• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bare cupboard, or poor coaching?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sitting here looking over the WVU football rosters for the past several seasons, some on here claim that Holgorsen is a good coach who is hamstringed by a lack of talent, some say that Holgorsen is not a good coach. The guys who say that Holgorsen was left a shell of a team seem to forget that the previous coaching staff brought in what were possibly the best players ever to wear Old Gold and Blue: Tavon Austin, Geno Smith, and Stedman Bailey. ALSO there was: Robert Sands, a capable DB who left with the coaching change, Keith Tandy, Tyler Bitancurt, Terence Garvin, Shawne Alston, Madsen, Jenkins, Wright, Miller, McCartney, Bruce Irvin, Bell, Cook, Rigg, Goode, Braun, many, many more who contributed. Then there are several who did not pan out, or left when the coaching change was made, Brunetti, Hargret, etc.

Players were in place, winning players at that, guys who went to LSU and almost beat them, guys who manhandled Clemson in the orange bowl, I contend that Holgorsen's comments last year about QBs not learning the offense were a symptom of a lack of coaching ability, as is the revolving door of defensive coaches, the players not lining up in the right spots, running the wrong routes, standing with their hands on their hips, making stupid decisions on the kicking game. I contend that Casteel was more the HC in 2011 than Holgorsen was, that Casteel ran the team, and Holgorsen ran the offense. Casteel leaving spoke volumes, he passed up the chance to coach at UM with Fraud because he LOVED WVU, but left after one year of Holgorsen.

Jump on me all you want, but that is what I see, the two losses to KANSAS!!!! and IAST last year sold me completely, Holgorsen cant coach at the HC level, he may be a fine coach one day, but he is ruining our program today.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gary Patterson forgot how to coach also. He has ruined TCU and ran it in the ground.

We all know the Big East and the MWC are superior to the Big12.

Depth doesn't mean anything. That Joseph should be shit canned for all them injuries, there is no excuse for them injuries depleting our depth. Them players should just suck it up and play 100 plays a game.

They should run both of these clowns out of town.

While they are at it they should just cut everyone from the football team as they all are losers. None of them have the talent to wear the blue and gold. Lets get new players and fire all the coaches, well maybe keep Bradly, he hasn't been a part of this crap yet.

I don't think WVU or TCU will ever recover from what these clowns have done to them. They should just both go back to the MWC and the AAC. I bet if we tried hard enough we may even get Saben to come home and rescue us from this demise.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban would not be welcomed here, he has closed practices.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban would not be welcomed here, he has closed practices.

Maybe we can get Les Miles then, after all he beat us in our house with all the talent we had, and the best coach that ever walked the sidelines. Don't forget that coach went 9-4 in the outstanding Big East, without full scholarships. He didn't need a full roster he was so good.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we can get Les Miles then, after all he beat us in our house with all the talent we had, and the best coach that ever walked the sidelines. Don't forget that coach went 9-4 in the outstanding Big East, without full scholarships. He didn't need a full roster he was so good.

Very good points, we will have to check Miles record for pandering to the local media....some how DH was not responsible for 10-3 but has only been responsible for all the negative things. BE>Big 12 everyone knows it.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we really need a thread started to see this load of BS?

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we really need a thread started to see this load of BS?

Absolutely! Isn't this the same stuff for the last 5 years? I believe that this is the reason why CBS Sports shut down their message boards. Hopefully Sportshoopla doesn't catch this virus.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if DH is a good coach or not yet, it's still too soon to tell. The cupboard wasn't empty, he had 3 cans left.

I'm not sure how you can be so naive, Dad. Yes, Tavon, Steadman and Smith were here. Who were their backups?

Who was backing up Sands? Oh, and he left because of $$ not the coaching change. Tyler Bitancurt was terrible. Alston was a mediocre power back that was always hurt. He'd be no better than 5th on the current depth chart. McCartney stunk up the place too.

Keith Tandy and Bruce Irvin were excellent.Terence Garvin, and Madsen were good. Frankly, half the guys you named I can't even remember. That's pretty sad when you pull 6 years worth of players and can only come up with a handful worth anything. To top it off, name ONE of their backups that was worth anything.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Madsen was the biggest disappointment I can remember. How do you not qualify for a bowl game your senior year? He let the entire team down. That kind of disregard for your team mates is what we need shut of.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if DH is a good coach or not yet, it's still too soon to tell. The cupboard wasn't empty, he had 3 cans left.

I'm not sure how you can be so naive, Dad. Yes, Tavon, Steadman and Smith were here. Who were their backups?

Who was backing up Sands? Oh, and he left because of $$ not the coaching change. Tyler Bitancurt was terrible. Alston was a mediocre power back that was always hurt. He'd be no better than 5th on the current depth chart. McCartney stunk up the place too.

Keith Tandy and Bruce Irvin were excellent.Terence Garvin, and Madsen were good. Frankly, half the guys you named I can't even remember. That's pretty sad when you pull 6 years worth of players and can only come up with a handful worth anything. To top it off, name ONE of their backups that was worth anything.

