• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1996 Bulls and the 2016 GSW

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doing my best here. Miller was the best shooter of that era, like Curry is the best shooter of this era.

Just for the hell of it I looked back and checked that team out in 95-96… they were the only team to beat the Bulls twice that season.

Their losses came from Magic (Shaq/ Penny), Sonics (Kemp/ Payton), Pacers(2)(Reggie Miller), Nuggets , Suns (Barkley, KJ), Heat (Mourning), Knicks (Ewing, Starks), Raptors, Hornets

That Pacers team went 52-30 and lost in the first round that year. I don't think they were anywhere near the level that Golden State is this year.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for the hell of it I looked back and checked that team out in 95-96… they were the only team to beat the Bulls twice that season.

Their losses came from Magic (Shaq/ Penny), Sonics (Kemp/ Payton), Pacers(2)(Reggie Miller), Nuggets , Suns (Barkley, KJ), Heat (Mourning), Knicks (Ewing, Starks), Raptors, Hornets

That Pacers team went 52-30 and lost in the first round that year. I don't think they were anywhere near the level that Golden State is this year.
I agree they are nowhere near the level of GS. I compared them to that team from that era because of the comparison of Miller and Curry.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree they are nowhere near the level of GS. I compared them to that team from that era because of the comparison of Miller and Curry.

Curry's stats are so much better than Reggie Miller's though.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing by the no hand check rules if today, Jordan scores 50 a game..

I wonder how Leonard, Butler, LeBron, etc would do defensively with the hand check rules in place?

Reactions: LAD

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how Leonard, Butler, LeBron, etc would do defensively with the hand check rules in place?
I'm sure they would do well, though their offensive games might suffer. As great as Curry is, it would be much more difficult for him with rules like the 80's, and Jordan would score literally every time down court today. That's the difference to me

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone references the hand-check rule to show why Jordan would score 50 points a game today.

But everyone forgets that Zone Defense is now legal, whereas it wasn't years ago. Today it makes it much easier to have a big or an additional player hedge from the weakside to double. The defense today allows no hand-checks, but it allows easier access for double teams and defensive rotations, without getting called for illegal defense.

I guarantee if Jordan got the ball in the post, he would be instantly doubled or at the very least have an additional defender sag in his area.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO

If the Bulls and Warriors played in a 7 game series, going back to the 90's rules, Bulls win easily, probably in 5. The Bulls level of physicality on the Warriors perimeter players would wear them down. Illegal defense would make it impossible for the Warriors to incorporate their current defensive schemes which dramatically affect their post defense. The Triangle would be unstoppable because you wouldn't be able to double as easily and Jordan would feast down low.

If the Bulls and Warriors played in a 7 games series using today's rules, I think the Warriors win in 7. The Bulls had three great individual defensive players in Jordan, Pippen and Rodman, but if you couldn't get physical with Steph or Klay, then they're still capable of going off at any time. The offensive schemes that Kerr has put in place emphasize much more movement and ball spacing that they would be able to create separation without the defense being able to hand check players. The defensive schemes are much more complex with being able to incorporate zone principles and could help negate a lot of what the Triangle offense tries to accomplish. It's a big reason why the Triangle is not as effective these days.

Reactions: LAD

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm thinking they would have a field day lol, especially the younger guys Butler and Leonard.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real question is:

Where is Steve Kerr? Playing for the Bulls or coaching the Warriors. Walton would have to take over and Kerr and the Bulls would absolutely destroy his own scheme :laugh3:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SportsLine.com
According to this, Bulls would win 52.4% of simulations. So pretty even. Interesting simulation.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO

If the Bulls and Warriors played in a 7 game series, going back to the 90's rules, Bulls win easily, probably in 5. The Bulls level of physicality on the Warriors perimeter players would wear them down. Illegal defense would make it impossible for the Warriors to incorporate their current defensive schemes which dramatically affect their post defense. The Triangle would be unstoppable because you wouldn't be able to double as easily and Jordan would feast down low.

If the Bulls and Warriors played in a 7 games series using today's rules, I think the Warriors win in 7. The Bulls had three great individual defensive players in Jordan, Pippen and Rodman, but if you couldn't get physical with Steph or Klay, then they're still capable of going off at any time. The offensive schemes that Kerr has put in place emphasize much more movement and ball spacing that they would be able to create separation without the defense being able to hand check players. The defensive schemes are much more complex with being able to incorporate zone principles and could help negate a lot of what the Triangle offense tries to accomplish. It's a big reason why the Triangle is not as effective these days.

The Kobe-Gasol Lakers triangle offense was pretty effective. The triangle offense is designed to have counters to whatever defense is thrown at it. The reason it is not effective these days is that no elite team with an all-time great player is running it. I highly doubt that those Bulls teams, with several seasons of triangle offense experience and success, would have any problems against current defenses.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden State only needs to go 31-5 the rest of the way to break the Bulls the record. They appear to want to do this. I don't see them slowing down towards the end of the season to preserve themselves for the playoffs.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden State only needs to go 31-5 the rest of the way to break the Bulls the record. They appear to want to do this. I don't see them slowing down towards the end of the season to preserve themselves for the playoffs.

I guess it all depends on if they stay healthy. It's been pretty remarkable still, that they haven't had many injuries. If someone goes down it could change things and maybe they play it safe down the stretch. As long as everyone stays healthy they have a good chance to do it. The only thing is if other teams are fighting just to get in the playoffs, will the Warriors have the same deserve but to get the record? We will see.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say that's probably because they only had 1 shooter (Reggie Miller) of that caliber compared to GS today with several high caliber shooters.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing by the no hand check rules if today, Jordan scores 50 a game..
And I would even go a step further and say with the defense from those days LBJ isn't the stud he is now.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they stay healthy I think they can do it.... That's a big if though.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone references the hand-check rule to show why Jordan would score 50 points a game today.

But everyone forgets that Zone Defense is now legal, whereas it wasn't years ago. Today it makes it much easier to have a big or an additional player hedge from the weakside to double. The defense today allows no hand-checks, but it allows easier access for double teams and defensive rotations, without getting called for illegal defense.

I guarantee if Jordan got the ball in the post, he would be instantly doubled or at the very least have an additional defender sag in his area.
Yea but to that point MJ got stronger because of the defense back then so my thought is he'd be able to withstand those doubles.

I think Curry would do ok because of his quick release.