• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Draft Thread

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dunno who Olli Maata is but if he is anything like Terro Maata (past Sharks draft pick) stay the F away. Also, I do not agree with any mock (sportscity) that has the Sharks selecting a D man. Sharks need some forwards in the system.

Maata would be a solid pick at 17. If they do pick a dman Lindholm, Maata, Finn, or Koekkoek would all be good choices at the 17 spot.

Assuming Dougie doesn't trade the pick away or move up or down in the draft I have a feeling they may go off the radar with this pick.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter who the Sharks should take at 17 because they won't have the pick after Dougie makes another one of his ridiculous trades. I remember when Wilson was savvy enough to poach a first round pick away from New Jersey so they could re-sign Gomez, which also kept Gomez from going to Calgary. Those were the days (although Wilson ended up trading that pick away too).

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The mock draft on the NHL network also has the Sharks taking Grigorenko

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when Wilson was smart enough to trade up and grab Couture or when he grabbed Coyle. Have some faith, DWil can make the right moves... until he trades his good prospects away for a guy who injures himself on a line change.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A Russian player on the Sharks? Nonsense.

He drafted Sobchenko (RIP) last year. Some GM's, I don't know if Wilson is one of them, view Russian prospects who come over to play in the CHL differently than those who are still playing in Russia.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson will pick who they believe to be the best available player weather it be a forward or dman.

Is that the general draft strategy for NHL GMs? I think NFL GMs do draft for need in many cases.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is that the general draft strategy for NHL GMs? I think NFL GMs do draft for need in many cases.

For the most part, yes. In the NFL players go from the draft straight to contributing at the pro level. The occurance of that is much more rare in the NHL and the main reason for the difference in draft philosophies. Picking the best available player will mean a higher trade value should roster needs become greater than the need for prospect depth.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, yes. In the NFL players go from the draft straight to contributing at the pro level. The occurance of that is much more rare in the NHL and the main reason for the difference in draft philosophies. Picking the best available player will mean a higher trade value should roster needs become greater than the need for prospect depth.

Makes lots of sense. Draft the best player available, then if there is a surplus within the organization, trade for a need. Sharks don't need to worry about surplus any time soon.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks said:
RT @cotsonika Hmm. Asked if Canucks and Sharks had made a trade, Wilson smiled and said they would tell players first

Wonder what Wilson would be interested in on the Nucks.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Visnovsky went to the Isles for a 2nd.

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This run on D in the draft.. good for the Sharks? More forward talent available at their pick am guessing.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Staal to Car for the 8th overall and Brandon Sutter.

Good deal from both sides, you gotta say. Once staal wasnt gunna stay long term, pitt cant let him walk for nothing in exchange for just one year. Sutter and the 8th pick is a nice return for a to-be-ufa, even one as good as staal.

For carolina, it's a bit steep, but sutter isnt that great, and an 8th pick only really is 50-50 to be a real impact player (higher to make the league, but 50-50 to be a stud). They also need to get back to respectability and you gotta like the staal combo there...

Im glad to see rebiero and visnovsky gone, though :-)

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow, Forsberg, Teravanien, and Grigs all still on the board at the 10 spot.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow, Forsberg, Teravanien, and Grigs all still on the board at the 10 spot.

yeah and the sharks could really use a forward... Wouldnt be surprised to see dougie trade up... Of course since none of them of are mass kids or 67's, I take it back.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah and the sharks could really use a forward... Wouldnt be surprised to see dougie trade up... Of course since none of them of are mass kids or 67's, I take it back.

I don't think Wilson is as hot for 67's players since Kilrea retired.

Now that I've said that he'll probably trade up and draft Ceci...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wonder what Wilson would be interested in on the Nucks.

could be gragnani?

Could be ballard for murray and zues or something like that. A mutual dump job. Ballard was very good in Phoenix and florida, he's 29, and signed at a reasonable deal IF he returns to form.

That would make sense for both teams since it's a win-win. SJS gets a Dman with some offensive ability. Van dumps what they see as excess weight and although the cap is even for next year, they get 2 additional years freed up.