• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I emailed Barrows to ask about it, just cause it's so baffling. He said Harbaugh and Morton are very close; Harbaugh actually moved in with Morton following his divorce from his first wife. Seems like a blind spot, one that is killing this team.

That's very interesting and explains why he still has a job with the 49ers. Blind spot is a good description too.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It could be very difficult to do and take multiple moves but then they should draft all the way up to two or so and secure Watkins (extremely unlikely) if they want a WR. I want ZERO part of Evans.

Either way, this team needed to start making some swing-for-the-fences moves to start the offseason and didn't so I'm putting all my hopes of it in the draft. Even then it won't be enough and I'm sure some people will read that and assume the wrong types of moves so maybe it'll take another post.

The swing-for-the-fence moves should've started taking place last year, many of which I have detailed numerous times in the past, but it doesn't seem to be a MAJOR part of Baalke and company's philosophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I want ZERO part of Evans.

Same here. He's one of my least-favourite 1st-round prospects. Don't want a big, slow, awkward-moving WR who was made to look great by a Heisman winner (Kelvin Benjamin, Mike Williams).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Look how close Allen Robinson is in terms of speed with the ball in his hands to 230-pound Wisconsin ILB Derek Landisch's speed. #30. Robinson is an ok prospect, but he has heavy feet.

And keep in mind Derek Landisch wasn't even invited to the NFL combine.

Also, look how much room he has on the DB who catches up to tackle him:

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. He's one of my least-favourite 1st-round prospects. Don't want a big, slow, awkward-moving WR who was made to look great by a Heisman winner (Kelvin Benjamin, Mike Williams).

Sickness, I don't get the comparison of Evans to Benjamin, with the exception of both playing with Heisman winners and that they're tall. Evans is faster, more athletic, and plays with a mean streak. You don't have to like Evans, totally your opinion, but I think its erroneous to compare them. Evans is a far better pro prospect.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be very difficult to do and take multiple moves but then they should draft all the way up to two or so and secure Watkins (extremely unlikely) if they want a WR. I want ZERO part of Evans.

Either way, this team needed to start making some swing-for-the-fences moves to start the offseason and didn't so I'm putting all my hopes of it in the draft. Even then it won't be enough and I'm sure some people will read that and assume the wrong types of moves so maybe it'll take another post.

The swing-for-the-fence moves should've started taking place last year, many of which I have detailed numerous times in the past, but it doesn't seem to be a MAJOR part of Baalke and company's philosophy.

Pozz, what is it about Evans you don't like?

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans makes sense as far as the 49ers liking him, but I agree that I'm not sold on him.

I don't really see the 49ers trading up for a WR in the 1st round. If there is a trade up, it will be for a CB. That is a much bigger need at this point and there are plenty of WR's to be had in the 2nd round. I could see a trade up in the 2nd round for Matthews, Moncrief, Adams, or Bryant though.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans makes sense as far as the 49ers liking him, but I agree that I'm not sold on him.

I don't really see the 49ers trading up for a WR in the 1st round. If there is a trade up, it will be for a CB. That is a much bigger need at this point and there are plenty of WR's to be had in the 2nd round. I could see a trade up in the 2nd round for Matthews, Moncrief, Adams, or Bryant though.

I agree.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I tend to agree, except...Baalke has done a much better job of finding CB talent than he has of finding WR talent. He may feel good about getting a CB in the second or third round who can come in and contribute right away.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quality corners prospects have good distribution all thru rd4 on most mocks. Walters mock has us taking McGill at #61 and Desir at #94...kooks like at least 6 are available at #56 or later.:suds:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quality corners prospects have good distribution all thru rd4 on most mocks. Walters mock has us taking McGill at #61 and Desir at #94...kooks like at least 6 are available at #56 or later.:suds:

Desir has some ball skills.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1) Chicago Bears: #51 Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida #56 2) San Francisco 49ers: Keith McGill, CB, Utah 3)#73 Buffalo Bills: Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson 4)#80 New York Jets: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida 5) #89 Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S, Florida State 6) #90 Indianapolis Colts: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska 7) #94 San Francisco 49ers: Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood 8) #101 Houston Texans: Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State 9) #106 Cleveland Browns: E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri 10) #118 Pittsburgh Steelers: Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida 11) #125 San Diego Chargers: Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon 12) #132 Seattle Seahawks: Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice 13) #133 Detroit Lions: Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona 14) #134 Baltimore Ravens: Victor Hampton, CB, South Carolina #15) #137 New York Jets: Dontae Johnson, S, N.C. State with 9 more thru rd5. Soo the point isn't that we should draft at these spots but rather that we have lots of choices for quality thru at least rd4 and they do fall at least to our pick at #56. In fact after the run in the 1st rd. on CB before we pick if we stay at #30 means we will more than likely have a very good chance of landing multiple CB picks later on in rd2-4 so we can be patient if one doesn't fall to us at #30.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree, except...Baalke has done a much better job of finding CB talent than he has of finding WR talent. He may feel good about getting a CB in the second or third round who can come in and contribute right away.

Good point and CB is fairly deep in this draft too. Breeland, Aikins, Gaines, Desir, Roberson, and Colvin are all guys that intrigue me in the 2nd-4th round. Joyner intrigues me too as a nickel/ slot cover guy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

seems like this is more true for WR, than CB?

anyway, just want the best talent we can draft in rounds 1 and 2, not as worried about which position comes first. as it turns out, there is good depth and both spots will be drafted.

if we just went with need, clearly CB is more so over WR. so all things 'being equal' at 30th, I'd go CB.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think you still go with BPA shaded to need. Agreed , we have the most need at CB, but if the draft goes the way of many of the mocks we see, we will be drafting the 5 or 6th ranked CB right where the 2nd tier in the CB starts to slide a bit. ie no top tier guy..compromising size (Verrett, Joyner) . Hopefully Roby or Dennard slides or we move up to ~23-29 to grab one of the elite CBs if they fall. If we draft the 5-6th best CB , we might as well wait to trade up in the 2nd to grab the "best" of the rest CB and use the #30 for more of an elite prospect at WR or DE which I think most mocks now show might just happen. WR actually starts to thin out around #56...CBs goes on to the 4th rd. The run on WR likely happens in the 2nd round again. IN any case, I'm for holding still at #30 or moving up modestly not giving away assets. Heck I would look hard at moving back to the early 2nd if enough assets were given to us. Then use the extra assets to get extremely aggressive and combine those assets to move our #56 and z#61 back up to the 35-50 zone to pick up better talent in the early 2nd. All hypothetical but might just yield us a windfall. We have more needs than people think.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

That was a really good thorough breakdown. I wish they had done one for Jeremy Gallon because I think he plays just like Julian Eledman.

But I don't get why Brandin Cooks is in his first tier for WRs when he doesn't know where he'll play and thinks you'll have to tailor a system around him to be successful. IMO that's not a first tier WR. He also goes into how that lowers his draft stock, but I guess it doesn't apply to Cooks.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
There's a lot of talk of trading up to draft Mike Evans, and I hope it's all unfounded. I don't see any advantage Mike Evans has over a guy like Martavious Bryant, who can possibly be had in the 3rd round. Even a guy like Brandon Coleman would be comparable.

There is no other Brandin Cooks in the 2nd round. There is no other Sammy Watkins or Odell Beckham. I don't like trading up for a guy when a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round probably has just as good of a chance of succeeding.