• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seahawks vs Lions Week 2

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone believe that we drafted him to play nickle for his entire career? I believe they were going to start him there because at the time, Woolen was a lock and Michael Jackson was on fire at the other position... I believe they were going to put him at nickle to ease him into things before making him a starting DB... I don't believe for a minute that they only drafted him to play nickel...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone believe that we drafted him to play nickle for his entire career? I believe they were going to start him there because at the time, Woolen was a lock and Michael Jackson was on fire at the other position... I believe they were going to put him at nickle to ease him into things before making him a starting DB... I don't believe for a minute that they only drafted him to play nickel...

If Witherspoon turns into the player that Pete envisions, he is going to play both on the outside and the slot throughout his career.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Witherspoon turns into the player that Pete envisions, he is going to play both on the outside and the slot throughout his career.
I believe he will be following the opposing teams best receiver during the games if he turns out to be Pete envisioned from him. Kinda like J Ramsey did with DK

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whole career, who knows? but according to greg bell they drafted him to play the slot and shore up the run D which makes absolutely no sense to use a top 5 pick that way when there is a POTENTIAL generational talent at DT.
We've had bad draft classes as well as good ones. Last year was amazing, and this might end up being the same but it's simply way too early to tell.
theyve had good drafts, but rarely make good picks in round 1 even in their best drafts. 2012 was a historic draft, but bruce irvin in round 1 was very meh.
JSN averaged 7 yds per catch yesterday on 5 snags, which is still low but also a jump over week 1. We are still only talking about 2 games here, so we really don't know what his season is going to look like.
but why? we could run those plays to undrafted bobo and probably get the same production.
I'd rather listen to someone always be positive than listen to someone who is always negative... Who ya going to respect more? I'm sure behind closed doors Carroll has 1 on 1 conversations with players/coaches critiquing their play and coaching while providing feedback...
im not knocking it, im merely saying take it with a grain of salt. we have no idea what he really thinks. he even said the PI Call was a great play on his part, which is kind of ridiculous.
With regards to JSN, I'm not really sure who they could have taken that would have been a dramatic impact player on defense. Mazi Smith? Brian Bresee? Maybe but far from a lock. There is a reasonable argument that, given the structure of this team, we are better off building an elite offense and hoping you get a little lucky on D.
they have really only had two good picks on the DL with frank clark being the other one. 14 drafts, only 2 worthwhile DL. thats pitiful, just horrific. yet they have consistently found good WRs and DBs all throughout the draft.

its a serious error that they dont recognize that and correct it by prioritizing spending high picks on that position instead of on positions they have had success drafting (and werent needs) in later rounds. pretty much every other team puts a premium on DL.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whole career, who knows? but according to greg bell they drafted him to play the slot and shore up the run D which makes absolutely no sense to use a top 5 pick that way when there is a POTENTIAL generational talent at DT.

Obviously they had concerns with Carter. Maybe those concerns were wrong. But only time will tell with that. That Greg Bell column was about Pete trying Witherspoon at nickel in camp and OTAs. Corners that can play inside and outside effectively are pretty rare. It's bizarre that you you are portraying as nothing more than a nickel corner. It's particularly weird given that Witherspoon played outside for the entire game on Sunday.

they have really only had two good picks on the DL with frank clark being the other one. 14 drafts, only 2 worthwhile DL. thats pitiful, just horrific. yet they have consistently found good WRs and DBs all throughout the draft.

its a serious error that they dont recognize that and correct it by prioritizing spending high picks on that position instead of on positions they have had success drafting (and werent needs) in later rounds. pretty much every other team puts a premium on DL.

Remember when they picked Collier and McDowell because they "needed" defensive linemen? Those worked out really well.

They've drafted as many OL and DL with their first pick as all other positions combined. I don't think you can reasonably argue that they don't prioritize the line.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams is a full go for normal practice this week. Should be be fully go to play, is he likely to be a positive or a negative for the defense, and how long did he play this time before he gets injured again.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams is a full go for normal practice this week. Should be be fully go to play, is he likely to be a positive or a negative for the defense, and how long did he play this time before he gets injured again.

I don't know what the hell Carroll and Norton did to Adams, but he was basically one of the best safeties in the league until Seattle got their hands on him. He was amazing in coverage with the Jets and then immediately started sucking in Seattle for seemingly no reason at all other than the scheme he was put in. We didn't pay him ridiculous cash when he immediately got here so he was still trying for a payday.

