• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree there. I think after Wilson and Smith it's really, really dry for QBs. There are a couple of guys I like, but it's not very deep at all. But again I might be in the minority on that one.

Tyler Bray, Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, Tyler Wilson, Aaron Murray, Landry Jones, and Mike Glennon. If all of them declare i consider that to be a fairly deep QB class. Of course I can understand that you may not agree with me on all of them.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Carolina St. CB David Amerson has also declared.

EXPECTED TO ENTER/ENTERING THE DRAFT:
QB Tyler Bray, Tennessee

RB Cierre Wood, Notre Dame

WR Stedman Bailey, WVU
WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee
WR Da'Rick Rogers, Tennessee Tech
WR Marquess Wilson, Washington St.

DE Brandon Jenkins, Florida St.

CB David Amerson, North Carolina St.
CB Tyrann Mathieu, LSU

RETURNING TO SCHOOL:
QB Logan Thomas, Virginia

WR Devin Street, Pittsburgh

DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You really think KC should take Te'O first over all? I think he's a great player and all, but there is no way in hell he's worth the first over all pick. Taking Te'O and hoping you can jump back into the first round to grab Wilson or Barkley is taking a huge risk. They would be better or drafting Barkley or Wilson with the first pick IMO.

It's not the first time I had this idea in my head. We were in the same predicament in 2005. I was saying Derrick Johnson as our first overall pick; and then trade back up for either Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith. At that time most folks were arguing that neither Smith or Rodgers would have been available in mid first round pick and that that plan was asinine because we can't guarantee that another team would be willing to trade with us (how much would we be willing to give up to move back up that high in the 1st round). My rebuttal then was, phuck it...without a trading partner, let's ride it out with Tim Rattay. Depending on how Rattay plays, we could then lure Drew Brees to come to us. If Brees was not willing to come to us, then we would be picking high enough in 2006 to land a franchise QB (Eli, Ben, Rivers). I agree with you he is not worth the #1 overall pick. He's not even my #1 ranked player. However, you have to asses the Chiefts entire depth chart and really analyze the situation. Star, Barkley, Te'O, Hankins, Jones, Mingo, Smith, Joeckel, Warmack...which of these players if added to their current roster would make them reach the playoffs the fastest?! You need to also consider how deep each position is (DT, QB, OLB, etc) in the draft in addition to keeping in mind that if not drafted # 1 overall, what is the likelihood that person would be available in the 15-20 range. Do you really think Te'O will last to pick 15? What are the chances that he does? How about Barkley, Smith, and Wilson? What are the chances that they last till pick 15? Your job as a GM is to take all that into consideration. Which is why I would go with Te'O despite the fact that I don't even believe he is my #5 ranked player in this entire draft.

People would tell you how much of a Willis advocate I was back when he was a prospect. My counterparts made some legitimate arguments saying, why don't we draft Adam Carriker instead in the first and still get David Harris in the 2nd round? Carriker sounds ugly when you look at it in retrospect, but consider it being Darrelle Revis for instance. Would it have been a bad idea if we drafted Revis in the first (he clearly was not a better prospect than Willis when they entered the draft) while still getting a probowl caliber ILB in Harris in the 2nd round?! Me being stubborn and being such a Willis homer I still say no. But those who argued that a combination of Revis and Harris would have been a better have some legitimate argument there.

All I'm saying is that they need to think outside the box and not jump the gun by selecting a QB first overall without trying to maximize your picks by manipulating the draft. They need to either trade down a couple spots and get Te'O to team up with Derrick Johnson, while still being able to get their "franchise QB"; or simply stay put draft Te'O and trade back up to grad that "QB" that they covet.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
340 total combined yards at the end of the 1st quarter in the Nebraska/Wisconsin game.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kenny Bell with one of the best blocks I've ever seen in my entire life and the refs throw a flag. Nullified a Nebraska TD. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! I hate that call with a passion. HATE IT! Yeah, it was close, but c'mon.

I think the only one I've ever seen in college that was better was Gary Guyton of Georgia Tech.

