• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1996 Bulls and the 2016 GSW

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say if Bogut was "great" -- he would have gotten off the bench for a few minutes in the NBA Finals last year in the last 3 games vs. the Cavs. But he didn't.

Bogut is a role player, but he is great at what he does. Nobody ever said he is a "great player". There is a big difference. Bogut's role was not needed against the Cavs, so he did not play. That in no way is a knock on his ability.

For the record, Rodman was a role player also. He was a great role player, but a role player just the same.

Before you all go nuts, here is the definition of role player:

A player who plays a supporting role on his/her team and does it willingly. A role player can be a bench player or a starter who does a very specific job.

That is Rodman and Bogut.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm because Shaq is considered a great center, yes? And I only looked at the stats that affect defense. If we shouldn't compare him to Shaq (a true center) then who else should we use? LOL

The with calling a player "great"is that it can be fairly subjective. Sometimes a player is very good to great because the team/system they are in is a perfect situation for them. For example, over the years, we've seen several players earn big paydays from other teams playing in Mike D'Antoni's offense. only to see them not perform nearly as well as for their new team as they did in D'Antoni's system.

A player like Shaq was going to be great no matter what. Bogut, on the other hand, might be average to pretty good if he went to another team, but is very good to great with GSW because he fills an important role.

Bottom line, if a guy plays well for your team and helps you win games, that's a good thing.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say if Bogut was "great" -- he would have gotten off the bench for a few minutes in the NBA Finals last year in the last 3 games vs. the Cavs. But he didn't.
Part of the problem there is that he slows their offense down when they want to go small. Also, IMO he doesn't defend against guards well (to his credit isn't easy-as we watch Steph burn most bigs that try to go out & defend him on the perimeter)

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said he couldn't rebound. Half of the guys ranked ahead of him play like 10 minutes or less. When you compare him to other starters he is 7th in the league and right there with the best In the game.
No, I didn't say he couldn't rebound. I said he doesn't rebound enough to be considered great. Now look who's twisting words.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I stand by that comment, although maybe it was misinterpreted.

What I meant was whether 1st or 3rd in DPOY voting, it still more or less means the same. The winner is subjective, if you are in the conversation, you are among the best.
Well I'm pretty sure when there has to be a decision made between 1st & 2nd (not going to use 3rd as in your example) they would look to things like STATS.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the problem there is that he slows their offense down when they want to go small. Also, IMO he doesn't defend against guards well (to his credit isn't easy-as we watch Steph burn most bigs that try to go out & defend him on the perimeter)

I agree. When Green plays the 5, they can switch on D every time without worrying about matchups too much.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw that Stephen Curry is averaging as many rebounds per game as Roy Hibbert (5.3 rebounds per game). I know that Curry plays more minutes per game (33.7 to Hibbert's 24.8), but damn, that is still impressive for someone who is a foot shorter. This is probably also a sign that the Warriors are able to get their opponents to play at their pace more often than not.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw that Stephen Curry is averaging as many rebounds per game as Roy Hibbert (5.3 rebounds per game). I know that Curry plays more minutes per game (33.7 to Hibbert's 24.8), but damn, that is still impressive for someone who is a foot shorter. This is probably also a sign that the Warriors are able to get their opponents to play at their pace more often than not.
I don't think we should talk about how this makes Hibbert look. :L

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's 7'2", but perhaps he is too slow-footed to put himself into good position for the rebound.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 7'2", but perhaps he is too slow-footed to put himself into good position for the rebound.
Could be...also maybe he needs to see the wizard and ask for a heart.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting stat about Curry / Hibbert. Rondo leads Gs in RBs with 6.3. (unless you call the Greek Freak a guard)

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodman would lay out a couple of Warriors and that would be all she wrote. Game over.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

The accolades are accrued over time.

Draymond is the best defensive player in the NBA today. The whole conversation is comparing the '96 Bulls to the 2016 Warriors. How many accolades Rodman accumulated in his career is irrelevant. All that matters is that 2016 Green is every bit as good defensively as '96 Rodman.

If Green retires after this season, that will affect his legacy, but it does not make him any less great right now. this comparison is a snapshot in time, yet you are using Rodman's entire career to say that he is better. That makes no sense for this argument.

I dislike Draymond with a passion, but I can say he is or one of the most versatile defenders in the league, just like Rodman. Like you said, comparing Rodman's whole career with a young guy like Green is dumb. All I know is he much better of an all-around player than Rodman ever was and can be just as versatile as Rodman on the switch.

Rebounding, is a different story, Rodman was one of the best ever IMO

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodman would lay out a couple of Warriors and that would be all she wrote. Game over.

Yeah and that would scare some of those little guys from taking it in the paint. But in todays game he would have be suspended a week for every lay out lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's crazy. Rodman was averaging 13.1 rpg and 4.8 off rpg in only 31.7 minutes per game over his career.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dislike Draymond with a passion, but I can say he is or one of the most versatile defenders in the league, just like Rodman. Like you said, comparing Rodman's whole career with a young guy like Green is dumb. All I know is he much better of an all-around player than Rodman ever was and can be just as versatile as Rodman on the switch.

Rebounding, is a different story, Rodman was one of the best ever IMO

I agree 100%.

I think Rodman is the greatest rebounder ever, even though a few have averaged more.