• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #2 Ohio State vs #11 Michigan 12PM EST - Fox

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point. But anecdotally, at least in the classes I took, they were completely a joke. Mostly because they allow the individual to make them a complete joke. They're based largely on the honor system.
I don't doubt it, but when I was at OSU (and, no, no online classes) you could skip any lecture you wanted. Sounds like one could take advantage of on-line tests but if a student wants to cheat on a regular test he/she can find a way.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haskins would have two years left if he's a RS Soph, but I know what you mean. At any rate though, you haven't had a RB jump out and take the reins, and that's a big deal.
He was in the 2018 class and only appeared in 3 games so he should be qualified for a RS. So that would make him a RS freshman this year (though everwhere it says Soph). Did those redshirt rules not apply last year? I thought they did.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt it, but when I was at OSU (and, no, no online classes) you could skip any lecture you wanted. Sounds like one could take advantage of on-line tests but if a student wants to cheat on a regular test he/she can find a way.
They get you in lectures now with the in-class survey things. So those big lectures you can't skip anymore because they record your answers to in class polls.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said a couple posts up, the #1 reason is because OSU was a major program in need of a QB ASAP.

Tate Martell was still on the roster and no one outside of maybe the football program knew he was a bust yet. He looked competent when he came in for backup the year prior. Fields chose Ohio State bc of Ryan Days reputation. His other top choice was Oklahoma bc of Lincoln Riley.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They get you in lectures now with the in-class survey things. So those big lectures you can't skip anymore because they record your answers to in class polls.
Have to think kids have figured out a way around this, but if not glad I went when I did.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to think kids have figured out a way around this, but if not glad I went when I did.
There isn't. They're short range devices the students have to buy; unless someone goes and answers in their place, it's how many of those big lectures are keeping attendance now. They can see simple data on when and how often every single student comes throughout the semester.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's well known we slipped for a few years as UF was CUMstained.

Word to any school who takes an Ohio state sleezeball into his program. It took a decade to clean up the filthy residue at Florida.
Bad coaches coach bad. Its that simple. FL made bad hires. 4 years is all it should take to fix a program.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would have to be most tedious job in the entire world to watch a computer screen for 1000’s of students a day taking a test.

We definitely didn’t have that 10 years ago. So I don’t know how that’d even work, unless they make every student put live feed cameras not only on the laptop, but in the room too.

just the computer. Before test you have to show the room on the camera. Or hold up a mirror so they can see what’s going on. Plus they take control of computer so you can’t have other windows open

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad coaches coach bad. Its that simple. FL made bad hires. 4 years is all it should take to fix a program.

It's true, but there were others costs...reputation being one. Alumni contributions fell precipitously in CUM's last year and still haven't quite recovered, probably because he refused to do the dog and pony shows around the state.

Meyer just sucked here, and one of the reasons is Zook left a bit of a mess administratively. He was over his head and couldn't focus on the game...and it blew his mind. OSUx realized this and had things more set for him when arrived.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, again, you had only 6 drops. Saying a pass is "imminently catchable" is an opinion. It also doesn't take into account passes broken up with hits by our defense, which happened on a few occasions Saturday as well. If you wanna blame drops for your offensive futility, be my guest, but one outlier game doesn't really concern me. Our secondary is elite and everybody but you apparently knows that.

Name another team you played this year who had a group of WR’s as good as UM? PSU has Hamler, but he is a little guy who you can be physical with. Wisconsin has Cephus (sp), but they are a run and run some more team.

LSU and Clemson can put out WR’s like UM, who are better than what we have and have superstar QB’s delivering them the ball. Hell — Chase and Jefferson have 2,500 yards receiving and 30 td

The outlier in the game was UM dropping all of those passes. If by halftime adjustments, you meant UM would drop every ball in the 3rd quarter and force them to be one dimensional and pass every down — then yes, those halftime adjustments worked. It isn’t as if he didn’t have anyone to throw to — they just couldn’t catch it.

I said, before the game, if UM m, and it was a big IF, had time to throw. They’d be able to. It is the nature of the game these days. That’s why I’d argue Chase Young as the Best player in college because he makes the secondary great by not allowing teams time to run routes and make throws.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's true, but there were others costs...reputation being one. Alumni contributions fell precipitously in CUM's last year and still haven't quite recovered, probably because he refused to do the dog and pony shows around the state.

Meyer just sucked here, and one of the reasons is Zook left a bit of a mess administratively. He was over his head and couldn't focus on the game...and it blew his mind. OSUx realized this and had things more set for him when arrived.
tOSU had things more set years before he was coaching. The AD at FL must have sucked as well as the coaches.
Money aside, which is very big for colleges, any good coach can turn a program around in 4 years and usually less.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name another team you played this year who had a group of WR’s as good as UM? PSU has Hamler, but he is a little guy who you can be physical with. Wisconsin has Cephus (sp), but they are a run and run some more team.

