• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kansas City's new draft focus
February, 27, 2013 1:06PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

Well, the Kansas City Chiefs found their new QB: a deal has been reached for them to acquire QB Alex Smith, sending their 2013 second-round pick (No. 34 overall) and a conditional pick in 2014 to San Francisco in exchange. With Smith set to join the roster once the trade becomes official on March 12, that means that they won't be targeting a QB with the No. 1 overall pick. So who will they select?

In the wake of the news, an echo chamber effect was seen on Twitter, as many felt the urge to express their belief that Texas A&M OT Luke Joeckel would now be the Chiefs' pick. He still could be. But it's not a definite by any stretch. The Chiefs do have an impending free agent at the LT position in Branden Albert, and although Albert is not considered to be amongst the top-tier, he's a viable option; moreover, he's a known commodity.

The Chiefs are also not without need for improvement at other positions on the roster. Utah DT Star Lotulelei has the ability to kick out to play a 3-4 DE, and Kansas City is looking for help there. Despite a relative lack of ball skills, Alabama CB Dee Milliner is just about the total package at that position, and would form a dominant duo with Brandon Flowers. (Of course, no CB has ever been drafted No. 1 overall).

Kansas City has a lot of homework left to do; any of these prospects mentioned could be their favorite by the time opening night of the draft rolls around. The good news is that they now have a QB that they believe can lead their turnaround, and that's a huge hole that is now filled.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some WR targets for Minnesota
February, 27, 2013 11:57AM ET

Whether or not the Minnesota Vikings actually trade WR/returner Percy Harvin -- and the latest buzz seems to be that they will not, though that can obviously change -- they're going to need to address the WR position with some outside additions; obviously, if Harvin is gone, that need becomes even greater. There are a number of veteran WRs set to hit free agency, and also a number of interesting draft prospects, though none is foreseen as a "can't miss" prospect like Calvin Johnson or A.J. Green.

Dan Wiederer of the Star Tribune identified a dozen possibilities in a post this week. From the free agent ranks, Wiederer believes that Greg Jennings, Brandon Gibson and Donnie Avery are names to keep in mind. As for the draft, he foresees the Vikes considering early-round picks on Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams, Quinton Patton, Justin Hunter, DeAndre Hopkins and Robert Woods, while later-round selections could be used on Aaron Mellette or Josh Boyce.

It's a big group, but that's how it goes this early on in the process. We'll get a sense of just how desperate they'll be at draft-time by what they do in the opening weeks of free agency.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Warmack to Oakland at No. 3?
February, 27, 2013 8:36AM ET

Last week, we pondered the idea that the Philadelphia Eagles could go against the prevailing wisdom of recent NFL draft history, and take an offensive guard with the No. 4 overall pick. This isn't just any offensive guard, though: Alabama's Chance Warmack has been called not just the top offensive lineman in this year's draft class, but the top overall prospect at any position by the NFL Network's Mike Mayock. So getting him fourth would technically be a steal, by that logic. In any event, what if Warmack isn't even on the board for Philly at No. 4, due to his being taken by one of the teams ahead of them?

ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson pondered that hypothetical as it relates to the Oakland Raiders -- possessors of the No. 3 overall pick -- in a recent mailbag. He doesn't close the door on the possibility:

Bill Williamson
AFC West mailbag

"I get the sense the Raiders like Warmack. But they have great defensive needs and I think that is where they will lean with this pick. However, if Oakland absolutely falls in love with Warmack, I wouldn't be stunned if he was the choice. He'd be a great anchor to the offensive line."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Evan Silva:

"Word around the NFL" is #Raiders are interested in Geno Smith at the 3rd overall pick, per ESPN's Chris Mortensen:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surely we would draft Moore if he fell to us. You can take all the measurables and toss them. His on field play was dominant. Then again he might be a knucklehead and you can't overcome that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just freekin' found out the Niners stole the 33rd pick of the draft from the Chiefs!

Chiefs = favourite AFC team of all time. :)

Throw out whatever I said before; the Niners need to trade up for Hankins AND Jarvis Jones. Hankins is one of the 5 best players in the entire draft, and Jones is far more valuable to a team like the Niners than a team who doesn't already have established staters at OLB.

This needs to happen!!!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Hold on a second... Sam Montgomery in the 3rd friggn' round?

Whaaaaaaaaat? I know he rubbed some coaches the wrong way, but the dude can rush the passer. That's just silly. If he's there in the 3rd and the Niners don't take Jarvis Jones, I'd take him to be the situational pass rusher. He's even a little big for an OLB, so he could cut 10 pounds & gain some speed.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Since the Niners have so many picks now, I just got a lot more interested in them drafting Marcus Lattimore. I wonder if he'll be there in the 4th.

Lattimore, Bray & Jarvis Jones would be risky picks, but all three of them could be potential gold mines.

And then there's Hankins, Cornelius Washington, Justin Hunter & Sam Montgomery (if that last mock is accurate) one whom draft analysts are simply sleeping.

Yes, I know I'm monopolizing this thread right now, but I just found out about the 34th pick, so I'm a little excited. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Surely we would draft Moore if he fell to us. You can take all the measurables and toss them. His on field play was dominant. Then again he might be a knucklehead and you can't overcome that.

