• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2019 NFL Free Agency/Trade Thread

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again in hindsight I'm not saying he ended up with an atrocious contract now. Personally I think he could have done a lot better and lost a year to prove it. Use cousins as an example he paid his dues with a bad team and came out with a megadeal. Depends on your aspirations I guess but you have to respect cousins as some people don't even think he's that good! I believe bridge could have done the same thing in Miami. I think he plays just as well if not better than Fitz and they would have or someone would have paid him better than carolina as they are rebuilding.

But going back in time he didn't know any of this and it took some luck or he could have ended up in the same boat with no film and obviously less money. Face it playing helps a players value especially a QB's. This debate wasn't about just being set for life as all of those players do pretty damn well it was maximizing his value by playing versus sitting. I probably struck a cord because I called him a coward if I went too far I apologize but maybe he was concerned about his knee or something and thought safer to sit the year. Personally I take Miami, Carolina anywhere that I can start I'm glad that he's signed somewhere for his sake.
Cousin wasn't in a similar situation. He didn't sign a prove it contract as a free agent. He signed franchise tags contracts because he won't sign for under market value.
As for the coward comment, yes that struck a nerve. I truly believed Bridgewater wanted very much to sign with the Dolphins, but the terms offered were just to lopsided to the Dolphins side. All the risk was Bridgewaters. Had to really smart to have resign as Brees back up. However it wasn't by any means giving up on his career. He was just going soldier forward and keep working at his career to be a starter for a team. Yes he got some lucky break to be able to play, but was unlucky that Brees didn't retire IMO and like I said even without playing in those games he 1) has more money in his bank account. 2) Could go back in free agency at a time when more teams had openings, thus more opportunity.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I'll rephrase this to anyone giving him a semi-decent offer as obviously he would have taken a better offer especially from a contender. I didn't see anything out there personally but maybe I'm wrong. I also personally believe that if he had started a whole season and given the teams more tape he would have received far better offers. Its only common sense.
But he's not a great player. He's probably a decent game manager. He got the deal he deserved for the type of player he is. Doubt he gets much more if he played a full season for Miami.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No just telling it like it is. He chose to sit instead of start that's my basis of this debate. I believe that he lost money because he didn't seize the moment. Now he's fortunate to even have that offer from Carolina imagine if he didn't get 5 games to showcase himself. Do you honestly believe Carolina would have paid him what they did if he sat all season? Especially with a bum knee. I sure don't but all the power to you.
Probably not but I also think he was getting decent money and Brees is an old dude who could get hurt. I would have bet the over of, say, 1.5 before last season on games he'd play. Doubt he expected 5.

Then you could add he thought he'd play a few games in a better offense and one he is familiar with.

and here's a flash.....it worked. You are only guessing what could have happened in Miami.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure to some extent but if you are one of those coaches what's better:
A-The whole world sees a QB perform in a starting role.
B-You only have a scouting report since he's a backup and sign a QB to a massive starting deal and he fails.

I'm not sure about you but I'd take more stock in A and feel safer about not being fired if I'm wrong.
This is about Rosen only. You seem to think he doesn't get another shot because of what happened in past. I'm saying if he plays better than comp in practice it doesn't matter what he had done in the past. He can and probably would win the job.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually using foresight going back to when he made his decision. At that time playing behind brees he was signing up for the backup position. Unless you believe without a doubt that we all knew brees would get injured which is impossible...or that he would win the job somehow from brees which in my opinion is even more impossible.

Sure he could have went to the Fins and stunk it out but seeing what Fitz was able to accomplish I believe he could have done even better. He's the better player if healthy which seems to be the case. A season like Fitz's would have look real good for him especially doing it in Miami. But whatever he went a different path I believe he lost money you guys can believe that he did great made out like a bandit. Rebuilding carolina...I honestly hope he can play well there for his sake.
I believe he thought Brees is kind of old and could break down or suffer an injury and he'd rather play in a system he knows that is proven to be successful than go to a lowly team.

and...again....it worked. Miami is a maybe.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousin wasn't in a similar situation. He didn't sign a prove it contract as a free agent. He signed franchise tags contracts because he won't sign for under market value.
As for the coward comment, yes that struck a nerve. I truly believed Bridgewater wanted very much to sign with the Dolphins, but the terms offered were just to lopsided to the Dolphins side. All the risk was Bridgewaters. Had to really smart to have resign as Brees back up. However it wasn't by any means giving up on his career. He was just going soldier forward and keep working at his career to be a starter for a team. Yes he got some lucky break to be able to play, but was unlucky that Brees didn't retire IMO and like I said even without playing in those games he 1) has more money in his bank account. 2) Could go back in free agency at a time when more teams had openings, thus more opportunity.
I just used cousins situation to show how a QB could play even under non ideal circumstances and win big. He didn't have to sign the tag and forced a trade or something but he played and earned a huge payout.

