• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prospect Focus: Gabe Jackson and Charles Sims

Gabe Jackson – Guard – Mississippi State

Size – 6033v – 339v – 5.20est

Strong Points – Huge man, very strong and explosive, run block, pass block, uses hands, anchor, athlete

Weak Points – Can look tentative in space when pulling

Summation – Gabe is a fifth-year senior and a four-year starter for the Bulldogs, He lines up at left guard. He is a huge man at 6033 – 339 with good arm length (33”). Despite his size, Jackson is very athletic and moves well in space. With his size, he is not only strong but very explosive.

Jackson always plays from a left handed three-point stance and has really good snap reaction. He gets to his blocks quickly and is very explosive on contact. I saw a number of run blocks where the knees of his opponent buckled when contact was made. Jackson stays low with his run blocks and keeps his feet moving. He can consistently gain ground with his run blocks. Big guys can often struggle getting to the second level. That is not the case with Jackson. He takes good angles out to linebackers and can adjust on the move. If there is a flaw in his game, it’s with pulls. He seems hesitant at times on who to hit and needs to adjust his footwork. Still, you see enough good things to know that he shouldn’t have a problem pulling in the NFL.
Jackson is a very consistent pass protector. He sets quickly and has a strong punch. He can play with bend and has the quick feet to slide, recover, and mirror his opponent. With his size, power, and bend, he has excellent anchor ability and never gets pushed back. He has good posture when pass blocking and stays square to the line.

Jackson is a very talented lineman. If there is a lineman other than a tackle who has a chance to be drafted in the first round this year, it's Jackson. He is the best interior lineman I have done, to date, this year. He should start for most teams as a rookie and be a productive pro.

Grade – A 6.7

Charles Sims – Running Back – West Virginia

Size – 5117v – 214v – 4.50est

Strong Points – Size, athlete, speed, outside run, instincts, cutback skills, hands

Weak Points – Not a top yards-after-contact type, pass blocking, run blocking

Summation – Sims began his career at Houston and was a two-year starter there. He enrolled in 2009 and played in a rotation. He redshirted in 2010 and was the starter in 2011 and 2012. He graduated in the spring of 2012 and transferred to West Virginia for his final year of eligibility.

Sims has good size for the position. At the Senior Bowl, he measured 5117 – 214 but also had small 8.25” hands. He is an athletic back with good play speed (4.50 est.). He has been a productive back, gaining 1,095 yards and averaging 5.3 yards per carry and 11 TDs. He also caught 45 passes for 401 yards and three TDs. In his three years at Houston, he ran for over 2,300 yards and had 158 receptions.

At West Virginia, Sims plays from a spread formation. They usually line up with one RB, but there are times when they have to RBs in the backfield. Sims has good initial quickness and is quick to the hole. He has good vision and instincts and does a good job seeing/finding cutback lanes. While he has good size, he is not a power runner. His production is because of his speed and instincts. He is not a tackle breaker, and his yards-after-contact is just above average. Sims is best outside. He has a burst to turn the corner and the speed to break long runs. He has the quick feet and loose hips to be elusive and make people miss in the open.

As a receiver, though his hands are small, he is very reliable. In the tapes viewed, I did not see him used much as a route runner. He was more a screen guy and checkdown receiver. Still, he catches the ball well and is a good runner after the catch. His career production as a receiver tells us that he is good. Sims is used to both run and pass block and is average at both. He is not an aggressive blocker, nor does he get and keep good position.

Though talented, I do not see Sims as a full-time back at the next level. He needs to improve his blocking and run-after-contact skills. He can be a valuable player in a rotation and may eventually start when he develops his overall game. Right now I see him as a “B” level player who has a chance to contribute as a rookie.

Grade – B 6.5

NFL Prospect Focus: Gabe Jackson and Charles Sims | National Football Post

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems like he would represent good value as well as upside. The downside may be that he isn't quite NFL ready, but a solid developmental guy that could start in a couple years.

Why do you peg him as a developmental guy? He seems to have physicality and skill to start right away,

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What's the feeling people are getting on Odell Beckham Jr? I'm seeing a really wide variety of opinions on the guy. Like really high to really low.

