• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Draft Thread

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seto is probably the only one that actually worked out for them. And its not all on Wilson, they have some terrible 1st rds back in the day to before the Wilson era. Is there some scout on the team that been here through all or majority of the drafts?

Someone mentioned Tim Burke as the culprit.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I cant believe Brain Burke just butt raped Paul Holmgren for JVR for Luke Schenn, must mean that Pronger is done. And Holmgren just gets dumber with each passing season

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I cant believe Brain Burke just butt raped Paul Holmgren for JVR for Luke Schenn, must mean that Pronger is done. And Holmgren just gets dumber with each passing season

Yeah, trading JVR for a dman that's barely been able to hack bottom pairing duties is a bit puzzling.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dont know much about him, but This is from the merc:

"Chris Tierney (2nd round, 55th overall), 6-foot, 181-pounds; 11 goals and 34 points in 65 games with London (OHL). Ranked 118th North American skater by NHL Central Scouting."

Ummmm.... 118th? In just north america? kid musta been rated below 150 worldwide. I understand he was low on the london depth chart, but WTF? The 150th ranked skater wasnt gunna be around pick 109ish (that they got from the hawks)?

If he was projected as an early 3rd rounder, why would be rated so low?

Seems like another shot in the dark...

p.s.: I still cant believe people keep posting about how well they do in the late rounds. Name one great pick rounds 3-7 since 2004? Hell, aside from cooch, name one great pick at all who developed well beyond his draft position.

This reputation comes from looong ago (cuz of pavs, clowe, nabby and kipper) and is just not true anymore.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

"Chris Tierney (2nd round, 55th overall), 6-foot, 181-pounds; 11 goals and 34 points in 65 games with London (OHL). Ranked 118th North American skater by NHL Central Scouting."

Ummmm.... 118th? In just north america? kid musta been rated below 150 worldwide. I understand he was low on the london depth chart, but WTF? The 150th ranked skater wasnt gunna be around pick 109ish (that they got from the hawks)?

p.s.: I still cant believe people keep posting about how well they do in the late rounds. Name one great pick rounds 3-7 since 2004? Hell, aside from cooch, name one great pick at all who developed well beyond his draft position.

This reputation comes from looong ago (cuz of pavs, clowe, nabby and kipper) and is just not true anymore.

Your just defeated and beyond negative lol, but its understandable as a fan you can only take an ass kicking for so long and keep smiling lol

That being said the sharks have been drafting young in the late rounds and most of those guys are NCAA bound and it appears its working out for the better.

Goaltending prospects are still the franchises bread and butter and theres no shortage of that in the system, if Dwill were smart he would deal Sucksmith while is stock is high for some prospect forward depth.

If he could unload Heermskreek that to free up a contract that would be awesome too, that guy is a shit pile lol

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

p.s.: I still cant believe people keep posting about how well they do in the late rounds. Name one great pick rounds 3-7 since 2004? Hell, aside from cooch, name one great pick at all who developed well beyond his draft position.This reputation comes from looong ago (cuz of pavs, clowe, nabby and kipper) and is just not true anymore.

Demers, Wingles, Bonino, Braun and eventually Stalock

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Especially Wingels, potential sharks equivalent of Kris Draper

I'd put his ceiling a lot higher than that. You could arguably add Derek Joslin to that list as well.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not drafted but Andrew Desjardins is turning into a heck of a find by the scouting staff.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd put his ceiling a lot higher than that. You could arguably add Derek Joslin to that list as well.

I dunno i can see him being a spot duty guy on the second wing, maybe if he maximizes his potential he could turn into a Chris Kunitz type of player, i see him as more as a premier 3rd liner.

Joslin eh, he went to carolina and shit the bed, Josh Gorges however turned into a top 4 dman in Montreal, to bad he was to small for the west

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dunno i can see him being a spot duty guy on the second wing, maybe if he maximizes his potential he could turn into a Chris Kunitz type of player, i see him as more as a premier 3rd liner.

Joslin eh, he went to carolina and shit the bed, Josh Gorges however turned into a top 4 dman in Montreal, to bad he was to small for the west

That's almost exactly my take on Wingles though he skates better and is better defensively than Kunitz.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's almost exactly my take on Wingles though he skates better and is better defensively than Kunitz.

Agreed far better skater and much smarter on the defensive side of the puck, its kind of why i was thinking Draper, i dont think he has the best finishing skills on break away type situation but drifting into one timer position off the boards and into the slot is really good.

I think im repeating whats already been said lol

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Demers, Wingles, Bonino, Braun and eventually Stalock

none of those guys are much, at least now. Demers was a healthy scratch alot last season. Wingels is a borderline 3/4th liner right now. Bonino is a 3/4th liner and braun may eventually be a reasonable #4/5 Dman. If it werent for the early success, noone would be applauding those kind of returns on the late picks. Many other teams have gotten far far better since 2004.

LA: Quick was a 3rd rounder, Alec martinez and Dwight king were both 4th rounders and all three were huge in their cup.

Bos: Versteeg (5th round), Hunwick (7th), Marchand (3rd).

Chi: Brouwer (7th), hjalmarsson (4th).

Van: Edler (3rd), Hansen (9th)

Pit: Tyler Kennedy (4th), Letang (3rd)

I could go for a while, but I bet well over half the teams in the league have at least one late draft pick that has been far better than anything the sharks have picked since '04.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
none of those guys are much, at least now. Demers was a healthy scratch alot last season. Wingels is a borderline 3/4th liner right now. Bonino is a 3/4th liner and braun may eventually be a reasonable #4/5 Dman. If it werent for the early success, noone would be applauding those kind of returns on the late picks. Many other teams have gotten far far better since 2004.

