• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston should draft him just for a few minutes of humor/ironic coincidence and trade his rights for who they actually wasn't and some draft picks. I'm not being serious there, but I read a suggestion from someone last year that Kansas City should have picked Geno Smith for a random. That would have been awful, the Jets would have given a second and a seventh. ;)

I have also heard joke variations of KC picking him or trading Smith to Houston and drafting Carr so as to redo the We Want Carr chants. It might just be me, but if find it more ironic if that happened here to Kaepernick (won't and wouldn't ever happen). We should do it if the team who picks him comes to play SF and their QB struggles.

Fat fingers... Wasn't = want and random = ransom.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Marqise Lee - WR - Trojans

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks thinks USC WR Marqise Lee "will be a big-time playmaker at the next level" and could be the top WR prospect in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Give Brooks credit: He has conviction, as he's expressed this opinion for some time. Lee was the talk of college football when he collected 118 receptions for 1,721 yards with 14 touchdowns in 2012, but he struggled a bit during an injury-plagued 2013 campaign. Brooks believes that Clemson WR Sammy Watkins and Lee "have nearly identical playing styles" and "are nearly equals as pure athletes." That said, they aren't equally-valued prospects. "Although I believe Lee's flaws as a pass catcher are correctable, the inconsistencies would give Watkins the nod in an evaluation that is much closer than some would suggest based on the water-cooler conversations that are taking place around the league," Brooks wrote.
Source: NFL.com

Mar 20 - 3:43 PM

He certainly could be a sleeper depending on how far he slips; I'm reading people say anywhere from 18 at the Jets to the late 2nd round. Butt I like Matthews & Moncrief more at this point. Blocking is huge in the Niners' offense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2 more DL? Absolutely. Dobbs & Tony Jerod Eddie aren't even locks to make the team IMO. Neither is Dial.

if GREAT value falls to us, hard to argue against DL, but can't see us adding two unless it is the 7th round?

agree we don't know anything about Dial, and he's no lock, but how can they not give him the entire off-season to prove it? even adding one DL will limit his reps, essentially cutting him at the draft.

at the end of last season, pretty sure we were reading good stuff on TJE? not claiming he is a lock, but as a back-up player, that was very encouraging.

i would think they re-upped Dobbs for a GOOD reason?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MaioccoCSN: 49ers were represented by scout to cross-check at Vandy pro day of WR Jordan Matthews. Neither Jim Harbaugh nor Trent Baalke was there.

At least they sent someone. Good news?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The mock draft community is a bit sheepish. Vandy has their pro-day this upcoming Friday, regardless of whether he stands on his combine numbers and just does position drills, people are going to rise him into their top 5s for WR. As of now the community just wants to talk about Brandin Cooks as if he's stuff of legend, next it will be Jordan, who IMO is much more deserving than Cooks.

Sounds like Matthews had only an okay pro day, with a few drops.

Titans staff, Eagles? Kelly descend on Vanderbilt?s pro day - NFL.com

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sounds like Matthews had only an okay pro day, with a few drops.

Titans staff, Eagles? Kelly descend on Vanderbilt?s pro day - NFL.com

He had a +7% drop rate last year, but he can make the most difficult of catches, so focus/nerves might be a bit of an issue. The guy has too good of size, speed (despite it not being game speed), and production to drop down to the 9ers.

Somewhat random: his gameplay is an exact replica of his teammate Chris Boyd. I really wonder if Matthews tailors his game after Boyd, which would be a bit of a brow raiser with his cousin being the GOAT.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Would be nice addition: Rice's Phillip Gaines ranks as Charles Davis' top CB sleeper.

"Gaines was a star of the combine, putting up numbers comparable to those of Oklahoma State Justin Gilbert, who is considered the top corner in the draft," wrote Davis. "Gaines has good length, and has some strong believers. His defensive coordinator at Rice told me if he played at Alabama, we'd be talking about him as a first-round pick." Gaines (6-foot 1/4 and 193 pounds) tied TCU's Jason Verrett for the second fastest CB time (4.38) behind Gilbert. He also posted a 10-foot-2 broad jump, a 36 1/2-inch vertical, and 11 bench reps. A back-to-back first-team, All C-USA performer, Gaines allowed only 13 completions on 40 targets in 2013

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He had a +7% drop rate last year, but he can make the most difficult of catches, so focus/nerves might be a bit of an issue. The guy has too good of size, speed (despite it not being game speed), and production to drop down to the 9ers.

Somewhat random: his gameplay is an exact replica of his teammate Chris Boyd. I really wonder if Matthews tailors his game after Boyd, which would be a bit of a brow raiser with his cousin being the GOAT.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy a lot. I just think there's a pretty good chance he falls into the second in a deep class that is strong at WR.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So what happened to Tiny Richardson? Are his medical concerns so dire that he's now a 2nd / 3rd round pick? Is it that serious?

And is this Marcus McNeill all over again?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I may have realized why Baalke might pass on Dominique Easley.

RayMac: 34 1/4
Dorsey: 34 5/8
Aldon Smith: 35 3/8

...Couldn't find JSmith's arm length. I think it's like 34, but I could be wrong.

Easley: 32 7/8

Niners like those long-armed DL.

...So could Tuitt (34 3/4) & Kareem Martin (35) be on the radar?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have realized why Baalke might pass on Dominique Easley.

RayMac: 34 1/4
Dorsey: 34 5/8
Aldon Smith: 35 3/8

...Couldn't find JSmith's arm length. I think it's like 34, but I could be wrong.

Easley: 32 7/8

Niners like those long-armed DL.

...So could Tuitt (34 3/4) & Kareem Martin (35) be on the radar?

I has that same realization when that was posted. It sure gives away Baalke's hand to other GM's if all they have to do is go by arm length. In all fairness he wasn't around when we picked up RayMac.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well the draft is starting to shape up. I'm sure a lot of names will move up & down over the next 5 weeks, but I think we're getting a decent picture of who should be there & who shouldn't. Here's my revised list of players who'll probably gone by 30 (besides the obvious):

Brandin Cooks, Bradley Roby, Kyle Fuller, Louis Nix, Ra'Shede
Hageman
, Darqueze Dennard, Marqise Lee, C-Dix & Pryor.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So Stephon Tuitt didn't run at pro' day. This is going to hurt him big time. Rarely do players get selected high without having run either at the combine or pro' day.

Could this push him down to the early 2nd round??? :hope:

Last edited by a moderator:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't get me wrong, I like the guy a lot. I just think there's a pretty good chance he falls into the second in a deep class that is strong at WR.

I'm not trying to convince you he's good, just that it's unlikely for him to fall to us in the first. He's a safe pick, there's not much to dislike about him

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not trying to convince you he's good, just that it's unlikely for him to fall to us in the first. He's a safe pick, there's not much to dislike about him

I'll be surprised if he isn't still there in the first, but we'll see in a couple months.