I was under the impression people considered him a late-2nd rounder to early 3rd rounder, and that's why he was starting to grow on me. But maybe he's growing on scouts too? Can't tell.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What's the feeling people are getting on Odell Beckham Jr? I'm seeing a really wide variety of opinions on the guy. Like really high to really low.

I was under the impression people considered him a late-2nd rounder to early 3rd rounder, and that's why he was starting to grow on me. But maybe he's growing on scouts too? Can't tell.

I don't have a personal opinion, but I've seen him mention A LOT for the Niners at 30.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you peg him as a developmental guy? He seems to have physicality and skill to start right away,

It was basing it on lack of experience, but after reading more-I realize that he did start 7 games in 2011 and 5 games in 2012. I thought he really only had one season of starting experience.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion of Beckaham is extremely high. Its possible hes there in the second round for the Niners pick but I would even take him late first. I have watched him most of his college career. I rank him third in the draft behind Watkins and Mike Evans. He has strong hands, good speed, explosive as a kick returner. I think he could be a great asset to the Niners. I like Jaris Landry too. I would be happy if we could pick either up in the late first to our second round pick. He is not as flashy as some of the sexier picks but I think he will be a solid number2 receiver at worst in the nfl with the potential to be a bona fide number 1. Watkins and Evans I think are better but I doubt either one lasts until the Niners pick. Lee I don't trust he looked impressive against the PAC 12 Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Landry, And Benjamin looked good against far superior teams. Again my opinion But I think Beckham would be awesome for the niners.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure I like him in the 1st round, there aren't many WR's this year that I would want in the 1st.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

To me he's a clone of Randall Cobb of the Packers. A guy who's not really a #1 receiver, but good enough to be a gadget / great #2 receiver. They have similar game breaking speed, and both players are very dangerous in the open field with the ball in their hands. Not quite shifty or elusive, but they are able to beat man-coverage at will, make guys miss on their own uncanny ways. Both men are able to elevate your special teams unit. Beckham is just as muscular as Cobb, and about an inch or two taller.

If Cobb was in the draft this year, would you have selected him with the 30th pick? If you say yes, then you would feel comfortable drafting Beckham with your 30th pick this year. I would hate to see him play for the Seahawks. He needs to go to a team like the Saints, Cards, Colts, or 9ers.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Timmy Jernigan - DL - Seminoles

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay continues to move Florida State's Timmy Jernigan up his board, this time placing the DT at No. 5 overall.

"ernigan is a very disruptive player, a classic 3-technique defensive tackle who can get into opposing backfields and wreak havoc with his very good first-step quickness and range versus the run," McShay writes. The next interior defensive lineman on McShay's board does not appear until No. 15, which is Stephon Tuitt from Notre Dame. Tuitt's teammate, Louis Nix, checks in at No. 17.
Source: ESPN

Feb 7 - 11:26 AM

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To me he's a clone of Randall Cobb of the Packers. A guy who's not really a #1 receiver, but good enough to be a gadget / great #2 receiver. They have similar game breaking speed, and both players are very dangerous in the open field with the ball in their hands. Not quite shifty or elusive, but they are able to beat man-coverage at will, make guys miss on their own uncanny ways. Both men are able to elevate your special teams unit. Beckham is just as muscular as Cobb, and about an inch or two taller.

If Cobb was in the draft this year, would you have selected him with the 30th pick? If you say yes, then you would feel comfortable drafting Beckham with your 30th pick this year. I would hate to see him play for the Seahawks. He needs to go to a team like the Saints, Cards, Colts, or 9ers.

Don't like Beckham, but numbers don't lie, 83% of his receptions went for 1st downs.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't like Beckham, but numbers don't lie, 83% of his receptions went for 1st downs.

So why wouldn't you like him? All of his numbers a good, whether if it's receiving or in the return game. He covers two needs for us, slot (or #2) wr and dynamic kr/pr.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...As much as I love the CB class this year, I'm not as enamoured of the safety class as most people here.

Deone Bucannon for example: I'm not seeing it. I mean I'm REALLY not seeing it. This guy doesn't just look like a guy I don't want; he looks downright bad by NFL standards.