Well said Mac!

DAD, I hope you'll respond to this post and not do your usual game of fade away. Please answer Mac's request… name ONE of the back-ups to the stars you've mentioned worth anything!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have beat this horse to a bloody pulp...

Fact is if he left the talent pool full those kids would have been leading the team last year and this year...the highest any Dana recruit could be is a Jr. at this point. Geno, Tavon, and Bailey ended up being three of the best, but only after being coached by DH.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sitting here looking over the WVU football rosters for the past several seasons, some on here claim that Holgorsen is a good coach who is hamstringed by a lack of talent, some say that Holgorsen is not a good coach. The guys who say that Holgorsen was left a shell of a team seem to forget that the previous coaching staff brought in what were possibly the best players ever to wear Old Gold and Blue: Tavon Austin, Geno Smith, and Stedman Bailey. ALSO there was: Robert Sands, a capable DB who left with the coaching change, Keith Tandy, Tyler Bitancurt, Terence Garvin, Shawne Alston, Madsen, Jenkins, Wright, Miller, McCartney, Bruce Irvin, Bell, Cook, Rigg, Goode, Braun, many, many more who contributed. Then there are several who did not pan out, or left when the coaching change was made, Brunetti, Hargret, etc.

Players were in place, winning players at that, guys who went to LSU and almost beat them, guys who manhandled Clemson in the orange bowl, I contend that Holgorsen's comments last year about QBs not learning the offense were a symptom of a lack of coaching ability, as is the revolving door of defensive coaches, the players not lining up in the right spots, running the wrong routes, standing with their hands on their hips, making stupid decisions on the kicking game. I contend that Casteel was more the HC in 2011 than Holgorsen was, that Casteel ran the team, and Holgorsen ran the offense. Casteel leaving spoke volumes, he passed up the chance to coach at UM with Fraud because he LOVED WVU, but left after one year of Holgorsen.

Jump on me all you want, but that is what I see, the two losses to KANSAS!!!! and IAST last year sold me completely, Holgorsen cant coach at the HC level, he may be a fine coach one day, but he is ruining our program today.

Can't beleive I'm going to feed into this....tell me DAD you keep coming back to the Kansas and Iowa State losses as a benchmark of performance...how much different are those losses than lets say losing to ECU, Colorado, Cinncy and Pitt in the same year...or...losing to back to back weeks to the likes of Syracuse and UCONN!!..followed up by laying a monster egg in a bowl game to NC STATE???????:wtf2:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did we lose to Kansas twice?

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did we lose to Kansas twice?

I was thinking the same thing as I read the post...but I think he meant the "two losses" to Kansas and Iowa State. He just emphasized his disappointment in the loss to Kansas in caps and exclamation points lol

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgorsen and co. Just got our final scholly filled yesterday with Angus making it through the clearing house. Finally... At looong last, we are at 85/85 scholarship football players on our roster. The period for a fair assessment of Dana Holgorsen and this staff will begin in Atlanta in a few days and go through the end of the 2015 football season. Enjoy the show haters! :yahoo:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this thread has been going on and on and on and on and on and on for at least 4 years now.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't beleive I'm going to feed into this....tell me DAD you keep coming back to the Kansas and Iowa State losses as a benchmark of performance...how much different are those losses than lets say losing to ECU, Colorado, Cinncy and Pitt in the same year...or...losing to back to back weeks to the likes of Syracuse and UCONN!!..followed up by laying a monster egg in a bowl game to NC STATE???????:wtf2:

Slaton, you cant be serious, you are comparing a HC in year ONE, games TWO and THREE, to a THIRD year HC, the last two games of the year against a team that had beat TWO 1A teams in three years and the other cellar dweller of the league with a bowl on the line, WOW. That bowl game against NCST is hardly anything to guage ANYTHING by, the entire offensive staff was just going through the motions after Luck fired them, the players were shellshocked by the news also.

I ask seriously, if WVU goes 4-8 again, what do you say about Holgorsen?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MAC, I could ask that same question about ANY team, name the backups on any team, no one can, because the guys are starters and backups for a reason.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAC, I could ask that same question about ANY team, name the backups on any team, no one can, because the guys are starters and backups for a reason.
Really? So you don't remember Gary Stills? Noel Devine rings no bells for you? Willie Drewery?? Undra Johnson??? Chad Johnston and Marc Bulger must have been terrible too. Backups are backups because they suck!

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgorsen and co. Just got our final scholly filled yesterday with Angus making it through the clearing house. Finally... At looong last, we are at 85/85 scholarship football players on our roster. The period for a fair assessment of Dana Holgorsen and this staff will begin in Atlanta in a few days and go through the end of the 2015 football season. Enjoy the show haters! :yahoo:
EXACTLY!! This is the year we need to see improvement, to begin rising from the ash. Next year is when we expect a return to real competition.