We do need him back though because Love has looked God awful (although again, maybe that's scheme).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what the hell Carroll and Norton did to Adams, but he was basically one of the best safeties in the league until Seattle got their hands on him. He was amazing in coverage with the Jets and then immediately started sucking in Seattle for seemingly no reason at all other than the scheme he was put in. We didn't pay him ridiculous cash when he immediately got here so he was still trying for a payday.

We do need him back though because Love has looked God awful (although again, maybe that's scheme).

He was a huge impact player when he first joined the team in 2020. Set a record for sacks by a safety.

In 2021 they used him differently as more a traditional safety. He wound up with 2 picks and 5 PDs but, IMO, that probably isn't the best use of him.

Who the hell knows what he will be this year given he basically hasn't played for 2 years?

Neither Love or Diggs have looked great so far. PFF rates Diggs as our worst performing player to date. I would say that a big part of that is the complete lack of interior pass rush.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when they picked Collier and McDowell because they "needed" defensive linemen? Those worked out really well.
Don't forget about, Marcus Tubbs... Only played in the NFL for 4 years... In 4 seasons only played in 28 games...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget about, Marcus Tubbs... Only played in the NFL for 4 years... In 4 seasons only played in 28 games...

Exactly. I'm fine with them going with the best player available rather than trying to put a square peg in a round hole with a need pick.

What matters more is finding good players. If Witherspoon and JSN turn into Pro Bowlers, I don't really care about what other players we could have taken.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Adams plays this week. They will be really cautious about getting him back. He probably needs a few weeks of practice anyway since he hasn't played in over a year.

There is potential for him to contribute right away, but many odds good teammates have never played with him or at least not in a long time. So there is potential for mistakes and communication issues costing them plays. Likely short term problems, but still hopefully doesn't cost them any games.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Adams plays this week. They will be really cautious about getting him back. He probably needs a few weeks of practice anyway since he hasn't played in over a year.

There is potential for him to contribute right away, but many odds good teammates have never played with him or at least not in a long time. So there is potential for mistakes and communication issues costing them plays. Likely short term problems, but still hopefully doesn't cost them any games.

Yeah. I could see him playing some but limited role stuff. But I would expect he won't be on the active roster for Sunday.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I could see him playing some but limited role stuff. But I would expect he won't be on the active roster for Sunday.
Pete said he'll be going 100% (letting him loose) this week at practice... He said that this was the week they planned to let him loose and this was the week they planned to see if he was ready to play in week 3... Carroll said it could still be week 4 before we see his debut... Depends how things go this week...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a holmgren pick, and he was a stud until he blew out his knee.

They've drafted as many OL and DL with their first pick as all other positions combined. I don't think you can reasonably argue that they don't prioritize the line.
theyve been terrible overall picking DL and OL outside of basically 4 players. okung and cross were no brainer obvious picks though, so I guess I give them credit for not fucking those up.
its just a shame they didnt take the obvious no brainer DL when they had the chance.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete said he'll be going 100% (letting him loose) this week at practice... He said that this was the week they planned to let him loose and this was the week they planned to see if he was ready to play in week 3... Carroll said it could still be week 4 before we see his debut... Depends how things go this week...

Yeah. Pete is always optimistic but if you put a gun to his head he would probably say they plan for him to be ready for Week 4.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a holmgren pick, and he was a stud until he blew out his knee.

theyve been terrible overall picking DL and OL outside of basically 4 players. okung and cross were no brainer obvious picks though, so I guess I give them credit for not fucking those up.
its just a shame they didnt take the obvious no brainer DL when they had the chance.

I agree. But, as I said, that ultimately boils down to whether they thought he was too risky. Hopefully they made that decision based on risk and not because they felt that they were all set at DT, which I can't believe they thought back in April, or even now.

For me, it's about them not being too cute and drafting way outside of consensus. That has proven to be a bad approach for years.

Once they took Carter off the board, it came down to Witherspoon or Gonzales as there were no other players that would have made sense for the Hawks at No. 5.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Pete is always optimistic but if you put a gun to his head he would probably say they plan for him to be ready for Week 4.
That's what i'm thinking... I would expect him to play by week 5 but my guess it will be week 4...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is what happened, He got paid.