• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zion Williamson recieves improper benefits at Duke

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is the reason why the NBA is letting elite high school prospects skip college and play in the G League and make $500,000 a year before entering the draft while taking online school which is paid by the league. The NCAA should find a way to fix this because stories like this that makes Zion and the NBA look bad will be the reason they will never have an elite prospect play at an institution again.

Zion Williamson's former marketing agency alleges ex-Duke star received improper benefits

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
laughingsmiley.gif

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocker

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is the reason why the NBA is letting elite high school prospects skip college and play in the G League and make $500,000 a year before entering the draft while taking online school which is paid by the league. The NCAA should find a way to fix this because stories like this that makes Zion and the NBA look bad will be the reason they will never have an elite prospect play at an institution again.

Zion Williamson's former marketing agency alleges ex-Duke star received improper benefits
I actually like the g league option better for potential because I think the G league will be more likely be able to train the players with a set of skills more NBA styled

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
38hdph.jpg

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doesn’t make Zion look bad because basically all top recruits get improper benefits of some kind. He just got caught.

It makes the NCAA look bad, and possibly Duke.

But the truth is, the coach could run the cleanest possible program and do everything right and still have this sort of thing happen. Lots of people trying to pay top college athletes.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn’t make Zion look bad because basically all top recruits get improper benefits of some kind. He just got caught.

But the truth is, the coach could run the cleanest possible program and do everything right and still have this sort of thing happen. Lots of people trying to pay top college athletes.

Yep and most of this stuff happens off campus. It's impossible to keep track of 18-22 year olds 24/7.

At USC with the Reggie Bush stuff, it was taking place 3 1/2 hours away in San Diego.

All you can do is impress upon them how badly they can hurt the team and school if they take improper benefits and hope they make the right decision when someone offers them something.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep and most of this stuff happens off campus. It's impossible to keep track of 18-22 year olds 24/7.

At USC with the Reggie Bush stuff, it was taking place 3 1/2 hours away in San Diego.

All you can do is impress upon them how badly they can hurt the team and school if they take improper benefits and hope they make the right decision when someone offers them something.

Yeah.

but the reality is, most one and dones aren’t invested enough to care about that nearly as much as someone who is going to be in the program for 3+ years. And those are the guys most likely to get paid.

That and while probably not the case for Zion, many need $ for their families.

G league is a good alternative, but when they are still getting paid under the table to play in college, that is going to be more attractive to most guys, IMO.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.

but the reality is, most one and dones aren’t invested enough to care about that nearly as much as someone who is going to be in the program for 3+ years. And those are the guys most likely to get paid.

G league is a good alternative, but when they are still getting paid under the table to play in college, that is going to be more attractive to most guys, IMO.

Yes and no. Often, those players are paid just to get them into the school. That was part of what made Reggie Bush kind of an odd situation, he was already at the school.

But, I do agree that a kid who isn't even going to be on campus for a full academic year, isn't going to be worried about the damage after he's gone.

That's why I like the G-league alternative for the one and done caliber guys, especially since, if what I heard was correct, they'll be paid fairly well.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why should an elite prospect play at college if all they are interested in is the NBA? If a player wants the college experience and/or a degree, they can choose that route. They should not however be required to choose that route. Soon enough, those players will be eligible for the draft at 18 and the stop at the G League won't be required.

The NCAA has always bought top recruits despite their own rules against paying athletes. They are a joke, and since this is Duke we're talking about and not Louisville or Kentucky, hands may receive a gentle slap if anything.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.

I wonder if the G league is going to work. Even if the top prospects are playing in the league, I don’t think I will watch. I’ll still choose the nba and college hoops over it

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the G league is going to work. Even if the top prospects are playing in the league, I don’t think I will watch. I’ll still choose the nba and college hoops over it

Depends.

If they can get some legit big names, like the top 3-4 prospects in the class, they could build something.

But it takes landing players like Zion and LeBron, players with high marketability to make that happen.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except "he didn't get caught", Zion is being sued by an agent, and in an effort to get a settlement, the agent's lawyers are trying to shame Zion into a settlement, throwing Coach K, Zion, and the Duke basketball program under the bus with outrageous claims; none of which are proven to be true

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it would help the G-League.

I've checked out a few G-League games. They were okay, but didn't really hold my interest because I was watching a bunch of guys that, if they made it to the league, are mainly going to be end of the bench guys.

At least with top prospects, you can watch the development of some guys that are actually expected to do something in the NBA.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except "he didn't get caught", Zion is being sued by an agent, and in an effort to get a settlement, the agent's lawyers are trying to shame Zion into a settlement, throwing Coach K, Zion, and the Duke basketball program under the bus with outrageous claims; none of which are proven to be true

Semantics.

I would bet he received benefits in some form. Just like basically all major prospects do.

Denying that is naive at best.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semantics.

I would bet he received benefits in some form. Just like basically all major prospects do.

Denying that is naive at best.

I'm not denying whether he did or didn't, you said "he got caught" and that simply not true

It's not semantics, it's what you want to believe because you hate Duke and want to jump to a conclusion

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not denying whether he did or didn't, you said "he got caught" and that simply not true

It's not semantics, it's what you want to believe because you hate Duke and want to jump to a conclusion

LOL

Who is jumping to conclusions here?

Assuming that I hate Duke?

Ok dude.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Who is jumping to conclusions here?

Assuming that I hate Duke?

Ok dude.

So you’re telling me you know what you’re talking about when you say Zion got caught taking impermissible benefits. yeah buddy