• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Blake Bortles - QB - Player

One NFL scout told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that UCF QB Blake Bortles has a chance to be the No. 1 overall pick.

"Bortles is a stud," said the scout. "This guy may end up being the No. 1 overall pick. Big, tough, athletic, strong-armed, intelligent." We're fast approaching Lying Season in the NFL, where anonymous scouts use the media to influence the draft stock of certain players they like or dislike, but there is enough traction behind Bortles as a high pick that we're beginning to buy the hype. Both CBS Sports' Dane Brugler and TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline have pegged Bortles as the favorite to be Houston's selection at No. 1 overall.
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Jan 10 - 2:09 PM

Blake Bortles favored to be No. 1 draft pick?

Draft Insider Tony Pauline writes that UCF QB Blake Bortles is a "clear-cut favorite" to be the Texans' pick at No. 1 overall.

Pauline believes Texans owner Bob McNair prefers Johnny Manziel, but Bortles is a "Bill O'Brien type of passer," and Houston seems likely to lock in on signal callers with the draft's top pick. Bortles has drawn media comparisons ranging from Jake Locker to Andrew Luck. In his latest mock draft, Pauline pencils in Bortles at No. 1, and Texas A&M LT Jake Matthews at No. 2 to St. Louis.
Source: TFY Draft Insider

Jan 10 - 11:21 AM

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Too early mock based on the Blake Bortles news:

1.) Houston, Blake Bortles
2.) Oakland, Teddy Bridgewater (trade w/ Rams)
3.) Jacksonville, Johnny Manziel
4.) Cleveland, Sammy Watkins
5.) St. Louis, Greg Robinson
6.) Atlanta, Jadeveon Clowney
7.) Tampa Bay, Jake Matthews
8.) Minnesota, Derrek Carr
9.) Buffalo Bills, Anthony Barr
10.) Detroit, CJ Mosley

Minnesota is the candidate I think has the strongest chance to move up to pick #2 to select a QB. However, the Rams would be reluctant to trade with an NFC team. They would much rather trade with an AFC team.

Cleveland is out of luck realizing that their top 3 QBs on their board are all gone. So their next plan is to draft their QB later on with their 2nd first round pick. Knowing that that particular QB (Zach Mattenberger) will not be an elite player per se, they will try to reward him with elite weapons.

The Rams who traded back to pick number 5 made the huge mistake not once but twice in passing up on Clowney in the early part of the first round. Robinson I'm starting to think is better suited to play in the rough NFC West division. He's a mauler and is a little better equipped to play against elite fronts sevens such as the 49ers, Seahawks, and Cardinals.

As for the Falcons, they're doing cartwheels realizing that the best player in this entire draft was still there for pick at #6. As much as they would like to protect Matty Ice with Jake Matthews, they realize that a talent of magnitude in Jadeveon couldn't be ignored. That is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get such an impact player beyond the top 5 pick. So they had to pull the trigger - Matty Ice completely understands and is also ecstatic of that draft pick.

Tampa Bay will enter the year wanting to give Mike Glennon another full season to evaluate him thoroughly. He could very well be the 2014 version of Nick Foles in his second year. Matthews is a steal at that spot.

Buffalo...I was itching to show them selecting the local kid Khalil Mack, but I decided to go with the better backer in Barr. It seems as though the obvious pick would be Mack being that the Buffalo Bills scouts knows him very well. However, I remember last year their head coach was rumored to want his former college QB star Ryan Nassib but when the dust settled he went with another QB in EJ Manuel. So thus far, I'm assuming that this organization doesn't tend to get caught up in making homer picks. They don't show favoritism at all and let the evaluation process takes its course.

Detroit really needs a corner. Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard is the ideal pick. Earlier I spoke about how well informed the Bills' scouts are about Mack. Well the same situation exists for the Detroit Lions scouts in regard to Dennard. I strongly believe they would go with Dennard, but a player like CJ Mosley behind studs like Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley would be a spectacular thing to witness. Mosley would look like a poor man's Kuechly. They could still get a very good receiving threat in the 2nd round to pair up with Calvin.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Too early mock based on the Blake Bortles news:

1.) Houston, Blake Bortles
2.) Oakland, Teddy Bridgewater (trade w/ Rams)
3.) Jacksonville, Johnny Manziel
4.) Cleveland, Sammy Watkins
5.) St. Louis, Greg Robinson
6.) Atlanta, Jadeveon Clowney
7.) Tampa Bay, Jake Matthews
8.) Minnesota, Derrek Carr
9.) Buffalo Bills, Anthony Barr
10.) Detroit, Darqueze Dennard.

Detroit really needs a corner. Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard is the ideal pick. Earlier I spoke about how well informed the Bills' scouts are about Mack. Well the same situation exists for the Detroit Lions scouts in regard to Dennard. I strongly believe they would go with Dennard, but a player like CJ Mosley behind studs like Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley would be a spectacular thing to witness. Mosley would look like a poor man's Kuechly. They could still get a very good receiving threat in the 2nd round to pair up with Calvin.

I take that back Mosley should even be mentioned in the same breath to Kuechly. Luke has too rare of an instinct for the position. His speed to the ball makes him a dominant tackling machine. CJ is not that type of MLB. So sorry Kuechly I did not mean to disrespect you. Therefore I'm changing Detroit's pick to reflect a very good corner in Dennard.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dorial Green-Beckham - WR - Tigers

Missouri sophomore WR Dorial Green-Beckham was arrested early Saturday morning in his hometown of Springfield, Mo. on suspicion of drug activity.

