• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Draft Thread

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His hand agility is outstanding for sure.

Going on an "if" rant here. If he overcomes his questionable work ethic, if he can fix an awkward skating stride, if he can greatly improve his foot speed, he will end up being a solid pick.

Would you say skating is one of the easier things to fix about a prospect?

Questionable work ethic? Gawd damn it...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, stalock is already 25 and has no NHL experience. Granted, you cant predict injuries, but he is far from a solid #1 goalie at this moment.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice backhander

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
read carefully... since 2004. Dougie wasnt GM during those picks. Dougie was GM in 2003 and that could have been the defining draft for the team, but the bernier off-the-board pick, after trading up too, changed the entire course of the franchise. The seto pick in '05 did as well taking him instead of kopitar and actually trading up to do it, too. If dougie goes with the "highest ranked player" theory, he would have picked Michalek (03), Getzlaf (03), Kopitar (05), and Chris Stewart (06). I am pretty sure that if we had made those picks instead of bernier, seto, and wishart, the sharks' fortunes might have been quite different.

At the start of the year Bernier was considered a top five prospect. His final ranking was 18 or 19 so he wasn't really an off the board pick. He was a high risk high reward pick that didn't pan out.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
read carefully... since 2004. Dougie wasnt GM during those picks. Dougie was GM in 2003 and that could have been the defining draft for the team, but the bernier off-the-board pick, after trading up too, changed the entire course of the franchise. The seto pick in '05 did as well taking him instead of kopitar and actually trading up to do it, too. If dougie goes with the "highest ranked player" theory, he would have picked Michalek (03), Getzlaf (03), Kopitar (05), and Chris Stewart (06). I am pretty sure that if we had made those picks instead of bernier, seto, and wishart, the sharks' fortunes might have been quite different.

But he was the head scout prior to being the GM, and its ridiculous to think things couldve been different in terms of winning a cup had he drafted in that order. Getzlaf isnt shit without Perry, Kopitar your not being honest with yourself if you think a kid from solvania was really high on anyones list. Chris Stewart?Really lol

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he was the head scout prior to being the GM, and its ridiculous to think things couldve been different in terms of winning a cup had he drafted in that order. Getzlaf isnt shit without Perry, Kopitar your not being honest with yourself if you think a kid from solvania was really high on anyones list. Chris Stewart?Really lol

In my humble opinion, Perry ain't shit without Getzlaf. Getzlaf is finally starting to show signs though of why they called him "Getzloaf" pre-draft. The guy has otherworldly talent, but maybe winning the Cup at such a young age has sapped him of his ambition. Kopi was a top 10 slated pick if I remember correctly. The reason why Columbus took Gilbert Brule was because he was a NA kid. Supposedly it was a coin flip. Chris Stewart is the sucks. He belongs on the Sharks with his lackadaisical attitude, lol.

Seeing Rules post from yours though, Kopitar is a great guy, but he didn't "lead" the Kings to the Cup. He was one of many who played really well in the playoffs after he got a TON of help in Richards and Carter taking some pressure off.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, stalock is already 25 and has no NHL experience. Granted, you cant predict injuries, but he is far from a solid #1 goalie at this moment.

Brouduer was 22 before he got his first real NHL Experince and didnt become starter until he was 23, Hasek didnt become a starter until he was 27, Tim Thomas was what 34? Stalock did a full college career prior to going to the AHL, the sharks log jam at net and his injuries have kept him in the AHL, on top of there being no real need to rush him

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lol, as bad as I'm sure I made him sound Hertl isn't a terrible pick. I just feel there were players with a lot more dynamic offensive potential available. Also, selecting 1st rounders with poor skating ability is a bit of a pet peev of mine.

I really don't know much about these players, so I am definitely interested in what you guys have to say about the pick.
The poor skating wouldn't be a huge issue, if the team wasn't already full of guys that don't skate that well.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teh draft is just...meh.

Like someone already said, it doesn't matter who Dougie drafts... he'll trade them in a year or two, tops. One would hope he's no longer the GM by then, though...

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looking back, dougie has never, once, picked a 1st round stud other than cooch, who was rated as such. Maybe its time to take a long look at Tim Burke, too, in regards to accountability.

Since 2004-2009 (too early to judge 2010 and on), the sharks have had a total of 44 picks including 9 in the first 2 rounds. They have drafted exactly ZERO top pair Dmen, ZERO #1 goalies, and ONE bonafide top 6 forward (cooch since seto is iffy). That is a super shittttty job.

Time for Burke to go, too.

Damn!!! You'd think they would have accidentally hit on some better players!!
They have drafted well in the later rounds, but you can't continue to whiff on your top picks.
Maybe whiff is too strong a word.....but miss out on much better players like Kopitar, Parise, etc....