Gary Guyton has an amazing hit vs. Virginia Tech - YouTube

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the first time I had this idea in my head. We were in the same predicament in 2005. I was saying Derrick Johnson as our first overall pick; and then trade back up for either Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith. At that time most folks were arguing that neither Smith or Rodgers would have been available in mid first round pick and that that plan was asinine because we can't guarantee that another team would be willing to trade with us (how much would we be willing to give up to move back up that high in the 1st round). My rebuttal then was, phuck it...without a trading partner, let's ride it out with Tim Rattay. Depending on how Rattay plays, we could then lure Drew Brees to come to us. If Brees was not willing to come to us, then we would be picking high enough in 2006 to land a franchise QB (Eli, Ben, Rivers). I agree with you he is not worth the #1 overall pick. He's not even my #1 ranked player. However, you have to asses the Chiefts entire depth chart and really analyze the situation. Star, Barkley, Te'O, Hankins, Jones, Mingo, Smith, Joeckel, Warmack...which of these players if added to their current roster would make them reach the playoffs the fastest?! You need to also consider how deep each position is (DT, QB, OLB, etc) in the draft in addition to keeping in mind that if not drafted # 1 overall, what is the likelihood that person would be available in the 15-20 range. Do you really think Te'O will last to pick 15? What are the chances that he does? How about Barkley, Smith, and Wilson? What are the chances that they last till pick 15? Your job as a GM is to take all that into consideration. Which is why I would go with Te'O despite the fact that I don't even believe he is my #5 ranked player in this entire draft.

People would tell you how much of a Willis advocate I was back when he was a prospect. My counterparts made some legitimate arguments saying, why don't we draft Adam Carriker instead in the first and still get David Harris in the 2nd round? Carriker sounds ugly when you look at it in retrospect, but consider it being Darrelle Revis for instance. Would it have been a bad idea if we drafted Revis in the first (he clearly was not a better prospect than Willis when they entered the draft) while still getting a probowl caliber ILB in Harris in the 2nd round?! Me being stubborn and being such a Willis homer I still say no. But those who argued that a combination of Revis and Harris would have been a better have some legitimate argument there.

All I'm saying is that they need to think outside the box and not jump the gun by selecting a QB first overall without trying to maximize your picks by manipulating the draft. They need to either trade down a couple spots and get Te'O to team up with Derrick Johnson, while still being able to get their "franchise QB"; or simply stay put draft Te'O and trade back up to grad that "QB" that they covet.

There is no Aaron Rodgers in this draft class. That just happened to work out for the Packers. I get what you are saying, but taking a MLB first over all is just stupid. It has nothing to do with Te'O, because i think he will be an outstanding ILB. It has to do with the fact that if you are drafting first over all you clearly have bigger needs then ILB.

Even though they may not get a Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, or Eli Manning, that doesn't mean they can't find a quality franchise QB. If they don't like any of the QB's, then there are other holes they can fill. What they really should try to do is trade back. I just don't see that happening right now.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SportsCenter's twitter:

Sources: BCS Bowls - Sugar: Florida vs Louisville; Fiesta: Kansas State vs Oregon; Rose: Stanford vs Wisconsin (via

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SportsCenter's twitter:

Sources: BCS Bowls - Sugar: Florida vs Louisville; Fiesta: Kansas State vs Oregon; Rose: Stanford vs Wisconsin (via

I was hoping Stanford would get Kansas St. or Flroida. Kansas St. vs Oregon should be good, though. Thanks for sharing.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford plays in the Rose Bowl because they are PAC 12 Champs.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Oregon did because of their victory against Stanford. Stanford played in the Rose Bowl in 2000 and lost to Wisconsin. Been a long drought.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Buzz
Originally Published: November 30, 2012

Mathieu faces significant obstacles
By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

Much has been made of former LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu's announcing that he will enter the NFL draft, and a great deal of that talk has been about his off-field issues.

Mathieu was kicked off the team at LSU in August for failing drug tests, but he took positive steps after that. He entered a treatment facility, re-enrolled in classes at LSU and set his sights on getting back on the team.

It has been downhill form there, though, with questions about his eligibility being raised (due to his likeness being used to advertise a party) and a recent marijuana-related arrest.

Before diving deeper into that part of his story, though, let's take a look at Mathieu's on-field scouting report.

Tyrann Mathieu showed playmaking ability despite a lack of height.

The best part of his game is his natural playmaking ability. Mathieu is comfortable in space, reads the quarterback's eyes effectively and understands angles and leverage in coverage.

Mathieu will occasionally turn to locate the ball too quickly when his back is turned to the quarterback, but he otherwise displays good body control, hands and confidence when playing the ball. He also plays tough and plays bigger than his size in run support.