"Green-Beckham was cited for alleged felony distribution or delivering less than five grams of marijuana, but was later released," per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Missouri's student newspaper spoke with a Greene County jail representative who stated the release likely means the receiver was not involved in what police thought he was. This is Green-Beckham's second run-in with police that involved drug activity.
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Jan 11 - 11:17 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Devonta Freeman - RB - Seminoles

Florida State junior RB Devonta Freeman will declare for the draft on Monday, according to NFL Network's Mike Silver.

The buzz has been pointing in this direction since the Noles won the National Championship. Our own Josh Norris is a massive fan of Freeman due to his Ahmad Bradshaw-esque style. The junior has a chance to contribute early thanks to his pass protection skill, not to mention Freeman attacks contact and beats it frequently.
Source: Mike Silver on Twitter

Jan 11 - 11:26 AM

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For CB next year (2015 draft) watch out for JaCorey Shepherd. He is an up and comer IMO, not quite Talib yet but I think he is comparable skill wise to where Aqib was when he was a junior.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
David Yankey, Zach Martin, Xavier Fia Filo, and maybe Gabe Jackson. All of which are great possibilities as well that can play center for us. I want to get a center in the 3rd round.

This is gonna sound weid coming from me because usually I have no problem having players switch positions, but if the Niners need a starting center right away I'm not so sure I'd want a guy who didn't play center in college over Looney or Kilgore.

The one exception might be Yankey because he plays for Stanford, and they might be similar in all the pre-snap stuff they do. But he'd be the tallest center in the NFL wouldn't he? I was never a huge fan of Yankey as a guard either. It would kind of feel like settling. I think the Niners need to get a veteran guy (FA or trade) or simply roll the dice with Looney / Kilgore. The latter would worry me because if Looney hasn't beaten out suckbag Goodwin yet then he must have problems.

Maybe the Giants would trade David Baas back to the Niners for a late-round pick. :think:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be absolutely shocked if Looney or Kilgore was not the starting center next season. They need to draft a solid guard with Kilgore being a swing G/C and Snyder backing up OT.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does anyone know anything about this small school prospect?

Terrance West - RB - Tigers

Towson junior RB Terrance West has declared for the 2014 NFL Draft.

West's agent will be Marc Lillibridge of Pro Football Syndicate. The soon to be 23-year-old rushed for 2,578 yards and 41 touchdowns this season. He was the most productive back, from a total figure standpoint, in the country.
Source: Neil Stratton on Twitter

Jan 8 - 10:43 AM

Last edited by a moderator:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either Hageman or Tuitt, I'm a Notre Dame fan so I think you'll know where my loyalties are, but I would be thrilled with either.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either Hageman or Tuitt, I'm a Notre Dame fan so I think you'll know where my loyalties are, but I would be thrilled with either.

I don't know if I see us going early for DL. Mid rounds maybe but not in the first three rounds. With Carradine coming in next year, Justin Smith getting extended and some young guys that have looked promising, I don't think that we will be taking anyone early.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I see us going early for DL. Mid rounds maybe but not in the first three rounds. With Carradine coming in next year, Justin Smith getting extended and some young guys that have looked promising, I don't think that we will be taking anyone early.

I forgot about Smith's extension. Thats right! I dont see dline now either.

Its stacking up like a trade up for Gilbert or Dennard (whoever grades higher). M

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going against such a physical team as the Seahawks, who do you guys like as a physical WR who in the draft might possibly have a chance against that tough secondary in Seattle?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oops! I just realized I posted the Ware story on the wrong thread. :doh:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going against such a physical team as the Seahawks, who do you guys like as a physical WR who in the draft might possibly have a chance against that tough secondary in Seattle?

Kelvin Benjamin really intrigues me. We might not have to trade up too far for him either, he might be the best value for us in the 1st.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelvin Benjamin really intrigues me. We might not have to trade up too far for him either, he might be the best value for us in the 1st.

I'm not so sure he would do well against Seattle. He doesn't have the greatest first step and he's not a guy who gets separation from physical corners. I get the feeling that Sherman would destroy him. Browner too.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnny Manziel - QB - Aggies

NFL.com's Gil Brandt tweeted on Monday that he was thinking about ranking Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel as the No. 1 prospect in the draft.

Brandt's rankings will be published on Wednesday. Manziel wasn't discussed as being Teddy Bridgewater's equal during the season, but his draft stock has been gaining serious steam recently. As we stand now, it doesn't appear as though there's any chance Manziel will drop past the Browns at No. 4. Houston, of course, could keep Johnny Football in the state of Texas if it invests the top pick in the former Heisman winner. Jacksonville, picking third, is also expected to draft a QB.
Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Jan 13 - 5:26 PM

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Browns are very high on Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel.

"The Browns are also very high on quarterback Johnny Manziel, sources said, who would be a perfect fit in a (Gus) Malzahn offense," La Canfora writes. This is the second report that linked Manziel to the Browns, the first coming from the MMQB's Peter King. Teams have not laid out there draft board at this time, and the Browns don't even have a head coach at this time, but the pick is not unlikely.
Source: CBS Sports

Jan 13 - 11:01 AM

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks ranked Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel as "1A and 1B" in a radio interview on Thursday.

"I would lump Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel as 1A and 1B, depending on what offense you have. Then after that, you have a clump of names that kind of go together," Brooks said. "You have Blake Bortles, you have Derek Carr, you have Zach Mettenberger, you could even throw in AJ McCarron in that clump, and it just depends on what you're looking for. Blake Bortles has a lot of upside, Blake Bortles could be the franchise guy that you're looking for. I just don't believe he's a finished product at this time. I think Derek Carr likewise has a lot of talent, a lot of ability, has been very productive in that system. The biggest thing with Derek Carr that you're looking at is pocket poise. ... Can he handle performing well in a chaotic pocket?" Manziel will be a top-10 selection in May. We believe he has a skill set similar to Tony Romo's, especially in the improvisational department.
Source: NFL.com

Jan 10 - 11:55 PM