• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
For some stupid, stupid, stupid reason Louis Nix III is dropping on a lot of draft boards. Just like Vince Wilfork in 2004, a lot of GMs are going to regret not drafting him if this drop is true on draft day.

...by the way, for another Vince Wilfork comparision:

Vince_Wilfork_and_Nix.jpg

Anyway, I kind of ignored Irish Chocolate all offseason because I assumed he'd be a top-20 pick. But if for some really stupid reason he's around at 30, I would be extatic if the Niners drafted him. I don't care how the NT has been used in the Niners' offense; he can play end on 1st down & move inside & come off the field on 3rd (kind of like Baltimore uses Ngata). Look how big a pain in the ass Red Bryant was on 1st down for Seattle. And he was playing DE in a 4-3!

I love Dorsey, but he's in a contract year; he might not be back. And NTs like Nix simply aren't available at the end of the 1st very often. And behind him there's next to nothing. The guy gets double-teamed like every play. If the yet another great Notre Dame DT is on the board when the Niners are on the clock, they need to repeat history (Bryant Young). He'll be eating up blockers for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Help me out with Martavis Bryant. Why do I have a really bad feeling about the guy?

I've seen him interviewed, and the way he comes off reminds me of Dez Bryant attitude-wise (no relation). This is not a good thing. Martavis isn't nearly as tough as Dez...

He's the #2 WR in a prolific offense behind Sammy Watkins, and his QB has a great O-line to give him lots of time to throw. Is this why I have a bad feeling about the guy?

Athletically, he reminds me of Justin Hunter. I liked Hunter a lot. So why don't I like Martavis Bryant? As far as I know, he's never been in trouble. But he just comes off like he's the most important thing on planet earth.

The only time I can ever remember saying this about players was when I said I had a bad feeling about Sergio Kindle & Justin Blackmon. Something just seemed off about those guys mentally (I think it was probably drugs). Bryant doesn't strike me as a guy who's fried his brain like the other 2 did, but something still makes me extremely wary.

Am I on to something, or am I worried for nothing?

Maybe it's the orange unis?

Martavis Bryant poor man's Justin Hunter

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Maybe it's the orange unis?

Martavis Bryant poor man's Justin Hunter

Wow. I seriously didn't even read you comparing Bryant to Justin Hunter. We agreed on a WR comparison. This feels weird.

If anyone else listens to this guy speak, tell me whether I'm crazy or not. He just sounds like he's up to no good for some reason. Maybe I'm imagining things.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Since it's official the Niners have a 3rd-round comp' pick, here's a list of candidates for whom I'm realistically hoping:

Marcus Martin
Dri Archer
Brandon Thomas (probably gone)
Dominique Easley
Stanley Jean-Baptiste
Cyrus Kouandjio (injury)
Tiny Richardson (injury)
Travis Samsonite (probably gone)
Jaylen Watkins
E.J. or Phillip Gaines
Terrence Brooks (probably gone)
Kareem Martin (extremely likely he's gone)
Austin Seferian-Jenkins (who knows?)
Marcus Roberson
Jackson Jeffcoat (more of a 4-3 guy, but the pick can't be traded)
Davante Adams
Bruce Ellington
Anthony Johnson

It's gotta be someone on this list!

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow. I seriously didn't even read you comparing Bryant to Justin Hunter. We agreed on a WR comparison. This feels weird.

If anyone else listens to this guy speak, tell me whether I'm crazy or not. He just sounds like he's up to no good for some reason. Maybe I'm imagining things.

I disagree that you agree. If you believe he's Justin Hunter, he'd be higher on your board. You don't even have him as a 3rd rounder, yet I knew you would have Bruce Ellington. Not only is Ellington small but he catches everything with his body, he's nothing but a POSSIBLE kick return man.

I watched a couple of Martavis Bryant interviews and he sounds blissfully ignorant, but that's okay because you don't want WRs thinking too much.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benjamin isn't athletic at all, he's just a big target and should be seen as a TE.

P. Rich's is a problem. The Colorado offense has 10 bad news bears players on offense that no competent team should pay attention to, then there's Paul Richardson. It just surprises me how open he gets despite the defense having to know he's the only threat on the team.

And yes in this draft Cooks is a 3rd rounder for our offense. He doesn't suit the 49ers well, but he's athletic and productive.

