• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we got Cooks at 30 then id be very happy

I don't understand why everyone on here seems infatuated with Cooks. Sure, he's a good player and he would make a solid slot receiver, but there are so many WR's in this draft class who can be #1 or #2 guys who could help us out more. Boldin and Patton are capable of playing in this slot and we can still draft a guy later in the draft if we really felt it was necessary to fill that roll. We really need the help at CB and there should be plenty of options there. Same with the DL. Verrett and Fuller are much better choices that are still available in this mock draft.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't understand why everyone on here seems infatuated with Cooks. Sure, he's a good player and he would make a solid slot receiver, but there are so many WR's in this draft class who can be #1 or #2 guys who could help us out more. Boldin and Patton are capable of playing in this slot and we can still draft a guy later in the draft if we really felt it was necessary to fill that roll. We really need the help at CB and there should be plenty of options there. Same with the DL. Verrett and Fuller are much better choices that are still available in this mock draft.

As mentioned earlier, my leanings are to go CB in the first round and WR in the second if we can swing that. But I don't get why so many people have Cooks pigeonholed as a slot receiver. He did most of his damage in college out wide.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And as far as why people like Cooks, one word: speed. His 40 and shuttles were elite, and his three-cone was also very good. We desperately need big-play ability, and he brings that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Since Baalke is clearly not in win-at-all-costs mode right now, I'm now more in favour of a draft that has long-term success in mind. Get the guys with higher potential because this year may be a lost cause.

More trading down.

Less Jason Verrett, more Bradley Roby.

Less EJ Gaines, more Phillip Gaines.

Less Jordan Matthews, more Donte Moncrief.

Less Dominique Easley, more Kareem Martin.

Maybe take a flyer on Cyrus Kouandjio or Antonio Richardson (both took major hits to their stocks w/ injuries at the combine).

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned earlier, my leanings are to go CB in the first round and WR in the second if we can swing that. But I don't get why so many people have Cooks pigeonholed as a slot receiver. He did most of his damage in college out wide.

I have my doubts about his ability to consistently play as an X or Z WR in the NFL. He's Steve Smith or Darren Sproles at best. That's his ceiling if he becomes everything most people think he will be. While that might seem very appealing to a lot of people on here, I think there is more potential than that in this draft. Matthews, Moncrief, Allen Robinson, Richardson, and Benjamin all have higher ceilings IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have my doubts about his ability to consistently play as an X or Z WR in the NFL. He's Steve Smith or Darren Sproles at best. That's his ceiling if he becomes everything most people think he will be. While that might seem very appealing to a lot of people on here, I think there is more potential than that in this draft. Matthews, Moncrief, Allen Robinson, Richardson, and Benjamin all have higher ceilings IMO.

Steve Smith ceiling? Ok. That's a damn high ceiling. Steve Smith was arguably the best WR in the NFL at one point. Sproles? :confused2: Sproles is a running back. Not sure how you can compare Sproles & Cooks.

Have to completely disagree with saying Benjamin & Robinson have higher ceilings. Benjamin = JJ Stokes, and Robinson is Jerry Porter at best.

And 6'0, 175 pound Paul Richardson has a higher ceiling than Brandin Cooks??? You lost me on that one.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Check out this bomb Cooks got by torching Keith McGill. Cooks even had to slow down a bit to catch the ball:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Check out this bomb Cooks got by torching Keith McGill. Cooks even had to slow down a bit to catch the ball:

That looks like a route he'll definitely run in the NFL. The safety help was superb as well.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The 49ers likely use 3 or more WR sets the least in the league. We already have slot receivers as you said in Boldin and Patton for at least the next two years. If I'm Baalke, I'm looking to draft Crabtree's replacement. Robinson would be my 1st choice (minus Evans and Watkins), but if he's not there, I'd go with Martavis Bryant, who is a likely 2nd-3rd rounder. Our 1st round pick needs to be spend on the secondary IMO. Bryant brings size and low 4.4 speed also is an immediate RZ target.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Smith ceiling? Ok. That's a damn high ceiling. Steve Smith was arguably the best WR in the NFL at one point. Sproles? :confused2: Sproles is a running back. Not sure how you can compare Sproles & Cooks.

Have to completely disagree with saying Benjamin & Robinson have higher ceilings. Benjamin = JJ Stokes, and Robinson is Jerry Porter at best.

And 6'0, 175 pound Paul Richardson has a higher ceiling than Brandin Cooks??? You lost me on that one.

Cooks can be used in multiple roles like Brandon Cooks. That's the only reason I was comparing him to Sproles. The Steve Smith comparison was to give Cook's ceiling. He will probably never come close to Steve Smith. Steve Smith maximized the best what he could give to his team based on his size and skill set. A guy like Benjamin has the size and athletic ability to become more than Cooks can ever become. I'm a huge Richardson fan and he can get separation in different ways than Cooks.

This isn't to say that I don't like Cooks. I think he's more of a late 2nd/3rd round pick. That's where I could see us finding the value in him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cooks can be used in multiple roles like Brandon Cooks. That's the only reason I was comparing him to Sproles. The Steve Smith comparison was to give Cook's ceiling. He will probably never come close to Steve Smith. Steve Smith maximized the best what he could give to his team based on his size and skill set. A guy like Benjamin has the size and athletic ability to become more than Cooks can ever become. I'm a huge Richardson fan and he can get separation in different ways than Cooks.

