• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #2 Ohio State vs #11 Michigan 12PM EST - Fox

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you are missing is — when all the drops happened, especially in the 3rd quarter — OSU extended the lead and made UM one dimensional, so they didn’t have to even think about the run.
When the DL can pin their ears back and just rush the QB and DB’s and LB’s don’t have to worry about supporting the run — It is a recipe for disaster — especially when a team has the DL that OSU does.
So yes — UM struggled after halftime, but it was the drops in the 3rd quarter where OSU turn it into a blowout that made OSU’s defense that much better.

There is a reason Haskins broke off a 45 yard run and it wasn’t superior blocking — OSU sold out to stop the pass because that was all UM was going to do down by 1.2 million points.

OSU has really good secondary, but in today’s CFB with the rules in place — the offense has an enormous advantage. It is why I said before the game — if UM had time to throw — they’d be able to pass on OSU. The teams you will see in the CFP all have better QB’s and better WR’s than UM. So personally I think it will be a shootout and whichever team gets a stop here or there will win. But I bet the over/under in the NCG will be in the high 60’s to low 70’s.
You guys never had a 45 yard run. You had a 33 yard run. You're acting as if michigan has some amazing rush offense that unfortunately had to be abandoned. That 33 yard run happened towards the end of the 3rd quarter, and to that point you had run the ball 15 times. After that run, which was basically a few seconds left in the 3rd and then the 4th quarter, you ran it 7 times. So that means on a per quarter basis, you ran as much or more in the 4th quarter than the previous 3 quarters. You are just flat out wrong with that assertion that michigan abandoned the run.

We'll see what happens in the CFP. Again, we were also missing our 2nd best CB and our 3rd best CB left the game hurt, so things are obviously quite different when they're both healthy.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN and CBS had the drops at 11. USA Today had them with 6 drops in the 3rd quarter alone. So bare minimum of 7 for them, as we know DPJ dropped an easy TD at the end of the half.
Of course, OSU is using the lowest number they can find, but anyone who watched the game. OSU wasn’t batting down passes, UM WR’s were though.:gaah: At one point in the 3rd quarter — they had 5 drops IN A ROW.

Drops are subjective — there is no true definition of a drop. Some say if you get both hands on it, it is a drop. Some only count it if it hits you in the chest and you drop it.

Anyways — OSU could have run the ball 70 times in the game and still blown out UM — they are just the better team.
1. I can find nothing that says they had 11 drops from ESPN, CBS, or anyone else.

2. USA Today said they had 6 drops for the entire game, not the 3rd quarter. I already provided to you a link saying that earlier in this thread.

3. From what I'm reading, several of the "drops" that are being credited to michigan were on plays where the receiver was hit by an OSU player that knocked the ball free.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN and CBS had the drops at 11. USA Today had them with 6 drops in the 3rd quarter alone. So bare minimum of 7 for them, as we know DPJ dropped an easy TD at the end of the half.
Of course, OSU is using the lowest number they can find, but anyone who watched the game. OSU wasn’t batting down passes, UM WR’s were though.:gaah: At one point in the 3rd quarter — they had 5 drops IN A ROW.

Drops are subjective — there is no true definition of a drop. Some say if you get both hands on it, it is a drop. Some only count it if it hits you in the chest and you drop it.

Anyways — OSU could have run the ball 70 times in the game and still blown out UM — they are just the better team.
I could buy the 4-5 straight in the 3rd...it was pretty bad. But knowing how many other incomplete non dropped passes he has what makes you so sure they score even if the passes were caught? And don't kid yourself....the TD drop was caused by the defender.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could buy the 4-5 straight in the 3rd...it was pretty bad. But knowing how many other incomplete non dropped passes he has what makes you so sure they score even if the passes were caught? And don't kid yourself....the TD drop was caused by the defender.

He never had the ball on dropped TD.
It hit him in the chest and was loose before any OSU player got there.

And I have no idea if they would have scored or not, but by dropping all the passes — it put them in an even bigger hole, as stopping OSU wasn’t happening. So UM became one dimensional and OSU never even had to give the run game a 2nd thought.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never had the ball on dropped TD.
It hit him in the chest and was loose before any OSU player got there.

And I have no idea if they would have scored or not, but by dropping all the passes — it put them in an even bigger hole, as stopping OSU wasn’t happening. So UM became one dimensional and OSU never even had to give the run game a 2nd thought.
Well that's not true either. He had it all but secured until Jordan Fuller hit him. If he hadn't have been hit by Fuller, it's a TD. And that went down as one of these drops you keep going on about.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I can find nothing that says they had 11 drops from ESPN, CBS, or anyone else.

2. USA Today said they had 6 drops for the entire game, not the 3rd quarter. I already provided to you a link saying that earlier in this thread.

3. From what I'm reading, several of the "drops" that are being credited to michigan were on plays where the receiver was hit by an OSU player that knocked the ball free.

You provided a link to SI — I provided the USA Today.

