• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
14 Bjoern Werner *
POS: DE Tkl 27 Sack 8.0 Int 0

This is a guy who reads the game really well, which isn't that easy to do when you play so fast. Strong but athletic, he has great ball awareness as he rushes, and knocks down balls at a high rate. Another pass-rusher with a late arrival to the sport, has a high ceiling.
LAST WEEK: 14 | PLAYER CARD

15 John Jenkins
POS: DT Tkl 27 Sack 0 Int 0

Played well against the Gators, and opens rush lanes. Jenkins just eats blocks and can occasionally push the pocket, too. He moves pretty well, so he's not locked into that role. Guys such as these have serious value.
LAST WEEK: 15 | PLAYER CARD

16 Sheldon Richardson *
POS: DT Tkl 57 Sack 4.0 Int 0

You could draft Richardson and put him in any system. He's quick, but uses his hands and battles, rather than just swimming and running around blocks; he's a penetrator who plays physical, and piles up tackles. Locates both the ball and the passer well.
LAST WEEK: 16 | PLAYER CARD

17 Sylvester Williams
POS: DT Tkl 29 Sack 5.0 Int 0

Williams often looks like he knows the snap count; the burst is significant. He has a lot of natural gifts, but was out of the game for a period. Really quick at this size, he has good feet, a strong punch to get defenders off-balance, and has great energy. Will chase down plays.
LAST WEEK: 18 | PLAYER CARD

18 Eric Fisher
POS: OT GP 8 GS 8

Extremely long, and uses his length really well. When he gets in a wide base, it can take a while to get around him. Looked great when CMU faced top comeptition, and really isn't a newcomer for scouts, as he's been very good for a while for the Chips.
LAST WEEK: NR | PLAYER CARD

19 Keenan Allen *
POS: WR Rec 61 Yds 737 Avg 12.1 TD 6

More attention hasn't mattered, because he's just been impossible to keep covered. Allen is a master at creating space, no surprise from a former safety. Strong hands; catches the ball with ease away from his body. Sets up defenders, sees the field well, settles in against zones. Run-after-catch skills.
LAST WEEK: 17 | PLAYER CARD

20 Sharrif Floyd *
POS: DT Tkl 30 Sack 0 Int 0

I thought he was really good against Georgia. You just want more consistency. A star coming out of high school, Floyd is starting to realize his potential. Quickness is menacing on the interior and he has a great burst, drawing double-teams. Could penetrate more.

21 Jake Matthews *
POS: OT GP 8 GS 8

Overshadowed by Joeckel, Matthews is a star in his own right and could play either tackle position for any team in the country. Technically sound, he moves well and can get to the edge and second-level defenders. Plenty of power, but not an anchor.

22 Terrance Williams
POS: WR Rec 60 Yds 1,203 Avg 20.1 TD 9

Really smooth as a route-runner, without wasted motion in and out of his breaks. Hugely productive, and can beat DBs over the top or run by them when he gets the ball underneath in space. Could be even better than Kendall Wright (or Josh Gordon).

23 Jonathan Cooper
POS: G GP 9 GS 9

Season has been a success, given offseason shoulder surgery may have affected him early. Now showing no ill effects. Not an earth-mover, but powerful and quick for his size. Moves extremely well and can beat defenders to spots, move them to a side and get downfield.
LAST WEEK: 24 | PLAYER CARD

24 Tank Carradine
POS: DE Tkl 53 Sack 8.0 Int 0

A former juco star, Carradine is reaching his potential in 2012. Showing an array of passing skills, he uses leverage, but can move his feet and dip on the edge. A stout run-defender as well, he's showing maturity and recognition. Quick first step.
LAST WEEK: 25 | PLAYER CARD

25 Justin Hunter *
POS: WR Rec 47 Yds 657 Avg 14.0 TD 4

The season will be considered a success because he's stayed healthy, but would like to see him become better technically. Blazing speed, but uses decent technique and gets in and out of breaks. Great hands, and a major threat down the field.
LAST WEEK: 20 | PLAYER CARD

Kiper Jr.
Football analyst

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore 4th on Kiper's BB? Wow. I can officially cross him off my wishlist.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore 4th on Kiper's BB? Wow. I can officially cross him off my wishlist.

