• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I like the options.. I think they are all players most of us have opined about in the not so distant past.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Figured that a mock might get more attention here. Unless people just don't like me.. which happens..

rough draft v 1.0

round 1 -- TRADE UP... If Sammy Watkins falls below #5, I want us to give up our first and third this year, first and 4th next season. Obvious need and imo would bring the explosiveness to give Crabtree and Vernon more room to play. Also, gives us insurance if Crabbers wants top 5 WR money after next season.

round 2a -- Travis Swanson, C, Ark -- Obvious center need, strong pass blocker and several year starter in SEC. Good run blocker over his career.

round 2b -- TRADE UP -- I would love for us to move our first third round pick, LaMichael James and a 6th next year to get a total of 3 picks in the 2nd round. Kyle Fuller, CB from VT to me fits what we look for in size/speed characteristics. 3 1/2 year starter with solid tackling ability and good coaching.

round 2c -- Tre Jackson, G, FSU -- good young player with strong potential to replace Iupati if he walks in a year or two or has any more of these nagging injury concerns.

round 3(comp) -- Going back to VT to actually mine for a safety with dual ability. Antoine Exum, S, Vt good size, potentially an underranked player due to injury concerns.

round 4 -- Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley St. -- I think with Manningham, Boldin(imo), and Jon Baldwin exiting stage right, we need depth at this position. Big, good sized kid with strong production; of course, it is saginaw valley st, so I am sure he was playing against ppl like me.. (no offense to opponents of sag. vall st.

round 5 -- Aaron Colvin, CB, OK -- would have been much higher if not for a ripped up knee last week. Stash him on IR similar to what we did with Lattimore/Carradine. gives potential depth if Cully doesn't return to whatever form he had before and if we do end up losing brock/brown/rogers/wright over the next two seasons.

round 6 and on -- BPA..

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured that a mock might get more attention here. Unless people just don't like me.. which happens..

rough draft v 1.0

round 1 -- TRADE UP... If Sammy Watkins falls below #5, I want us to give up our first and third this year, first and 4th next season. Obvious need and imo would bring the explosiveness to give Crabtree and Vernon more room to play. Also, gives us insurance if Crabbers wants top 5 WR money after next season.

round 2a -- Travis Swanson, C, Ark -- Obvious center need, strong pass blocker and several year starter in SEC. Good run blocker over his career.

round 2b -- TRADE UP -- I would love for us to move our first third round pick, LaMichael James and a 6th next year to get a total of 3 picks in the 2nd round. Kyle Fuller, CB from VT to me fits what we look for in size/speed characteristics. 3 1/2 year starter with solid tackling ability and good coaching.

round 2c -- Tre Jackson, G, FSU -- good young player with strong potential to replace Iupati if he walks in a year or two or has any more of these nagging injury concerns.

round 3(comp) -- Going back to VT to actually mine for a safety with dual ability. Antoine Exum, S, Vt good size, potentially an underranked player due to injury concerns.

round 4 -- Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley St. -- I think with Manningham, Boldin(imo), and Jon Baldwin exiting stage right, we need depth at this position. Big, good sized kid with strong production; of course, it is saginaw valley st, so I am sure he was playing against ppl like me.. (no offense to opponents of sag. vall st.

round 5 -- Aaron Colvin, CB, OK -- would have been much higher if not for a ripped up knee last week. Stash him on IR similar to what we did with Lattimore/Carradine. gives potential depth if Cully doesn't return to whatever form he had before and if we do end up losing brock/brown/rogers/wright over the next two seasons.

round 6 and on -- BPA..

wat?

You expect to trade up for Watkins and still keep all those picks?

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
wat?

You expect to trade up for Watkins and still keep all those picks?

Looking back at the Julio Jones trade ATL made coming from a similar position in the first round to move up to 6, the only difference was they included a second round pick instead of a 3rd in the same year.

