• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Happy with the win or more concerned

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think We forced that pick. I'm not writing off Taco and thought he showed some nice potential even though he was a little disappointing this year. but you could see (and read after) how the other DEs going left us with our pants down a little. I am happy with Awuzie and how the draft ultimately went for us and our board saved us and still delivered a great draft, but our top player on the board and only first round grade left was King. But we forced the position instead. That was a panic move IMO. You either move up to grab the guy you want or you take the best player on your board. Great teams don't settle for a player at a position of need. And yes, our cap problems and restructures (and still paying Romo) are what created that hole and I'm sure that wasn't McClay. But, I need to give credit to whomever had any say in the last few drafts and this includes Garrett and yes (gulp) Jerry for listening more and doing less. I love our last few drafts and hope they keep the group together for this next draft. I will be very upset if McClay goes
I agree that Taco was a panic move. Providing we resign DLaw and Hitchens(I think DLaw gets the franchise if needs be, but it won't come to that), there's no reason for panic this season. This is one of the most talented teams in the league. Do they need a WR? Yes, but you can find receivers in the 3rd or 4th round as quickly as you can the 1st. Same with OL depth, DT, S, backup QB...As soon as Lawrence and Hitchens are resigned, I'm gonna feel very good about our chances next season

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team may choose between Hitchens and Jaylon. Hitchens is going to get a pretty good contract. So if they are tied to Smith in the middle going forward I think they let Hitchens go. I have really liked Hitchens since I first saw him so I hope they resign him, but was reading a few writers saying that they think they will let him go elsewhere. This will be a key decision IMO. If they resign Hitchens it doesn't matter as much how well Smith plays, but if they let him go and combined with what little else we have, Smith must play well and if Lee gets injured again it could be disastrous if Hitchens isn't here. We were a different team with both Lee and Hitchens on the field.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team may choose between Hitchens and Jaylon. Hitchens is going to get a pretty good contract. So if they are tied to Smith in the middle going forward I think they let Hitchens go. I have really liked Hitchens since I first saw him so I hope they resign him, but was reading a few writers saying that they think they will let him go elsewhere. This will be a key decision IMO. If they resign Hitchens it doesn't matter as much how well Smith plays, but if they let him go and combined with what little else we have, Smith must play well and if Lee gets injured again it could be disastrous if Hitchens isn't here. We were a different team with both Lee and Hitchens on the field.
Hitchens will be the interesting decision. I think he is a must resign, but the Cowboys seem to think LB(like run stuffing DT) are positions you can get by without spending big money on. If Lee weren't so injury prone, I think they would let Hitchens walk, but I just don't see how they can. I think the smart play would be to resign Hitchens, DRAFT a LB in the first 3 rounds, and hope for a big jump in JSmith. If they end up having to trade or part ways with someone because they have 4 great LB's, so be it, but they aren't close to having that problem yet

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitchens will be the interesting decision. I think he is a must resign, but the Cowboys seem to think LB(like run stuffing DT) are positions you can get by without spending big money on. If Lee weren't so injury prone, I think they would let Hitchens walk, but I just don't see how they can. I think the smart play would be to resign Hitchens, DRAFT a LB in the first 3 rounds, and hope for a big jump in JSmith. If they end up having to trade or part ways with someone because they have 4 great LB's, so be it, but they aren't close to having that problem yet
Agree. That's what I would do too. Perhaps maybe pass on LB in the draft if you resign Hitchens and assume Smith is better next year because you would still have Wilson as a #4 which is probably his niche, unless a guy they love is there. I don't see a need for Wilbur to still be on this team. He is OK but not great on STs and although I like his position flex he seems kind of poor at all positions on defense. Him on the roster show there is room to upgrade. The benefit to drafting a guy this year even with Hitchens I guess is if Smith doesn't step up you have an option, but I think with Lee and Hitchens on the field that 3rd spot can be a place to not worry about having a stud at and save cap space and Smith and Wilson can fight for it.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd resign Hitchens and play him along side of Lee and Smith. Is Wilson suspended to start the season?
3 #4's says to me you draft a LB in that round

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. That's what I would do too. Perhaps maybe pass on LB in the draft if you resign Hitchens and assume Smith is better next year because you would still have Wilson as a #4 which is probably his niche, unless a guy they love is there. I don't see a need for Wilbur to still be on this team. He is OK but not great on STs and although I like his position flex he seems kind of poor at all positions on defense. Him on the roster show there is room to upgrade. The benefit to drafting a guy this year even with Hitchens I guess is if Smith doesn't step up you have an option, but I think with Lee and Hitchens on the field that 3rd spot can be a place to not worry about having a stud at and save cap space and Smith and Wilson can fight for it.
I would be happy with that. I think what's nice for the Cowboys this year is that when they are on the clock at 19, they can really take who they want instead of forcing a position pick. If someone they had in their own top 10-12 drops to them, there's no reason not to jump him, whether it's an OL, a stud WR or a LB. Just keep adding talent to a talented roster

