• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2011 NFL Draft class (NFL SACK LEADERS)

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so just for the sake of argument, if you had the chance in the draft for any one of them, who would you want on your team out of those to build your defense?

My vote so far is probably for JJ Watt

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would stay with Aldon. If we didn't have the LB core we currently have II would go with Miller because I he is a complete LB right now. JJ is a great player but I don't see him making as big of an impact with the way 49ers are currently constructed IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would stay with Aldon. If we didn't have the LB core we currently have II would go with Miller because I he is a complete LB right now. JJ is a great player but I don't see him making as big of an impact with the way 49ers are currently constructed IMO.

agree, i would go with the more complete OLB, granted this isn't easy to determine? cause you wouldn't weigh the factors (sacks, tackling, and coverage) evenly.

Aldon seems to be doing ok against the run, but don't know about coverage? while Miller started out the more complete LB, maybe Aldon closed the gap? closed it enough to be considered for 'complete'?

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ Watt...no question about it for me.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so just for the sake of argument, if you had the chance in the draft for any one of them, who would you want on your team out of those to build your defense?

My vote so far is probably for JJ Watt

JJ Watt for sure. Having Justin Smith and Watt on the same line would be insane. Still, i would probably give up a future 1st and 2nd rounder to move up and grab Watt to go with Aldon. That would be the ultimate. Here's to hoping Aldon can hit 20+ sacks this year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J.J. Watt. He's a game-changer as a 3-4 DE. That's rare to find.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was bummed when Von Miller and Patrick Peterson were lost that day, and wasn't terribly excited about Aldon Smith... but, I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was bummed when Von Miller and Patrick Peterson were lost that day, and wasn't terribly excited about Aldon Smith... but, I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

I was. I was thrilled, and I actually think Smith is a better fit for the 3-4 than Von Miller would've been. He's a perfect for the 4-3 IMO. He can't set the edge like Aldon can.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
J.J. Watt. He's a game-changer as a 3-4 DE. That's rare to find.

There it is right there!

Clyde say it's rare, I say it's extremely rare. Robert Quinn, Justin Houston, and others are also killing it as pass rushers. Watt is the only 3-4 end of that entire group.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was. I was thrilled, and I actually think Smith is a better fit for the 3-4 than Von Miller would've been. He's a perfect for the 4-3 IMO. He can't set the edge like Aldon can.

Actually, Von Miller has been a monster in setting the edge and against the run. He's actually better than Aldon Smith at it.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There it is right there!

Clyde say it's rare, I say it's extremely rare. Robert Quinn, Justin Houston, and others are also killing it as pass rushers. Watt is the only 3-4 end of that entire group.

I would still love to see Cameron Jordan in a 30 front but yes I agree.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
in our own defense now, who is more key....Justin Smith or Aldon Smith? if we lost one of them, which lost affects the scheme more?

if we assume JJ Watt is like Justin Smith, then is he more valuable to the scheme than Aldon?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in our own defense now, who is more key....Justin Smith or Aldon Smith? if we lost one of them, which lost affects the scheme more?

if we assume JJ Watt is like Justin Smith, then is he more valuable to the scheme than Aldon?

I hope we don't have to find out. The one situation that comes to mind for me is when Smith was ejected in the Chargers game and from that point on the Chargers absolutely crushed the 49ers.. while before that they were still playing fairly good defense. Allowed a TD on the Chargers opening drive, then forced two punts and the game was tied 7-7... then Smith got ejected and it went on to be 34-7 Chargers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope we don't have to find out. The one situation that comes to mind for me is when Smith was ejected in the Chargers game and from that point on the Chargers absolutely crushed the 49ers.. while before that they were still playing fairly good defense. Allowed a TD on the Chargers opening drive, then forced two punts and the game was tied 7-7... then Smith got ejected and it went on to be 34-7 Chargers.

there is no clear cut answer, and this isn't implying anything about the specific players. just choosing them as a specific example.

here is another look without names.......does the scheme function better with a Pro Bowl DE and 'average' OLB; or a Pro Bowl OLB with 'average' DE? this is pertaining to a 3-4 scheme, not in general.

here is yet another view, if you were an offensive coordinator, would you prefer scheming around a DE or around an OLB?

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll stick with the guy who has the most sacks of any player through their first 26 games, a guy who has 12, thats right 12 more career sacks than JJ Watt, in just 2 years. It's hard to believe either of the other two guys could do better than what Aldon has done so far here. He consistently creates pressure when we send only 4 guys.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not fair for Watt. Getting a sack as a 3-4 DE is much harder than getting a sack as a 3-4 OLB.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not fair for Watt. Getting a sack as a 3-4 DE is much harder than getting a sack as a 3-4 OLB.

Check and see how many of Aldon's sacks come on only 4 man rushes. Also, I feel more than confident that Aldon could line up as a DE for the 9ers and still do what he's been doing. He does in some cases.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Aldon has half a sack less than DeMarcus Ware over the last 2 years. I'll stand pat.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Another question has to be which one would be more replaceable. I think a 3-4 OLB that is very disruptive as a pass rusher is more common than JJ Watt.