• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you were the Bears

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you do?

This will be an unpopular approach... but what I would do is take Marvin Harrison Jr. with the 1st pick, unless someone is willing to trade up and you can still grab him.

Trade Fields.

With the 9th pick take Bo Nix.

Why don't I like Caleb Williams?
His PFF Grade under pressure was 39.1 last year. That is the bottom quartile of all college football QBs. How will that go facing NFL pass rushes?
I don't believe he can be a leader of men. There is the crying in his mama's arms scene following a loss to Washington.
Those two above just makes me believe he will fold at the first sign of adversity. He played well against kids.. he wont have the same fortune against the adults.

Bo Nix is often graded as a late 1st round prospect. Why do I like him?

He has started 3 years in college.
He improved every year.
PFF Grade 78.5-86.8-93.0
Comp % 60.2-70.1-77.3
YPA 7.0-8.8-9.3

He had an adjusted completion percentage of 85.4% last year. His pressure grade was 91.2. I really hope he ends up in the NFC, because if he falls to the middle of the draft, a well established team who might just be in need of a QB will grab him and prosper.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold on Williams either.

I'd either take Harrison - or trade it for a haul and just continue to rebuild.

If you really want to move on from Fields - there are many veteran QB's who are serviceable and will allow them to take this year, and maybe next, to really rebuild the roster.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I would do to Cincy. I didn't know all that about Nix either BDC.

Bears trade that #1 overall pick to the Patriots to leap frog Washington and go back to #3, pick up and extra first round pick next year and a 2nd rounder this year.

Draft Marvin Harrison Jr. with the #3 pick in front of Arizona.

Trade Justin Fields to someone like the Raiders for a 2nd and 5th round pick this year.

Draft Nix with the 9th pick.

They now have their QB, WR, an extra 1st rounder next year, 2 extra 2nd rounders this year and a 5th rounder.

Sign Saquon Barkley to a contract.

Use their 3 - 2nd round draft picks to shore up the defense.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Bears I would trade the pick to the Bengals for a tagged Tee Higgins and pick 49 and a 2025 first round pick.
And the Bengals can then draft Tee's replacement, Marvin Harrison Jr.

I'm kidding of course.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you do?

This will be an unpopular approach... but what I would do is take Marvin Harrison Jr. with the 1st pick, unless someone is willing to trade up and you can still grab him.

Trade Fields.

With the 9th pick take Bo Nix.

Why don't I like Caleb Williams?
His PFF Grade under pressure was 39.1 last year. That is the bottom quartile of all college football QBs. How will that go facing NFL pass rushes?
I don't believe he can be a leader of men. There is the crying in his mama's arms scene following a loss to Washington.
Those two above just makes me believe he will fold at the first sign of adversity. He played well against kids.. he wont have the same fortune against the adults.

Bo Nix is often graded as a late 1st round prospect. Why do I like him?

He has started 3 years in college.
He improved every year.
PFF Grade 78.5-86.8-93.0
Comp % 60.2-70.1-77.3
YPA 7.0-8.8-9.3

He had an adjusted completion percentage of 85.4% last year. His pressure grade was 91.2. I really hope he ends up in the NFC, because if he falls to the middle of the draft, a well established team who might just be in need of a QB will grab him and prosper.
This is an interesting approach and possibly one that makes you relevant and in playoff contention for a long time. It reminds me a little of the Bengals in 2011 - Moving on from Palmer, they take the top 5 receiver (Green) and second round qb (Dalton). Now, I get that you grade Nix as a better prospect than Dalton and that is probably fair. But, he's not seen as a top 10 prospect and there are some questions. So, do you end up with a roster that is competitive enough but just doesn't have that special player at QB? And do you watch Williams light it up and be a savior for another franchise?

FWIW, I'm not sold on any of the three top QBs. And I don't think they should run it back with Fields. So, I would favor your approach but then hold my breath hoping those other guys aren't superstars.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't get is the talk of Drake Maye to Washington. I'm not sure I want Sam Howel's college back-up to come in and be my new starter with Howel as the back-up. I'm not a big fan of saying 'this school doesn't produce this position.....' That's the kind of thing that keeps you from drafting Stroud last year. But, I keep thinking of Mitch Tribusky and Sam Howel and I can't get my head wrapped round Drake Maye. I saw some UNC games this year and I never thought that this was somehow the next star of the NFL.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting approach and possibly one that makes you relevant and in playoff contention for a long time. It reminds me a little of the Bengals in 2011 - Moving on from Palmer, they take the top 5 receiver (Green) and second round qb (Dalton). Now, I get that you grade Nix as a better prospect than Dalton and that is probably fair. But, he's not seen as a top 10 prospect and there are some questions. So, do you end up with a roster that is competitive enough but just doesn't have that special player at QB? And do you watch Williams light it up and be a savior for another franchise?

FWIW, I'm not sold on any of the three top QBs. And I don't think they should run it back with Fields. So, I would favor your approach but then hold my breath hoping those other guys aren't superstars.
The key similarity here, IMO, is that there's not a sure fire #1 Stud that anyone is expecting to come in and take over. Much like the Bengals in 2011 draft.

Well, you had Cam Newton, but he was going #1. At that point it was Ponder, Gabbert, and Locker. Don't know if anyone thought they were top 10 type QB's...Bengals didn't reach, and took the best player in Green. Got better production out of Dalton in the 2nd round than any of those QB's gave to their initial teams.

I feel like this is shaping up to be similar....maybe Williams works out, maybe not. I like Nix, but I'm not sure on his ceiling to be honest....it took him a bit of time to really get where he was this year....and he had plenty of playing time....But, I do like him.

I'd grab Harrison - or trade and pick up a bunch of picks - and if they want to keep Fields around for a few more years great, if not - like I said before - plenty of veteran QB's that can get you similar results, and maybe better if you get them guys like Harrison and a few more solid picks and F/A. Wait another year to grab that QB.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good comparison. Picking up MHJ and Bo Nix is fine. Definitely could be a 10 win / Wildcard team for years to come or do we take the risk on the Cam Newton of the draft ...