• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1996 Bulls and the 2016 GSW

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean those are all the things this Warrior team has been doing. Although I think they could get better with rebounding. If they had a Rodman down low with them other teams could forget it. Not only would they be shooting lights out but they'd also be getting 75% of their rebounds on missed shots?? Goodness.

Rodman was a very good player and has the advantage of sustained excellence over time, but at the same time is wildly overrated by people today who look back at the 96 Bulls.

The Warriors don't need Rodman, because Green is A LOT better. No he is not as good rebounding the ball, but like Rodman, Green is one of, if not the premier defender in the NBA. Both men can defend multiple positions, but Green's versatility on the offensive end make him far more valuable overall. While Rodman's rebounding was invaluable to the Bulls, his Only real offensive contribution was hitting the boards. Defenses always had to account for him because of that talent, but Green is a player you can run your offense through in addition to being a lock down defender.

In other words, give me Bogut's size / skill and Barnes + Iguodala in a small lineup. They are both better fits for what the Warriors do.

And no, I don't think the Warriors are better than the Bulls, but let's not make the mistake of assuming that because they played 20 years ago they were automatically better. It just isn't true. Different eras cannot and should not be compared.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could say the same thing about most players on offense, especially shooters, like Steph. Defensively, it would actually help Lebron bc of his physicality, especially in his younger days. Lockdown defender. Kawhi Leonard with a hand check would be unfair, it already is pretty unfair.
Not typically with jump shooters like Steph. Most guys develop a jumper so that they don't have to face defenses in the paint.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodman was a very good player and has the advantage of sustained excellence over time, but at the same time is wildly overrated by people today who look back at the 96 Bulls.

The Warriors don't need Rodman, because Green is A LOT better. No he is not as good rebounding the ball, but like Rodman, Green is one of, if not the premier defender in the NBA. Both men can defend multiple positions, but Green's versatility on the offensive end make him far more valuable overall. While Rodman's rebounding was invaluable to the Bulls, his Only real offensive contribution was hitting the boards. Defenses always had to account for him because of that talent, but Green is a player you can run your offense through in addition to being a lock down defender.

In other words, give me Bogut's size / skill and Barnes + Iguodala in a small lineup. They are both better fits for what the Warriors do.

And no, I don't think the Warriors are better than the Bulls, but let's not make the mistake of assuming that because they played 20 years ago they were automatically better. It just isn't true. Different eras cannot and should not be compared.
Well nobody expected much of anything else besides rebounding from Rodman, which is exactly the case with my mentioning him here. I am very familiar with Green's body of work which is why I think if the Warriors had someone that was a beast at just rebounding they would be ridiculously hard to beat-even moreso than they already are.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well nobody expected much of anything else besides rebounding from Rodman, which is exactly the case with my mentioning him here. I am very familiar with Green's body of work which is why I think if the Warriors had someone that was a beast at just rebounding they would be ridiculously hard to beat-even moreso than they already are.

Don't forget though, what makes the Warriors so special is that almost every player on their roster has a remarkable offensive skill set. Even Ezeli, who is he only real "unskilled" player in their rotation can do some things offensively within his role that Rodman couldn't.

While Rodman would help the defense for sure, he is a somewhat redundant piece on that end. Neither Dray or Rodman are at their best guarding a scoring center, and Rodman would hurt the a Warriors offensive flow. I think he might actually hurt the offense more than he would help the defense.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time.

But in a lot of ways his reputation today exceeds the reality. The dude was awesome but he wasn't perfect. Watch an old game - even one of his great games (I have every Bulls Finals Game on DVD) - and you're almost let down just because of how bloated the legend of Michael has become.

It's what happens. An all-time great retires and all we have left are the highlights. After awhile, folks start to think that they played like that in every game they ever played in.

In a few years, there will probably be people who think that Kobe averaged 81 points in a season rather than just scoring that much in 1 game. :lol:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did. It's also January. Be interesting to see how this plays out come April or May. I know Jimmy Butler looked like dog shit in that game and Cleveland just got ran off the court. The effort was pathetic. Didn't see the Spurs game.

The results won't be any different. Last year they relied on there defense and this year in the playoffs I expect them to turn up the defense this year too from being top 5 to one of the best

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's what happens. An all-time great retires and all we have left are the highlights. After awhile, folks start to think that they played like that in every game they ever played in.

In a few years, there will probably be people who think that Kobe averaged 81 points in a season rather than just scoring that much in 1 game. :lol:

Next thing you'll tell me is that Babe Ruth didn't hit a HR in every at bat.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5 isn't one of the best?:scratch:

Lol sj doesn't think the warriors are a good defensive team just because the warriors have an amazing offense. He thinks west coast and east coast are 2 different type of defenses lol

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
40 games above .500 in less than 50 games.