However, he's still only 5 feet 9 and 176 pounds. Mathieu is quicker than fast, not nearly as comfortable in man coverage as he is freelancing in zone, and his technique is sloppy. That adds up to a player who is vulnerable when isolated in one-on-one coverage.

After studying five of Mathieu's 2011 tapes during the preseason evaluation process, I gave him a second-round grade. The off-field issues since the date of that report (June 2012) will certainly cause him to slip, but how far?

The case of former Florida and North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins offers a similar template for what Mathieu will go through leading to the 2013 draft.

Jenkins -- who was dismissed by the Gators after multiple drug-related issues, then landed at North Alabama for his senior season -- carried a top-10 grade from Scouts Inc. into the 2012 draft based purely on his ability between the lines. I feel confident saying Jenkins would have been selected in the first half of the first round had his evaluation been clean.

However, he slid nearly a full round thanks to his checkered past, finally being selected No. 39 overall by the St. Louis Rams.

Teams are clearly more forgiving of elite prospects than second-tier players. The risk-reward assessment is in favor of a player like Jenkins, whose ceiling is much higher based on his skill set.

There is also a feeling among NFL talent evaluators that the risk is greater in Mathieu's case. That's due in part to his tumultuous upbringing, but also his failure to respond to the wake-up calls he received.

Jenkins cleaned up his act after leaving Florida, dominating on the field and handling his business off it while paying his dues at the FCS level, and that helped his cause.

I spoke to contacts from three different NFL personnel departments, and all shared similar thoughts on Mathieu's strengths and weaknesses on the field. And coming out of those conversations, it's clear the prevailing concerns are "dependency" and "trustworthiness."

As for their assessment of his draft stock, one told me that the third round is a possibility; the other two targeted Day 3 as Mathieu's likely landing spot.

The "Honey Badger" earned a spot among the 2011 Heisman Trophy finalists thanks to his knack for making big plays, but none of those plays are big enough to overshadow his on-field shortcomings and off-field issues.

Early-entry chatter picking up
Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

Chasing gossip about non-seniors who will enter the NFL draft is more or less a waste of time. In many cases there is just too much conflicting information, and the official declaration date (usually Jan. 15) isn't that far off anyway.

The buzz is sometimes unavoidable, however, when talking to contacts around the NFL and in the college game. That being the case, here are a few players about whom the NFL rumblings are loudest and when they might come off the board.

We expect plenty of non-seniors to make the leap, but the prospects listed below are the names that have come up most in recent conversations.

Georgia OLB Alec Ogletree (First round)
Michigan OT Taylor Lewan (First round)
Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (First round)
Illinois DT Akeem Spence (Second round)
Clemson QB Tajh Boyd (Day 2)
Rutgers RB Jawan Jamison (Day 2)
Former Washington State WR Marquess Wilson (Day 2)
Tennessee Tech WR Da'Rick Rogers (Day 2)
Florida OLB Jelani Jenkins (Day 2)
Rutgers CB Logan Ryan (Day 2)
West Virginia WR Stedman Bailey (Third/fourth round)

Senior Bowl rosters taking shape
Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

A great many players will be accepting invitations to the annual Senior Bowl in the coming weeks. In the end, upwards of 100 NFL prospects will take part in the all-star game in Mobile, Ala.

Here are a few of the notable players who have accepted invitations to show their wares in front of a large gathering of NFL talent evaluators:

Florida State QB EJ Manuel
Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson
Arkansas WR Cobi Hamilton
Oregon State WR Markus Wheaton
Marshall WR Aaron Dobson
Virginia OT Oday Aboushi
Missouri OLB Zaviar Gooden
Washington CB Desmond Trufant

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Jose State QB David Fales is finally getting the hype he deserves. Per RW:

San Jose] State will play Bowling Green in the Military Bowl on December 27.
The Spartans have one of the nation's best junior quarterbacks in David Fales, and if he does not declare for the 2013 Draft, expect him to be a popular name prior to next season. He'll be throwing to Senior Bowl tight end invite Ryan Otten. Bowling Green has an undersized but productive interior defensive lineman in Chris Jones.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Elite prospects shine on scouting trips
December, 3, 2012 3:32PM ET
By Kevin Weidl

The 2012 season was the fourth in a row during which I spent most weeks on the road getting live looks at some of the top NFL prospects in the country.

