• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of talk of trading up to draft Mike Evans, and I hope it's all unfounded. I don't see any advantage Mike Evans has over a guy like Martavious Bryant, who can possibly be had in the 3rd round. Even a guy like Brandon Coleman would be comparable.

There is no other Brandin Cooks in the 2nd round. There is no other Sammy Watkins or Odell Beckham. I don't like trading up for a guy when a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round probably has just as good of a chance of succeeding.

We agree! Imagine that!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Since WRs can be made to look good by a good QB (which is why I probably won't pick Kelvin Benjamin), I think I've decided on Darqueze Dennard as my 2014 bust pick.

Short arms don't help when you're bad at open-field tackles (neither does lack of agility). I never see him cover anybody worth mentioning, and he still has to hold 'em every other play to be in the vicinity of the WR when the ball gets there. I might even dislike him more than I disliked DJ Hayden last year. I heard a ton of hype on this guy all season, but I never saw him back any of it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Since WRs can be made to look good by a good QB (which is why I probably won't pick Kelvin Benjamin), I think I've decided on Darqueze Dennard as my 2014 bust pick.

Short arms don't help when you're bad at open-field tackles (neither does lack of agility). I never see him cover anybody worth mentioning, and he still has to hold 'em every other play to be in the vicinity of the WR when the ball gets there. I might even dislike him more than I disliked DJ Hayden last year. I heard a ton of hype on this guy all season, but I never saw him back any of it up.

Those pesky short arms and the last 10 feet as the ball drops. It's not like the former perpetuates the latter either. Dennard just has bad ball skills and adding to that has short arms; which doesn't help. The guy's coverage is elite, but I remember this was Jalil Brown's problem too. Coverage was as good as can be up until the arrival of the ball.

I'm actually beginning to like Desir and definitely Fuller more than Dennard. I'm back to my position at the start of the college offseason that this draft lacks CB depth. Purifoy could be a steal though if his drug habit had any correlation with his terrible combine, he's definitely a player that I would want to bring in for a private workout.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ok draft junkies, the draft is a little under 2 weeks away. What player do you think is going to take a nose dive on draft day? It seems to happen every year.

I've been calling Timmy Jernigan overrated all season, but there isn't exactly consensus about where he'll go. If people were talking about him as a top-15 pick, I'd say Timmy. But only some are.

I'm gonna say Marqise Lee. I like him a lot could possibly slip all the way to the 40's or even 50's.

Who you got? Johnny Autograph? Anthony Barr?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I still love the Dominique Easley, but I've come to accept that he's probably best suited to play in a 4-3 defense like the Bears or Buccs. He could play the 5, but I think that wouldn't be the best fit for him.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of talk of trading up to draft Mike Evans, and I hope it's all unfounded. I don't see any advantage Mike Evans has over a guy like Martavious Bryant, who can possibly be had in the 3rd round. Even a guy like Brandon Coleman would be comparable.

There is no other Brandin Cooks in the 2nd round. There is no other Sammy Watkins or Odell Beckham. I don't like trading up for a guy when a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round probably has just as good of a chance of succeeding.

Brandon Coleman is only like Evans in terms of height. He cant catch for shit. Bad comparison.

Martavious Bryant is a good WR. I like him as a number 2 WR all day long.

Jordan Matthews is also a good WR and i would compare him very well with Bryant. Both good number 2 WRs. The thing I have with these 2 is they remind me so much of JJ Stokes. A good number 2, but not a number 1.

Mike Evans is a #1 game changing receiver who can beat any type of coverage. People compare him to Vincent Jackson and I can see it a little bit. But who he reminds me the most of is a WR version of Antonio Gates. Or if you want a WR a combo Boldin Fitzgerald. He has the ability to position his body to box out defenders and high point the ball. Then snatch it as if a snake going after a rat. it is hard to teach that snatching ability. Most receivers wait for the ball to get to them instead of going after it. Last year with all the scrambling and just throw them up passes by Manziel to Evans only one was picked and the throw was extremely poor. But even then Evans almost made a play on a ball he had no right getting close to. Mike Evans made Manziel, not the other way around.

