• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Title IX Cheats: Bama, Clemson, tOSU, OU, Michigan and #1 Wisconsin

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of you knew that the Crimson Tide of Alabama is an affiliate member of the Big XII Conference? Yep. Women's rowing. :clap:

So is Tennessee.

I knew.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small team at Auburn. The women there hate water.

If I was a mean-spirited SOB I would probably say something like: "Auburn's whores prefer horses to oars." But since I'm not that kind of person, I won't say that.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting (and defiant) Title IX approach by Clemmy and Bama
Football schools like Alabama and Clemson use massive women's rowing rosters for gender equity

Given the number of rowers some schools report, it’s doubtful many will ever see a meaningful opportunity to compete on the varsity level. In fact, it appears many of the women counted as rowers are only briefly on the team and some never set foot in a boat at all.The University of Alabama and Clemson University clearly stand today at the pinnacle of college football, having split the last four national championships.

But the schools also share another distinction in college athletics: massive teams of women’s rowers.

In 2018, Alabama reported to the federal government it had 120 women participating in the sport. Clemson had a rowing team of 104.

Those schools don’t even have the largest rowing squads, and they also aren’t alone. An examination of athletic participation data suggests many big-time football schools are sporting large rowing rosters, which can help them stay in compliance with the federal gender equity law known as Title IX.

Michigan reported 132 women’s rowers in 2018. The figures were 110 at Ohio State, 101 at Texas and 93 at Oklahoma. Iowa had a sizable squad at 91. But no school could rival Wisconsin and its eye-popping roster of 176 — almost triple the size of the average NCAA squad.

Women’s athletic advocates say the schools’ out-sized rowing teams bear scrutiny under Title IX.

In most cases, the rosters are inflated by large numbers of “novice” rowers — women recruited from the general student body to give the sport a try. As long as those rookies are still on the roster by the time of the team’s first competition, the schools can officially count them as female athletes.
I have zero problem with the universities doing this. They found a loophole to lessen the burden/damage.

while I support women's teams/sports, the fact is, they can't pay for themselves. All women's programs are paid for by men's football and basketball. Not to mention that for decades some men's programs had to be cut to help even out for the "equity factor". Even though there was more interest in that particular men's team vs. the women's program that didn't have the same amount of interest/participation.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero problem with the universities doing this. They found a loophole to lessen the burden/damage.

while I support women's teams/sports, the fact is, they can't pay for themselves. All women's programs are paid for by men's football and basketball. Not to mention that for decades some men's programs had to be cut to help even out for the "equity factor". Even though there was more interest in that particular men's team vs. the women's program that didn't have the same amount of interest/participation.

Yup.

It’s 2022

Fundraise and pay for your own shit

It’s not equitable to have the men pay for it or to discrimaibre against other sports solely because men play them

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 301094

Better than rowing, we added Beach Volleyball. If you're against women's beach volleyball you have problems.

I was doing client work and found a stat that said that like 60% of beach volleyball players never played it until college

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I hadn't heard that.

Yeah I mean it’s really just indoor volleyball players who didn’t have varsity beach volleyball as a sport

I’m sure the woke states will start cracking down on it soon enough

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading through this thread, it seems no one asked the question whether the women had to be on scholarship or not? I always thought that to count towards Title IX, an athlete had to be on scholarship. Football programs used to have huge rosters, too, then the NCAA stepped in and put restrictions on how many players could be on scholarship, how many could dress, how many could travel with teams, etc.. If women's rowing enthusiasts and/or participants come to believe the Wisconsins or Michigans or Alabamas of the Rowing world are gaining an unfair advantage over their opponents by having such huge rosters, they'll complain to the NCAA and the NCAA might have to do something about it. But without knowing much about women's rowing, I don't think any of the teams mentioned with bloated rosters are out performing the top teams in the country, and so why nothing has changed.

Seems the author of this article may possibly not understand that it's the # of scholarships, not the # of players allowed to participate that matters to Title IX, or maybe I am wrong about this, but I doubt it, because no way the ladies/people who care about this who are keeping schools in compliance would allow a school just to open up a sport for participation in order to count towards Title IX compliance without the scholarship money going to those participants. And I know wrestling utilitizes half and partial scholarships to allow teams to expand their rosters some, and it's done by most schools, if not all, within certain regulations, just like football. I've never heard of any football programs doing it, so my guess is it's not allowed in football, and maybe not as needed? So it's very possible that schools do the same with Rowing, give out half or partial scholarships to more women Rowers, instead of just full scholarships. If many of the participants have no experience to start with, it's a way of spreading out the scholarship money at a lesser risk of wasting a full scholarship on some woman who never figures out how to row right or whatever?

When I first saw the headline, I was a little irked, but after reading through the comments in the thread, I think I agree with the majority that it's no big deal, just a way for football schools to give Title IX and the whole equity gang the middle finger, so I say good for them. I'd personally prefer some schools like Michigan start up women's hockey instead, because it's actually an entertaining sport, or better yet, start up beach volleyball programs, who would ever complain about more women's volleyball? Start up women's curling teams and women's bowling teams? Every town has a local bowling alley, how much would it cost to have a women's bowling team? lol A lot less than building Rowing facilities. Every university could build their own campus bowling alley, that general students could enjoy using when the women's teams weren't practicing. This is a sport the women could actually go on to make money competing in after college, can't say that about fucking rowing.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thread killed by a Dead Head Fred wall of text that no one will read.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thread killed by a Dead Head Fred wall of text that no one will read.
STFU. If this thread is dead, that would have nothing to do with me. You can always contribute something worthy of a response to try to revive it.