The other Dion (Bailey)... meh. Not impressed. Also doesn't help he's a USC safety.

Calvin Pryor was always an interesting prospect to me, but like Justin Gilbert he's been priced out of a good value by now IMO.

Never thought Ed Reynolds was much of a prospect in terms of coverage ability.

Lamarcus Joyner's the only one who's even remotely intriguing to me.

What about Kenny Ladler?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So why wouldn't you like him? All of his numbers a good, whether if it's receiving or in the return game. He covers two needs for us, slot (or #2) wr and dynamic kr/pr.

He's projected to be a fringe 1st/2nd round pick. I put up a side by side with Emmanuel Sanders and don't see much of a difference with the exception that Beckham's hands are top notch then again he's not as fast as Sanders, but I feel like they play the game with two very similar styles. In the 1st and 2nd round I'm looking for a guy that has a higher ceiling than Beckham's. I have faith in Patton being our slot guy and a returner can be had later in the draft.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love me some Landry.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gTJHMwF2k]Jarvis Landry Career Highlight - YouTube[/ame]

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dee Ford - DL - Tigers

ESPN's Louis Riddick continues to hear how exceptional Auburn edge rusher Dee Ford's personal and football character are.

Riddick notes this will go over well at the Combine. Ford, who produced very good tape this season and an even better Senior Bowl, has been called a gym junkie who prioritizes health and fitness. Our own Josh Norris recently ranked Ford over UCLA's Anthony Barr.
Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

Feb 9 - 10:24 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stanley Jean-Baptiste - DB - Cornhuskers

Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste is the "kind of long, rangy defender that NFL scouts are coveting in the wake of the Seattle Seahawks' success this season," according to NFL.com's Bucky Brooks.

Jean-Baptiste's size (6-foot-2 3/8, 215 pounds) has drawn plenty of attention from scouts since the season ended and his collegiate eligibility exhausted. "He displays exceptional ball skills and awareness for a man of his size," Brooks wrote. "Now, some of that is to be expected based on his experience as a receiver -- Jean-Baptiste played wide receiver for nearly two seasons at Nebraska before moving to cornerback. He naturally plucked the ball in drills and showed excellent awareness defending receivers on deep balls. With Jean-Baptiste possessing the size and movement skills to snuff out elite receivers in press coverage, the buzz is building for Jean-Baptiste to enter the conversation as a top cornerback prospect."
Source: NFL.com

Jan 21 - 11:01 AM

[YOUTUBE]cq-FztyrMqQ[/YOUTUBE]

I know I posted this up already, but I must do it again.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know I posted this up already, but I must do it again.

I kept falling in and out of love with Baptiste. He needs to become a lot more consistent and IIRC he doesn't give the effort you'd like on many plays.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I kept falling in and out of love with Baptiste. He needs to become a lot more consistent and IIRC he doesn't give the effort you'd like on many plays.

Unlike the WR position, I think over the years our recent history have shown that we do a good job in developing our DBs. Especially the cornerback position. For instance, guys like Brock, Brown, and Spencer became solid players and were seen as more than just a role player for us. This is great news considering the fact that they were drafted outside of the first round. I wonder what we can do with a player selected in the first round (posses more skills/better instincts/better upside/etc.) such as Justin Gilbert?. What I'm trying to say is, based on our history I wouldn't worry about Jean-Baptiste's current flaws which are obviously coachable. Remember, he's a former wide receiver. Under our system I think in due time he too would develop to be great player. He might be the next Sean Smith at the very least.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jadeveon Clowney - DL - Gamecocks

ESPN's Louis Riddick sees three pass rushers who can win one on one on the edge in the 2014 class.

"That's it," Riddick tweeted. "Key point being 1 on 1 rush." We think two of the three are obvious: South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney and Buffalo's Khalil Mack. The third could be a number of prospects, but we would guess Auburn's Dee Ford. A few other possibilities include Marcus Smith from Louisville, Jeremiah Attaochu from Georgia Tech and Anthony Barr from UCLA.
Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

Feb 9 - 11:27 AM