• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bare cupboard, or poor coaching?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuses are only for Stew and staff no one else is afforded them....

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ask seriously, if WVU goes 4-8 again, what do you say about Holgorsen?

We won't be 4-8 this year. We will go to a bowl, and we WILL beat Bama.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAC, I could ask that same question about ANY team, name the backups on any team, no one can, because the guys are starters and backups for a reason.

What a surprise! DAD wouldn't answer the request.

How can anyone respect a man like DAD?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? So you don't remember Gary Stills? Noel Devine rings no bells for you? Willie Drewery?? Undra Johnson??? Chad Johnston and Marc Bulger must have been terrible too. Backups are backups because they suck!

Those are not career backups, MAC, they became starters and are remembered for their time as such. When we remember career backups it is for lost chances, look at the backups for Bradshaw back in the day, hell look back a few years at WVU, Studstill is remembered not for any great play, but for that shot on TV after he got his head knocked off.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't be 4-8 this year. We will go to a bowl, and we WILL beat Bama.

WOW, homer statement right there, I will be cheering for us against 'Bama, but will not be emphatically saying we will win, five years ago I would have been confident, but no longer. It is like 1979 again, hard to think WVU will win against good teams, when we can not even compete with Kansas.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are not career backups, MAC, they became starters and are remembered for their time as such. When we remember career backups it is for lost chances, look at the backups for Bradshaw back in the day, hell look back a few years at WVU, Studstill is remembered not for any great play, but for that shot on TV after he got his head knocked off.

You obviously missed his point. He wasn't asking you to name career backups. He wanted you to look for the next starter… the next star waiting in the wings…

Can you name some… any… for us?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slaton, you cant be serious, you are comparing a HC in year ONE, games TWO and THREE, to a THIRD year HC, the last two games of the year against a team that had beat TWO 1A teams in three years and the other cellar dweller of the league with a bowl on the line, WOW. That bowl game against NCST is hardly anything to guage ANYTHING by, the entire offensive staff was just going through the motions after Luck fired them, the players were shellshocked by the news also.

I ask seriously, if WVU goes 4-8 again, what do you say about Holgorsen?

Was it year one..as a HC?..didn't have a previous coaching gig?...some of the mistakes he made at the helm his first year were first year HC mistakes....Stewart should have been a lot better especially at Colorado..

Depends how and if they go 4-8..this is easily the toughest schedule a HC has ever faced in the history of program outside of maybe when Penn State and Pitt were in their hey day..I would say even this is more difficult... If they play hard every game..don't get blown out again by say a Maryland. or Kansas State or TCU etc..and show signs of progress...4-8 maybe okay...but if they lose to a Kansas or worse ...I may feel different..

I like how they are going about their business right now...I like how recruiting is going...I like the coaching staff...there are a ton of positives that you couldn't point to under Stewarts regime the kind of positives that keep the program healthy on a sustainable level, which is what we all want..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD always excuses Stewart's mistakes and mismanagement in games like CU, ECU with the first year HC argument. I guess DAD forgets Stewart's time as the VMI HC.

Maybe DAD is fucking dense…

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW, homer statement right there, I will be cheering for us against 'Bama, but will not be emphatically saying we will win, five years ago I would have been confident, but no longer. It is like 1979 again, hard to think WVU will win against good teams, when we can not even compete with Kansas.

I would rather be a "homer" that believes in his team, then a debbie downer that says we will only win 4 games.

If I was a homer I would have said that we would win the NC this year, I didn't even claim we would win the Big 12. Just that we would beat Bama and go to a bowl.

Why don't you go crawl back under that rock you crawled out of, and let us believe in our team.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD always excuses Stewart's mistakes and mismanagement in games like CU, ECU with the first year HC argument. I guess DAD forgets Stewart's time as the VMI HC.

Maybe DAD is fucking dense…

or a retard

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I didn't say "career backup". I said backups who became starters. Every name I mentioned was a backup at one point during their career at WVU and went on to be a starter. You are able to name ZERO such players from the last 6 years. You proved my point without realizing it.

THAT is depth. And THAT is something we haven't had. Who did we have to replace Geno? Paul Millard... He's no Chad Johnston or Marc Bulger. You still fail to see the recruiting problem Stew caused. You refuse to. You reply with even more evidence that proves my point, but just outright refuse to see what is right in front of you.

BTW, I remember Studstill for leading WVU back from the brink of defeat against BC in 93. Somehow I'm not surprised that you'd remember him for something negative...

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, let's not go the route of personal attacks. Let's keep things on topic.

Keep it civil.

