• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MI snags Bama OC

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two years.

I'm surprised not longer. You don't think he might be Hoke's replacement if the next season is deemed a failure by Michigan standards? Or are you saying he will be the OC for two years and then replace Hoke?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised not longer. You don't think he might be Hoke's replacement if the next season is deemed a failure by Michigan standards? Or are you saying he will be the OC for two years and then replace Hoke?

I thought about that and could be a possibility because he is leaving Bama for the same job in Michigan...?

I love Michigan but we are not Bama, bottom line though, he just hasn't stayed anywhere that long. As I understand it he is getting paid, which is pretty cool and about time Michigan starts spending money where it matters.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said multiple times. We didn't have much for quarterbacks ever. I have said many, many, many, many times that it will not be long til Michigan State is back to the middle of the pack of the Big Ten and Michigan will be back for fighting for conference championships. But Hoke will not be the guy who will lead you to that. But all of Michigan guys get your panties in a bunch if anyone suggestions you guys are not the greatest football team now and ever. I said that Morris was sick, I thought it was mono but was not 100% on it. When he did play, he wasn't great. Is there something wrong with saying that a Michigan quarterback wasn't great? Apparently so. Would you have said that Threet was a great quarterback? Sheridan? Forcier? Robinson? Gardner? If you thought they were great quarterbacks then more power to you. Henne was a great college quarterback and very talented but has been stuck with some really bad pro football teams.

Honestly, I don't think it has to "be Hoke" that gets Michigan football back on track. If the correct coordinators, positional coaches, conditioning coaches, and players are in place, Hoke simply needs to pat people on the back and be the face of the program. Hoke's not a great X's and O's guy like Saban and Dantonio. But he's a solid recruiter and likeable coach.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the offense rolls then so does Nuss, right on out to his next gig (Hoke won't retire anytime soon). Someone will offer Nuss a HC spot. If the offense sputters then I believe the entire staff is gone. Now if the struggles are on the defensive side of the ball, then either Mattison needs to retire, imo, or Nuss could get promoted, when Hoke is fired.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't think it has to "be Hoke" that gets Michigan football back on track. If the correct coordinators, positional coaches, conditioning coaches, and players are in place, Hoke simply needs to pat people on the back and be the face of the program. Hoke's not a great X's and O's guy like Saban and Dantonio. But he's a solid recruiter and likeable coach.

Hoke is an amazing recruiter, I would love to have someone like that on my team's coaching staff. I don't know how he does it. If he is throwing hookers at kids, schmoozing the parents, or what but it is not just the Block M because Rich Rod was not pulling in the talent that Hoke is, but they were still top 25 classes (not as high as a program should be bringing in).

Speaking with a Michigan fan at my work, he thinks the biggest problem with the defense is the cushion that the corners are giving off the line. Why, who knows. Unfortunately it might be because the players at those positions are either not as fast or as talented and they have to do that in order to not get burned deep. Fixing the defense will help out the offense by getting them more touches on the ball in better field positions. Michigan needs a more pass friendly OC with the reasonably bad play in recent years from the running backs. Fixing the offense line will be a huge help as well, and for your sake you better hope he brings in a great line coach.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone hates "cushion" from corners... but it's a very general thing to bitch about... Hell, MSU played a lot of "soft" coverage to the field side and it worked out perfectly fine for them...

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it's that, it's more like the stereotypical "we didn't want X person anyway" after person X chooses another school. It happens all the time in coaching searches and recruiting. I think it would have more weight if we heard more about your deep desire to change offensive coordinators prior to your OC leaving for another school.
I would be inclined to agree with you, except for the fact that Bama didn't try in any way, it appears, to keep him. In the past they've thrown money at people they wanted to keep. Personally, I think it is a mistake. There is no guarantee that they new guy will be better. Bama fans just assume the next guy will be better, or will work out. It just isn't always the case. Could be very interesting. I think it is more of a "grass is greener" reaction, than a "no, I broke up with her first " reaction.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allegedly, it was a mutual parting of ways...

Bamaonline is reporting that the Nussmeier departure mainly had to do with his and Saban's chemistry during a game. The article is behind their paywall so I do not want to copy/paste the info.

Basically, Nick Saban and other members of the staff greatly respected Nussmeier's football IQ and offensive schemes. However, Nick Saban during games can get extraordinarily heated and constantly question playcalls. Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fischer, and Jim McElwain could handle this well; Doug Nussmeier not so much. Nussmeier was unable to read and relate to Saban during games causing them to not be on the same page during intense moments.

The departure was mutual and there is no "bad-blood" between him and Saban or anyone else on the staff.

So Michigan is clearly a perfect fit, as Hoke doesn't even talk to his assistants during the game...

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bamaonline is reporting that the Nussmeier departure mainly had to do with his and Saban's chemistry during a game. The article is behind their paywall so I do not want to copy/paste the info.