I saw 17 games featuring 22 schools, and because I'm based in Charlotte, the schedule was heavy on ACC and SEC schools within driving distance. No problem, though, because anyone who follows the draft knows just how many quality prospects come out of those two conferences.

Seeing how players react to live game action in real time is helpful, and it's just as helpful to get on the field during warm-ups and apply the eyeball test to players.

Seeing how prospects look on the hoof in terms of body type, judging their demeanor and observing how they interact with teammates are all important parts of their evaluations.

So as the regular season wraps up, here's a look at the games I attended and what stood out during my college road trips this fall. This includes the best prospects I saw in person, those who fell short of expectations, the best individual performances and a handful of 2014 prospects to keep an eye on.

Top five prospects

Alabama OG Chance Warmack (Grade: 96)
A home run and easy evaluation. Warmack possesses the size (6-foot-2\, 325 pounds), power and athleticism to develop into an All-Pro-caliber guard at the next level. A road grader in the run game, he is light on his feet with an elite anchor to keep rushers at bay in pass protection. If you take position value out of the equation, he is arguably the top prospect in this year's draft.

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones (Grade: 96)
Explosive, versatile and instinctive. Jones (6-2, 242) may not have an elite frame, but he makes up for it with quickness, explosive hands and ability to bend the edge as a pass-rusher. His motor never stops running, he has natural playmaking instincts when given the opportunity to cash in, and he has the versatility to play in multiple spots along the front seven

Florida State DE Bjoern Werner (Grade: 94)
A versatile, instinctive and high-motor edge defender, Werner (6-4, 255) has an explosive initial step and shows natural ability to bend and flatten once he gains the edge as a pass-rusher. He is consistent as a run-defender and plays with good leverage, has excellent hands and does a nice job of finding the ball with his eyes.

North Carolina DT Sylvester Williams (Grade: 94)
When healthy, Williams has the size (6-2, 320), quickness and violent hands to be a disruptive force on the inside. He plays with leverage, and his lateral agility provides him with good range as a run-defender. Williams also can dial it up as an interior pass-rusher with an explosive first step and quick hands. He notched six sacks on the year despite battling a left ankle injury throughout the majority of the season.

Georgia ILB Alec Ogletree (Grade: 92)
Ogletree has one of the highest ceilings of any prospect in this class thanks to his raw athleticism, and he has the long frame (6-3, 237) to give him room to add bulk. He has excellent range both as a run-defender and dropping into coverage, along with big-time playmaking ability. Ogletree has the physical tools to become a better pro than Jones, but he does come with concerns in terms of instincts, tackling and point-of-attack skills.

Other notables: West Virginia QB Geno Smith; Missouri DT Sheldon Richardson; Florida State DE Cornellius Carradine, Alabama CB Dee Milliner, North Carolina OG Jonathan Cooper; Tennessee OG/OT Dallas Thomas; Georgia DT Johnathan Jenkins; West Virginia WR Tavon Austin; Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson; Rutgers OLB Khaseem Greene; Georgia S Shawn Williams; Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson; Tennessee WR Justin Hunter; Alabama LB C.J. Mosley; Auburn DE Corey Lemonier

Top three disappointments

NC State CB David Amerson (Grade: 84)
There is a lot to like about Amerson's size (6-2, 193), ball skills and toughness in run support, but his monotone movement skills and lack of burst and top-end speed out of breaks are glaring. It appears he will be best suited to play in a Cover 2-heavy scheme or move to safety at the next level.

Virginia Tech QB Logan Thomas (No grade)
A lack of consistency in terms of footwork, mechanics and particularly accuracy were evident all three times I saw Thomas in person. He didn't get much help from his supporting cast, but Thomas had been taken off the Scouts Inc. board and would still be wise to hone his skills for another year in Blacksburg.

He has an elite combination of size (6-6, 260), athleticism and arm strength that is very enticing, and given that he's in just his third season playing quarterback I'm not ready to close the book on Thomas just yet.

South Carolina DE Devin Taylor (Grade: 50)
At 6-6 and 265 pounds, Taylor is impressive on the hoof. However, he is a pedestrian athlete who fails to play with consistent pad level and lacks aggression on the field.

Top individual performances

Tavon Austin's complete showing against Oklahoma is creating first-round buzz.