Mike Evans is a true #1 WR that teams will have to game plan around. He is going to be so good that Crabtree re-signing would not be an issue as he would no longer be needed.

Now, I personally like WRs taller than 6'3" who are strong, fastish (4.45-4.6), and can catch the ball with the hands in traffic. Some might like faster/quicker receivers who are shorter as they seem more dynamic and make some great plays. Like Victor Cruz, Mike Wallace, Tavon Austin, ect.. who can take a short pass and make a TD or go deep for a TD. The problem I have with those type of players is they usually are not durable, it takes a lot of scheming to get them the ball, and there are too many ints trying to force them the ball if the DB has them covered.

In this draft I would like to see 2 WRs taken. Evans, Matthews, Latimer, Bryant, and Moncrief are my favorites in order. They all can go deep, go over the middle, and take it to the house on any play. But Evans is a franchise top 5 WR in the NFL player while the others are more complimentary receivers. And Mike Evans is only 20 years old. He will only get better when compared to the others.

Now saying all that. There are so many good players that there are so few I would not want to draft. If they ended up with Lee, Watkins, Cooks, or Beckham or even skipped a WR in the first round and got Fuller, Dennard, Verret, Roby, or Gilbert I would still be happy with the pick, just not as happy.

I just for sure want to stay away from Benjamin, Coleman, Robinson, Adams, Herron and Ellington in the first 3 rounds and Coleman for the whole draft. He is a complete and under waste at WR. Not worth a 7th. All he has is being tall.

For CBs I would stay away from McGill, Breeland, Purifoy, Hampton and Davis. But there are so many more I like who I believe will be strong starters from rounds 2-4. Gaines, Gaines, Joyner, Watkins, Desir (or despair as I think of him as he will bring despair to QBs), and Roberson will all be good starters.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still love the Dominique Easley, but I've come to accept that he's probably best suited to play in a 4-3 defense like the Bears or Buccs. He could play the 5, but I think that wouldn't be the best fit for him.

I think of him as a replacement for McDonald. He has the size to be a good 3-4 DE in the 9ers system.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dream WR setup in 2 years time would be

Evans and Matthews on the edges and Patton in the slot.

The slants and the slugos and the deep passes. It would be just like having Rice and Taylor again.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandon Coleman is only like Evans in terms of height. He cant catch for shit. Bad comparison.

Martavious Bryant is a good WR. I like him as a number 2 WR all day long.

Jordan Matthews is also a good WR and i would compare him very well with Bryant. Both good number 2 WRs. The thing I have with these 2 is they remind me so much of JJ Stokes. A good number 2, but not a number 1.

Mike Evans is a #1 game changing receiver who can beat any type of coverage. People compare him to Vincent Jackson and I can see it a little bit. But who he reminds me the most of is a WR version of Antonio Gates. Or if you want a WR a combo Boldin Fitzgerald. He has the ability to position his body to box out defenders and high point the ball. Then snatch it as if a snake going after a rat. it is hard to teach that snatching ability. Most receivers wait for the ball to get to them instead of going after it. Last year with all the scrambling and just throw them up passes by Manziel to Evans only one was picked and the throw was extremely poor. But even then Evans almost made a play on a ball he had no right getting close to. Mike Evans made Manziel, not the other way around.

Mike Evans is a true #1 WR that teams will have to game plan around. He is going to be so good that Crabtree re-signing would not be an issue as he would no longer be needed.

Now, I personally like WRs taller than 6'3" who are strong, fastish (4.45-4.6), and can catch the ball with the hands in traffic. Some might like faster/quicker receivers who are shorter as they seem more dynamic and make some great plays. Like Victor Cruz, Mike Wallace, Tavon Austin, ect.. who can take a short pass and make a TD or go deep for a TD. The problem I have with those type of players is they usually are not durable, it takes a lot of scheming to get them the ball, and there are too many ints trying to force them the ball if the DB has them covered.

