• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zion Williamson recieves improper benefits at Duke

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except "he didn't get caught", Zion is being sued by an agent, and in an effort to get a settlement, the agent's lawyers are trying to shame Zion into a settlement, throwing Coach K, Zion, and the Duke basketball program under the bus with outrageous claims; none of which are proven to be true

It's not semantics, it's what you want to believe because you hate Duke and want to jump to a conclusion

lol

It is semantics. He didn't "get caught" in the classic sense because there wasn't an investigation that led to the NCAA "catching" some kind of wrongdoing on his part.

However, assuming the accusation is true, he would still have been guilty of receiving impermissible benefits.

It's very similar to Reggie Bush and USC. Bush didn't "get caught" doing anything. A wannabe agent got worried that he wasn't going to get re-paid and ratted him out.

In either case, the only thing that matters is whether there were impermissible benefits received or not.

It's not like the NCAA will go easier on a program because they were "ratted out" instead of "caught".

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

It is semantics. He didn't "get caught" in the classic sense because there wasn't an investigation that led to the NCAA "catching" some kind of wrongdoing on his part.

However, assuming the accusation is true, he would still have been guilty of receiving impermissible benefits.

It's very similar to Reggie Bush and USC. Bush didn't "get caught" doing anything. A wannabe agent got worried that he wasn't going to get re-paid and ratted him out.

In either case, the only thing that matters is whether there were impermissible benefits received or not.

It's not like the NCAA will go easier on a program because they were "ratted out" instead of "caught".

This is about a legal case and has nothing to do with anything like the Reggie Bush case.

An agent who has but only one way to win her case must prove Zion took impermissible benefits, so her lawyers have used hyperbole and innuendo and sportswriters like Pat Forde of SI and others write salacious headlines to try and shame Zion, then the agent can get Zion into settling a lawsuit. Like if Zion took gifts then he wasn't a student athlete, because if she can prove that the North Carolina "Uniform Athelete Agents Act" won't make her lawsuit void

The assumption here is Zion was overall #1 NBA draftee, he went to Duke for one season, therefore he received impermissible benefits from Duke's program, none of which has been even alleged much less proven by anyone who knows what this is about.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you’re telling me you know what you’re talking about when you say Zion got caught taking impermissible benefits. yeah buddy

You are getting all bent out of shape over 1 line in my post. And yes, it is semantics.

This is about a legal case and has nothing to do with anything like the Reggie Bush case.

An agent who has but only one way to win her case must prove Zion took impermissible benefits, so her lawyers have used hyperbole and innuendo and sportswriters like Pat Forde of SI and others write salacious headlines to try and shame Zion, then the agent can get Zion into settling a lawsuit. Like if Zion took gifts then he wasn't a student athlete, because if she can prove that the North Carolina "Uniform Athelete Agents Act" won't make her lawsuit void

The assumption here is Zion was overall #1 NBA draftee, he went to Duke for one season, therefore he received impermissible benefits from Duke's program, none of which has been even alleged much less proven by anyone who knows what this is about.

And if you actually read my post, you would have seen that I said that even coaches who run the cleanest programs have players receiving benefits because lots of people are trying to pay them. Agents, boosters, etc.

So maybe you should take a chill pill and actually read what I wrote. Because I don’t think this has anything to do with Duke other than that is the jersey Zion wore last year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact that neither were the result of a program "getting caught" makes them similar.

In both cases, there was an accusation made that wasn't made directly to the NCAA. At USC, it was to a reporter. At Duke, it was made in a legal case.

So yes, it is similar to the Reggie Bush case in that the accusations were not made directly to the NCAA. In the Bush case, they chose to pursue an investigation. On Duke, it remains to be seen.

If it's about impermissible benefits, it doesn't matter how the NCAA found out about them.

The NCAA doesn't even need for her to win her case if they want to investigate. The accusation is enough.

