• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Some early favourite prospects (pound for pound; I'm kind of a Bear investor of draft prospects this year).

Seantrel Henderson. In the non-1st round (2nd? 3rd?). I don't see the Niners getting a starter in the draft unless they trade up, and the only realistic players I'd want from trading up would be Hankins, Hunter & K. Allen, so Henderson would be a good developmental prospect.

Brandon Jenkins. 3rd round? Low stock after the injury, could be the situational pass rusher the Niners need.

Lattimore or John Jenkins or Tyler Eifert in the first. Any of 'em would be a good value there.

Barrett Jones in the first. He's immediately be an upgrade at C IMO. If James Stone declares, I want him though. Stone's been very impressive whenever I've watched him. Khaled Holmes would be great in the 2nd too.

Xavier Rhodes. Make him a FS. He could replace Goldson.

Landry Jones. If he's there in the first, I don't see how you can pass on him. Don't know how high he'd go.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Sick - so, so much we disagree on. This is how it should be.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sick, I asked you once before if you were aware of Henderson's recent background lately and never got an answer? I asked because I've seen you mention him pretty high in the draft before and it sounded like something you might not be aware of. I'm not sure, though.

- Suspended for the start of spring practice for a major violation of team rules.

- Missed the beginning of fall camp following the death of a childhood friend in Minnesota.

- Involved in a car accident in early August and was cited for three "minor" traffic violations. He suffered a concussion in the accident.

- Struggled with his conditioning (a problem for him in the past as well) after all that took place and was not even a starter to begin the year.

This week he's now finally being called a co-starter for them after finally starting to get a chance to play a little bit.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sick, I asked you once before if you were aware of Henderson's recent background lately and never got an answer? I asked because I've seen you mention him pretty high in the draft before and it sounded like something you might not be aware of. I'm not sure, though.

- Suspended for the start of spring practice for a major violation of team rules.

- Missed the beginning of fall camp following the death of a childhood friend in Minnesota.

- Involved in a car accident in early August and was cited for three "minor" traffic violations. He suffered a concussion in the accident.

- Struggled with his conditioning (a problem for him in the past as well) after all that took place and was not even a starter to begin the year.

This week he's now finally being called a co-starter for them after finally starting to get a chance to play a little bit.

Hmmm... not ringing a bell. If I saw your question, I must've forgotten. Ok, maybe he's a late round prospect or UDFA with all that baggage.

By the way, I thought Brandon Jenkins has been overrated since last year, but his stock has probably dipped low enough to where he might be a good deal. Long time 'til the combine though.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hmmm... not ringing a bell. If I saw your question, I must've forgotten. Ok, maybe he's a late round prospect or UDFA with all that baggage.

It's fine. I remember asking you it a while after you had mentioned it so you probably had left already. It just sounded like you may have been unaware of all that.

Readily admit right now that I have yet to really focus on him so my opinion on him isn't real strong at this point but right now the 2nd-3rd projection is too high in my opinion. The strikes against him aren't incredibly damning but he's not off to the greatest of starts to the year. He's always been very talented, though, and many people drool over his potential.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my (very) fluid top-30 half way through the season. Obviously it's gonna a lot when it's all said and done but these are the guys I'm most high on in order - position notwithstanding:

1. Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
2. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
3. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas
4. Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon St.
5. Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
6. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
7. Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
8. Geno Smith, QB, WVU
9. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
10. Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall

11. Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
12. Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
13. Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
14. Tavon Austin, WR, WVU
15. Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio St.
16. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
17. Barrett Jones, C/OG, Alabama
18. Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh
19. Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
20. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

21. LaMarcus Joyner, S, Florida St.
22. Keenan Allen, WR, California
23. Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
24. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
25. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan St.
26. Michael Mauti, LB, Penn St.
27. Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida St.
28. Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
29. Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi St.
30. Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
2. Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU
3. Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
4. David Amerson, CB, N.C. State
5. Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida St.
6. Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
7. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
8. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
9. Geno Smith, QB, WVU
10. Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

11. Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
12. Keenan Allen, WR, California
13. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
14. Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio St.
15. Eric Reid, FS, LSU
16. Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi St.
17. Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB, Illinois
18. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
19. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan St.
20. Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

21. Robert Woods, WR, USC
22. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
23. John Simon, OLB, Ohio State
24. Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State
25. Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU
26. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas
27. Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin
28. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
29. Jonathan Jenkins, NT, Georgia
30. Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas

*Honorable Mention / Dudes who may crack this list next week:
Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State
Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
Barrett Jones, C/OG, Alabama
Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford
Damontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amerson...He was so thoroughly roasted by the Vols that I can never forget it.

