• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive had Gaines pegged as a 2nd rounder since the A&M game. His stock still has a bit to go up, imo, unless he falters at the combine

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin Pryor Scouting report:

Calvin Pryor – Safety

Pryor is a third-year junior and has been starting since his freshman year. He is a big, physical safety who loves to hit and throw his body around. His estimated size is 6’2 -210, and he has very good play speed. I would estimate his speed at 4.48. To go along with size and speed, Pryor is a very good athlete. He can change direction, plays with bend, and has a smooth turn. He shows he has a quick and low back pedal and can come out of his pedal and break on the ball without wasted steps.

Depending on the defense called, Pryor can be lined up both deep or near the line of scrimmage. He is an instinctive, quick reacting player who almost always seems to be in the right position. He is very good in run support, reacting quickly and being physical. He comes up and does a very good job getting rid of blocks and is an excellent tackler. He is one of the more explosive tacklers I have seen this year. Pryor is a top competitor who consistently chases the ball and always takes good angles.

In coverage, you don’t see him in man coverage much, but he is a very good zone player who does an excellent job picking up receivers crossing into his zone. He has excellent range to get to the sideline and help out over the top. His awareness is usually very good, but I did see him blow a coverage in one game where he was late reacting to a receiver breaking deep. Other than that play, his reactions have been good. While you don’t see him play man-to-man coverage, he has the tools to be a very good man-cover player. You see his hips and turn ability while in zone.

Pryor is one of the better safeties I have seen this year. He has the tools to be a top NFL safety and can play either strong or free. He has excellent size and can be a violent hitter. I see him as a starter his rookie year. A very solid “A” level player who should be drafted high.

Calvin Pryor

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Coregeous??? :rolleyes2: Running into a burning building to save someone is courageous. This guy said he's a homosexual in an age where people almost definitely would have found out anyway. What a stupid, lame attempt at making this guy something he's not.

It's absolutely courageous. He's likely jeopardizing his draft status, which could cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars, if he's even drafted. Beyond that, at a minimum he's opening himself up to ridicule and increased scrutiny. At worst, he's opening himself up to violence.

There have been a number of gay players in the NFL. None has come out while in the league. There is a reason for that. This took guts by Sam, and I for one respect that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's absolutely courageous.

The story was discovered at the senior bowl. It wasn't courageous. It was acknowledging something that was going to be public knowledge anyway.

And he's still going to be drafted around the same range as before. He's a mid-to-late-round caliber prospect, and that's what he's going to be.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The story was discovered at the senior bowl. It wasn't courageous. It was acknowledging something that was going to be public knowledge anyway.

And he's still going to be drafted around the same range as before. He's a mid-to-late-round caliber prospect, and that's what he's going to be.

There's a difference between NFL front offices knowing something and everyone knowing something. And even if it's likely that word of this would have gotten out, I don't see how it's markedly less courageous. Word was getting out because he told his entire team. Coming out to a major college football team takes some real balls. If I were in his position - and granted I'm not 260 pounds of muscle - I'd be legitimately concerned for my safety, not to mention concerns about being kicked off the team or harassed beyond the point of being able to focus on playing. Again, if this were no big deal, others would have done it long before now.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is doing something that most gay athletes waited until they were out of the league to do. I would say its courageous. Simply because nobody else in his shoes came out from the get go. Entering a league that isn't too high on it.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a lot of Roby from this season. If it wasn't for the WR dropping the ball after he was rolling out of bounds he would have given up 3 TDs vs Cal alone. I'm wondering how many TDs he gave up all season because it must be a lot. He was getting burned for them in other games I caught as well. Seems to me he is a reliable and willing run game tackler and pass defender for 15 yards or less. He also excels on weak side tackles or special teams plays as the safety guy because his long speed is insane for catching guys that are gone. So how is this guy a first round CB?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He is doing something that most gay athletes waited until they were out of the league to do. I would say its courageous. Simply because nobody else in his shoes came out from the get go. Entering a league that isn't too high on it.

