• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zeke and Cowboys in trouble again

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But again the tagged years agents are paid and the CBA sets the salary and the agent didn’t negotiate that yet the agent gets paid for it. Obviously they are saying since the option year was attached to a contract they negotiated they get paid. Get it?
What I get is I already pointed out all the different things an agent will/can do in negotiating a tagged player. go back read it, or the articles given. Tired of repeating myself. hell even the rookie portions are set salaries, but have shown all the different things the agent can do for the player in that scenario. a tagged player & 5th year option is two entirely different things. The agent doesnt do anything in the 5th year option. A tagged player they do.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, they don’t have to decline anything. If they don’t notify the league they are picking up the option the player is a FA after 4. They don’t nullify anything. If the team says absolutely nothing it stays a four year contract and they didn’t nullify anything. You got it backwards

He’s wrong. The team doesn’t nullify anything. If they say and do nothing it stays for years. It’s actually the exact opposite they have to notify the league they will pick up the option.

Game on!
1st off that is not a thing.
They have to notify the league one way or the other. They let the league know even when they opt out of the 5th year option. there is no such thing as not doing anything from the team. Since in the contract it states the team will let the league know by May 3rd if they will pick up the 5th year option or decline it.

Now for your arguments sake. lets say a team doesnt let the league know by May 3rd. (they do nothing as you say)
Then they are in violation of the contract which would nullify the 5th year option.

A contract cant be changed. the 5th year option is already in the contract with no extra needed signature from the player or team. it takes signatures to make a Contract valid. It takes signatures to make any addendum to a contract valid.

it is up to the team if they decline the 5th year option. Giving the team an out. (opting out) Only then. Would the player have the right to negotiate a 5th year contract with whomever.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@jarntt to play devils advocate against my own point.
there is one way I can see the agent getting money from the 5th year option (without the union being able to be mad about even)
He puts his signature on it. that would make him officially apart of that 5th year option.

but the way I understand it (I am not PE1 talking in absolutes, so I could be wrong) is
the player/agent negotiate the 4 year rookie deal. once done the agent signs off on it (or whatever language you prefer to use)
Then the CBA adds the 5th year option. Since there is zero things that gets to be disputed not sure why the agent would get to be apart of that.

Now if for some reason the agent does get to look it over & does get to sign off on it. Then I would agree. He gets paid something from it. (signatures are king in a contract)

I guess all we really need to know. Is his signature on the option?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@jarntt to play devils advocate against my own point.
there is one way I can see the agent getting money from the 5th year option (without the union being able to be mad about even)
He puts his signature on it. that would make him officially apart of that 5th year option.

but the way I understand it (I am not PE1 talking in absolutes, so I could be wrong) is
the player/agent negotiate the 4 year rookie deal. once done the agent signs off on it (or whatever language you prefer to use)
Then the CBA adds the 5th year option. Since there is zero things that gets to be disputed not sure why the agent would get to be apart of that.

Now if for some reason the agent does get to look it over & does get to sign off on it. Then I would agree. He gets paid something from it. (signatures are king in a contract)

I guess all we really need to know. Is his signature on the option?
I certainly don't know for sure either. I'm going by general knowledge and from interpreting what was posted from the "guidebook" in this thread. I'm not sure the player/agent actually signs the 5th year option. I think we always hear about a player signing the tag but never the 5th year option. Some contract options have a mutual consent which requires approval by both parties and obviously both signatures. Others only require the consent of one party which is more how I think this works. If the team notifies the league they are exercising the 5th year option that may be all there is to it since the language needed to extend the contract is in the original contract and all terms of the original contract are still valid and in place. One would assume the player and agent still sign the option before executed but perhaps not? But, I'm not sure the agents signature on the contract technically matters in this case. I think what matters is the player he is representing receiving a salary.

Getting back to the point about the "work" that the agent does, I would say Zeke's agent is doing as much work right now as D Law's agent did to avoid the tag earlier this offseason and more than D Law's agent last year when Tank signed it the same day with no arguments or discussions. But, like a realtor, sometimes you get paid for a little work and sometimes for a lot of work so negotiating or not is not likely to affect his receiving a fee, just in this case the % received (drops to 1.5% max).

