• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Started to post this on that general board thread, but figured it would become a shit show. I was looking at Schneider's draft history and realized that he has a pretty mediocre (at best) track record in terms of offense. Wilson worked out great, but other than that the only guys he has hit on are Okung, Tate, and Willson. Okung probably hasn't lived up to his draft spot yet given the injury history. Tate has been a solid pick, but certainly not spectacular. Willson has some promise to at least be a good value pick, but that's still somewhat unclear.

Now, granted he's made 24 defensive picks (5 last year) and only 14 offensive picks (also 5 last year), but that's a clear area where he's been shaky. It's also very interesting how heavily they went defense for several years. Between 2010 and 2012, they took 19 defensive players and only 9 offensive players. Helps explain why the D is so strong. Without Lynch and Wilson, that offense would probably be a disaster.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is Jeff Janis the poor man's Donte Moncrief or is Moncrief the poor man's Janis?

Both near identical matches when it comes to size and speed. After watching a little of Janis on YouTube I feel like they have the same ball skills which is nothing special. Moncrief looks faster when watching (does have him by .02 in the 40, but Janis has him by .03 in the 10). I think they're similar enough where they're interchangeable. As long as certain players aren't on the board wouldn't mind taking a look into a project in the 3rd.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pitt Football:

Pitt QB Tom Savage has declined an invitation to attend the #NFLDraft in New York. He is one of the draft's fastest rising prospects.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dummy.. There goes his 2nd round selection.

His second round selection went with his 4.6 plus combine. I'd still take him though in the 4th or 5th if Breeland isn't around.

Last edited by a moderator:

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2014 NFL Draft I love this type of draft gossip: Georgia Southern halfback Jerick McKinnon, is going to come off the board much sooner than people think because he's a strong and explosive runner and former quarterback that really helped his stock at the combine by running a 4.41 forty-time, to go along with an incredible 1.46 ten-yard split time. McKinnon also did 32 reps on the bench, had a 40.5" vertical jump and a 11-0 broad jump. Don't be surprised when McKinnon's name is called earlier than some of the more publicized names in the draft.

Pittsburgh quarterback Tom Savage is another prospect that is going to surprise people at how high he gets drafted. I'm not talking first round, but he will come off the board much higher than what most of the so-called draft experts think. Savage is a bit over-aged at 24 years old, but his size, footwork, arm strength, setup and release, remind some people in the league of a young Ben Roethlisberger, with the tools to work with and mold.

Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans has a chance to come off the board before Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins. Evans is just 20 years old, and has a rare combination of size 6-4.6, 231, to go along with long arms - 35 1/8, and the ability to jump, since he had a 37" vertical at the combine. His forty-time of 4.53 ,is just one-tenth of a second slower than Watkins, despite carrying 20 more pounds on his frame. With Evans combination of rare size, long arms, and jumping ability, he's going to be a mismatch for nearly every cornerback in the league, since he's much taller than them, and thus be open, even if he's covered.

In my latest mock draft update on Friday, I penciled in Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr to the Cleveland Browns, just one week after I wrote about the Browns interest in Central Florida Quarterback Blake Bortles. I was informed that Carr wowed the Browns brass at his pro day workout, and face to face meeting that afternoon, and has reportedly climbed to the top of the Browns board at the quarterback position.

The Tampa Bay Bucs pick at No. 7 is an interesting pick, because the general consensus is the team will fill their need at the wide receiver position with the selection of Mike Evans, who I've had mocked to the Bucs in my first two attempts. However, this week (before the Mike Williams trade), I was told by a reliable source that the Bucs have their eye on Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald, who head coach Lovie Smith wants as his three-technique for his Tampa-2 scheme. It was also mentioned to me that the Bucs are considering plucking one of the quarterbacks available off the board, with an early pick, possibly at pick No. 7. Now this was all before the Mike Williams trade, so I'm still leaning toward Evans with their pick, but keep in mind that this draft is very deep at the receiver position.

