• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

if you were paid, say, $500k/yr to play basketball would you be able to play........

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any athlete, at any level, who is at all serious about their sport, tends to be very ritualistic, routinized and even superstitious about what they do and when. This includes what they wear and when.

Anything that disrupts that can be a distraction, especially if it is something that is used as inconsistently as these jerseys. There are certain uniform changes that are no big deal, such as when they make them a different color or have the El Heat, Los Lakers, etc. jerseys. Those are no big deal because the fit of the jersey is the same.

However, when they suddenly have to wear these tight fitting, sleeved jerseys, I can see where the feel of the uniform would be different and that can have an effect. Think about if you're a person who always wears loose fitting clothes and then suddenly have to wear tight fitting clothes. You definitely notice the difference.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you gave me 500k a year to play basketball, I'd glady dress like a drunken clown if the dress code called for it, even if I was singled out in wearing the clown outfit. I'd do it for about 5 years, using the net pay from the 2.5 million to pay off anything my wife and I owe, move to the location of the school that will provide me my choice of education, buy and go through said education, then buy and pay off a decent, but not over the top, house wherever my wife and I could both land the best jobs. I'd immediately stock whatever I didn't spend from the clowny basketball career into savings and investments. Anyone who wouldn't take advantage of a golden opportunity like playing a childrens' sports game for millions over a petty reason like wearing sleaves is a fool, and countless are fools for failing to set themselves up for their whole lives after making 5+million over a few years doing it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you gave me 500k a year to play basketball, I'd glady dress like a drunken clown if the dress code called for it, even if I was singled out in wearing the clown outfit. I'd do it for about 5 years, using the net pay from the 2.5 million to pay off anything my wife and I owe, move to the location of the school that will provide me my choice of education, buy and go through said education, then buy and pay off a decent, but not over the top, house wherever my wife and I could both land the best jobs. I'd immediately stock whatever I didn't spend from the clowny basketball career into savings and investments. Anyone who wouldn't take advantage of a golden opportunity like playing a childrens' sports game for millions over a petty reason like wearing sleaves is a fool, and countless are fools for failing to set themselves up for their whole lives after making 5+million over a few years doing it.

I'd spend mine on booze, weed and whores!!:lol:

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is not the complaining so much as it is how fickle minded he must be. Simply adding a few inches of sleeve can make a player drop 8pts per game, and start shooting 0% from 3pt range (0-14).

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd spend mine on booze, weed and whores!!:lol:

As many year career as they would have me investing all of it in a brokerage account, ~$1.6m is $100k a year in interest. When they fired me I would travel the world never even touching the principle until I found the most secluded tropical beach that had fish and coconuts and I would say good bye to humanity...and clothes. I would also have a large boat to get me back to humanity in case of emergency and maybe another for fishing.

My issue is not the complaining so much as it is how fickle minded he must be. Simply adding a few inches of sleeve can make a player drop 8pts per game, and start shooting 0% from 3pt range (0-14).

Even if it is all just in his head he is not the 1st athlete to be used to a certain thing and not want it to change. Hell, NFL players refuse to quit hitting each other in a manner that will cause them irreparable brain damage.

But let's put this in a situation that you can relate to. Take out a pen and paper and write "no clothing or outside forces affect my shot...mostly because nothing could make it worse". Then wrap a rubber band around your fingers and write the same, then wear a glove. Tell me all 3 look identical and I will call you a bold faced liar, or somebody who typed it.

Even throwing a football in shoulder pads is a pain in the ass, the point is the individual player gets to choose their shoulder pads and are always required to wear them. If the NBA wants sleeved jerseys permanently then fine, all of the time or none of the time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many year career as they would have me investing all of it in a brokerage account, ~$1.6m is $100k a year in interest. When they fired me I would travel the world never even touching the principle until I found the most secluded tropical beach that had fish and coconuts and I would say good bye to humanity...and clothes. I would also have a large boat to get me back to humanity in case of emergency and maybe another for fishing.

Sound like I'd have more fun.

Unless, of course, your secluded tropical beach has lots of booze, weed and whores.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Lakers had trouble with those short sleeved jerseys against OKC too

:L

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those shirts are a distraction until they get used to them. Make them wear the sissy shirts all the time or not at all. Athletes need consistency not fashion statements while playing.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like 'em or hate 'em, they should not affect performance.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can absolutely affect performance. Most of basketball or any sport is mental. If the shirt disrupts you then it can affect performance.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it is solely mental (which it is not) then it is affecting the player and it should not be mandatory to wear it.

The player should have the option to wear the sleeves or a sleeveless version.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it is solely mental (which it is not) then it is affecting the player and it should not be mandatory to wear it.

The player should have the option to wear the sleeves or a sleeveless version.

Not really.

We all know the sleeved uniforms are just a gimmick, but it's making the NBA millions of extra dollars.

If the NBA tells players to wear the shirt, they should wear the shirt. It's the whole 'lebron black mask' argument again. Only this time the result has significant financial gain to the league.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as a Lakers fan, I hate the white sleeved uniforms the team has.

If it were black though it would be damn cool.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
35% yesterday without sleeves.

33% the previous game with sleeves.

Was it the sleeves or not?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the "I'd have no problem doing X if I got paid that much money".

Yeah! Because you aren't worth anywhere close to that on any market. Of course you would.

I'm sure there are homeless people with no degree that would be willing to do your $75k job in a tutu! Because they aren't worth that on the job market.

If you have a skill that is worth a lot of money to someone, that is a nice thing. But it doesn't mean you have to obey their every whim like a servant. You can stand up for yourself in your job because you have a skill that they need.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the "I'd have no problem doing X if I got paid that much money".

Yeah! Because you aren't worth anywhere close to that on any market. Of course you would.

I'm sure there are homeless people with no degree that would be willing to do your $75k job in a tutu! Because they aren't worth that on the job market.

If you have a skill that is worth a lot of money to someone, that is a nice thing. But it doesn't mean you have to obey their every whim like a servant. You can stand up for yourself in your job because you have a skill that they need.

Really?!? How about soldiers in the army? Are NBA players worth more than the brave men and women in Iraq?

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!? How about soldiers in the army? Are NBA players worth more than the brave men and women in Iraq?

Evidently they are worth more in that market. Thats why they get paid more than soldiers. You get paid for the value you provide the person paying you.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently they are worth more in that market. Thats why they get paid more than soldiers. You get paid for the value you provide the person paying you.

And who pays the soldiers? And how do they get the money?

So soldiers giving their lives to protect our country is worth less than a guy dribbling a ball?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depends on what you're talking about. Who's worth more to the security of our nation? Who's job and sacrifice is more honorable? Who is more courageous and most deserving of praise? Of course the soldiers.

But who is worth more $$ to a potential employer? Who is going to generate the most income in the entertainment industry? Obviously the NBA players.

Many of the same people that complain about athlete salaries are the same people that spend a lot of their time and money on the sports entertainment industry.

Watching a game, buying a jersey, going on an NBA forum, going to a game... these are all things that we do that drive the market price up for someone with world-class basketball talent.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And who pays the soldiers? And how do they get the money?

So soldiers giving their lives to protect our country is worth less than a guy dribbling a ball?

The government pays the soldiers with our money. Again a soldiers life is worth less than a guy dribbling a ball. Its called priorities. If we demanded soldiers were paid more and stopped freely spending our money on NBA games and merchandise we would not see this situation. Dont blame anyone but the public for misplaced priorities.