• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bare cupboard, or poor coaching?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am comparing apples to apples, Slaton, # of freshmen on the roster, period, not how they got there, NO spin at all, just a pure number. In 2011 there were 26, 2012 there were 35, 2013 there were 43, In 2007 there were 38 freshmen on the roster, 2006, 45, meaning the average of freshmen on the team has been fairly constant except for the dip in 2010 and 2011. Why the hell can't you include walk ons? some pretty damn good ball players started as walkons, WITH EFFECTIVE COACHING, YOUR favorite coach started as a walkon!!!!! How about Owen Schmitt?

Walk-ons endure pain to live out dream | TribLIVE

It distorts the number of kids that actually are part of the depth chart...just because you can check a box that you you have a 100 plus kids in practice it doesn't matter if only 65 of them are on the depth chart..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YEAH BABY, 10-3, 7-6, 4-8, MAN, thats a program on the move right there!!!!!! The more of "his" players he has, the worse he gets, what a coach!!!! Beating Auburn was the sign of a lousy team and coach, losing to LSU at BR by six was the sign of a dying program, losing to Kansas, going 4-8, no bowl game, THAT is what we strive for! Extend his contract forever, Ollie!! this year he might set us on a higher course, maybe go 1-11, he never needs to win another game, just like Obama, it will always be the previous guys fault!

DAD you can't throw those records up there and say it tells the story...as everyone on here has repeated said with facts mind you, that depth and a talent base was going to catch up with the program no matter who was the HC...it just happens that Dana is sitting in the chair..

I guess I don't understand your position totally...IMHO...Dana has grown leaps and bounds from the first day he stood at the podium as HC..the guy has made mistakes and has learned from them..he isn't afraid to shake things up...look at him this year...he spends more time on the defensive and special teams side of the ball than offense...he has assembled a pretty stout coaching staff, the best ever at Wv again, my opinion..the guy works his butt off every day and it shows!.I see nothing but a program moving in the right direction...as with all HC's sooner or later no matter the effort the wins and losses will determine their fate...I would like to see this guy here for another 3 years and then asses whats next...

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think DAD realizes that his inane banter drives anyone with a middle of the road disposition away from his position. His arguments are so juvenile and based on such limited insight that any reasonable person is forced to oppose his viewpoint. I despise DH, think he's a complete asshat. But you can't spew BS that losing to Iowa state and Kansas are because he can't coach or coach up players. Especially when you see the injury report and half the starters are down. Nehlen, Rich Rod nor Stew won under those conditions.

The Big XII is not the Big East. Injuries are more prevalent, occur more frequently. Depth is more important than ever.

I'm not an opthamologist. Even if I was, I couldn't make this blind man see.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11-1, 8-3-1, 4-7 Obviously, that man can't coach. Someone fire him right now!!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to know who Stew "coached" up...because all the players he recruited performed better under DH. Pat White took a step back...so please tell me who Stew "coached" up?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11-1, 8-3-1, 4-7 Obviously, that man can't coach. Someone fire him right now!!

DAD won't respond to this rationally either. I started a thread last winter highlighting the 1990 team that finished 4-7.

The issues affecting that team were eerily similar to last year's. The '90 team lost 4 games by double digits.

The 4-7 record came just two years removed from seeing WVU play for the NC against ND. How could it happen? How could WVU get worse?

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about 1992? Nahlen has stated that he thought the 1992 team was his most talented. Yet they went 5-4-2...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey… DAD is always barking about the size of the crowd for the ISU game. How 'bout the crowd that showed up to see WVU play Louisiana Tech in '92.

Clear sign the WVU fans had lost faith in their HC… right?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get the record thing DAD keeps bringing up..the guys in his 4th season...