West Virginia WR Tavon Austin
(Grade: 87) vs. Oklahoma

Austin piling up 572 total yards against the Sooners was the most impressive, most complete single-game performance I have ever seen in person. His versatility was on display with 344 yards rushing (2 touchdowns), 82 yards receiving and 146 return yards. There are rumblings in scouting circles that Austin (5-8\, 173) could sneak into the late first round with his speed, agility and open-field prowess, and if he does, look no further than this game tape for the signature moment that put him over the top.

North Carolina RB Giovani Bernard
(Grade: 82) vs. Virginia Tech

Bernard gained 291 total yards (262 rushing, 2 TDs) in a big win over the Hokies. His natural instincts as a runner were particularly impressive, and Bernard (5-10, 205) also flashed very good balance and lateral agility throughout the day.

Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson
(No grade) vs. NC State

The juco transfer had his coming-out party against the Wolfpack. Patterson (6-3, 205) caught a 41-yard touchdown pass in the first half and ripped of a 67-yard touchdown on a reverse that showed his ability to cut against the grain and impressive second gear. Patterson, who doesn't yet have a full draft evaluation, quietly broke the Tennessee record for all-purpose yards in a single season (1,858) and outplayed his teammate Hunter over the course of the season.

Three under-the-radar prospects

Georgia CB/S Sanders Commings (Grade: 57)
Commings plays in the shadow of other big names in Athens, but he is very much underrated. He possesses excellent size (6-0\, 218) and balance, and flashes playmaking instincts in coverage. Throw in the versatility to line up at both safety and cornerback and Commings has a chance to bring great value in the midround range.

Tennessee ILB Herman Lathers (Grade: 56)
Lathers showed up all four times I saw the Vols play. The qualities that stood out the most were quick diagnostic skills, quality angles in pursuit and excellent leverage as a tackler. Lathers (5-11^, 225) has a chance to be a Day 3 sleeper who could contribute immediately on special teams and potentially develop into a starter down the road.

Virginia Tech WR Corey Fuller (Grade: 60)
Fuller was the most consistent receiver for the Hokies this fall. He has a nice combination of size (6-2, 187) and ball skills, and flashes the savvy and toughness to work the middle of the field from the slot. Fuller appears to be an early-to-mid Day 3 selection who could potentially develop into a third or fourth receiver in the NFL.

The Steady-Eddie Team (guys who show up every week)

Virginia OT Oday Aboushi (Grade: 84)
Aboushi is the poster boy for this category. There is nothing flashy about his frame (6-5[, 315) or athleticism, but he takes quality angles, plays with leverage and has the aggressive mentality to consistently get the job done. Aboushi has the tools and mental makeup to be a starting right tackle or guard for long time at the next level.

Rutgers OLB Khaseem Greene (Grade: 75)
This inclusion reflects Greene's production week in and week out. His instincts, range and closing burst allow him to be around the ball more often than not. Greene (6-0½, 239) is also an underrated pass-rusher, and he brings passion and physical presence that are second-to-none on the field.

Virginia Tech DE/OLB James Gayle (Grade: 67)
Gayle's demeanor during warm-ups and his ability to transition that focus to the field are evident. He consistently sets the edge as a run-defender and flashes quick hands and ability to bend the edge as a pass-rusher. At 6-3 and 256 pounds, he has the frame and athleticism to become a great fit as a 3-4 OLB at the next level.

2014 Prospect Watch
Here are a handful of prospects who will be eligible for the 2014 draft and have already started catching the eye of NFL scouts.

South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney
Tennessee OT Antonio Richardson
Clemson WR Sammy Watkins
Florida State DT Timmy Jernigan
Florida State WR Rashad Greene
Rutgers WR Brandon Coleman
Georgia WR Malcolm Mitchell

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good. He's out at Fox Sports. I really like him as a person, but he was not good there and I saw nothing to suggest that he was ever going to get to an acceptable level on the air?

Jerry Emig:

Great news: Eddie George is returning to Ohio State to work as an assistant vice president for business advancement.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Can the Chiefs find an answer at QB?
November, 29, 2012 4:56PM ET
By Steve Muench

The 1-10 Kansas City Chiefs would have the No. 1 overall pick if the season ended today, and the Chiefs' struggles are nothing new.

Kansas City finished dead last in the AFC West in every season since 2007 except 2010, when it won the division but lost to Baltimore on the wild-card round. There is much work for the Chiefs to do, and a strong 2013 draft class would be a good start to righting the ship and becoming competitive.