You could have done that a long time ago. :)

Any chance Banks makes it to us? Isn't really a need but you can never have enough CBs.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banks and Patterson are on my list for round 1 at this point.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any chance Banks makes it to us? Isn't really a need but you can never have enough CBs.

Yeah, I was holding out hope. :(

I'll gladly take Tyler Wilson or Jordan Poyer, though. :wink:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We desperately need corners. If Brown goes down, our season is over. In the NFC championship game last year...we might have won it had he been in the game despite Kyle's crucial errors late in the game. I'd draft him and Amerson (both) if possible. Perrish Cox may still need this season to get back to his old form - not counting on him to produce at a high level this season.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We desperately need corners. If Brown goes down, our season is over. In the NFC championship game last year...we might have won it had he been in the game despite Kyle's crucial errors late in the game. I'd draft him and Amerson (both) if possible. Perrish Cox may still need this season to get back to his old form - not counting on him to produce at a high level this season.

Tell goldson to stop running into our secondary for picks! lol

no but seriously.... :lm: for KW

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damontre Moore planning on returning

Texas A&M junior DE Damontre Moore stated that he plans on returning for the 2013 season rather than declaring for the NFL.

"I’ll look at it, but I plan on coming back," Moore said. "I want to get my degree, and I love being down here. I’m really in no rush to grow up." Moore is an absolute stud on the edge, using a combination of length, hand strength, and long strides to consistently generate pressure. It is a long process, and we wouldn't be surprised if Moore changes his mind.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once he finds out he is a top 15 lock he will change his mind.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Trio could offer later-round WR value
November, 1, 2012 11:44PM ET
By Steve Muench

It's clear that NFL teams find most of their game-breakers at wide receiver early in the NFL draft. A quick glance at this season's top 10 receivers in terms of total yards shows that seven of those players were taken in the first two rounds.

There are later-round success stories out there, though, and a trio of 2013 prospects appears poised to follow in their footsteps.

The players listed could all make an impact at the next level, though neither is an exact clone of the current NFL player he is compared to. They do, however, share some key skills and can contribute in similar ways.

Da'Rick Rogers put up big numbers at Tennessee before being kicked off the team.

Da'Rick Rogers*, Tennessee Tech (Grade: 69)
Rogers is one of the players who will use the pre-draft interview process to ease concerns about his character. He was dismissed by Tennessee for reportedly violating the school's substance abuse policy several times, and his overall maturity and ability to remain focused if not closely monitored are questions. On the field, Rogers isn't much of a big-play threat after the catch, and he has just average top-end speed.

If he can overcome his issues, Rogers (6-foot-3, 215 pounds) has the potential to develop into an effective and productive No. 2 receiver. He isn't a burner but has enough top-end speed, body control and ball skills to make plays downfield.

His 40-yard touchdown catch against Eastern Kentucky earlier this year came against subpar completion, but it's still an excellent illustration of his strong hands and ability to adjust to the ball in the air. He is a tough player who can get open underneath and over the middle, and he runs hard after the catch. That's enough to get him into the early part of Day 3.
NFL comparison: Denver Broncos WR Eric Decker.

Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech (66)
Patton caught 21 passes for 233 yards and four touchdowns against Texas A&M a few weeks ago, and he stood out even when the ball wasn't thrown to him. For example, his double move on the Louisiana Tech's second offensive play is impressive. Patton (6-0, 202) sells an out route and gets CB Tramain Jacobs to bite, to the point that Jacobs is unable to recover and slips when Patton transitions to a go route. His quarterback just didn't get enough time to find him downfield.

While Patton is not an elite vertical threat, there's a lot to like about his release. He is fast enough to make some plays downfield. Patton even drew a couple of flags on vertical routes against the Aggies. He caught the ball well and showed good quickness and the ability to make defenders miss after the catch.

Still, that game did little to quiet two concerns about Patton. The first is his strength. He gets pushed around at times and doesn't pick up many yards after contact. The second is the way scheme inflates his stats. The way the Texas A&M game unfolded played right into that.

Patton catches a lot of screens and quick-hitting routes, and with the Aggies jumping out to an early lead and playing soft coverage, he had had plenty of room to catch balls underneath and make something happen after the catch.
NFL comparison: New York Jets WR Jeremy Kerley.