Are people really putting THAT much stock in his 40 time??? If I were a 4-3 team, I wouldn't give a crap about his 40. He still had a very good verical, a decent broad jump & very long arms.

He must be stupider than stupid for his stock to have tamked so low so quickly. That reminds me of a quote from Jimmy Johnson: "Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I draft a dumb player. You can't fix dumb."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore (knee surgeries) stands little chance of playing football during his rookie season.

"The medicals on him are not great," said Mort. "Dr. (James) Andrews, who did the surgery, says it's one of the toughest surgeries he's ever had. ... You take Marcus Lattimore, you're taking him for 2014. Nobody wants to shoot down the inspiration for him, but the bottom line is it's going to be a long road." Expect Lattimore to be a middle- to late-round flier in April's draft.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tyler Wilson in the 4th? And more importantly Landry Jones isn't even picked in the first 4 rounds? Call me crazy, but why the hell would we not take Landry Jones in the 4th or 3rd round? The dude has all of the tools IMO. this could be a perfect situation for him. Especially if he's available that late.

Love the Lattimoore pick, though.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore (knee surgeries) stands little chance of playing football during his rookie season.

"The medicals on him are not great," said Mort. "Dr. (James) Andrews, who did the surgery, says it's one of the toughest surgeries he's ever had. ... You take Marcus Lattimore, you're taking him for 2014. Nobody wants to shoot down the inspiration for him, but the bottom line is it's going to be a long road." Expect Lattimore to be a middle- to late-round flier in April's draft.

Man, that sucks for him, but the stars keep lining up for the 49ers. They don't need a RB, but they could possibly steal a great player (if he returns at all) for 2014 for one of many later picks they have. It's a perfect scenario for the Niners. Plus, later picks are gonna have a hard time making the team anyway because the team is already good. The fact that he won't play in 2013 probably dropped his stock an entire round. I could see the Niners getting him in the 5th.

This is just like the Jarvis Jones situation. Best player in NCAA, but teams don't want to spend a high pick on a guy who could retire after 5 years. Enter the Niners, who don't need an every down LB but could use help rushing the passer; so they could get the best player in NCAA for maybe 30% of the snaps & they wouldn't have to spend a top 5 pick to get him.

The future looks bright! The team already was great with zero help from any rookie last year except James. Now add 15 draft picks to that! :)

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Wilson in the 4th? And more importantly Landry Jones isn't even picked in the first 4 rounds? Call me crazy, but why the hell would we not take Landry Jones in the 4th or 3rd round? The dude has all of the tools IMO. this could be a perfect situation for him. Especially if he's available that late.

Love the Lattimoore pick, though.

the Lattimore pick is the ONLY pick I was ok with. Not addressing NT in the first 4 rounds when BOTH of your NT are hitting the FA market? Hankins and Banks are there at 31 and we go S instead? Each of our picks sucked worse then the one before it before picking Lattimore IMO.

Based on this draft and where guys fell, I would have rather seen:

1. NT Hankins
2a. WR Hunter
2b. DE Montgomery
3a. CB Poyer
3b. C Jones (wasn't picked in the top 3 rounds?!?)
4. RB Lattimore

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are people really putting THAT much stock in his 40 time??? If I were a 4-3 team, I wouldn't give a crap about his 40. He still had a very good verical, a decent broad jump & very long arms.

He must be stupider than stupid for his stock to have tamked so low so quickly. That reminds me of a quote from Jimmy Johnson: "Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I draft a dumb player. You can't fix dumb."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Texas A&M DE Damontre Moore's poor Combine "validated whispers" among NFL scouts who were all along unimpressed by his athleticism.
Moore's stock is in a bit of a free fall after he managed a slow 4.95 forty-yard dash at 250 pounds, and hoisted just 12 reps on the bench. Moore ranked 22nd-of-37 defensive linemen in the forty, outrunning only DLs who weigh at least 30 pounds more than him. Once viewed as a possible top-five selection, Moore is really more of a late first-round and possible second-round pick. Feb 27 - 4:30 PM

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although the combine numbers are quite shocking, for me anyways...

Moore played like a beast and you can see it in film, all game long.

Now, if he's dumb as rocks... run away...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rotoworld:

IMO, leave Lattimore alone. sounds good to have extra picks and a good enough team to wait him out, but fact is this is serious injury. too easy to assume he'll pick right back up come 2014?

there will be other RB's to fall in love with, we do it every year. plus, i like Hunter and LMJ, even with Hunter as the primary back.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Texas A&M DE Damontre Moore's poor Combine "validated whispers" among NFL scouts who were all along unimpressed by his athleticism.
Moore's stock is in a bit of a free fall after he managed a slow 4.95 forty-yard dash at 250 pounds, and hoisted just 12 reps on the bench. Moore ranked 22nd-of-37 defensive linemen in the forty, outrunning only DLs who weigh at least 30 pounds more than him. Once viewed as a possible top-five selection, Moore is really more of a late first-round and possible second-round pick. Feb 27 - 4:30 PM

I always knew that Werner was a better prospect than he was. He clearly shows on tape IMO.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always knew that Werner was a better prospect than he was. He clearly shows on tape IMO.

LOL

il_fullxfull.252511743.jpg

:suds: