• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He compares more favorably to Arian Foster IMO. Those long strides along with his burst makes him nearly impossible to stop behind the line. Ignore my sig, but Gordon is worth trading up for if he's projected to go in the middle 1st round.

I'm using a tablet to write this. I had written a detailed explanation as to why we should not draft Gordon in the first round (despite the fact that he is one of my fav players in this entire draft). I don't feel like I have it in me to try to remember all of my points I was making - and unlike a keyboard, a tablet is not as fast to write what you want. Basically, what I was saying is that the addition of Gordon (in the first round) would basically send us a clear message that our huge pick / investment on Lattimore was a wasted pick. I also mentioned that I would want to see how Hunter responds to a bigger workload in 2014; as we try to phase Gore out (not because of his inabilities, but because at his age we want to preserve him for the playoffs). We cannot afford to overwork Gore next year if we want to make it far in the playoffs. Going back to Lattimore though, I was once the biggest pessimist in regard to him being back to his old form. However, this kid's recovery is giving me major hope that he too (ML) can have a similar outcome. I'm interested to see ML as our feature back by the 8th game of the 2014 season. Wow! Look at me..! I ended up still writing a lot. Even though it is not nowhere near what I had initially wrote. So the kid I was comparing ML to (with regard to rehabbing a mashed up knee) is Henry Josey of Missouri. I still think Lattimore's injury was more severe and harder to come back from.

[YOUTUBE]cbVdaj-h70Q[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I've been a BIG fan of Melvin Gordon this year. Definitely made an effort to watch for him during the season, and was kind of surprised they didn't rely on him more in certain games (the loss to PSU, for example).

The 49ers haven't been shy about investing picks in RBs. Two 4th rounders and a 2nd round pick in the last 3 years, I believe. Still, depending on what happens with the depth chart and the offensively philosophy moving forward, I might be okay investing a pick in the position. The reservations I have relate to being able find capable runners who go undrafted. I think if you want ones with special physical gifts though, you kind of have to use a pick. I wouldn't want to spend a 1st round pick on one by any means, but Gordon's running style really appeals to me. I'm not sure this will make sense to anyone, but some of his big runs make me feel like I'm watching highlights from the '70s or something. His long strides and how fast he separates strike me as being from another era.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I've been a BIG fan of Melvin Gordon this year. Definitely made an effort to watch for him during the season, and was kind of surprised they didn't rely on him more in certain games (the loss to PSU, for example).

The 49ers haven't been shy about investing picks in RBs. Two 4th rounders and a 2nd round pick in the last 3 years, I believe. Still, depending on what happens with the depth chart and the offensively philosophy moving forward, I might be okay investing a pick in the position. The reservations I have relate to being able find capable runners who go undrafted. I think if you want ones with special physical gifts though, you kind of have to use a pick. I wouldn't want to spend a 1st round pick on one by any means, but Gordon's running style really appeals to me. I'm not sure this will make sense to anyone, but some of his big runs make me feel like I'm watching highlights from the '70s or something. His long strides and how fast he separates strike me as being from another era.

Wow, I think I realized where I got that idea from. I went back to check, and Herbstreit was calling the Wisconsin/Ohio State game earlier this year when he compared Gordon to Eric Dickerson in running style (graceful cuts, long strides, overall athleticism). That definitely rings true with me, and describes it better than I could.

I dig the Jamaal Charles comparison, too. Maybe even a more gifted Lamar Miller in a way, but that's a stretch.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Gordon is indeed special in that way. He is a big play waiting to happen, and he would really be considered yet another impact player on our offense that defenses must account for. You also made a very important statement: "The reservations I have relate to being able find capable runners who go undrafted." The player that fits that mold in the upcoming draft is Isaiah Crowell, former Univ. of Georgia running back. That kid is special man and we can afford to get him for cheap...dirt cheap. Arian Foster was a talented back who went undrafted due to character issues. Now look at him, we would kill for someone of his caliber. I think a player like Crowell would be a huge blessing for us.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnny Manziel - QB - Aggies

Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel told reporters he is ready for the NFL, but will consult with his family before making a decision about his future.

"More than anything, are you ready for the next level? You don’t want to go be unprepared for the National Football League or leave two years on the table," Manziel said. "In the grand scheme, it all comes down to making the best decision for you." It would be a shock if Manziel did not declare for the draft, Texas A&M faces Duke on Dec. 31. He threw for 33 touchdowns and 13 interceptions this season.
Source: Dallas Morning News

Dec 12 - 9:51AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ka'Deem Carey - RB - Wildcats

Arizona junior RB Ka'Deem Carey told reporters a top two round projection form the NFL Draft Advisory Board would be tough to pass up.