Did Jarvis Jones play against the Vols? I never noticed him once.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Amerson...He was so thoroughly roasted by the Vols that I can never forget it.

Sh8 happens. Hunter and Patterson aren't your average college WRs. Both of them have the ceiling to become a legit # 1 NFL receivers. I wouldn't let one lousy game cloud your opinion of him. He has been absolutely amazaing since that game by the way!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amerson is horrible I would be schocked if he's not converted into a S in the NFL.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Yes he did. He had a quiet day. Antonio Richardson did a great jorb blocking him when they matched up.

Although I was a little disappointed in Bray's accuracy, the Vols did score a lot of points. Howeverl, a lot of it had to do with the fact that Georgoa scored so much that they just kept giving back the ball.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh Sick - so, so much we disagree on. This is how it should be.

Yes, like the good ol' 2009 days. :)

Just to qualify me feelings on this draft, I'm looking at it like a Bear investor this year. Trying to find talented players on a low note.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This stagnation has gone on long enough, time to start talking about the 2013 draft...

The top three priority positions for the Niners in the draft are CB, C, and S
- First time since I've been following the draft that I don't have QB in the top three. (But a bad showing against the Jets may sway my opinion)

I'll do a seven round projection after I find how many draft picks the 49ers have this year

Finally incompleted my mock! 49ers have 11 picks this year:flypig:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So here's why I mentioned Landry Jones as a possible pick I'd like for the Niners. I haven't really solidified my opinion on the QBs of this next year, but here's a list of QBs who will be picked too high for the Niners to get:

Barkley (me no likey)
Bray (doubt he declares anyway)
Geno Smith (need to see more; love arm, quick release; played a few cream puffs this year)
Wilson (not sure what to think of him yet)

Jones is having a bit of a disappointing season so far, and he'd possibly fit in my bear investor strategy this offseason. Doubt he lasts 'til the end of the first, but I'd pull the trigger if he did.

The other guy I might like is Aaron Murray, but I've yet to decide what I think of him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Finally incompleted my mock! 49ers have 11 picks this year:flypig: 1R: William Gholston 2R: Levine Toilolo 3R: Jeff Tuel 3R: NT 4R: Daniel Simmons 5R: C 5R: S 6R: Dayonne Nunley 6: WR/R 7R: Gary Gilliam 7R: G

I'm not sure we need a QB that high. If so, I would draft someone like Keith Price or Mike Glennon at that spot you're projecting. We need to address the NT position a bit sooner than that IMO. We have some options this year at the NT position. Guys like Star, and Hankins won't be available when it comes time to make our selection in the first round.

However, we may still get a shot from a guy like Jenkins (late first); or Daniel McCullers (2nd round pick). Both these guys would be great addition to our defensive unit and they won't be pressed to start in their first year. We can develop them accordingly by easing them slowly on the field with the other starters.

There are so many guys we should continue to keep an eye out for to play NT for us. We already know about Kwame Geathers, but the other kid who I think will be valuable based on where he is selected is Mister Cobble (cool name). In sum, I would be highly disappointed if we don't address the NT position in this year's draft.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog

Talented linemen could become steals
October, 2, 2012 11:55AM ET
By Steve Muench

Teams are always looking for later-round steals in the draft, players who fall down the board for various reasons but have the ability to contribute and turn into great values at the next level.

Here are four players -- two on each side of the ball -- from the 2013 class who currently project as Day 3 picks but could help teams in various ways.