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really don't know much about these players, so I am definitely interested in what you guys have to say about the pick.
The poor skating wouldn't be a huge issue, if the team wasn't already full of guys that don't skate that well.

I've only seen him a limited amount in international tourneys but my take on the positive to his game would be -

Arguably the best set of hands in the draft. He sees the ice really well and is a good playmaker. Strong balance on his skates and protects the puck well. Also has above average agility, surprising for someone with such an awkward stride.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it was player development lol, and you are correct sir lol, drafted the year he retired

I really don't care I'm just really disappointed in the Sharks at the moment. Here one of the biggest problems for the Sharks the last few years (aside from the intangibles) is that they are a slow team, with several exceptions. So what do the Sharks do? They take the worst skater in the first round. There's not very many positives right now.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've only seen him a limited amount in international tourneys but my take on the positive to his game would be -

Arguably the best set of hands in the draft. He sees the ice really well and is a good playmaker. Strong balance on his skates and protects the puck well. Also has above average agility, surprising for someone with such an awkward stride.

I like the positives.....hopefully they can fix the negatives....

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really don't care I'm just really disappointed in the Sharks at the moment. Here one of the biggest problems for the Sharks the last few years (aside from the intangibles) is that they are a slow team, with several exceptions. So what do the Sharks do? They take the worst skater in the first round. There's not very many positives right now.

The sharks are slow at the forward position with Pavelski,Clowe and Handlube errrr Handzus. Outside of that they are on par with the rest of the league. Murray is a slug with no agility, but he is on the way out

Couture isnt blazing fast but he is able to keep up with his agility and smarts, so i give him a pass. It pained me to say it at the start of the season but Thornton has actually gotten a little quicker and gained some top end speed,Marleau and Havlat are still world class speedsters.

Desjardins is probably the slowest of the young bucks but he to can keep up especially in his role as a 4th liner.

I agree the first round hasnt been the best for the sharks current scouting core, however their late round prowess cant be denied either, its catch 22 at this point lol

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In my humble opinion, Perry ain't shit without Getzlaf. Getzlaf is finally starting to show signs though of why they called him "Getzloaf" pre-draft. The guy has otherworldly talent, but maybe winning the Cup at such a young age has sapped him of his ambition. Kopi was a top 10 slated pick if I remember correctly. The reason why Columbus took Gilbert Brule was because he was a NA kid. Supposedly it was a coin flip. Chris Stewart is the sucks. He belongs on the Sharks with his lackadaisical attitude, lol.

Seeing Rules post from yours though, Kopitar is a great guy, but he didn't "lead" the Kings to the Cup. He was one of many who played really well in the playoffs after he got a TON of help in Richards and Carter taking some pressure off.

Getzlaf is damn good and while he had a bad year, Id take him in a split second if the ducks shopped him. Perry is great, no question, but getzlaf is good on his own.

Also, I just went by the draft rankings, not my own opinion. Kopitar was ranked much higher than seto and was the highest ranked player available at the time. Getzlaf was the 5th ranked NA skater while Bernier was not in the top 10. Parise was also a much higher rated skater. I didnt make the rankings, im just reporting what I saw and pretty much every time dougie has gone for the lower ranked skater, it has been a costly mistake.

Now, as for the super late rounds, they seem pretty good, but arent much recently. They havent had a real hit since pavs in 2003. They had several great late picks further back (clowe, nabby, kipper, etc), but since 2004, the only picks in rounds 3-7 that have even made it to the NHL in a meaningful way (i.e. not just a few games) are Mitchell, Joslin, Braun, Bonino, Demers, and Wingels. Not a single one of those guys is a legit top 9 forward or top 4 dman, so it's not like they have been so great in the late rounds in recent history either.

Thats largely the reason that they have no farm and were unable to even reach the cup finals. They have ridden the older good drafting (pavs, clowe, etc) and thornton train into the PO's each year, but that ship is sailing into the sun and the failures the last 8 years to draft well have caught up with them.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The sharks are slow at the forward position with Pavelski,Clowe and Handlube errrr Handzus. Outside of that they are on par with the rest of the league. Murray is a slug with no agility, but he is on the way out

Couture isnt blazing fast but he is able to keep up with his agility and smarts, so i give him a pass. It pained me to say it at the start of the season but Thornton has actually gotten a little quicker and gained some top end speed,Marleau and Havlat are still world class speedsters.

Desjardins is probably the slowest of the young bucks but he to can keep up especially in his role as a 4th liner.

I agree the first round hasnt been the best for the sharks current scouting core, however their late round prowess cant be denied either, its catch 22 at this point lol

except it can (see post above). they havent had a legit hit in the late rounds in 8 years either. That reputation comes from the late 90's and early 2000's, but is no longer so true.