LA: Quick was a 3rd rounder, Alec martinez and Dwight king were both 4th rounders and all three were huge in their cup.

I could go for a while, but I bet well over half the teams in the league have at least one late draft pick that has been far better than anything the sharks have picked since '04.

lol you make it sound like these guys were all gangbusters as soon as they came into the league. Until Sutter got to LA Martinez was in the press box, all of the other players you mentioned with exception to Kennedy and Letang took roughly 3 to 5 years to develop into effective players in the NHL.

Letang and Kennedy specifically play on a power packed team and that has a huge effect on their stats, more so kennedy then Letang, its a fairly moot argument. Pavelski and Clowe are very similar to all the players you mentioned

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So you credit Boston with Hunwick, a player used as a #6/#7 dman, but guys like Demers who played a top four role and preformed extremely well in 10/11 and Braun who was regularly used this year in a top four role and again preformed extremly well, are considered "not much"? How the hell does that work?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So you credit Boston with Hunwick, a player used as a #6/#7 dman, but guys like Demers who played a top four role and preformed extremely well in 10/11 and Braun who was regularly used this year in a top four role and again preformed extremly well, are considered "not much"? How the hell does that work?

OK, forget hunwick for Boston, bad inclusion :-). still Marchand and Versteeg are better than anything the sharks have drafted in rds 3-7 since 04. And of course if we include rd two, lucic would be better than any rd 2 shark (best shark, I think, would clearly be pickles).

As for Demers, he looked pretty legit, but took a huge stride backwards and now teeters on whether he'll be a solid NHL regular even. He could have #3/4 potential, but as now it's not there yet. Braun was used as a #4/5 Dman at his apex last year. He might settle in as a respectable #4, but I see little potential as a top pairing there.

Basically at this moment, neither demers now braun have established themselves as solid NHL talent and neither could be considered among the top 3 or 4 Dmen on any respectable team. The future may be different, but "potential" is what the draft is all about when actual results is what defines success.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OK, forget hunwick for Boston, bad inclusion :-). still Marchand and Versteeg are better than anything the sharks have drafted in rds 3-7 since 04. And of course if we include rd two, lucic would be better than any rd 2 shark (best shark, I think, would clearly be pickles).

As for Demers, he looked pretty legit, but took a huge stride backwards and now teeters on whether he'll be a solid NHL regular even. He could have #3/4 potential, but as now it's not there yet. Braun was used as a #4/5 Dman at his apex last year. He might settle in as a respectable #4, but I see little potential as a top pairing there.

Basically at this moment, neither demers now braun have established themselves as solid NHL talent and neither could be considered among the top 3 or 4 Dmen on any respectable team. The future may be different, but "potential" is what the draft is all about when actual results is what defines success.

Demers struggled with a lot of minor injuries all last season as well as trying to acclimate to playing the left side instead of his natural position on the right. Even with his step back this last season he's still a legit #5/#6 dman at this moment and one who has perfromed well previously in a top four role.

Braun's play this last season would make him easily a #4/#5 dman on many teams in the league.

Both have cemented themselves as legit NHLers. At what level, be it a 5/6 or a 3/4, only time will tell as it usually takes 4-5 years of professional (AHL/NHL) experience for project dmen to reach their full potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CBJ acquisition of Sergei Bobrovsky probably means they are no longer looking for a goalie. Which means they wouldn't want Neimi. Which means one less piece Doug can offer to land Nash. Which means "yay"!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Demers struggled with a lot of minor injuries all last season as well as trying to acclimate to playing the left side instead of his natural position on the right. Even with his step back this last season he's still a legit #5/#6 dman at this moment and one who has perfromed well previously in a top four role.

Braun's play this last season would make him easily a #4/#5 dman on many teams in the league.

Both have cemented themselves as legit NHLers. At what level, be it a 5/6 or a 3/4, only time will tell as it usually takes 4-5 years of professional (AHL/NHL) experience for project dmen to reach their full potential.

IF demers can rediscover his solid play of two years ago, and braun can continue to develop his game at both ends, then the sharks might have two steals. I dont see the upside in wingels that others seem to. He strikes me at another torrey mitchell. Quick, reasonable hands, actually a bit physical, but smaller and lacks the agility to be anything more than a so-so 3rd liner. I'd love to be wrong on him, but I just dont see it.

Now, the big question for the late rounders is probably in the more intriguing recent ones. Abeltshauser looks like he has potential and moffie too. Freddie Hamilton looks solid and even chris crane was among the tops at OSU and Ferriero was nearly a point per game player before injuries. The 2010 late class, as well as demelo from 2011, all seem to have some potential, so I suppose if any of those guys develops well, it could be good.

I know that I am pretty negative right now, but it's hard not to be. Last year was a comedy of errors for dougie (zues, galiardi, moore...) with the exception of burns only because he resigned and I could see it coming on each one. Now, dougie signs stuart to a 3.6M and I see that as more of the same with an aging Dman past his prime signed for top 4 type money. Then he passes on a guy with one of the highest upsides in the whole draft in teravainen because "he's a little small" and takes a much lower rates slow guy only to draft several small people later and talk about how size isnt that key. It's just one strange move after another. I dont know what's coming next, but it's just kinda hard to be a glass half full guy at this point for me.