• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Draft Thread

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Since Dwill seems to be on a sharks D reunion tour, i wonder after he lets Vandeermer and White walk and dumps Murray if he will sign Scott Hannan as the #7 guy

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are three approaches you can take in life: You can wait and see what happens, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the fuck happened. - Capt. Phil Harris

This sums up this draft lol

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow and with one piss poor draft choice.....the board died lol

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Lol, as bad as I'm sure I made him sound Hertl isn't a terrible pick. I just feel there were players with a lot more dynamic offensive potential available. Also, selecting 1st rounders with poor skating ability is a bit of a pet peev of mine.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Came here to see how things shaped up for the Sharks. At least Doug didn't move up in the draft to get him. I don't know much about these young bucks so I'll just hope he pans out somehow.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One good thing is that a trade for Nash would most likely have included this first rounder. That didn't happen so perhaps we can sigh in relief for that.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm already upset enough at the prospect of two certain players on the Sharks next year, why pantshit even more when I know that DWil never takes the popular choice? Sad thing is, the rich get richer with Chicago taking TT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lol, as bad as I'm sure I made him sound Hertl isn't a terrible pick. I just feel there were players with a lot more dynamic offensive potential available. Also, selecting 1st rounders with poor skating ability is a bit of a pet peev of mine.

Just from what ive read about him he seemed better suited for a mid 2nd rounder. Certainly not a first rounder. But oh well i guess we shall see how this goes lol, Skating can always be improved if he applies himself, if his hands are as good as some people are saying then he could be a diamond in the rough

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm already upset enough at the prospects of two certain players on the Sharks next year, why pantshit even more when I know that DWil never takes the popular choice? Sad thing is, the rich get richer with Chicago taking TT.

That's the big problem. He basically never goes with the "best" player on the board.

2003 was the best example and when you look at the rankings, who developed how, who won subsequent cups, and where the sharks picked, it's crystal clear why the sharks havent won a cup. The michalek pick was pretty much in line, but bernier was picked in front of parise and getzlaf, both ranked far higher. Had the sharks taken the highest player available, that woulda been getzlaf and maybe then we win a cup.

In 2005, the sharks passed on much much higher rated anze kopitar and mark Staal to take seto. Granted seto is OK, but Kopitar led the kings to a cup.

in 2006, sharks took wishart in front of the higher rated chris stewart.

In 2007, cooch was right in line (former #1 ranking before Mono) and Petrecki was actually a supposed steal at 28th, so cant blame on that one.

In 2010, Etem was a sure-fire top 15, possible top 10 pick, and fell to 29th and the sharks passed. Watch him star for the ducks real soon...

Now we'll see about teravainen. If he goes on to be a stud, it will really really suck, but he will forever be the "next best choice" that they passed on.

Obviously, there were other higher rated players who fizzled, but the rankings usually exist for a reason.

I'm just so disappointed, yet again, but the inability to go for it with a higher risk-high reward pick. I guess we'll see how it pans out 3 years from now.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just from what ive read about him he seemed better suited for a mid 2nd rounder. Certainly not a first rounder. But oh well i guess we shall see how this goes lol, Skating can always be improved if he applies himself, if his hands are as good as some people are saying then he could be a diamond in the rough

His hand agility is outstanding for sure.

Going on an "if" rant here. If he overcomes his questionable work ethic, if he can fix an awkward skating stride, if he can greatly improve his foot speed, he will end up being a solid pick.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's the big problem. He basically never goes with the "best" player on the board.

2003 was the best example and when you look at the rankings, who developed how, who won subsequent cups, and where the sharks picked, it's crystal clear why the sharks havent won a cup. The michalek pick was pretty much in line, but bernier was picked in front of parise and getzlaf, both ranked far higher. Had the sharks taken the highest player available, that woulda been getzlaf and maybe then we win a cup.

In 2005, the sharks passed on much much higher rated anze kopitar and mark Staal to take seto. Granted seto is OK, but Kopitar led the kings to a cup.

in 2006, sharks took wishart in front of the higher rated chris stewart.

In 2007, cooch was right in line (former #1 ranking before Mono) and Petrecki was actually a supposed steal at 28th, so cant blame on that one.

In 2010, Etem was a sure-fire top 15, possible top 10 pick, and fell to 29th and the sharks passed. Watch him star for the ducks real soon...

Now we'll see about teravainen. If he goes on to be a stud, it will really really suck, but he will forever be the "next best choice" that they passed on.

Obviously, there were other higher rated players who fizzled, but the rankings usually exist for a reason.

I'm just so disappointed, yet again, but the inability to go for it with a higher risk-high reward pick. I guess we'll see how it pans out 3 years from now.

Looking back, dougie has never, once, picked a 1st round stud other than cooch, who was rated as such. Maybe its time to take a long look at Tim Burke, too, in regards to accountability.

Since 2004-2009 (too early to judge 2010 and on), the sharks have had a total of 44 picks including 9 in the first 2 rounds. They have drafted exactly ZERO top pair Dmen, ZERO #1 goalies, and ONE bonafide top 6 forward (cooch since seto is iffy). That is a super shittttty job.

Time for Burke to go, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect Hertl to be traded sometime during the season anyway, if not before. Dougie doesn't care, once the Sharks crash and burn he'll be fired and he can move on leaving this mess behind for someone else to clean up.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Pens have made another deal

Pitt has dealt Z. Michalek to Phx in exchange for prospect Harrison Ruopp plus a 3rd-round pick this year (81st) and goalie Marc Cheverie

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking back, dougie has never, once, picked a 1st round stud other than cooch, who was rated as such. Maybe its time to take a long look at Tim Burke, too, in regards to accountability.

Since 2004-2009 (too early to judge 2010 and on), the sharks have had a total of 44 picks including 9 in the first 2 rounds. They have drafted exactly ZERO top pair Dmen, ZERO #1 goalies, and ONE bonafide top 6 forward (cooch since seto is iffy). That is a super shittttty job.

Time for Burke to go, too.

Kipper and Nabby werent #1's? wierd, and oh yeah and probably Stalock

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Pitt has dealt Z. Michalek to Phx in exchange for prospect Harrison Ruopp plus a 3rd-round pick this year (81st) and goalie Marc Cheverie

What a bizzare trade, was it a cap move?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What a bizzare trade, was it a cap move?

Probably. Rumor is they are trying to trade for Suter's rights. Wouldn't be surprised if they make a strong push for Parise as well.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pens just cleared some major cap space. One of Parise or Suter is going to be a Penguin. Yikes.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kipper and Nabby werent #1's? wierd, and oh yeah and probably Stalock

read carefully... since 2004. Dougie wasnt GM during those picks. Dougie was GM in 2003 and that could have been the defining draft for the team, but the bernier off-the-board pick, after trading up too, changed the entire course of the franchise. The seto pick in '05 did as well taking him instead of kopitar and actually trading up to do it, too. If dougie goes with the "highest ranked player" theory, he would have picked Michalek (03), Getzlaf (03), Kopitar (05), and Chris Stewart (06). I am pretty sure that if we had made those picks instead of bernier, seto, and wishart, the sharks' fortunes might have been quite different.