Ryan Swope, Texas A&M (53)
Swope caught six passes for 140 yards and a touchdown against Auburn last week, but those numbers are misleading in terms of Swope's big-play ability. He doesn't have the size or speed NFL teams covet in the vertical passing game, and he is not as much of a threat after the catch as Patton.

There's also room for improvement when it comes to his route-running. Swope (6-0, 205) could be crisper planting his foot in the ground and changing directions. Like a lot of slot receivers who work in high-traffic areas of the field, he has had problems staying healthy and sustained some head injuries NFL teams are sure to investigate further.

However, Swope lands on this list because he has the ball skills, toughness and burst to develop into a productive slot receiver with sharper and more consistent routes. He does a nice job of snatching the ball out of the air and can make plays working against tight coverage.

There's no hesitation working the middle, and Swope is a hard runner after the catch. He is quick enough to separate from most safeties and sub-package defensive backs when his footwork is sound.
NFL comparison: St. Louis Rams WR Danny Amendola.

Steve Muench
Scouts Inc

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Hey Pozz, I remember saying I wondered if Louis Nix were eligible for the draft, and you said no. I think you were mistaken. This profile says he's a redshirt sophmore.

Louis Nix III | Notre Dame, DT : 2015 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

If he's in the draft, he'd be near the top of my wish list. Dude might not have the upside of a Star Lotulelei, but he's close. And I think he's a better overall player at this point.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Who's the top running back prospect now?
October, 29, 2012 4:14PM ET
By Kevin Weidl

I was in South Carolina over the weekend to see the Gamecocks take on Tennessee, and the biggest story coming out of the game –from a scouting standpoint or otherwise – is the gruesome knee injury suffered by South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore (Grade: 88).

The severe hyperextension of Lattimore's right knee is one of the ugliest injuries I've ever seen, and it immediately sucked the energy from the entire stadium. Players from both teams poured onto the field to console Lattimore, who tore the ACL in his left knee last season and reportedly suffered a dislocation of the knee and accompanying ligament damage against the Volunteers.

Before going down Lattimore looked more explosive than he had all season, but his football future now appears to be in jeopardy. Whether he plays again or not, Lattimore's injury also weakens an already-thin running back class for the 2013 NFL draft.

Giovani Bernard will likely sit atop the running back board if he enters the 2013 draft.

Lattimore entered last week as the only back in the first-round mix, and his injury will almost certainly have him back at South Carolina for another season, whether that's 2013 or 2014. That means North Carolina redshirt sophomore Giovani Bernard (84) becomes the top-rated back on the board with a mid second-round grade.

I saw Bernard live a few weeks ago and his complete overall game is impressive. He runs low and hard, shows good lateral agility, contributes in the passing game and as a kick returner, and no back in the nation maximizes his carries like Bernard.

Rutgers redshirt sophomore Jawan Jamison is a similar back, and he and Bernard would boost the class if they enter the draft.

Jamison does not yet have a draft grade, though, and as it stands now productive but somewhat overrated backs Le'Veon Bell (Michigan State; 80) and Montee Ball (Wisconsin; 79) are next on the board behind Bernard, and they are joined on the Day 2 range by the likes of Andre Ellington (77), Knile Davis (76) and Ed Lacy (73).

I've always felt backs like Bernard and Jamison, who are NFL-ready early-round prospects, should come out if they are ready. Running backs have a short shelf life in the NFL, and adding unnecessary wear and tear to their bodies does not help their stock. And there is always the possibility of an injury like Lattimore's, one that could end not only early-round hopes but perhaps a career.

Four Vols stand out
As far as game action goes, Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (91) looked the best I've seen him this season. He appeared smoother and more comfortable, and did a nice job plucking a ball in traffic on a hook route in the first half. On the very next play, Hunter got a good outside release and found the sideline soft spot against Cover 2, then did a nice job high-pointing the ball and staying inbounds.

However, he continues to be inconsistent. Hunter had some drops against the Gamecocks, including a key third-down play when QB Tyler Bray made a great throw but Hunter was late getting his head around and dropped the ball. He continues to flash elite ability, but Hunter still hasn't had that one breakout performance that proves he is a first-round lock.

As for Bray, he also continues to be plagued by inconsistency. He showed off his big-time arm on a first-half touchdown pass to Zach Rogers, first looking off the safety then unleashing a bullet over the middle that cleared a defender and hit Rogers in stride.