He's not the most athletic, but he still has room to grow into his frame. He does need to improve on his vertical. I think that's something he will get better at in time. I just meant to say that he has a high ceiling. Whether or not he grows into it is up to him. He's not one of my top 5 WR's in this draft, but when comparing upside to Cooks I think he has a better chance. That's all I was trying to say.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I disagree that you agree. If you believe he's Justin Hunter, he'd be higher on your board. You don't even have him as a 3rd rounder, yet I knew you would have Bruce Ellington. Not only is Ellington small but he catches everything with his body, he's nothing but a POSSIBLE kick return man.

I watched a couple of Martavis Bryant interviews and he sounds blissfully ignorant, but that's okay because you don't want WRs thinking too much.

I don't think Bryant is anywhere hear Hunter in terms of his level of play, but his style of play is similar. And I think they have similar ceilings (Hunter has a higher floor and a higher ceiling IMO).

Blissfully ignorant huh? I think it's more like he has an insatiable desire to get high, cause trouble and get arrested for something. And I'm basing this on absolutely nothing but a gut feeling I have about him, so take it for what it's worth.

And I'm not exactly driving the Bruce Ellington bandwagon. I threw like 20 names out there. It's just a matter of not being able to trade the compensatory pick.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I remember arguing with someone against Brandon Coleman being an elite WR prospect last offseason, but his stock has fallen so far that I actually think he's underrated at this point.

I don't see why anyone would want to draft Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin in the first round when they get the same receiver in the 4th or 5th round in Coleman.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember arguing with someone against Brandon Coleman being an elite WR prospect last offseason, but his stock has fallen so far that I actually think he's underrated at this point.

I don't see why anyone would want to draft Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin in the first round when they get the same receiver in the 4th or 5th round in Coleman.

Well we definitely agree on Coleman. He's probably my favorite mid round prospect (along with EJ and Philip Gaines). This draft class for Wide Receivers has really hurt his stock. This is one of the main reasons I want us to go with Verrett or Fuller in the first round. We can find great value at WR in the later rounds .

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because Evans can catch with his hands not his body. Benjamin and Coleman are both body catchers who will drop a lot of easy balls and by being body catchers even though they are tall they don't utilize their length well.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think Bryant is anywhere hear Hunter in terms of his level of play, but his style of play is similar. And I think they have similar ceilings (Hunter has a higher floor and a higher ceiling IMO).

Blissfully ignorant huh? I think it's more like he has an insatiable desire to get high, cause trouble and get arrested for something. And I'm basing this on absolutely nothing but a gut feeling I have about him, so take it for what it's worth.

And I'm not exactly driving the Bruce Ellington bandwagon. I threw like 20 names out there. It's just a matter of not being able to trade the compensatory pick.

In a deep WR draft why Ellington in the 3rd? Be honest

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
In a deep WR draft why Ellington in the 3rd? Be honest

'Cause most of the other WRs I like better will probably be gone by then. He's a decent prospect. Pick 100 is probably around where he'll end up going. Seems like a reasonable enough name to throw out there with the other 19 names I mentioned.

And why wouldn't I be honest? Do I usually lie about what prospects I like?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Cause most of the other WRs I like better will probably be gone by then. He's a decent prospect. Pick 100 is probably around where he'll end up going. Seems like a reasonable enough name to throw out there with the other 19 names I mentioned.

And why wouldn't I be honest? Do I usually lie about what prospects I like?

I think 1z was using "be honest" in the same way that when you are with your boys and a fat chick that you know walks by and smiles at you and your boy says "be honest you hit that didn't you?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think 1z was using "be honest" in the same way that when you are with your boys and a fat chick that you know walks by and smiles at you and your boy says "be honest you hit that didn't you?

:laugh3:Your assumptions are accurate. I was referring to that unofficial 4.31 girl!

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFP Mock Draft 2.0 | National Football Post

30 – San Francisco 49ers – Bradley Roby – CB – Ohio State – I thought about wide receiver at this spot, but good corners are hard to find and they cost a fortune in free agency. It’s better business to develop your own.

I'm good with this. It would come down to Roby, Verrett, or WR Matthews here and if the 49ers like Roby the most out of those three-then cool.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFP Mock Draft 2.0 | National Football Post

30 – San Francisco 49ers – Bradley Roby – CB – Ohio State – I thought about wide receiver at this spot, but good corners are hard to find and they cost a fortune in free agency. It’s better business to develop your own.
I'm good with this. It would come down to Roby, Verrett, or WR Matthews here and if the 49ers like Roby the most out of those three-then cool.

makes sense to me.

based on what I've read to date, Verrett is good too despite his height.