This is like if Prince Harry's wife gets pregnant and a reporter discovers it & Harry tweets "My wife is pregnant" before the media does. This wasn't about courage; it was about him breaking the story instead of a reporter doing so. Either way it was gonna happen before the draft.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now for Keith McGill the CB of Utah. I guess a point could be made that he played soft this past season because he was coming off a shoulder injury that sidelined him the year before but it is still very troubling. He flat out refuses to get off of WRs blocking him in the run game. His tackling is a joke. He is only interested in diving and reaching at ankles to throw a guy off balance and avoid any contact for himself to the ball carrier. The one area he has ability is mirroring guys on go routes. He stays with them and uses his massive length to defend the ball. Other than that he is a major injury question mark and super raw since he has very little experience playing CB. He'll take risks on double moves and get popped for it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is like if Prince Harry's wife gets pregnant and a reporter discovers it & Harry tweets "My wife is pregnant" before the media does. This wasn't about courage; it was about him breaking the story instead of a reporter doing so. Either way it was gonna happen before the draft.

The topic is a little different. And again, word is only getting out because he previously came out to his teammates. Not to mention that widespread dissemination of the story is far from assured, particularly if he denied it. There were rumors that Kerry Rhodes was gay, but nothing ever really came of it because he denied them.

And I don't think Harry is married, for what it's worth.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now for Keith McGill the CB of Utah. I guess a point could be made that he played soft this past season because he was coming off a shoulder injury that sidelined him the year before but it is still very troubling. He flat out refuses to get off of WRs blocking him in the run game. His tackling is a joke. He is only interested in diving and reaching at ankles to throw a guy off balance and avoid any contact for himself to the ball carrier. The one area he has ability is mirroring guys on go routes. He stays with them and uses his massive length to defend the ball. Other than that he is a major injury question mark and super raw since he has very little experience playing CB. He'll take risks on double moves and get popped for it.

Good assessment. He moved from safety to CB partly because of his poor tackling technique and also because there was a bigger need there. He was highly touted coming out of JC college, but never lived up to the hype. Like you mentioned- his injury history is also a major concern.

Great size and speed for his size, but his toughness has been an issue in the past. Too risky for a potential 2nd-3rd round pick (especially with the depth at CB this draft).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So since we are probably looking at a safety that doesn't have to be strictly strong then Ladler in his current 4th-5th round projection has me heavily interested.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So since we are probably looking at a safety that doesn't have to be strictly strong then Ladler in his current 4th-5th round projection has me heavily interested.

You're the 2nd person to mention that guy lately. I don't know man. He just kinda seems like small potatoes to me.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Maybe, but there's no guaranteeing that:

Michael Sam - DL - Tigers

The MMQB's Peter King spoke to one NFL General Manager who does not expect Missouri edge rusher Michael Sam to be drafted.

"We talked about it this week," the GM said of Sam's sexual orientation. "First of all, we don’t think he’s a very good player. The reality is he’s an overrated football player in our estimation. Second: He’s going to have expectations about where he should be drafted, and I think he’ll be disappointed." The general manager went on to say that he thinks the news will impact the locker room of the team that selects Sam. It is worthwhile to note that this is just one decision maker, and others do not necessarily share the same sentiment.
Source: The MMQB

Feb 10 - 8:55 AM

SI's Pete Thamel and Thayer Evans spoke to multiple NFL evaluators who expressed concern as to how teams might react to Missouri edge rusher Michael Sam's sexual orientation.

"I just know with this going on this is going to drop him down," one veteran NFL scout told the two writers. "There's no question about it. It's human nature. Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote 'break that barrier?'" A personnel assistant added "I don't think football is ready for it just yet. In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's man game." Our own Josh Norris considered Michael Sam a day three talent prior to the news and will continue to slot him in the fourth- to seventh-round.
Source: Sports Illustrated

Feb 10 - 8:36 AM

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Maybe, but there's no guaranteeing that:

The MMQB's Peter King spoke to one NFL General Manager who does not expect Missouri edge rusher Michael Sam to be drafted.