However, lazy ball carriage in the pocket showed up again on a fourth-quarter fumble as the Volunteers attempted a comeback, and late-game struggles are becoming a trend. Bray has yet to prove he can elevate his game and will his team to victory, and that combined with his up-and-down play has dropped him off our board altogether.

Things were better on the defensive side of the ball, though, with Vols LB Herman Lathers (56) and DT Daniel McCullers having solid games.

McCullers is a massive prospect with the raw power to overwhelm blockers, and a first-quarter tackle for loss showed his ability to rock an offensive lineman back, then disengage and bring down the ball carrier.

He could play with more consistent pad level, but McCullers uses his hands well, is hard to move off the ball and is exactly what you want in a two-gap defensive tackle. There is still plenty of tape study to do on McCullers, but at this point I see first-round potential.

Meanwhile, Lathers continues to make plays and is quickly becoming one of my favorite Day 3 prospects. Lathers led the Vols with 15 total tackles, showing good instincts and diagnostic skills, pop at the point of attack and a great motor in pursuit. He also timed a blitz well and flashed good closing burst to get a sack.

Lathers is sometimes engulfed by bigger blockers in the phone booth and will run himself out of plays at times, but he knows how to get through trash and find the ball, and Lathers showed coverage ability on a fourth-quarter interception. He likely won't rise into the Day 2 range, but Lathers will find his way onto a roster and contribute at the next level.

Trio of solid Gamecocks
South Carolina SPUR Devonte Holloman (78) looked good in his hybrid safety/linebacker role. Holloman has the instincts and frame to thrive near the line of scrimmage, and he also holds up well in short-to-intermediate zone coverage. His versatility and physical tools could solidify a second-round grade for Holloman.

Gamecocks S D.J. Swearinger (61) also had a good game. Swearinger looked good breaking on balls down the middle in coverage, and while he does show some tightness he takes good angles and isn't afraid to be physical. I like him in the third-to-fourth round range.

Finally, TE Justice Cunningham caught six passes for 108 yards. He showed good hands and athleticism down the field, and Cunningham also finished plays well. We don't have a full evaluation on him, but I'll definitely be going back to the tape to see where he stands.

Thomas returning to Virginia Tech
Recent reports indicate junior QB Logan Thomas will return to Virginia Tech for his senior season, and that's absolutely the right call.

Thomas came into the season as our No. 2-rated quarterback prospect but has struggled to live up to expectations for a variety of reasons in 2012, including inconsistent mechanics and footwork that have resulted in timing issues and high throws. In fact, he's been so inconsistent that we've taken him completely off our board.

There's no denying his raw talent and impressive size, but Thomas is in only his third year as a quarterback and another season in college to hone his mechanics and overall game would certainly help his stock. If he turns the tide before this season ends and has a strong showing in 2013, Thomas could very well be among the top quarterbacks in the 2014 draft class.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo, thanks for posting Kipers and McShays rankings. Its kinda interesting seeing how far apart they are on some players.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL scouts eyeing Stony Brook running back Miguel Maysonet
Originally published: November 1, 2012 6:43 PM
Updated: November 1, 2012 7:30 PM

By GREG LOGAN

Photo credit: Kathleen Malone-Van Dyke | Stony Brook's Miguel Maysonet runs the ball against Charleston Southern in the football game at LaValle Stadium. (Oct. 6, 2012)

Galleries
Top moments in Long Island college athletics Miguel Maysonet

Web links
Stony Brook recruits from Long Island
The arc of Miguel Maysonet's football career right now is like a rocket in the moments after liftoff, gathering speed and heading off for the stratosphere. Stony Brook's star senior running back has the Walter Payton Award as the outstanding player in the Football Championship Subdivision in his sights, and scouts from 28 of 32 NFL teams have visited.

But if there's one thing Maysonet has learned approaching his final regular-season home game for the Seawolves (8-1, 4-0 Big South) against VMI (2-6, 1-3) at 6 p.m. Saturday at LaValle Stadium, it's a sense of perspective.

"All the hype you grow up having with your football, you have to learn to put that to the side because hype isn't everything," Maysonet said recently. "You can get sidetracked. I learned to focus on the task at hand, and that's getting my schoolwork done and doing what I needed to be a successful football player.

"It's hard when everything is coming at you in bunches, having all these [scouts] come and see you. You're like, 'Wow, it's real.' But I try to just focus on my team and having fun with the guys."