With that in mind, say we move our 2nd round pick in addition to the other picks (while removing the 3rd round) would that be completely out of the question to get arguably the biggest playmaker at arguably our biggest position of need?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Aaron Colvin in the 5th?

Stranger things have happened I guess.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Aaron Colvin in the 5th?

Stranger things have happened I guess.

would be middle third except he ripped his knee apart.. What are your thoughts on him as a prospect if you don't mind me asking Sick?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
would be middle third except he ripped his knee apart.. What are your thoughts on him as a prospect if you don't mind me asking Sick?

:doh:

Y'know what I did? I saw Oklahoma CB & I thought Oklahoma state & then I thought Justin Gilbert.

My mistake. I was thinking of the wrong guy.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Seantrel Henderson - T - Hurricanes

Miami T Seantrel Henderson struggled during the Senior Bowl.

A forgettable week of practice culminated in a game in which Henderson repeatedly allowed North edge rushers to pressure his quarterbacks. "This film is going to be scrutinized more than any tape they put out there," North coach Mike Smith of the Atlanta Falcons said. That's not a comforting thought for the massive tackle. Rotoworld's Josh Norris noted the drop of Henderson's stock in his Senior Bowl Review column. "Henderson seemed to plateau and failed to use his combination of athleticism and strength effectively," Norris wrote. "I still think Henderson can be successful if he lands with the right team."
Source: NFL.com

Jan 26 - 8:15 PM

Sweet! Hope his stock keeps tumbling so the Niners can pick him up in the 3rd or 4th!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This is the Sickness Dream Draft at this point (I think the pick-numbers are right):

*49ers trade 77 & 94 for 57

30: Bradley Roby
56: Dominique Easley
57: Lamarcus Joyner
61: Dante Moncrief
3rd: compensatory? - Seantrel Henderson

4th & Later:

Don't know, but I like Connor Shaw & James Stone (if Stone even exists; I'm starting to think he's a figment of my imagination; nobody ever mentions him for some reason).

Address C & CB (the other starter) in FA. Maybe FS too depending on Culliver.

Note: I'd also love trading up from 56 to get Stephon Tuitt in the late first if he's there.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Loving me some Moncrief. Him and Bucannon in the 2nd would float my boat. I really can't believe how little Moncrief is talked about. He is the total package. Size, hands, routes, run blocking, acceleration, I don't see him caught from behind either. I think if he had a decent QB he would be talked about as a first round pick. Well there is still the combine so he could blow that up and wind up there anyway. I'm kind of hoping he doesn't time well so we can steal him. He clearly has game speed so I'm not worried about his 40 time.

Thank you!!! You're maybe the first person I've read who's joining me imbibing of the Moncrief Koolaid. I like Jordan Matthews a lot, but when I saw Moncrief play I was like...

Moncrief is bigger. Moncrief is faster. They both are similar, but Moncrief is both bigger & faster. Why is Matthews ranked ahead of Moncrief again?

People see Moncrief run & they don't realize how big the guy is. He's listed at 6'3 223. That's the same height & 3 pounds bigger than Julio Jones.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aaron Colvin - DB - Player

Oklahoma CB Aaron Colvin underwent ACL surgery on Monday.

Colvin suffered the ligament tear in Senior Bowl practice. A second-day pick possibility before the ACL injury, Colvin now figures to be available in rounds 5-7. The good news is he suffered a "clean" tear, involving only the ACL. Colvin will have a chance to contribute late in his rookie season.
Source: Ken Sarnoff on Twitter

Jan 27 - 1:28 PM

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
then why is Moncrief not getting the hype?

Laquoan Treadwill is the better WR on the team, IMO. Moncrief doesn't flash to me, he should be far more imposing for his size especially when the ball is in the air.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bingo, can you try to pull up Andrew Jackson's report. Western Kentucky

I saw him play against 'Bama for the first time last year and he got eaten up alive on that game by Barret Jones and DJ Fluker. Perhaps it wasn't his fault b/c if your dlinemen are outmatched by the opposing offensive line unit, there's not much you can do when offensive linemen are already in the second level… Despite that he didn't show that he had enough speed or agility to play with the big boys.