And if a defensive player breaks up a pass, it is called a pass defensed, not a drop. Two completely different things.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You provided a link to SI — I provided the USA Today.

And if a defensive player breaks up a pass, it is called a pass defensed, not a drop. Two completely different things.
I've read the USA Today article you're talking about. Nowhere does it say there were 11 drops. In fact, at least 2 of the drops it mentioned were caused by an OSU player breaking up the pass.

Regarding the DPJ TD "drop", take a look for yourself. Look at 7:12-7:20:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's not true either. He had it all but secured until Jordan Fuller hit him. If he hadn't have been hit by Fuller, it's a TD. And that went down as one of these drops you keep going on about.
Watch the replay — he doesn’t have the ball secured. It was coming out before he was hit. Here is a clip from SI article game breakdown.
0119BB4E-9201-4625-B848-CDE8B7DB648B.jpeg

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys never had a 45 yard run. You had a 33 yard run. You're acting as if michigan has some amazing rush offense that unfortunately had to be abandoned. That 33 yard run happened towards the end of the 3rd quarter, and to that point you had run the ball 15 times. After that run, which was basically a few seconds left in the 3rd and then the 4th quarter, you ran it 7 times. So that means on a per quarter basis, you ran as much or more in the 4th quarter than the previous 3 quarters. You are just flat out wrong with that assertion that michigan abandoned the run.

We'll see what happens in the CFP. Again, we were also missing our 2nd best CB and our 3rd best CB left the game hurt, so things are obviously quite different when they're both healthy.

I don’t know why 45 yard was stuck in my head. Maybe that was the run by Dobbins to start the 2nd half?!? Whatever the run was — it made UM look respectable running the ball and nothing could be further from the truth.

Now this is not meant as disrespect, but I would wager you have never played a down of football. This is why UM became one dimensional. Once you are down 3-4 scores in the 2nd half — EVERY team in the country is going to have their LB’s drop into coverage. They aren’t going to be shooting gaps at the line of scrimmage, because they don’t care if you get 3-4 yards running the ball, while the clock continues to run. You drop your LB’s and clog throwing lanes. Some teams will bring in an extra CB — I didn’t pay attention enough to see if OSU did that.

UM is NOT a dominant running team (I would never say this), but in the first half — OSU has to play for the run or pass, as it was still a game. In the 2nd half — it wasn’t a game. It was a route. UM still tried to run the ball Occasionally — to try and keep the defense honest, but OSU was inviting them to run and let the clock run.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And regardless — UM could have caught every ball thrown by Patterson and UM still would have lost. OSU is simply the better team right now and it is t even close.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the replay — he doesn’t have the ball secured. It was coming out before he was hit. Here is a clip from SI article game breakdown.
View attachment 225000
It wasn't coming out. It was ruled a drop but he only dropped it because Jordan Fuller hit him. This is irrefutable fact to anyone with eyesight.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know why 45 yard was stuck in my head. Maybe that was the run by Dobbins to start the 2nd half?!? Whatever the run was — it made UM look respectable running the ball and nothing could be further from the truth.

Now this is not meant as disrespect, but I would wager you have never played a down of football. This is why UM became one dimensional. Once you are down 3-4 scores in the 2nd half — EVERY team in the country is going to have their LB’s drop into coverage. They aren’t going to be shooting gaps at the line of scrimmage, because they don’t care if you get 3-4 yards running the ball, while the clock continues to run. You drop your LB’s and clog throwing lanes. Some teams will bring in an extra CB — I didn’t pay attention enough to see if OSU did that.

UM is NOT a dominant running team (I would never say this), but in the first half — OSU has to play for the run or pass, as it was still a game. In the 2nd half — it wasn’t a game. It was a route. UM still tried to run the ball Occasionally — to try and keep the defense honest, but OSU was inviting them to run and let the clock run.
You lose that wager, I played from midgets through HS. They were one-dimensional throughout the whole game. I guarantee you that, after the first half Patterson had, OSU was considerably more concerned with stopping the pass in the 2nd half than the run. It was obvious. Patterson was 14-19 in the first half, and 4-24 in the second half. 5 of those 20 incompletions were drops. We made adjustments and they worked.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets get back on topic

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And regardless — UM could have caught every ball thrown by Patterson and UM still would have lost. OSU is simply the better team right now and it is t even close.
It's true, but it doesn't change the fact that DPJ's "drop" was due to our defensive back jarring the ball loose. There was another drop in the 2nd half charged to michigan where Giles Jackson (pretty sure) was hit after the ball got there and it was an incomplete. I know you hate saying this, but you are looking at this through the lens of "We fucking blew it due to self-inflicted wounds" when, in fact, OSU just made adjustments to your passing game at halftime and they worked. You act like your rushing game suddenly came alive in the second half when I don't think you had even 50 yards. You had slightly more in the 2nd half because of the 33-yard run, which was only a result of a missed tackle by Baron Browning and a good block on our only DB on the left side of the field because we had 3 DBs on the other side. Jesus, did you actually watch the game?