LSU and Clemson can put out WR’s like UM, who are better than what we have and have superstar QB’s delivering them the ball. Hell — Chase and Jefferson have 2,500 yards receiving and 30 td

The outlier in the game was UM dropping all of those passes. If by halftime adjustments, you meant UM would drop every ball in the 3rd quarter and force them to be one dimensional and pass every down — then yes, those halftime adjustments worked. It isn’t as if he didn’t have anyone to throw to — they just couldn’t catch it.

I said, before the game, if UM m, and it was a big IF, had time to throw. They’d be able to. It is the nature of the game these days. That’s why I’d argue Chase Young as the Best player in college because he makes the secondary great by not allowing teams time to run routes and make throws.
Didn't they have 6 drops for the game? Even if they caught all the passes thrown that they dropped his 2nd half passing was far worse.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say the much, much, much bigger outlier in the game was michigan having the success passing that they did in the first half. Now granted, your second passing touchdown only happened because your OT literally bear-hugged Chase Young when he was about to close in on Patterson, but you had success.

Again, though, 6 dropped passes is a lot for a game, but it isn't what killed you. Patterson threw the ball 43 times and only completed 18 of them. That's 25 incompletions, 6 were dropped. What happened on the other 19 incompletions? Do you have any idea how many incompletions that is for one game? I mean, the week before I was impressed with michigan's effort against Indiana - a top 15 passing team - and they only had 12 incompletions in total that game, including any drops. That is a TON of incomplete passes. Overall, considering your weapons at WR, I was pretty happy. I would be shocked if Lawrence or Burrow has 19 incompletions without a drop and does well against us.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't they have 6 drops for the game? Even if they caught all the passes thrown that they dropped his 2nd half passing was far worse.
It's funny, I was just back looking at the highlights. I think the drop that was credited to michigan in the first half was when DPJ couldn't haul in the TD pass at the end of the 2nd quarter, but the only reason he dropped it is because he was popped by Jordan Fuller, which jarred the ball loose. Unless there was another drop I'm not aware of, but I've seen a few places online saying that it was a "dropped TD pass". Not even sure that should count as one.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can be tough. There are certainly some online courses, through some schools that could be really challenging. But you and I both know that an undergrad degree, probably in something like general studies, and likely with the help of "tutors" through OSU, wouldn't likely be a huge commitment for anyone at all. He doesn't have to go to class. Who knows what these online courses require in terms of participation. It's genius if you ask me. I'm not shitting on it really. You got the #1 player in the country and probably the only reason you kicked our ass. Without him, OSU's backup certainly wasn't going to do that.
just curious if you know, what is Shea Patterson's major?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the much, much, much bigger outlier in the game was michigan having the success passing that they did in the first half. Now granted, your second passing touchdown only happened because your OT literally bear-hugged Chase Young when he was about to close in on Patterson, but you had success.

Again, though, 6 dropped passes is a lot for a game, but it isn't what killed you. Patterson threw the ball 43 times and only completed 18 of them. That's 25 incompletions, 6 were dropped. What happened on the other 19 incompletions? Do you have any idea how many incompletions that is for one game? I mean, the week before I was impressed with michigan's effort against Indiana - a top 15 passing team - and they only had 12 incompletions in total that game, including any drops. That is a TON of incomplete passes. Overall, considering your weapons at WR, I was pretty happy. I would be shocked if Lawrence or Burrow has 19 incompletions without a drop and does well against us.

What you are missing is — when all the drops happened, especially in the 3rd quarter — OSU extended the lead and made UM one dimensional, so they didn’t have to even think about the run.
When the DL can pin their ears back and just rush the QB and DB’s and LB’s don’t have to worry about supporting the run — It is a recipe for disaster — especially when a team has the DL that OSU does.
So yes — UM struggled after halftime, but it was the drops in the 3rd quarter where OSU turn it into a blowout that made OSU’s defense that much better.

There is a reason Haskins broke off a 45 yard run and it wasn’t superior blocking — OSU sold out to stop the pass because that was all UM was going to do down by 1.2 million points.

OSU has really good secondary, but in today’s CFB with the rules in place — the offense has an enormous advantage. It is why I said before the game — if UM had time to throw — they’d be able to pass on OSU. The teams you will see in the CFP all have better QB’s and better WR’s than UM. So personally I think it will be a shootout and whichever team gets a stop here or there will win. But I bet the over/under in the NCG will be in the high 60’s to low 70’s.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN and CBS had the drops at 11. USA Today had them with 6 drops in the 3rd quarter alone. So bare minimum of 7 for them, as we know DPJ dropped an easy TD at the end of the half.
Of course, OSU is using the lowest number they can find, but anyone who watched the game. OSU wasn’t batting down passes, UM WR’s were though.:gaah: At one point in the 3rd quarter — they had 5 drops IN A ROW.

Drops are subjective — there is no true definition of a drop. Some say if you get both hands on it, it is a drop. Some only count it if it hits you in the chest and you drop it.

Anyways — OSU could have run the ball 70 times in the game and still blown out UM — they are just the better team.