• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ventura is a kid the Reds got trading their international pool money. They've gotten a couple players that way. When you're in the penalty and can't spend it, it makes sense to trade it for a prospect or two.

I see the club signed Ben Revere to a minor league deal. He's had a descent enough career and is only 29 years old.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Revere, the newest incarnation of Jason Bourgous.
It's not a terrible signing if Hamilton goes on the klutz. I'd rather not see Schebler playing CF.
Revere doesn't show a LOT of CF, though.
I'd wager he makes the club.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things I always liked going to spring training is seeing those players on the bubble and trying to guess who would make the team. I also liked the 75 to 80 degrees and bright sunshine. And lots of other things to do as well.
I haven't posted in a few days and I really don't know much about any of the guys trying to make the team. so I just thought I would throw that out there to be posting something and let everyone know I'm still here

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody have MLB.TV? Does that cover any of the ST schedule? I have the atbat app and listen to the radio broadcast when I'm out and about. Pretty good deal for $19.99 considering you can listen to any game you want all season.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things I always liked going to spring training is seeing those players on the bubble and trying to guess who would make the team. I also liked the 75 to 80 degrees and bright sunshine. And

For the most part all any of us know about half these guys is what we read. Easier to form an opinion if you can actually see them play. They say the back of the baseball card doesn't lie, but I don't know if that applies to every player. Injuries and age blur expectations.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see him pitch yesterday, but it sounded like Bob Stephenson wasn't very sharp. He had a neck issue that put him behind schedule and apparently that was the first time he faced a batter this spring. Usually pitchers will throw some live BP to work their way up to facing hitters in game situation. With competition being what it is Stephenson doesn't have any room for error moving forward.

I'm not sure Brandon Finnegan is on pace to make the rotation. Seems like they're babying him a bit in getting him in a game.

I think Disco makes his first appearance today.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody have MLB.TV? Does that cover any of the ST schedule? I have the atbat app and listen to the radio broadcast when I'm out and about. Pretty good deal for $19.99 considering you can listen to any game you want all season.
I have MLB.tv but I only buy the Reds, which is 90 bucks. The whole package is around $120. Going the cheaper route is more by design than cost. I remind myself that I need to do other things with my time than watch 15 games a week.

I don't know how much of the ST schedule I can watch but early on, it blacked me out on some game. The games are kind of OK to watch but there is so much yabbering in the dugout and along the sidelines that it's hard to follow the games. The Reds do a limited ST schedule on TV and a lot of their games are covered by the opposing team. The problem with that is they don't discuss the Reds players. Then again, the Reds announcers seem to be more interested in discussing golf and dining options than the players.

There is the archive so you can watch stuff that's a day old IF it was telecast. With ST, that's probably enough.

The At-bat app is a nice thing when I'm in the brewpub where we don't do sports TV.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only pitcher I saw at any length was Jose Lopez, who seems to have a couple of tools.
I think he's going to Pensacola this year.

The Oliver Perez signing was a bit of a puzzle. The guy is 36 years old. I guess he's going to plug in someplace.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought Oliver Perez was that good to begin with. I'd agree his signing is a bit of a head scratcher.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jose Lopez had a breakout year last season. IF he picks up where he left off it won't be long before he's in the mix.

There's a log jam of pitchers between AA and the Majors. The worst thing that can happen is to let some of them rot on the vine. I know I keep saying the same thing, but they need to trade a few before there's no value remaining.

I don't think the Reds coaching staff has a lot of confidence in Robert Stephenson. There's always a team out there that thinks they can fix a guy like Stephenson. Sometimes a change of scenery can make the difference. Hang onto him too long and you end up waiving him.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought Oliver Perez was that good to begin with. I'd agree his signing is a bit of a head scratcher.
I guess he can be a Loogy, a position on a baseball team that's akin to the water boy on the football team being the No. 3 man on the depth charts being the holder on field goal attempts.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume Disco's arm and ribcage don't need attention.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was LHP tryout day yesterday. Four LH relievers got in the game. Mixed results, mostly poor.

Cody Reed two appearances, two losses. He may be the big loser come cut time.

Oliver Perez was awful his first time out.

Kyle Crockett pitched a scoreless inning, but allowed two base runners.

Joe Mantiply pitched one third of an inning and gave up a hit to a LHB.

Wandy Peralta didn't pitch, but was terrible his first time out.

Brandon Finnegan is scheduled to pitch in a scrimmage game today. I could see the lack of quality LH bullpen performers pushing Finnegan to the pen. Some comments I've heard from Bryan Price make it sound like that was being considered all along.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fairly obvious case of having 8 or 9 guys trying for rotation spots and another 8 or 9 trying to make the bullpen. The depth chart only shows the guys on the roster. I think Crockett will make the club. Perez might as well if somebody gets hurt. Finnegan needs to re-start his career, I think. He might be up to that task. I think they will stick with Cody Reed as long as they can.

Amir Garrett could make the team as a starter.

If assuming Mahle starts the year at Triple-A, Castillo, Homer, Romano and Disco are the front 4. I would not be shocked to see Stephenson on the DFA list.

Iggy, Hughes, Peralta, Lorenzen and Hernandez are 5 in the pen.

I don't see a big gap in the talent levels here. I suppose there's enough depth to make this a contender but there are a lot of guys who are still pretty low on the learning curve.

Price has confused me in the past. Talk about Lorenzen in the rotation seems to have waned, I suppose the healthy Disco would cause that.

If they decide to use something of a 6-man rotation, they can get Garrett, Disco and Finny the time to gradually build up their innings. Why do I just know the front office is going to shove this off as a "building" year, leaving the "re" off the front of it?

Senzel at shortstop?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lorenzen may not be quite ready to start.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please say Vance Worley is not going to take up a space on the roster.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lorenzen may have just punched his ticket to the bullpen. Lorenzen has been vocal about wanting the opportunity and the Reds gave it to him. Now we'll see if he performs or whines if he's back in the pen.

That's a problem I see with a few of the Reds' prospects. They whine in the press about what they want their role to be. News Break!!! Your role is help the team win. Fans are tired of losing and the players should be too.

Brandon Finnegan has been doing the same thing.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amir Garrett is making a strong case. He may force his way into the rotation if he keeps it up. Does he go to AAA if he doesn't make the rotation?

I think Kyle Crockett making the club is dependent on Brandon Finnegan and Wandy. If Finnegan ends up in the pen and/or Wandy struggles Kyle Crockett is the next LHP in line.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can they really stash Garrett in Louisville again? Dunno ... maybe he becomes the closer.

We may be expecting that Hernandez and Hughes are fit to pitch in a competitive season. Maybe, maybe not.
But I think all pitchers who were ever starters assert they'd like to be that again. I think it's only when it comes down to September in a pennant race that they learn to accept where they are ... "I just wanna help the team any way I can" ... in March, they don't need to concede that as much.
With all pitchers, I just wait for the day when they come out after "tweaking" something and end up on the DL, first for 10 days, then 60, then 510.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amir Garrett doesn't need to go to AAA, but neither do most of the rotation candidates. Most of them have nothing to prove in AAA, but the numbers dictate someone has to be in AAA. I'm not a fan of SP being put in the Major League bullpen unless that's their longterm role. It burns service time and stunts growth IMO.

I'd agree most pitchers would like to start, but if a pitcher would like to discuss his role he should be doing it in the managers office and not in an interview with the beat writers.