• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Draft Thread

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IF demers can rediscover his solid play of two years ago, and braun can continue to develop his game at both ends, then the sharks might have two steals. I dont see the upside in wingels that others seem to. He strikes me at another torrey mitchell. Quick, reasonable hands, actually a bit physical, but smaller and lacks the agility to be anything more than a so-so 3rd liner. I'd love to be wrong on him, but I just dont see it.

Now, the big question for the late rounders is probably in the more intriguing recent ones. Abeltshauser looks like he has potential and moffie too. Freddie Hamilton looks solid and even chris crane was among the tops at OSU and Ferriero was nearly a point per game player before injuries. The 2010 late class, as well as demelo from 2011, all seem to have some potential, so I suppose if any of those guys develops well, it could be good.

I know that I am pretty negative right now, but it's hard not to be. Last year was a comedy of errors for dougie (zues, galiardi, moore...) with the exception of burns only because he resigned and I could see it coming on each one. Now, dougie signs stuart to a 3.6M and I see that as more of the same with an aging Dman past his prime signed for top 4 type money. Then he passes on a guy with one of the highest upsides in the whole draft in teravainen because "he's a little small" and takes a much lower rates slow guy only to draft several small people later and talk about how size isnt that key. It's just one strange move after another. I dont know what's coming next, but it's just kinda hard to be a glass half full guy at this point for me.

I agree Rules, last year was definitely tough. In years past, I think Wilson had done a really good job with the moves he'd made. But last year, with the exception of the Burns trade which I love, it was horrible.
Signing Handzus was the first mistake. Thinking Mitchell was a 3rd liner was another. Then he trades McGinn.
I understand his thinking.....He realized the 3rd line sucked, so he traded McGinn for what he thought would be 2 solid 3rd liner players in Winnik and TJ, except TJ then didn't do anything to help. He also trades a 2nd round pick hoping Moore could be a solid 3rd liner, but struck out there too. It's like in Vegas when you lose and start chasing your money....you never catch up.....To me, that's what happened.
To his credit, Wilson's first move was to go after Vrbata, which Vrbata confirmed in an interview. If he had signed him, things could have changed dramatically.
I'm trying to give him a pass for last year, but it's tough. I'm definitely anxious to see what happens this offseason. He needs to find a way to add 2 legit 3rd liners. I know you aren't as high on him, but I think Wingles could be a really good 3rd liner. I thought that in the beginning of the season before they sent him down. If they aren't able to pick anyone else up, I see more of the same from last season. A healthy Havlat, fingers crossed, helps for sure, but the 3rd line has to be upgraded....