For all the style Maysonet has displayed on the field this season, rushing for 1,502 yards through nine games to rank second in FCS with a per-game average of 166.9 yards and 16 touchdowns, it's his substance that is the most endearing quality.

Four years ago, when he won Newsday's Hansen Award as the top football player in Suffolk County at Riverhead High, he said, "I came from nothing."

He detailed an existence in which he and his mother, Yolanda Santana, occupied an apartment over a garage that had no shower or bathtub, requiring him to heat the water in which he bathed. Since then, their living situation has improved significantly. Luis, one of his two brothers, returned to Long Island from Puerto Rico and has provided sufficient income to allow the family to find better quarters in Riverhead.

"We're excited to be living where we are now," Maysonet said.

Maysonet enjoys a strong relationship with his father, Jose, but his defining influence is the work ethic his mother displayed after the couple divorced during his preschool years. Santana worked as a maid at a local hotel before going to a job at a fast-food franchise.

"I just want to be able to give back to her because she put her all into helping me grow up to be the man I am today," Maysonet said. "She would get off from her hotel job and would have to go to work at Wendy's to make ends meet. You're working from morning until 10 p.m. or midnight at times just to support us.

"When I really noticed it was when I had to do my [financial aid forms] to get into college, and I saw she wasn't making that much money a year. I was thinking, if this football thing can work out for me and I'm able to prosper and succeed, then I can provide for her more than she's ever had in her life."

Maysonet appears likely to become Stony Brook's first NFL draft pick.

"Everybody's been in, and they like his whole package," Seawolves coach Chuck Priore said of pro scouts. "They love who he is. They love what everybody says about him. He's low-maintenance, good grades, and he plays the game. He's an NFL-type back. He doesn't run east-west."

If Stony Brook wins a fourth consecutive Big South title and goes to the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs for the second straight season, it will boost Maysonet's candidacy for the Payton Award. Priore noted that Maysonet's SBU career average of 7.0 yards per carry (8.4 this year) in a run-oriented offense is a good indication of how unstoppable he has been.

"I think he's as good as it comes at this level," Priore said.

Plenty of NFL personnel experts believe Maysonet can succeed at the highest level. In the estimation of one NFL scout who has seen Maysonet, he is likely to be drafted in the fourth or fifth round.

"Maysonet is a shorter back [5-10], but he does a lot of things," said the scout, who asked to remain anonymous. "He's instinctive, very smart, has amazing balance and he hasn't been hurt. He may not run a 4.3 in the open field, but his agility, his athleticism and his ability to change directions on a dime are special.

"At FCS schools, there's always a question of the level of competition. For Maysonet, it doesn't apply. The games he played against FBS schools were his best games."

In five career games against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents, Maysonet averaged 129 yards per game and 6.2 yards per carry with three touchdowns, including runs of 71 yards against Syracuse and 49 against Army this season. He totaled 378 yards rushing in those two games.

"He's almost the perfect prospect in regards to being a good athlete, good production, consistent production, good person, smart student and a leader," the NFL scout said. "It's hard to find all those characteristics in a lot of players."

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as Warmack is projecting to be, which would be more ideal for us? Boone or Warmack? If draft Warmack, we would literally have 4 first rd picks on the OL. lol...

that's crazy.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sick would be happy if Rang's projection became a reality:

2013 NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Hell yeah I'd be happy! I'd take Warmack in a second. He'd have to play C though.

I don't know why they both think the Niners would take a guard in the first round. The Niners are strong & young at OG, and they have Kilgore & Slowey developing.

For some reason, I keep seeing Justin Hunter being mocked around 20. If he's there at 12, someone made a huge mistake.

Unfortunately, people are catching on that Keenan Allen is amazing. :( He used to be the 3rd or 4th rated WR in the draft, now people think he's the #1. I don't think he's an AJ Green or anything, but he's one of those WRs you want on your team. He's quick, fluid, has great hands, positions his body well, etc. A good to great QB could turn him into a regular at the probowl easily.

Also looks like Okafor is catching on. Too bad. I saw a mock w/ him at 40a couple of weeks ago. That would've been a steal.

No Tyler Wilson???

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen has a horrible QB, I repeat horrible. Get this guy catching passes from an NFLer and you have something.