What may well help Duke is that the NCAA may decide to wait on the outcome of the case before they decide whether to investigate. If she loses, they may choose not to pursue an investigation. Especially since Coach K has an impeccable reputation.

But, they don't have to wait, nor do they need her to win her case to open an investigation.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are getting all bent out of shape over 1 line in my post. And yes, it is semantics.

And if you actually read my post, you would have seen that I said that even coaches who run the cleanest programs have players receiving benefits because lots of people are trying to pay them. Agents, boosters, etc.

So maybe you should take a chill pill and actually read what I wrote. Because I don’t think this has anything to do with Duke other than that is the jersey Zion wore last year.

I'm chill and never got bent out of shape, and I definitely read your posts, and yes this lawsuit against Zion is going nowhere

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that neither were the result of a program "getting caught" makes them similar.

In both cases, there was an accusation made that wasn't made directly to the NCAA. At USC, it was to a reporter. At Duke, it was made in a legal case.

So yes, it is similar to the Reggie Bush case in that the accusations were not made directly to the NCAA. In the Bush case, they chose to pursue an investigation. On Duke, it remains to be seen.

If it's about impermissible benefits, it doesn't matter how the NCAA found out about them.

The NCAA doesn't even need for her to win her case if they want to investigate. The accusation is enough.

What may well help Duke is that the NCAA may decide to wait on the outcome of the case before they decide whether to investigate. If she loses, they may choose not to pursue an investigation. Especially since Coach K has an impeccable reputation.

But, they don't have to wait, nor do they need her to win her case to open an investigation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's literally impossible for coaches to keep track of players 24/7.

With Reggie Bush, none of the impermissible benefits happened on campus. The whistleblower even said that they kept it away from campus because they knew Reggie could get into trouble.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no investigation since there is nothing to investigate

Zion's parents were contacted in January by text from this agent, he signed a contract in April, and again if he did or didn't receive benefits this Agent wouldn't know anything about it other than what she offers and that was after he declared for the draft

***The crime was this agent was never registered with the Sec of State in NC, a requirement, so she broke the NC
law, and that takes precedent over all other claims

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no investigation since there is nothing to investigate

All the NCAA needs is an accusation to inverstigate.

Zion's parents were contacted in January by text from this agent, he signed a contract in April, and again if he did or didn't receive benefits this Agent wouldn't know anything about it other than what she offers and that was after he declared for the draft

***The crime was this agent was never registered with the Sec of State in NC, a requirement, so she broke the NC
law, and that takes precedent over all other claims

None of that matters with the regard to the NCAA investigating whether or not improper benefits were received.

Regardless of the outcome of this case, the NCAA will decide whether or not they want to pursue an investigation.

It's going to be interesting. There are enough people who hate Duke, I expect there will be some pressure put on the NCAA to investigate.

Personally, I have no issues with Duke and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Coach K. I hope the NCAA just decides it's a nothing burger and leaves it alone.

But if you're thinking that this person losing her case would mean Duke has nothing to worry about, you're mistaken.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the NCAA needs is an accusation to inverstigate.

None of that matters with the regard to the NCAA investigating whether or not improper benefits were received.

Regardless of the outcome of this case, the NCAA will decide whether or not they want to pursue an investigation.

It's going to be interesting. There are enough people who hate Duke, I expect there will be some pressure put on the NCAA to investigate

Personally, I have no issues with Duke and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Coach K. I hope the NCAA just decides it's a nothing burger and leaves it alone.

But if you're thinking that this person losing her case would mean Duke has nothing to worry about, you're mistaken.

I've personally been contacted by an NCAA investigator and questioned (it didn't concern Duke), and they can investigate whomever and whatever they want, that doesn't mean anything.

Again, the accusers are Duke haters or like this agent who has nothing else and she's pushed in all of her chips hoping that something sticks

Now who do you believe? A 19 year old and his parents who were taken advantage of or an agent who broke North Carolina law? This is what it's about

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've personally been contacted by an NCAA investigator and questioned (it didn't concern Duke), and they can investigate whomever and whatever they want, that doesn't mean anything.

