• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2011 NFL Draft class (NFL SACK LEADERS)

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Check and see how many of Aldon's sacks come on only 4 man rushes. Also, I feel more than confident that Aldon could line up as a DE for the 9ers and still do what he's been doing. He does in some cases.

Yeah, so? They play two different positions. Would you rather have Simeon Rice in his prime or Bryant Young?

In 2008 Joey Porter had 17.5 sacks. Albert Haynesworth had 8.5. Robert mathis had 11.5.

Is Haynesworth the least valuable of the three from that season?

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so? They play two different positions. Would you rather have Simeon Rice in his prime or Bryant Young?

In 2008 Joey Porter had 17.5 sacks. Albert Haynesworth had 8.5. Robert mathis had 11.5.

Is Haynesworth the least valuable of the three from that season?
None of those guys had as many sacks in their first 26 games, none of those guys were a half sack away from setting the rookie record. None of those guys almost broke the record for fastest to 20 sacks. I'll take what Aldon HAS done here over what ever JJ could potentially do here.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ Watt>Aldon Smith and it's not close IMO.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah...the fact that you just said JJ Watt is only an above average DE tells me everything I need to know.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah above average DE > record setter... :burt:

Just so you know, beyond the sacks...in 12 years Justin Smith has 26 Passes Defensed, in other words.. quick enough to realize you can't get a sack so you better jump and block that shit. 26 over 12 years.

JJ Watt has 11.5 sacks as a 3-4 DE this year, and 11 PD this year... this year... to throw in perspective of how important 3-4 DE PD's are, Justin Smith's deflection of Eli Manning's pass in the regular season won the game.

That isn't above average, he is the best DE in the NFL. The only guy I'd take over Justin Smith.

The reason I choose Aldon is because I want both, I want a monster at DE and at OLB

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
None of those guys had as many sacks in their first 26 games, none of those guys were a half sack away from setting the rookie record. None of those guys almost broke the record for fastest to 20 sacks. I'll take what Aldon HAS done here over what ever JJ could potentially do here.

That's fantastic. You know what has been done before? People playing OLB in a 3-4 have had Aldon Smith sack numbers.

Know how many 3-4 DEs have had JJ Watt sack numbers? 1. Know who it was? Bruce Smith.

So you have a class of 3-4 OLBs that includes lots of people, and a 3-4 DE class of TWO.

JJ Watt is hands-down the best 3-4 DE in the league. If you were to take a poll of any group of people who pay attention to the NFL asking who the best DL is (regardless of position or scheme) it would be almost unanimous that it's JJ Watt (if not unanimous).

If you asked the same people who the best 3-4 OLB is, Aldon Smith might get some votes. If you said LB regardless of scheme or position, he might not get a single vote.

Taking Smith over Watt simply because of sack totals would be like taking Marshawn Lynch over Aaron Rodgers in a survey of Cal players you would want to build around because Lynch has more rushing TDs.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah above average DE > record setter... :burt:

Quite possibly the stupidest thing ever written on this board. JJ Watt is average?

And talk about an arbitrary record. 26 games?

Who has the most rushing yards in a career after 26 games? How about rushing TDs? Interceptions? Passing yards? Passing TDs?

Seriously.

Also, if Aldon only had 1 sack last week and he didn't have that "record" would it change your mind? Would you suddenly take Watt? What if he doesn't have the most sacks after 32 games (a much more real number)?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite possibly the stupidest thing ever written on this board. JJ Watt is average?

Who has the most rushing yards in a career after 26 games? How about rushing TDs? Interceptions? Passing yards? Passing TDs?

Seriously.

Also, if Aldon only had 1 sack last week and he didn't have that "record" would it change your mind? Would you suddenly take Watt? What if he doesn't have the most sacks after 32 games (a much more real number)?

I would take Dan Marino over Joe Montana. He has more yards, TD's, completions.... no brainer.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously.

Your reading comprehension is second to none. JJ was OK last year, and he's had a pro bowl season through 10 games this year, so yeah I'd call that above average. Aldon has been a little better than that, but the grass is always greener... Also Aldon only needs 2 more sacks the tie the record for most sacks in a players first 2 seasons. JJ is great, Aldon is special.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Your reading comprehension is second to none. JJ was OK last year, and he's had a pro bowl season through 10 games this year, so yeah I'd call that above average. Aldon has been a little better than that, but the grass is always greener... Also Aldon only needs 2 more sacks the tie the record for most sacks in a players first 2 seasons. JJ is great, Aldon is special.

Yes, insult others reading comprehension. Let's break down your post. We'll focus on two sentences. First:

JJ was OK last year, and he's had a pro bowl season through 10 games this year, so yeah I'd call that above average.

Followed with

JJ is great, Aldon is special

So is average the new standard for greatness?

Interesting stat from Thursday's game:

Reggie White holds the record for combined sacks/passes defensed in a season with 15/13. Through 11 games JJ Watt has 14/13.

I'm pretty confident that Watt will break that record.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, insult others reading comprehension. Let's break down your post. We'll focus on two sentences. First:

Followed with

So is average the new standard for greatness?

Interesting stat from Thursday's game:

Reggie White holds the record for combined sacks/passes defensed in a season with 15/13. Through 11 games JJ Watt has 14/13.

I'm pretty confident that Watt will break that record.

...And I'm growing increasingly more confident each time I watch JJ play that he may not be human!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watt can do everything as a 34 DE. Those stats imac posted don't even reflect the fact that he's a monster against the run, and consistently gets double teamed. I don't think I've seen Aldon Smith doubled much. I did see a bunch of stunt sacks because of the double teams on Justin.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the debate getting heated and I'm not trying to get involved I just want to say to the usual posters, don't get too worked upover what Josh is saying. I see what's going on here, he's a young 49er fan that is giving the ultimate homer response based on numbrs. He doesn't understand the nuancs of the game, we can't blame him, just try to educate him.

And for the record, yes, what Watt has done over the last two season's are amazing. I woud only take Aldon because we have "Cowboy" already, however to start a defense, I would start with Watt, FOR SURE.

I can't think of a 3-4 end do in a career what Watt has done in these first two seasons (Cowboy) the closest..

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Actually, Von Miller has been a monster in setting the edge and against the run. He's actually better than Aldon Smith at it.

No. No he's not. OLBs don't have the same resposibilities against the run as OLBs in a 3-4 do.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Von Miller isn't used like a typical 4-3 OLB.

I know he's not because he's a great pass-rusher. Julian Peterson was like that too. But he simply can't stand up an offensive tackle like Aldon can. And he doesn't have to as much in a 4-3.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he's not because he's a great pass-rusher. Julian Peterson was like that too. But he simply can't stand up an offensive tackle like Aldon can. And he doesn't have to as much in a 4-3.

He's gotten stronger since he's been in the NFL. I know that was a weakness of his coming out, but not anymore. Combine that his is elite speed and explosiveness, and he really is a monster at setting the edge. He's a complete LB.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gotten stronger since he's been in the NFL. I know that was a weakness of his coming out, but not anymore. Combine that his is elite speed and explosiveness, and he really is a monster at setting the edge. He's a complete LB.

He's definitely improved in those areas. I haven't had taken a look at him much in coverage, but he hasn't had to very much from what I've seen.

Aldon has been in stabbed and in a car wreck and he's still putting up these numbers.