However, I also seen a couple other games he has played in 2012 and one game this year in which I can't recall against whom. The guy is a thumper!! He knows how to shoot gaps and deliver the big hits on running backs behind the LOS. He reminds me a lot of Vontaze Burfict with regard to his instincts and his ability to deliver punishing hits. I really admire his tenacity!!

HOWEVER, he is a liability against much faster players such as an athletic pass catching tall TE. We ask a lot of our ILBs to be able to play man-to-man against TEs. I think he would struggle mightily with that particular assignment. Also, I questioned his speed, he takes forever to get sidelines to sidelines. He's the type of MLB that will be able to play extremely well against a power back such as Lacy, Zach Stacy, and Lynch, but really struggle against a Giovanni Bernard, Andre Ellington, Isiah Pead. He is a guy I would definitely welcome to see in a 49ers uni, he has that mentality, tenacity that we play with - but at the same time he's a liability in certain aspect of the game.

I like him just as much as I like Telvin Smith of FSU. Jackson I think will get drafted first, but Smith, being that he's a former safety, would fit right in our system with regard to having the innate skills set to run and cover backs and TEs. If Smith can be stashed on our practice squad for 2 years and put him in a serious training program to gain weight, that dude would be a beast in the league. He's only been a starter as a LB for one year, and has accomplished a whole lot in this short period of time.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread about Smith, but to answer your question, Jackson in the right defense would make a team very proud in a short period of time. he has the "it" factor - you just have to hide his deficiencies similar to how the Seahawks are able to hide Kam Chancellor's as SS in their scheme.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chris Borland - LB - Badgers

Wisconsin ILB Chris Borland posted a +2.9 grade during the Senior Bowl, according to Pro Football Focus' scale.

Borland recorded a +1.6 against the run and and +1.3 in coverage. The senior received rave reviews throughout the week. We expected the Zach Thomas comparisons, since Borland does make the most of his size and length to attack blockers and work in tight spaces. He will have to sustain backfield vision in the NFL, however. A second day pick could be in Borland's future. He was limited to 19 defensive snaps in the game.
Source: Pro Football Focus

Jan 27 - 10:01 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Cardinals

Louisville junior QB Teddy Bridgewater is working with Chris Weinke during his pre-draft preparation.

"I think maybe the misperception on him is he’s not a real vocal guy, right? I can tell you he’s got a real burning desire to be great and his leadership skills are simple shown kind of through example," Weinke said. The former Panthers quarterback worked with Cam Newton prior to the Auburn Tiger's No. 1 selection in 2011. Our own Josh Norris believes Bridgewater is clearly the top passer in this class.
Source: Courier Journal

Jan 27 - 10:08 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnny Manziel - QB - Aggies

Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel is a better version of Fran Tarkenton, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

"I do have a tremendous belief in him," Brandt said of Manziel. "If you don’t have a quarterback, and you want one, I believe this guy has a great chance to be good for a long time." Brandt recently ranked Manziel as his No. 1 player in this class. The former NFL exec added he does not feel that any questions surrounding Manziel's off-field personality will hold him back.
Source: The MMQB

Jan 27 - 10:16 AM

Johnny Manziel - QB - Aggies

Former NFL exec Greg Gabriel believes Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel will be a very good player at the next level.

"Overall, Manziel is unique. He is not for everyone," Gabriel writes. "The team that drafts him has to have a plan and play to his strengths. He is not nor will he ever be a conventional pro style drop back passer." Gabriel then added he sees bits of Russell Wilson, Brett Favre and Drew Brees in Manziel's game. Our own Josh Norris believes Manziel's pocket movement is his gift and curse. The quarterback's development will be fun to watch.
Source: National Football Post

Jan 27 - 10:43 AM