This isn't to say that I don't like Cooks. I think he's more of a late 2nd/3rd round pick. That's where I could see us finding the value in him.

There's no disputing the size, but Benjamin isn't very athletic. His 40 was slow, his vertical was below average, and his short shuttle and three-cone were among the worst at the combine. He may have to basically play TE in the NFL. I see Marques Colston as his ceiling, and that may be quite generous. Colston's combine workout was markedly better. I see shades of Mike Williams when I look at the guy.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Benjamin isn't athletic at all, he's just a big target and should be seen as a TE.

P. Rich's is a problem. The Colorado offense has 10 bad news bears players on offense that no competent team should pay attention to, then there's Paul Richardson. It just surprises me how open he gets despite the defense having to know he's the only threat on the team.

And yes in this draft Cooks is a 3rd rounder for our offense. He doesn't suit the 49ers well, but he's athletic and productive.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's no disputing the size, but Benjamin isn't very athletic. His 40 was slow, his vertical was below average, and his short shuttle and three-cone were among the worst at the combine. He may have to basically play TE in the NFL. I see Marques Colston as his ceiling, and that may be quite generous. Colston's combine workout was markedly better. I see shades of Mike Williams when I look at the guy.

You got it covered.

But KB is more of a Ladarius Green in my mind.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The 49ers likely use 3 or more WR sets the least in the league. We already have slot receivers as you said in Boldin and Patton for at least the next two years. If I'm Baalke, I'm looking to draft Crabtree's replacement. Robinson would be my 1st choice (minus Evans and Watkins), but if he's not there, I'd go with Martavis Bryant, who is a likely 2nd-3rd rounder. Our 1st round pick needs to be spend on the secondary IMO. Bryant brings size and low 4.4 speed also is an immediate RZ target.

I agree with everything you said. I don't want to depend on the level of involvement Roman will give Cooks in the offense as a rookie. Players like Tavon Austin and Cordarelle Patterson didn't really get going until the latter third of the season. There is no way Cooks will get any sort of traction in our offense during his rookie year. He might help us down the road, but I rather use a 1st rounder on a CB who has an excellent chance at starting from day 1.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

agree. look for the best overall WR we can draft, not a 'speed' guy, not a 'slot guy', and not a 'deep threat'.

don't know who we would target, but that's how we should approach it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Help me out with Martavis Bryant. Why do I have a really bad feeling about the guy?

I've seen him interviewed, and the way he comes off reminds me of Dez Bryant attitude-wise (no relation). This is not a good thing. Martavis isn't nearly as tough as Dez...

He's the #2 WR in a prolific offense behind Sammy Watkins, and his QB has a great O-line to give him lots of time to throw. Is this why I have a bad feeling about the guy?

Athletically, he reminds me of Justin Hunter. I liked Hunter a lot. So why don't I like Martavis Bryant? As far as I know, he's never been in trouble. But he just comes off like he's the most important thing on planet earth.

The only time I can ever remember saying this about players was when I said I had a bad feeling about Sergio Kindle & Justin Blackmon. Something just seemed off about those guys mentally (I think it was probably drugs). Bryant doesn't strike me as a guy who's fried his brain like the other 2 did, but something still makes me extremely wary.

Am I on to something, or am I worried for nothing?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandin Cooks - WR - Beavers

The Eagles are interested in Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks, "with head coach Chip Kelly particularly interested in the wideout," reports Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com.

It's no surprise that Cooks has caught Kelly's eye, and he could become DeSean Jackson's replacement. Coming out of college, the players were the same height (5-foot-10), but Cooks is 14 pounds heavier (189 to 175) and a smidgen faster (4.33 forty to 4.35). Cooks also put up far superior numbers despite playing in only two more games (226 catches/3,272 yards/24 TDs compared to Jackson's 162/2,423/22 touchdown).
Source: NJ.com

Mar 23 - 8:53 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Sammy Watkins - WR - Tigers

ESPN's Todd McShay called the 2014 WR class the "deepest position in what we're calling one of the deepest drafts ever."

McShay made the point to stress his opinion that teams have zero incentive to reach for a wide out in Round 1 because of the sheer number of quality WRs that are assured of being available in the middle rounds. One is advised to keep this thought in mind when projecting the draft slots of Clemson's Sammy Watkins, Texas A&M's Mike Evans, and the rest of the projected first-round WRs.
Source: ESPN's First Draft

Mar 22 - 3:30 PM

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Help me out with Martavis Bryant. Why do I have a really bad feeling about the guy?

I've seen him interviewed, and the way he comes off reminds me of Dez Bryant attitude-wise (no relation). This is not a good thing. Martavis isn't nearly as tough as Dez...

He's the #2 WR in a prolific offense behind Sammy Watkins, and his QB has a great O-line to give him lots of time to throw. Is this why I have a bad feeling about the guy?

Athletically, he reminds me of Justin Hunter. I liked Hunter a lot. So why don't I like Martavis Bryant? As far as I know, he's never been in trouble. But he just comes off like he's the most important thing on planet earth.

The only time I can ever remember saying this about players was when I said I had a bad feeling about Sergio Kindle & Justin Blackmon. Something just seemed off about those guys mentally (I think it was probably drugs). Bryant doesn't strike me as a guy who's fried his brain like the other 2 did, but something still makes me extremely wary.

Am I on to something, or am I worried for nothing?

He reminds me more of a poor mans Josh Gordon. He will make a good number 2 WO. One who can go deep and Moss corners. I would not mind getting him in the 3rd.