I mean what's worse losing to Kansas and Iowa State with a bunch of freshman...or losing at home to Pitt who was a 27 point underdog at home ??...You think Rich was going to be fired?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep your head in the sand, keep cheering while Rome burns. In case you guys forgot, there are TWO sides of a football team, both offense and defense, Holgorsen and Fraud are offensive guys, and Nehlen and Stewart were defensive guys. Take a look at the defensive guys under Stewart, everything you say about offensive guys doing better under Holgorsen can be countered with how much better the defense did under Stewart. Success in football depends on scoring more points than the other team, period, some coaches care only about offense, try to outscore the other team 70-63 is fine with them. Some coaches care only about defense, they are tickled with 3-0, neither camp will have great success. The best coaches care about BOTH sides of the ball. The best season in WVU history WVU won by an average score of 41-17, a good offense AND a good defense are needed for success.

What is funny is how ESPN, CBS, SI are ALL saying what a lousy job Holgorsen has done, how he has brought the program down, and HAS to win 7 this year to keep his job, yet you guys STILL are firmly in his camp...........A TRUE fan does NOT want a subpar coach ruining the team he loves!!!!!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get the record thing DAD keeps bringing up..the guys in his 4th season...

I mean what's worse losing to Kansas and Iowa State with a bunch of freshman...or losing at home to Pitt who was a 27 point underdog at home ??...You think Rich was going to be fired?

Nehlen's first three years 6-6, 9-3, 9-3

Fraud's first three years 3-8, 9-4, 8-5

Stewart's first three years 9-4, 9-4, 9-4

Holgorsen's first three years 10-3, 7-6, 4-8

See the problem?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about 1992? Nahlen has stated that he thought the 1992 team was his most talented. Yet they went 5-4-2...

There is more to a football team than raw talent, an individually GREAT team that has no chemistry will struggle to win every time. I would put heart, effort, and what they are coached at LEAST as important as raw talent. Give me that two star guy who has heart and wants to learn over the five star prima dona ANY day. As witnessed by what you just said MAC, a team needs more than talent. Saban could have taken last years WVU team to a bowl EASILY, and may have won 10 games. Holgorsen could have poisoned the pot and coached last years Alabama team to a 6-6 record.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for the offseason chatter guys. If you haven't noticed, we are opening against the #2 team in the nation this week. HCDH will either lead us to great things or fail miserably. Let's see what the season brings and end this nonsense.

WVU 38. Bama 28. Dravon Henry is MVP with a pick six to open the game. Simms is ineffective and Coker gets the nickname "Choker"

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for the offseason chatter guys. If you haven't noticed, we are opening against the #2 team in the nation this week. HCDH will either lead us to great things or fail miserably. Let's see what the season brings and end this nonsense.

WVU 38. Bama 28. Dravon Henry is MVP with a pick six to open the game. Simms is ineffective and Coker gets the nickname "Choker"

:agree:

Amen, can we put this dead horse to rest?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep your head in the sand, keep cheering while Rome burns. In case you guys forgot, there are TWO sides of a football team, both offense and defense, Holgorsen and Fraud are offensive guys, and Nehlen and Stewart were defensive guys. Take a look at the defensive guys under Stewart, everything you say about offensive guys doing better under Holgorsen can be countered with how much better the defense did under Stewart. Success in football depends on scoring more points than the other team, period, some coaches care only about offense, try to outscore the other team 70-63 is fine with them. Some coaches care only about defense, they are tickled with 3-0, neither camp will have great success. The best coaches care about BOTH sides of the ball. The best season in WVU history WVU won by an average score of 41-17, a good offense AND a good defense are needed for success.

What is funny is how ESPN, CBS, SI are ALL saying what a lousy job Holgorsen has done, how he has brought the program down, and HAS to win 7 this year to keep his job, yet you guys STILL are firmly in his camp...........A TRUE fan does NOT want a subpar coach ruining the team he loves!!!!!

Stewart was a defensive guy? First time I ever heard that. He was a QB coach for Nehlen. He was a QB coach for Rich.

A true fan would know more about the coach he loved so much…

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny all those sites mention the depth issues DH has faced....selective reading?

Could we get a quote from those sites as well where they say "DH is doing a lousy job"? I probably read just about every article on WVU from most sites...have yet to see that one...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD wouldn't make shit up. He's too deeply religious to commit such a sin.