• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seahawks vs Lions Week 2

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are they doing with njigba? seemed like half his catches so far this year have been behind the line of scrimmage, the rest have been short passes. do they not trust him to run a real route?

we should have taken defense and draft nacua, in the 4th round. he is looking like BY FAR the best rookie WR

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great win, definitely unexpected given how terrible we looked on both sides last week. My takeaways:
  • Geno was 32/41 (78%), 328 yds, 2 TDs, 0 turnovers. This was in spite of starting with both OTs out of the game and then losing the starting center. He was not perfect, but he played a really good game. You wouldn't know that by the comments from some people in here -- almost like they've just decided to be critical no matter what is actually happening on the field -- but the truth is he was a big reason this team won the game. Hate away.
  • Overall impressive debut for Devon Witherspoon. He can be fairly criticized on the flea flicker TD, but we also don't know what coverage was called. Diggs may have been out of position and also bit on the fake. Witherspoon made some good plays and looked fast with good instincts.
  • The commitment to the passes either behind the LOS or 2-3 yards beyond is baffling. I fully expect it to continue and would love to get a back-room explanation of why they stick with it as well as why they think it's hardly ever resulting in a positive play.
  • After 7 quarters of impotence, the pass rush finally started to get home. Probably helped by some injuries on their side, but it was refreshing to see. Good things happen when you pressure QBs, especially Goff.
  • Has the milk soured with Jason Myers? I won't kill him for the 56 yarder, but that's still a makeable kick indoors. He's already missed as many as he did all of last year (3). Had we lost this game, we would be pointing to those 6 points not scored as a big reason why.
  • We need more physicality and aggressiveness in the box to give a better chance of holding up on some of these 3rd & mediums that seem so easy for our opponent to convert. Hopefully Jamal Adams can help there.
For sure expected to get run off the field here, so a big credit to the team for being ready and turning out a way better effort than a week ago. On to Carolina.
My thoughts on your takeaways:
  • I agree that Geno had a good game.
  • Not sure how I feel about Witherspoon's debut. I will say that the touchdown he allowed on the flea flicker TD was just a rookie mistake. He bit on the run and actually made a fairly decent recovery despite giving up the TD.
  • All the short passes make complete sense to me. We're out two tackles and the backups are not exactly inspiring. The Seahawks ran a bunch of play action, run, short passes and screens so that Geno didn't get murdered out there.
  • Don't really know what's going on with the pass rush. I think it's mostly a product of having a poorly constructed defensive line.
  • Myers track record is good enough that I'm willing to give him a pass for now.
  • The issue starts up front. We paid big money for an average player in Dre'mont Jones likely hoping that he'll continue an upward trajectory. Jarran Reed and Mario Edwards are both replacement level players. The depth behind them all consists of inexperienced players.
Overall I'm happy we rebounded. We looked so fucking bad against the Rams I didn't think we'd have a prayer in this game.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are they doing with njigba? seemed like half his catches so far this year have been behind the line of scrimmage, the rest have been short passes. do they not trust him to run a real route?

we should have taken defense and draft nacua, in the 4th round. he is looking like BY FAR the best rookie WR
Seahawks emphasizing short passing game. With both our starting tackles out being replaced by a UDFA and a 6th round draft pick they schemed the offense to get the ball out quickly. I thought Shane Waldron called a great game given the personnel issues.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on your takeaways:
  • I agree that Geno had a good game.
Yep, it's ok even for those people who don't think he's a good player to admit he played a good game. It won't hurt a bit and doesn't mean they can't still think he's not a good player. Some are struggling with it.
  • All the short passes make complete sense to me. We're out two tackles and the backups are not exactly inspiring. The Seahawks ran a bunch of play action, run, short passes and screens so that Geno didn't get murdered out there.
Could be the case. As it became more clear that the OL wasn't getting destroyed, it seemed we opened things up a bit.
Overall I'm happy we rebounded. We looked so fucking bad against the Rams I didn't think we'd have a prayer in this game.
For sure. And now I don't know what to believe -- are we the team that looked like Jerry's Kids vs Rams or the one that figured it out today? Maybe neither, but getting the W is a relief.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno absolutely redeemed himself in that overtime. Overall he did a pretty good job avoiding the rush most of the game and completed several tight window throws.

His worst problems that game came from taking too long to get plays off.

He didn't play well in game 1, but very few on that team did. Half the league looked like shit. The 3 game preseason with vets getting nearly no real play time just doesn't work very well if you want quality games week 1.