:suds:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, let's not go the route of personal attacks. Let's keep things on topic.

Keep it civil.

:suds:

While I agree with your message, DAD has done nothing but troll for 4 years. I have no problem with being respectful to another poster who is sincere... honest.... and a straight shooter.

DAD is none of those. In my book... one receives what one deserves. Sorry if it offends you or any other WVU poster, but that is how I roll....

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't offend me BB, I just want to keep the board clean and the mods out. I don't disagree on the feelings. I just don't want to see the board devolve from the high level of discussion we have.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I didn't say "career backup". I said backups who became starters. Every name I mentioned was a backup at one point during their career at WVU and went on to be a starter. You are able to name ZERO such players from the last 6 years. You proved my point without realizing it.

THAT is depth. And THAT is something we haven't had. Who did we have to replace Geno? Paul Millard... He's no Chad Johnston or Marc Bulger. You still fail to see the recruiting problem Stew caused. You refuse to. You reply with even more evidence that proves my point, but just outright refuse to see what is right in front of you.

BTW, I remember Studstill for leading WVU back from the brink of defeat against BC in 93. Somehow I'm not surprised that you'd remember him for something negative...

REALLY? In 2009 and 2010, Tavon was a backup, McCartney was a backup, Bailey was a backup, Geno Smith was a backup, Cook was a backup. I am tired of being called a "negative nancy" for speaking the truth. You guys look at this coach who took a team in THREE years from playing down for down with LSU to one that doesnt belong on the same field with KANSAS, and somehow see positives, I do not get it. You sing high praises about an offense that scored a HALF POINT better than one you poured piss all over, you say great things now about a style of defense you maligned before...........you saw no hope for the program at 9-4, but think great things about 4-8, :wtf2:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't offend me BB, I just want to keep the board clean and the mods out. I don't disagree on the feelings. I just don't want to see the board devolve from the high level of discussion we have.

Some people get frustrated when their argument has no merit, and resort to personal attacks...........

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again... McCartney was HORRIBLE!!! You're going to tout the guy who was 8th in receptions his Jr year and 7th his SR year?? He was a career backup... Sure, he got a few starts, but only a few, because he couldn't catch.

I forgot Geno backed up Brown his Fr year. BTW... Tavon saw more playing time than McCartney did. So while technically being a back up to Jock Sanders, he still was good enough to be 2nd in receptions...

So you have named one backup that became a starter.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again... McCartney was HORRIBLE!!! You're going to tout the guy who was 8th in receptions his Jr year and 7th his SR year?? He was a career backup... Sure, he got a few starts, but only a few, because he couldn't catch.

I forgot Geno backed up Brown his Fr year. BTW... Tavon saw more playing time than McCartney did. So while technically being a back up to Jock Sanders, he still was good enough to be 2nd in receptions...

So you have named one backup that became a starter.

Get real MAC, 9 of 10 starters were a backup early in their careers. Remember the Hatter's comments about Tavon? I just continue to find it amazing that guys on here point to the recruiting services to gauge THIS years class, YET poo poo those same rankings services for the 2009 and 2010 classes, which were ranked even higher. I say again, we are going into year FOUR, where is the franchise QB that "coach QB" has brought in? You guys want to say Stewart brought in no one in his THREE years, BUT want to say in the same breath that Holgorsen hasnt had a chance to recruit. PURE hogwash.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad I made a whole thread dedicated to those two "highly" rated classes over 50% of those players never played a down for WVU or anyone else, heck 3 or 4 of them never even stepped on campus..one committed twice one in each year and ended up at Maryland....CBS does a four year later rankings of classes sometimes and those classes would have been no where close to their initial ranking.

I agree I am surprised that we have struggled getting a QB here, but that is not enough to make me forget that DH had to make up for the recruiting shortcomings of the previous staff...and once again 4th year 3rd recruiting class. 3 classes just to get back up to 85...:L

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad I made a whole thread dedicated to those two "highly" rated classes over 50% of those players never played a down for WVU or anyone else, heck 3 or 4 of them never even stepped on campus..one committed twice one in each year and ended up at Maryland....CBS does a four year later rankings of classes sometimes and those classes would have been no where close to their initial ranking.

I agree I am surprised that we have struggled getting a QB here, but that is not enough to make me forget that DH had to make up for the recruiting shortcomings of the previous staff...and once again 4th year 3rd recruiting class. 3 classes just to get back up to 85...:L

DC, AGAIN I say, those singing such high praises NOW are using the same source as the ratings of the 2009 and 2010 classes, so how about a little consistency? IF those classes were misranked, QUIT using those same services to say how great THIS class is!!!!!!