Basically, Nick Saban and other members of the staff greatly respected Nussmeier's football IQ and offensive schemes. However, Nick Saban during games can get extraordinarily heated and constantly question playcalls. Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fischer, and Jim McElwain could handle this well; Doug Nussmeier not so much. Nussmeier was unable to read and relate to Saban during games causing them to not be on the same page during intense moments.

The departure was mutual and there is no "bad-blood" between him and Saban or anyone else on the staff.

So Michigan is clearly a perfect fit, as Hoke doesn't even talk to his assistants during the game...

lol

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone hates "cushion" from corners... but it's a very general thing to bitch about... Hell, MSU played a lot of "soft" coverage to the field side and it worked out perfectly fine for them...

With the exception of Blake Countess, MSU had much better secondary play, the past few seasons. Part of that Michigan CB cushion this year was to help protect young, inexperienced, and somewhat average safeties and part of it was scheme.

Though just a true freshman going into 2014, Jabrill Peppers should be a solid DB for Michigan from day 1. I also expect Dymonte Thomas to emerge in the secondary. Michigan's DLine needs to step up in a big way. The LB depth doesn't look too shabby....not great. ..but not shabby. If Mattison can't get this group to function then it's time he called it a career.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just keep the moms happy, Hoke. Let your coordinators do the rest:

Photo: Brady Hoke Certainly Ate Plenty At Dinner With Recruit Bryan Mone?s Family | College Spun ? Social. Local. Consumable. College Sports.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be impressive to see. When is Michigan going to get a talented QB? You haven't had one of those since RR ran Ryan Mallett down to Arkansas. :suds:
I think it is interesting to point out that Nuss recruited Morris to try and get him to go to Alabama.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it's that, it's more like the stereotypical "we didn't want X person anyway" after person X chooses another school. It happens all the time in coaching searches and recruiting. I think it would have more weight if we heard more about your deep desire to change offensive coordinators prior to your OC leaving for another school.

If you look around some, game threads and such, you'll see that most Bama fans here (if not all) wanted Nuss gone. Not because he is a bad OC, he's good. He just passed way too much for our style of football. Look at the Sugar Bowl. Yeldon fumbles the ball once (after our OL stripped the ball from him :L) but Nuss abandons the run for the rest of the half after that.

We go into half down 14. 3rd quarter starts and the defense steps up and starts flying around despite having 2 or 3 starters out in the secondary. I believe we held them to 1 TD in second half (their defensive score doesn't count against the D). AJ threw a pick 6 in the first half. So there is 14 points the defense didn't give up. Don't blame the defense.

Anyways, back to Nuss. Defense does its job in the second half. Nuss finally starts playing Derek Henry more in the second half and he runs the ball and guess what, OU can't stop Henry. But he abandons the run again in favor of the pass. We did NOT run one play action play in second half. That is what Bama does. We had plenty of chances to score and win the second half and win the game because the defense did its job. The offense didn't.

I wish Nuss nothing but the best. But forget records and personal awards, its about winning at Alabama and winning Championships. And the play calling was just not what our team needed. Hence, why we didn't try to keep him. Good luck :suds:

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is interesting to point out that Nuss recruited Morris to try and get him to go to Alabama.

Well duh, almost everyone tried to recruit Morris if they ran something even remotely close to a pro style system... He WAS a 5 star QB...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be interested to see how much he's being paid at Michigan compared to what he was making at Bama... Bama assistants are notoriously well paid, and nothing against Michigan, but this move just seems like a lateral move AT BEST...

Does he have some sort of ties to Michigan that I'm unaware of?

Sorry if this has been answered already, I'm reading and catching up. But this is the most telling part that Alabama didn't want him.

Alabama paying him: $680,000
Michigan Raise: $850,000

If we wanted to keep him, we would have.

Kirby Smart Salary: 1.3 million

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well duh, almost everyone tried to recruit Morris if they ran something even remotely close to a pro style system... He WAS a 5 star QB...

Actually, not true at all. He only had offers from a few other schools because he committed to Michigan so early and was so high on Michigan. I'm sure more would have offered but Alabama was one of the other major schools to ignore his love for Michigan and actually recruit him.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, not true at all. He only had offers from a few other schools because he committed to Michigan so early and was so high on Michigan. I'm sure more would have offered but Alabama was one of the other major schools to ignore his love for Michigan and actually recruit him.

Despite the fact that I have a family member who is a football coach there, FUCK DE LA SALLE!!!! I hate those pricks. Every single sport they are very stuck up and have this sense of entitlement.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if this has been answered already, I'm reading and catching up. But this is the most telling part that Alabama didn't want him.

Alabama paying him: $680,000
Michigan Raise: $850,000

If we wanted to keep him, we would have.

Kirby Smart Salary: 1.3 million

Michigan could have countered with a higher number. Bank on it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama might not have wanted Nussmeier but if they want Lane Kiffin it's a moot point. No matter how you spin it Nussmeier > Kiffin.