In this draft I would like to see 2 WRs taken. Evans, Matthews, Latimer, Bryant, and Moncrief are my favorites in order. They all can go deep, go over the middle, and take it to the house on any play. But Evans is a franchise top 5 WR in the NFL player while the others are more complimentary receivers. And Mike Evans is only 20 years old. He will only get better when compared to the others.

Now saying all that. There are so many good players that there are so few I would not want to draft. If they ended up with Lee, Watkins, Cooks, or Beckham or even skipped a WR in the first round and got Fuller, Dennard, Verret, Roby, or Gilbert I would still be happy with the pick, just not as happy.

I just for sure want to stay away from Benjamin, Coleman, Robinson, Adams, Herron and Ellington in the first 3 rounds and Coleman for the whole draft. He is a complete and under waste at WR. Not worth a 7th. All he has is being tall.

For CBs I would stay away from McGill, Breeland, Purifoy, Hampton and Davis. But there are so many more I like who I believe will be strong starters from rounds 2-4. Gaines, Gaines, Joyner, Watkins, Desir (or despair as I think of him as he will bring despair to QBs), and Roberson will all be good starters.

I just don't get how someone can think that just because a player is similar in size and athleticism equates to being comparable in skill.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2014 NFL Mock Draft Update: Shuffling in the Top 10 - NFL Mocks - 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Fantasy Football, NFL News, and NFL Mock Draft Databases

5. San Francisco 49ers (f/OAK): Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

**BLOCKBUSTER TRADE**

The Niners deal this year’s first, second, and third as well as a 2015 first and maybe some throw in picks to the Raiders for the rights to add the big playmaker out of Texas A&M.

don't mind a trade up to the teens but not top 10, so definitely don't agree with this trade.

the only way we make this kind of deal (trading away our 2015 1st too) is for a franchise QB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't get how someone can think that just because a player is similar in size and athleticism equates to being comparable in skill.

after watching the Greg Cosell videos, can't forget his main point............can a WR win the 'one on one battles'? going by his reviews, some can't and some are questionable.

he pointed out Jordan Mathews (?) ran a lot of screens, IF so, you have to wonder?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
after watching the Greg Cosell videos, can't forget his main point............can a WR win the 'one on one battles'? going by his reviews, some can't and some are questionable.

he pointed out Jordan Mathews (?) ran a lot of screens, IF so, you have to wonder?

Jordan Matthews can win one on ones. He just seems to have a knack for catching the ball with a corner draped all over him. IMO if you're going to draft Matthews in the 1st round, you better have a QB that has no qualms about throwing into coverage. I think it's his comfort zone.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jordan Matthews can win one on ones. He just seems to have a knack for catching the ball with a corner draped all over him. IMO if you're going to draft Matthews in the 1st round, you better have a QB that has no qualms about throwing into coverage. I think it's his comfort zone.

I think Matthews is more likely to go in the second, but Kap has the requisite QB trait - for better or worse....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True.

Sammy Watkins ran a ton of screens too though.

Cosell said Watkins is the complete package and is far and way the best WR. so he saw a lot more stuff on film besides screens.

for Mathews, it FELT like he had to point out the high number of screens. why would you even mention that if there was enough of other things on film? why didn't he mention it for ANY of the other WR's?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Cosell said Watkins is the complete package and is far and way the best WR. so he saw a lot more stuff on film besides screens.

for Mathews, it FELT like he had to point out the high number of screens. why would you even mention that if there was enough of other things on film? why didn't he mention it for ANY of the other WR's?

Watkins is being overrated by the media. Not saying he isn't a great prospect, but he's commonly being called the best WR since AJ Green in 2011, but I think Justin Hunter was a better prospect. And so is Brandin Cooks. And Michael Floyd is probably better than any of them.

In fact, Jordan Matthews is probably a better fit for the Niners' offense considering how well he can catch the ball in coverage (Kaepernick) and how well he blocks.