I still doubt this is a playoff team, but it has nothing to do with Geno. This defense just has too many issues. Goff really bailed them out with that horrible throw that went right into brown's chest.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks emphasizing short passing game. With both our starting tackles out being replaced by a UDFA and a 6th round draft pick they schemed the offense to get the ball out quickly. I thought Shane Waldron called a great game given the personnel issues.
why are they conflating "getting it out quickly" with "throwing it 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage"?
this did it against the rams as well. they did it in the preseason.
let him run down field for fucks sake.

the first play on this clip for example:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lmfao!

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we got the win but there was sloppiness where our team should have executed better. The game should have been over the moment we had the INT for a TD (up 10) with 6 minutes left in the 4th. The defense giving up a TD with 3 minutes left was terrible. To me what was worse was when the offense got the ball with 3 minutes left and ended up shaving only 1 minute off the club

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we got the win but there was sloppiness where our team should have executed better. The game should have been over the moment we had the INT for a TD (up 10) with 6 minutes left in the 4th. The defense giving up a TD with 3 minutes left was terrible. To me what was worse was when the offense got the ball with 3 minutes left and ended up shaving only 1 minute off the club

This has always been an issue for the Hawks under PC. They go into questionable defensive schemes and run weird offensive plays that never seem to work. Granted, we if Parkinson doesn't get called for the OPI, then things could have been very different.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle's D still looks terrible. 3 forced turnovers to our 0 and we barely squeaked out the win (because if Lions win the coin toss they probably win).

I know the Lions are a decent team, so a win is a win, but it seems like unless we score 30 every game and Geno plays lights out football, we're losing. Will be really interesting to see how we handle the Panthers and their crap offense. Hopefully we get Mafe back quickly, Taylor seems lost out there.

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle's D still looks terrible. 3 forced turnovers to our 0 and we barely squeaked out the win (because if Lions win the coin toss they probably win).

I know the Lions are a decent team, so a win is a win, but it seems like unless we score 30 every game and Geno plays lights out football, we're losing. Will be really interesting to see how we handle the Panthers and their crap offense. Hopefully we get Mafe back quickly, Taylor seems lost out there.
maybe a DL instead of a WR in the draft would have helped.

A. It's 2 games
B. Nuqua doesn't have to compete for targets with Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf
C. It's 2 games.
so we didnt need to use a 1st rounder on a WR then, did we? meanwhile our DL is a joke that took 6 quarters to finally get their first sack.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15 catches today, 10 last week?
Njigba has 8 and a 6 something average?
They also don't have DK and Lockett on their team... Along w/ running a different offense... I honestly thought you were joking/being sarcastic with her initial post about JSN... But apparently you're serious...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also don't have DK and Lockett on their team... Along w/ running a different offense... I honestly thought you were joking/being sarcastic with her initial post about JSN... But apparently you're serious...
right, we have perfectly good WRs and TEs, yet we threw away a 1st round pick on a WR when we needed DL help. its just more head scratching draft picks

Along w/ running a different offense..
waldron was the passing game coordinator for the rams for how many years? we cant run the same routes that he ran there?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JSN will be okay. He's tied for the 2nd most targets on the team. I'd like to push him downfield more, though. I loved the JSN pick because Lockett was injured last year and we had no viable 3rd down option... maybe they're easing JSN into things, he did basically miss all of last season in NCAA.

I was more upset we took Witherspoon... although I gotta say that kid is a sound tackler. I also appreciate that even though he got beat for a TD on the flicker he immediately knew it and during the play you could tell he was pissed at himself. He did catch back up to the receiver as well... it was just too late.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JSN will be okay. He's tied for the 2nd most targets on the team. I'd like to push him downfield more, though. Dunno what it is with Seattle but this team can't run a screen to save their lives.
we took a CB #5 to play the slot and a WR at #20 to throw him 2 yard passes.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so we didnt need to use a 1st rounder on a WR then, did we? meanwhile our DL is a joke that took 6 quarters to finally get their first sack.

I dunno. Maybe. The part that was ridiculous is your claim that we should have taken Nucua instead of JSN because of Nucua's stats after 2 games. That's just silly. 175 players were taken before Nacua and maybe don't assume he would be doing as well for the Seahawks as he has done for the Rams in 2 games.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we took a CB #5 to play the slot and a WR at #20 to throw him 2 yard passes.

Yup. The entire reason why they drafted JSN is so they could throw 2 yard passes to him.