Last but not least, I found out this week that the Dallas Cowboys could pull another surprise in the first round of the draft, by reaching for a player like they did in last years draft, with the selection of center Travis Frederick. Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones is said to covet Ohio State OLB Ryan Shazier, and could pull the trigger on him with their pick at No.16, if Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald is already off the board. Shazier is a nice player, and he ran a fast forty-time at the combine, but valuing him as the sixteenth best player in a very deep draft, sounds like another reach to me. -Al Fronczak
Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard's stock has taken a hit recently due to the fact that Dennard's positional workout at the combine revealed that he has stiff hips. Dennard has also had double hernia surgery. Same was said of Gilbert also.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
With the NFL draft a couple of weeks away & the order becoming a little clearer, here's my current list of favourites & not-so-favourites based on where most people have them going right now:

Favourites

Louis Nix. If he's there at 30 the Niners HAVE to take the guy. He's as safe a pick as it gets. He's double-teamed almost every play & still dominates. Passing on him would be insane.
Bradley Roby. Best CB in the draft (don't bother replying I am 1Z; you'd just be repeating yourself). In fact, I'd be happy with a trade up for Roby or Nix. One of these guys needs to be a 49er IMO. Both would be a draft-day dream like last year.
Moncrief & Jordan Matthews
Dri Archer
Marcus Martin
Brandon Thomas
Stephon Tuitt
Antonio Richardson
Jackson Jeffcoat
Marcus Roberson
(looks like a 4th rounder now)
Jaylen Watkins

Not-so-favourites

Khalil Mack
Darqueze Dennard
Kelvin Benjamin
(Dennard or Benjamin will more than likely be my 2014 bust pick)
Timmy Jernigan (I think he's been overrated all year)
Dion Bailey
Deone Buchannon

Last edited by a moderator:

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the NFL draft a couple of weeks away & the order becoming a little clearer, here's my current list of favourites & not-so-favourites based on where most people have them going right now:

Favourites

Louis Nix. If he's there at 30 the Niners HAVE to take the guy. He's as safe a pick as it gets. He's double-teamed almost every play & still dominates. Passing on him would be insane.
Bradley Roby. Best CB in the draft (don't bother replying I am 1Z; you'd just be repeating yourself). In fact, I'd be happy with a trade up for Roby or Nix. One of these guys needs to be a 49er IMO. Both would be a draft-day dream like last year.
Moncrief & Jordan Matthews
Dri Archer
Marcus Martin
Brandon Thomas
Stephon Tuitt
Antonio Richardson
Jackson Jeffcoat
Marcus Roberson
(looks like a 4th rounder now)
Jaylen Watkins

Not-so-favourites

Khalil Mack
Darqueze Dennard
Kelvin Benjamin
(Dennard or Benjamin will more than likely be my 2014 bust pick)
Timmy Jernigan (I think he's been overrated all year)
Dion Bailey
Deone Buchannon

Alot of people may think I am crazy but I like Nix that much as well. However, If you said we could have any player other than Sammy Watkins, I would choose Anthony Barr. That kid is a beast. Solid hitter and hes smart too. I would take him over Clowney even. I am sure others would disagree, but I feel like this kid would be an amazing LB to pair with Bowman/Willis/Brooks/ and Inmate-Smith,Aldon. I think we have more pressing needs than OLB especially with Lemonier, but I like this kid that much.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alot of people may think I am crazy but I like Nix that much as well. However, If you said we could have any player other than Sammy Watkins, I would choose Anthony Barr. That kid is a beast. Solid hitter and hes smart too. I would take him over Clowney even. I am sure others would disagree, but I feel like this kid would be an amazing LB to pair with Bowman/Willis/Brooks/ and Inmate-Smith,Aldon. I think we have more pressing needs than OLB especially with Lemonier, but I like this kid that much.

you're crazy!

:-)

JPurthe1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with Sickness on these 6 picks, I love tuitt, OLB and Batiste. I did not care for the WRs.