I don't care what era you are in or what your schedule looked like, that's pretty damn good.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol sj doesn't think the warriors are a good defensive team just because the warriors have an amazing offense. He thinks west coast and east coast are 2 different type of defenses lol

Wrong son.. During the season I wasn't a believer. The NBA hasn't seen a high powered West coast offense that can play D since??? Once they won the whole show, I was a believer. And yes they are currently the best team in the NBA which is why people are comparing them to the 1996 Bulls.
I've always been a Steph Curry fan. He's a good kid and fun to watch. Just didn't think he would hold up in the playoffs, but obviously he's got a supporting cast and obviously the game isn't as physical as it once was.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time.

But in a lot of ways his reputation today exceeds the reality. The dude was awesome but he wasn't perfect. Watch an old game - even one of his great games (I have every Bulls Finals Game on DVD) - and you're almost let down just because of how bloated the legend of Michael has become.
Wake me up when the Warriors win #6

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wake me up when the Warriors win #6

Wake me up when Steph takes 2 years off to play baseball, then comes back and wins 3 more.

Hell wake me up when they win 3 dammit!!

michael-jordan-baseball-300x168.png

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget though, what makes the Warriors so special is that almost every player on their roster has a remarkable offensive skill set. Even Ezeli, who is he only real "unskilled" player in their rotation can do some things offensively within his role that Rodman couldn't.

While Rodman would help the defense for sure, he is a somewhat redundant piece on that end. Neither Dray or Rodman are at their best guarding a scoring center, and Rodman would hurt the a Warriors offensive flow. I think he might actually hurt the offense more than he would help the defense.
Nah, disagree with all of this. Rodman was DPOY twice, NBA All defensive first team 7 times, NBA All defensive second 1 season & NBA All defensive third twice over his career.
I think that tells us he was pretty good on defense. :lol:

So maybe it depends on what point of his career we're talking about. Also, on this Warriors team Rodman wouldn't be needed AT ALL on offense. That's the luxury & great thing about this team.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong son.. During the season I wasn't a believer. The NBA hasn't seen a high powered West coast offense that can play D since??? Once they won the whole show, I was a believer. And yes they are currently the best team in the NBA which is why people are comparing them to the 1996 Bulls.
I've always been a Steph Curry fan. He's a good kid and fun to watch. Just didn't think he would hold up in the playoffs, but obviously he's got a supporting cast and obviously the game isn't as physical as it once was.
Have you watched Warrior games? Teams are VERY physical with Steph and ironically that's when he seems to burn them even more.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you watched Warrior games? Teams are VERY physical with Steph and ironically that's when he seems to burn them even more.

To be fair, they're as physical as they're allowed to be. In a different era, with hand check rules, teams would murder Steph.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, disagree with all of this. Rodman was DPOY twice, NBA All defensive first team 7 times, NBA All defensive second 1 season & NBA All defensive third twice over his career.

So maybe it depends on what point of his career we're talking about. Also, on this Warriors team Rodman wouldn't be needed AT ALL on offense. That's the luxury & great thing about this team.

It's hard to be involved on offense when you are grabbing the rebound on the defensive end and finding the outlet man on the break!! Rodman was a beast at this..

tumblr_m21c5rFLRX1r31jjho1_1280.jpg

Yeah in half court offense, Rodman wasn't used much at all. He knew his role, which is why he was so dam good. If anything he was crashing the rim on offense for the tip in.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, they're as physical as they're allowed to be. In a different era, with hand check rules, teams would murder Steph.
Not saying it isn't fair, but lets be honest. He's hit A LOT, knocked to the ground and doesn't get half of the calls he should (meaning and 1s).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did I ever imply Rodman was not a great defender? I simply said he was not a better defender than Green. I was a huge Jordan fan and watched just about every game the '96 Bulls played, so I know exactly how good Rodman was.

Draymond does not have the accolades because he has not been around as long. Will he be as good for as long as Rodman was? Who the hell knows.

Today, however, Draymond is every bit as good defensively as Rodman ever was. Dray should have won DPOY last year, and he will win it this season.

And to say that Rodman would not negatively impact the Warriors offense is foolish. The Warriors are so tough to guard because all 5 are a threat. Unless you are going small and playing Rodman at the 5, using him like they do Ezeli, he would have a significant negative affect on the Warriors offense, because playing Rodman at the 4 means you only have 3 perimeter threats to defend instead of 4.