Moving parts such as potential coaching changes and possible free-agency departures of wide receiver Dwayne Bowe and offensive tackle Branden Albert come into play when assessing the Chiefs' needs, but it's never too early for a look at what could happen with the top overall pick.

Here's how things could shake down:

Quarterback
There's no question quarterback is Kansas City's most pressing need. Matt Cassel has struggled for the most part, backup Brady Quinn hasn't played well enough to earn consideration for the starting job next season, and 2011 fifth-round pick Ricky Stanzi has yet to attempt a regular-season pass.

Geno Smith isn't a truly elite prospect, but the Chiefs might have to reach for him.

The question is when the Chiefs will address this need, because the 2013 quarterback class doesn't offer No. 1 overall value. West Virginia's Geno Smith (Grade: 94) is the top quarterback on our board, but he's not an elite prospect and would have been the fourth quarterback taken -- behind Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Ryan Tannehill -- in the 2012 draft.

If the Chiefs decide to go in another direction, taking Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei (Grade: 96) is a possibility. They have greater needs, but the run defense could use a boost and would get good value. Lotuleiei can line up anywhere along the defensive front, and his greatest strength is stopping the run. Two other options are Notre Dame inside linebacker Manti Te'o (Grade: 96) and Texas A&M OT Luke Joeckel (Grade: 96), assuming Albert doesn't return.

All three of the players above would be a better pick than Smith from a value standpoint, and value almost always should trump need. Quarterbacks are often an exception to that rule, though.

Smith isn't as polished as Luck and doesn't have as much upside as RG3, but he has the toughness, smarts and skill set to develop into a franchise quarterback. Besides, it's not as if teams have had a lot of success finding championship quarterbacks after the first round.

Quarterbacks taken in Round 1 have won six of the past seven Super Bowls, and the seventh member of that group, Drew Brees, was taken with the first pick of the second round.

Cornerback
Kansas City released Stanford Routt earlier this month and inserted 2010 second-round pick Javier Arenas opposite Brandon Flowers, but Arenas (5-foot-9, 197 pounds) doesn't have the size or top-end speed to hold up on the outside. He is best playing a nickel role and contributing on special teams.

Flowers is a solid starter but is the same size as Arenas, so it's important that the Chiefs improve their ability to match up with bigger receivers.

Mississippi State's Johnthan Banks (Grade: 89) and North Carolina State's David Amerson (Grade: 84) both have the length and strength to hold up working against bigger receivers. They also have the ball skills to develop into playmakers. Banks could be there at the top of the second and Amerson, who has struggled at times this year, could slip to the third.

Speaking of playmakers, some may want to see the team draft former LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu (Grade: 65) based on his penchant for generating turnovers and the Chiefs' inability to do so this season. It doesn't make sense, though. Mathieu (5-9, 167) is also undersized, has just average cover skills, and the team already has an effective return man in Arenas.

Inside linebacker
Derrick Johnson shows no signs of slowing down despite recently turning 30, but Kansas City needs to upgrade the starting slot opposite him. Johnson is at his best slipping blocks and making plays with his range, so adding an inside linebacker who can stack and shed blockers to complement him makes the most sense.

Value will play a role here, too, and assuming Te'o isn't their first-round pick, the value for this kind of player isn't there until at least late in Day 2 or early Day 3. Stanford's Shayne Skov (Grade: 71) and Alabama's Nico Johnson (Grade: 71) are both good fits, and one of them could slip into the fourth round.

Defensive line
If Kansas City doesn't take a defensive lineman early on, it should be in the market on Day 3, considering its depth issues and problems against the run. At 6-4, 322 pounds, Tennessee's Montori Hughes (Grade : 60) would give the Chiefs another big body up front, and Hughes can line up at defensive tackle in a four-man front or end in a three-man front.

Wide receiver
It may surprise some to see a receiver show up so late on this list, but the Kansas City receiving corps has a lot of potential, and consistency at quarterback could unlock it. Bowe is the unknown as he approaches free agency, and the Chiefs should target a receiver on the first two days of the draft if he goes.

If Bowe returns, expect Kansas City to wait until Day 3 to take a receiver, where Texas A&M's Ryan Swope (Grade: 49) is one of my favorite sleepers. Swope doesn't have great upside, but possesses the hands and toughness to push for early playing time as a sub-package receiver.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are y'alls thoughts on Jarvis Jones? If he falls all the way to wherever the 49ers end up picking (due to his injury past and some other flaws some analysts see) would you want him or is he too much of a risk?