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It will be interesting to see how Dallas signs everyone. They have Hitchens, Lawrence and Z Martin to do. Lawrence is gonna get paid cause young pass rushers make big money (at least 60 million). Lost in the offensive problems is how fantastic the D played the 2nd half of the season.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how Dallas signs everyone. They have Hitchens, Lawrence and Z Martin to do. Lawrence is gonna get paid cause young pass rushers make big money (at least 60 million). Lost in the offensive problems is how fantastic the D played the 2nd half of the season.
I think If they only want to resign their own and no free agents it won't be a problem. They can always franchise Lawrence if need be. They have Martin for his first round option at $9.8M next year if they don't sign him long term. They have a $9M carryover, but that will be eaten up by Romo's dead money. But he is finally off the books in 2019. They have a couple of vets they can cut if it is the difference between keeping the younger guys or not too. Every year those contracts they restructure come back to hurt (Smith, Frederick, etc) but they can get through it. Cooper too will be an interesting decision. He played pretty well, but after years of crap play how much will he really be getting?

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think If they only want to resign their own and no free agents it won't be a problem. They can always franchise Lawrence if need be. They have Martin for his first round option at $9.8M next year if they don't sign him long term. They have a $9M carryover, but that will be eaten up by Romo's dead money. But he is finally off the books in 2019. They have a couple of vets they can cut if it is the difference between keeping the younger guys or not too. Every year those contracts they restructure come back to hurt (Smith, Frederick, etc) but they can get through it. Cooper too will be an interesting decision. He played pretty well, but after years of crap play how much will he really be getting?

All it takes is one pretty good yr. Look at Leary. He started 1 yr and got 8 million a yr.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All it takes is one pretty good yr. Look at Leary. He started 1 yr and got 8 million a yr.
Leary started a few years and was pretty darn good.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight Leary and Doug Free "Pass" were under appreciated by most of us. I know you liked Leary more than some others did.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes but he sat the bench in 2015. Cooper is first rounder. I'm not saying the guy is worth a shit. I'm sure though there are some teams out there with money to spend and he would be an upgrade to what they had.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read Cooper dodged major injury and is expected to resign.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very True...there remains an asterisk when a certain fan here discusses the Dallas QB position on this board.
fuck that guy!!!! ...........(to soon?)

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a couple of articles last month about McClay being the top G.M. target in the League, and while he passed on those to stay in Dallas before, they thought he was gone this year. A lot of it stemmed from the Taco Charlton pick, as Jason Garrett made a big play for Charlton, who was not the guy McClay wanted at all. I hope it's not true
Do we know who McClay wanted? get rid of JG before McClay!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
philly just might be the worst #1 seed in the history of NFL playoffs.

I think 13-3 Kansas City in 2003 or whatever that was, when they had the worst defense in NFL history or something. Was pretty bad. There was not a single punt by either them, or Manning's Colts in their one-and-done playoff loss.

There's been some fraudulent #1's over the years. Philly without Wentz is probably up there, though. However, you can't say they're "frauds"... because we all know that with their QB, they're a good team.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight Leary and Doug Free "Pass" were under appreciated by most of us. I know you liked Leary more than some others did.
Yes. you can maybe even say I even over rated Leary a little and playing between T Smith and Frederick with Martin on your opposite side is pretty nice, but he played like a Pro Bowler last year and the team is different without him. Free was done IMO. This team with Leary at LG and Collins at RT would just be amazing. But, the NFL has a cap and we need Martin so I was understood not resigning him

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. you can maybe even say I even over rated Leary a little and playing between T Smith and Frederick with Martin on your opposite side is pretty nice, but he played like a Pro Bowler last year and the team is different without him. Free was done IMO. This team with Leary at LG and Collins at RT would just be amazing. But, the NFL has a cap and we need Martin so I was understood not resigning him
When we let Leary go and Free retired I fully expected they'd be easy to replace. Turns out I was wrong. Maybe they need to get another OT and move Collins to G.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 13-3 Kansas City in 2003 or whatever that was, when they had the worst defense in NFL history or something. Was pretty bad. There was not a single punt by either them, or Manning's Colts in their one-and-done playoff loss.

There's been some fraudulent #1's over the years. Philly without Wentz is probably up there, though. However, you can't say they're "frauds"... because we all know that with their QB, they're a good team.
well....I did say, just might be
philly without Wentz sure looks the part