We'll have to disagree on the rest...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he's not a great player. He's probably a decent game manager. He got the deal he deserved for the type of player he is. Doubt he gets much more if he played a full season for Miami.
Is cousins a great player? One could argue that bridge is every bit as good when healthy. time will tell I guess.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not but I also think he was getting decent money and Brees is an old dude who could get hurt. I would have bet the over of, say, 1.5 before last season on games he'd play. Doubt he expected 5.

Then you could add he thought he'd play a few games in a better offense and one he is familiar with.

and here's a flash.....it worked. You are only guessing what could have happened in Miami.
We're all somewhat guessing that's why no one should get their shorts tied in a knot. I'm just tying his success in Miami with what Fitz was able to do. I felt that way before Fitz even signed as this discussion started way back in time.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to debate in hindsight sure you can make somewhat of an argument that he didn't do horribly. But I've been discussing back in time and he was fortunate. I also think that if he didn't play those 5 games it was not a given that he would be handed over a starting gig especially at that salary. That's my point and I don't believe that I'm wrong.

You could also bring in Cousins he played for years on a horrible skins team and parlayed it into a massive contract. Sure worked out well for him. Yes there were risks but he got paid. I give the guy credit he chose to start for a bad team whereas bridge chose to sit.
You are mad he chose not to join your team...no more, no less.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nev
This is about Rosen only. You seem to think he doesn't get another shot because of what happened in past. I'm saying if he plays better than comp in practice it doesn't matter what he had done in the past. He can and probably would win the job.
Never said that he wouldn't get another shot but he sure wouldn't get anything close to starter money. People weren't even sure how his knee would hold up.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all somewhat guessing that's why no one should get their shorts tied in a knot. I'm just tying his success in Miami with what Fitz was able to do. I felt that way before Fitz even signed as this discussion started way back in time.
But what actually happened is not a guess. It happened.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he thought Brees is kind of old and could break down or suffer an injury and he'd rather play in a system he knows that is proven to be successful than go to a lowly team.

and...again....it worked. Miami is a maybe.
Sure he did he took the easy way out instead of going for the home run. That is the whole debate. I guess you didn't bother reading back in time...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong this was about a player making a decision. Believe me I would have loved to see what he could have done but I didn't lose any sleep either. The Fins weren't winning a bowl with him although if he proved he could play it would have removed a much needed position. I just don't understand how anyone could turn down a starting QB job in the NFL. That's just me they don't grow on trees like everyone seems to believe.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One could argue that, but it would be absurd IMO.
You think cousins is that good? Don't get me wrong he's not horrible but this is my point no one is truly confident in bridges ability as he hasn't show enough the past few years. People need proof. This is my point....

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what actually happened is not a guess. It happened.
As I said before go back and look when this thread started it was right after he signed with the saints. We were debating his decision then. I've also been debating that he could have done better if he actually took the Miami job. My opinion is that starting over sitting wins out almost every time. Very rare it doesn't as people love film.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong this was about a player making a decision. Believe me I would have loved to see what he could have done but I didn't lose any sleep either. The Fins weren't winning a bowl with him although if he proved he could play it would have removed a much needed position. I just don't understand how anyone could turn down a starting QB job in the NFL. That's just me they don't grow on trees like everyone seems to believe.
Maybe someone who is in the NFL might know better than you? Maybe he saw the tanking most expected to draft a QB high in the upcoming draft? Maybe, as I mentioned, he realized Brees is old and could go down for a game or 2 (doubt he expected 5)?

You just can't look past starting job vs. backup.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think cousins is that good? Don't get me wrong he's not horrible but this is my point no one is truly confident in bridges ability as he hasn't show enough the past few years. People need proof. This is my point....
Is he "that good" No, but he's a solid NFL starter. TB is OK, IMO. solid game manager might be his ceiling IMO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said before go back and look when this thread started it was right after he signed with the saints. We were debating his decision then. I've also been debating that he could have done better if he actually took the Miami job. My opinion is that starting over sitting wins out almost every time. Very rare it doesn't as people love film.
not bad film. And there is already film on him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I felt bad for Bridgewater. After rehabilitation of his knee, doing his time as a backup he’s a free agent and can try for a starting job. Bit of bad luck only one team had a opening, but on the bright side it was his hometown Dolphins and they invited him to Miami for a offer. Imagine how happy he must of felt flying to Miami. Big grin on his face, imagining how would feel starting in front of the home crowd. Then he got to the meeting and the Dolphins laying down a offer that was less then he got from the Jets ( 6 million plus 9 million in incentives) . Not only that, but if they wanted the Dolphins could keep him for a second year at this miserly rate of pay. Must of felt like a sucker punch to his gut. Kudos to him for not to settle for the deal. Went back to NO to start over again and wait yet another year.