"We talked about it this week," the GM said of Sam's sexual orientation. "First of all, we don’t think he’s a very good player. The reality is he’s an overrated football player in our estimation. Second: He’s going to have expectations about where he should be drafted, and I think he’ll be disappointed." The general manager went on to say that he thinks the news will impact the locker room of the team that selects Sam. It is worthwhile to note that this is just one decision maker, and others do not necessarily share the same sentiment.
Source: The MMQB

Feb 10 - 8:55 AM

Peter King knows about as much about football as Rodney King knew about polite, gentle treatment from the LAPD. What a stupid thing to say. He's not a very good player? :rolleyes2: He was the SEC defensive player of the year. You don't win that award sucking your profession (no pun intended).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Calvin Pryor Scouting report:

Calvin Pryor – Safety

Pryor is a third-year junior and has been starting since his freshman year. He is a big, physical safety who loves to hit and throw his body around. His estimated size is 6’2 -210, and he has very good play speed. I would estimate his speed at 4.48. To go along with size and speed, Pryor is a very good athlete. He can change direction, plays with bend, and has a smooth turn. He shows he has a quick and low back pedal and can come out of his pedal and break on the ball without wasted steps.

Depending on the defense called, Pryor can be lined up both deep or near the line of scrimmage. He is an instinctive, quick reacting player who almost always seems to be in the right position. He is very good in run support, reacting quickly and being physical. He comes up and does a very good job getting rid of blocks and is an excellent tackler. He is one of the more explosive tacklers I have seen this year. Pryor is a top competitor who consistently chases the ball and always takes good angles.

In coverage, you don’t see him in man coverage much, but he is a very good zone player who does an excellent job picking up receivers crossing into his zone. He has excellent range to get to the sideline and help out over the top. His awareness is usually very good, but I did see him blow a coverage in one game where he was late reacting to a receiver breaking deep. Other than that play, his reactions have been good. While you don’t see him play man-to-man coverage, he has the tools to be a very good man-cover player. You see his hips and turn ability while in zone.

Pryor is one of the better safeties I have seen this year. He has the tools to be a top NFL safety and can play either strong or free. He has excellent size and can be a violent hitter. I see him as a starter his rookie year. A very solid “A” level player who should be drafted high.

Calvin Pryor

I would love for him to take over Whitner's spot, which would allow Eric Reid to remain at his current position. Or another option would be to draft Ha'Sean and because his range is better than Reid's I would then prefer to move Reid to Whitner's spot (SS), which would allow Ha-Ha to play FS. Last option is to add Justin Gilbert this would then allow us to move Culliver to free and Reid as a SS.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I had my eye on Pryor this year & was I impressed, but now that it looks like he'll be a first round pick he's off my radar. :(

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peter King knows about as much about football as Rodney King knew about polite, gentle treatment from the LAPD. What a stupid thing to say. He's not a very good player? :rolleyes2: He was the SEC defensive player of the year. You don't win that award sucking your profession (no pun intended).

Sick, I also don't think too highly of Peter King in regard to his journalistic skills. However, to his defense, what I think he means in terms of Sam not being very good is in reference to his future in the NFL. There were numerous reports during the Senior Bowl practices about how much he was struggling against "the best of the best". If you you scroll to several pages of this thread to find the reports I was posting about Sam, once you read the updates on the SB practices you would see that the reports on him would corroborate King's claims. C'mon man you are experience enough to know that college accolades means absolutely nothing as an indicator of future success in the NFL. Clowney played in the SEC, do you really think that Sam was truly the best prospect/player in the SEC. I don't even think that he was the best defensive player on his own Missouri team. The guy is a tweener and not athletic enough to make it in the NFL.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the 2nd person to mention that guy lately. I don't know man. He just kinda seems like small potatoes to me.

I'll take small potatoes in the 4th/5th round, a little seasoning from Donatell and...yum.