Notre Dame DE Kapron Lewis-Moore (Scouts Inc. grade: 62)
Lewis-Moore is overshadowed by a talented supporting cast that includes fellow DE Stephon Tuitt and first-round ILB Manti Te'o, and he doesn't stand out in terms of athletic ability or burst to consistently get to the quarterback. However, don't mistake Lewis-Moore's inability to make splashy plays for an inability to develop into a valued contributor at the next level.

His greatest strengths are his ability to defend the run and his versatility. He has the upper-body strength to set the edge and press offensive tackles inside when he lines up at end in a three-man front. Lewis-Moore (6-foot-3⅝, 304) is also big enough to anchor against interior offensive linemen when he stays low and keeps his pads down.

Finally, his ability to line to up outside or inside makes him an attractive option for any team looking to bolster its run defense, perhaps early in the fourth round.

Impressive hands are one reason Quinton Patton ranks as a draft sleeper.

Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton (51)
Playing in the Western Athletic Conference doesn't afford prospects many opportunities to show their skills on a national stage, and playing in the WAC raises concerns about the level of competition they face on a weekly basis. To his credit, Patton has eased these concerns by turning in strong performances against Illinois two weeks ago, Virginia last week and Mississippi State last season.

In terms of natural ability, Patton (6-0⅛, 202) appears more fast than quick when running routes and with the ball in his hands, but he masks his average explosiveness. His footwork could be crisper at times, but Patton is a fluid route-runner who finds ways to get open and excels at finding pockets in zone looks. He also shows good open-field instincts after the catch and has enough top-end speed to make plays downfield.

The biggest reason he makes this list, though, is his hands. In the four games I watched -- two from this year and two from last -- Patton dropped just one catchable pass and made other grabs many other receivers wouldn't have. He could offer good value early on Day 3.

Ohio State OT Reid Fragel (41)Fragel moved from tight end to tackle this year, and he showed enough as a blocker last year to give him a late-round grade at tackle heading into the 2012 season. It can go either way when projecting a player at another position, and Fragel could have easily slipped out of the draft discussion, but instead he's shown impressive progress.

There is still ample room for improvement, especially when it comes to footwork. Fragel (6-7⅛, 289) still takes too many false steps as a run-blocker, and his tendency to over-set to the outside in pass protection makes him vulnerable to a strong move back to the inside.

His ability to recognize and pick up the blitz is another issue. His missed blitz pickup nearly led to an interception of QB Braxton Miller in the first quarter last week against Michigan State.

However, Fragel faced his toughest test to date against the Spartans, and he fared well. Outside of a couple of speed rushes that forced Miller to step up, Fragel got the best of talented but inconsistent DE William Gholston.

And Fragel is also faring much better than expected as a run-blocker. He generated above-average initial surge, even putting Gholston on his back late in the game and appeared to get under the skin of some of the Spartans by blocking all the way through the whistle. His inexperience could keep him from moving into the early part of Day 3, but Fragel does have a high enough ceiling to develop into a steal.

Connecticut OLB/DE Trevardo Williams (30)Williams turned it on at the end of last season and finished with 12.5 sacks, but we still didn't evaluate him fully. First, his frame (6-1⅜, 236) raises questions about where he fits best at the next level. Second, he simply flew under the radar for much of the 2012 season, and the fact that four of those 12.5 sacks came against Rutgers raises questions about consistency.

The questions about scheme fit remain, so don't expect him to shoot up our board. Williams doesn't have the frame to develop into an every-down end in the NFL. In fact, he doesn't have great size for a 3-4 outside linebacker prospect, either, and doesn't appear comfortable enough dropping into coverage to transition to outside linebacker in a base four-man font.

Williams is still an intriguing Day 3 possibility, though, because of his ability to get after the quarterback with more than just speed off the edge. His active hands, upper-body strength and fluid lateral mobility make him a versatile pass-rusher who can get to the quarterback in a number of ways. There's also a lot to like about the way he looks to knock the ball loose when he gets to the quarterback.

He currently carries a fringe/free-agent grade, but his pass-rush skills and experience on special teams could very well entice a team into taking a late-round flier on him.