"There are a lot of things boiling in the pot that affect my decision," Carey told reporters. Last year's leading rusher offers ball carrying and receiving ability, but he might be a fringe top two round talent. It might be wise for all of the draft-eligible running backs to declare in order to get ahead of next year's loaded group.
Source: Arizona Daily Star

Dec 12 - 10:05 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2015 class will be deep as hell. And we're not even talking about the other positions yet:

Bryce Petty - QB - Bears

Baylor head coach Art Briles believes redshirt junior QB Bryce Petty will be a top five pick after next season.

"Now we have a good feel how Bryce functions, what he can do, and next year I think he'll be phenomenal. I think he'll be a top-five pick in 2015, no question," Briles said on the College Football 24/7. Petty will be competing with Florida State's Jameis Winston, Oregon's Marcus Mariota, and possibly UCF's Blake Bortles and Wyoming's Brett Smith.
Source: NFL.com

Dec 12 - 10:22 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel is "the most creative quarterback playmaker" he has scouted in 10 years.
Source: Fox Sports

Dec 12 - 2:10 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he needs to get away from Urban Meyer's offense and try to start learning a pro style offense. Meyer's offense will stunt your growth as a pure passer. At the same time I would have liked him to stay one more year in college. He throws with a lot of velocity, but often times they are inaccurate passes. He has so much potential!! I want to root for the guy but I don't know if he can ever improve totally as a passer to be considered a legitimate NFL starter:

Braxton Miller - QB - Buckeyes

Ohio State junior QB Braxton Miller potentially declaring for May's draft is "at the top of the mind with both the kid and the people around there," according to an NFL scout.

The underclassmen deadline to enter the draft is Jan. 15, 2014. The scout quoted believes that Miller could go as high as the second round if he declares early. "He's not a project," the scout said. "He's not a Tim Tebow-type player. But at the same time when you look at the throwing talent of other guys that are going to be in this class, he's not in the top tier either. He's got functional arm strength. He's probably in the middle 50 percent of arm strength that you see in the NFL. ... His accuracy has a lot of room for improvement."
Source: ohiostate.scout.com

Dec 12 - 6:17 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandin Cooks - WR - Beavers

Oregon State junior WR Brandin Cooks was named the Biletnikoff Award winner as the nation's most outstanding wide receiver.

Cooks put up video game numbers in 2013, hauling in 120 receptions for 1,670 yards and 13 touchdowns. Cooks is a dynamic playmaker often compared to current NFL stars Victor Cruz and Steve Smith. We love his next-level potential as a slot receiver.
Source: ABC News

Dec 12 - 9:46 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andre Williams - RB - Eagles

Boston College senior RB Andre Williams was named the Doak Walker Award winner for the top running back in college football.

Williams rushed for 2,119 yards and 17 touchdowns this season. That monster output earned him a ticket to Saturday's Heisman Trophy presentation in New York. Williams bested Pac 12 running backs Ka'Deem Carey (Arizona) and Bishop Sankey (Washington) for the award.
Source: ABC News

Dec 12 - 9:09 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jordan Lynch - QB - Huskies

ESPN's Mel Kiper envisions NIU senior QB Jordan Lynch as a fifth- to seventh-round pick in May.

"He could maybe be a starter down the road in the right situation, probably more of a backup type," Kiper said. It is interesting that Kiper believes Lynch has a future at quarterback, since many are expecting a possible position switch due to the senior lacking above average throwing ability.
Source: ESPN

Dec 12 - 3:26 P

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Cardinals

NFL.com's Charles Davis isn't sure if Louisville junior QB Teddy Bridgewater "is a top 10 guy."

Davis adds he likes Bridgewater a bunch and says he may get picked in the top 10. "I think sometimes we artificially boost these guys up because people are just terrified. What is the alternative?" Davis said during a Fox Sports podcast. The draft analyst did praise Bridgewater's physical and mental toughness.

Dec 12 - 3:07 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel is "the most creative quarterback playmaker" he has scouted in 10 years.

"You talk about instincts and playmaking ability -- I've never evaluated anybody at the quarterback position better in those factors," Jeremiah said while appearing on a Fox Sports podcast. The former NFL scout polled numerous evaluators that all said they would take Manziel in critical, single play situations among all draft-eligible quarterbacks.

Dec 12 - 2:10 PM

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worried about RB in this draft we got Lattimore and if he don't pan out we go Gurley in 15 for our own Beast mode.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worried about RB in this draft we got Lattimore and if he don't pan out we go Gurley in 15 for our own Beast mode.

I would probably still try to get Gurley even if Lattimore does pan out.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Silly question, is Dorial Green-Beckham even eligible for this draft?