Again, the accusers are Duke haters or like this agent who has nothing else and she's pushed in all of her chips hoping that something sticks

Now who do you believe? A 19 year old and his parents who were taken advantage of or an agent who broke North Carolina law? This is what it's about

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm on Duke's side and tend to believe Zion.

Especially since, from everything I've seen and read about him, he seems like a really good kid who would be unlikely to accept anything.

And I'd likely believe Coach K over just about anyone. Even if something did happen. I'd have a hard time believing Coach K had any knowledge of it.

But yeah, if you've been contacted by the NCAA, you know they can just open an investigation on a program just because someone at the NCAA offices woke up in a bad mood that day. lol

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Especially since, from everything I've seen and read about him, he seems like a really good kid who would be unlikely to accept anything.

And I'd likely believe Coach K over just about anyone. Even if something did happen. I'd have a hard time believing Coach K had any knowledge of it.

But yeah, if you've been contacted by the NCAA, you know they can just open an investigation on a program just because someone at the NCAA offices woke up in a bad mood that day. lol

Yes! And Zion's Mother and Step-Dad aren't sophisticated enough about the signing of a contract, getting a good
lawyer, etc, in order to catch a fraud or someone taking advantage of them, so this Uniform Athlete Agents Act is supposed to cover them in that regard. Nearly every state has a similar statute

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not denying whether he did or didn't, you said "he got caught" and that simply not true

It's not semantics, it's what you want to believe because you hate Duke and want to jump to a conclusion

Someone is getting defensive

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes! And Zion's Mother and Step-Dad aren't sophisticated enough about the signing of a contract, getting a good
lawyer, etc, in order to catch a fraud or someone taking advantage of them, so this Uniform Athlete Agents Act is supposed to cover them in that regard. Nearly every state has a similar statute

The idea that you might need a lawyer to deal with the collegiate rules is strong evidence that something needs to change. Kids should be eligible to go from HS to the pros. Tough to do so in football, merely from an athletic build to play against grown men perspective, but easy in the NBA.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea that you might need a lawyer to deal with the collegiate rules is strong evidence that something needs to change. Kids should be eligible to go from HS to the pros. Tough to do so in football, merely from an athletic build to play against grown men perspective, but easy in the NBA.

I'd say that Zion and his parents needed strong legal counsel since this lawsuit is for $100M

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't get you wrong? Too late. And fuck dook! Is this true? Hell I don't know. But wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. Plus does anyone really wanna see Coach Kruzawooooski's legend get a little tarnished? Can't speak for anyone else but my answer is fuck yeah! :heh: I've been to Durham. Can't say I cared for the place.

When all this over my opinion of Coach K & his program won't change. Don't like them. But gotta respect them.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Improper benefits? More like still underpaid. Amirite?

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get you wrong? Too late. And fuck dook! Is this true? Hell I don't know. But wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. Plus does anyone really wanna see Coach Kruzawooooski's legend get a little tarnished? Can't speak for anyone else but my answer is fuck yeah! :heh: I've been to Durham. Can't say I cared for the place.

When all this over my opinion of Coach K & his program won't change. Don't like them. But gotta respect them.

I'm happy you stopped by to opine about scandals since UNX knows all about no show classes en sech

BTW, did Chump Hill ever serve probation for that or did they just hang another banner recognizing their victory over the NCAA?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy you stopped by to opine about scandals since UNX knows all about no show classes en sech

BTW, did Chump Hill ever serve probation for that or did they just hang another banner recognizing their victory over the NCAA?

Now don't try to change the topic. This is about Zion.

boarman1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of the FBI trying to catch college athletes receiving money, which every college is doing, they should be trying to do something productive

Such as find Tupac's killer