I'm sure at some point in time someone will come across a link or story stating definitively whether or not the agent receives his fee in these cases and post it here. Until then I'm not sure what else we can discuss as we are all just throwing around our opinions and none of us knows for sure.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly don't know for sure either. I'm going by general knowledge and from interpreting what was posted from the "guidebook" in this thread. I'm not sure the player/agent actually signs the 5th year option. I think we always hear about a player signing the tag but never the 5th year option. Some contract options have a mutual consent which requires approval by both parties and obviously both signatures. Others only require the consent of one party which is more how I think this works. If the team notifies the league they are exercising the 5th year option that may be all there is to it since the language needed to extend the contract is in the original contract and all terms of the original contract are still valid and in place. One would assume the player and agent still sign the option before executed but perhaps not? But, I'm not sure the agents signature on the contract technically matters in this case. I think what matters is the player he is representing receiving a salary.

Getting back to the point about the "work" that the agent does, I would say Zeke's agent is doing as much work right now as D Law's agent did to avoid the tag earlier this offseason and more than D Law's agent last year when Tank signed it the same day with no arguments or discussions. But, like a realtor, sometimes you get paid for a little work and sometimes for a lot of work so negotiating or not is not likely to affect his receiving a fee, just in this case the % received (drops to 1.5% max).

I'm sure at some point in time someone will come across a link or story stating definitively whether or not the agent receives his fee in these cases and post it here. Until then I'm not sure what else we can discuss as we are all just throwing around our opinions and none of us knows for sure.

I have searched this pretty intensively, but I can't find squat on it.

My interpretation is no pay, but I won't bet the house on it.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have searched this pretty intensively, but I can't find squat on it.

My interpretation is no pay, but I won't bet the house on it.[/QUOTE]
cmon most of them are lawyers do u honestly think they will let them earn money and not get part of it Im sure its in the contract between the agent and player:suds:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cmon most of them are lawyers do u honestly think they will let them earn money and not get part of it Im sure its in the contract between the agent and player:suds:

I think they are bound to the NFLPA Agent Agreement.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you don't understand the position and you wouldn't have the guts to tell a center he's the most unathletic and too slow to play along the line.

It’s the truth though. Maybe they’d whoop my ass but at least I was honest.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here you couldn't be more wrong.
Think about it. The Agent Agreement states no compensation for CBA awarded benefits, then it goes on to state specifically compensation for CBA controlled Franchise Tags, yet it doesn't say squat about agents getting compensation for the CBA controlled 5th year option.

With to no commission for CBA controlled benefits and payments, in order for agents to charge clients for the option it would have to be spelled out in full just as the FT is.

My guess is the early version of the Agreement didn't allow compensation for the FT, and agents balked because that's the year the work the hardest for each client.
In order to be paid for the option year the agreement must state it verbatim.

Well it actually does say that verbatim but that won’t stop you.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st off that is not a thing.
They have to notify the league one way or the other. They let the league know even when they opt out of the 5th year option. there is no such thing as not doing anything from the team. Since in the contract it states the team will let the league know by May 3rd if they will pick up the 5th year option or decline it.

Now for your arguments sake. lets say a team doesnt let the league know by May 3rd. (they do nothing as you say)
Then they are in violation of the contract which would nullify the 5th year option.

A contract cant be changed. the 5th year option is already in the contract with no extra needed signature from the player or team. it takes signatures to make a Contract valid. It takes signatures to make any addendum to a contract valid.

it is up to the team if they decline the 5th year option. Giving the team an out. (opting out) Only then. Would the player have the right to negotiate a 5th year contract with whomever.

No they don’t have to notify the league one way or the other. If they say nothing it remains a 4 year contract.
And that’s not what opting out is either.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I get is I already pointed out all the different things an agent will/can do in negotiating a tagged player. go back read it, or the articles given. Tired of repeating myself. hell even the rookie portions are set salaries, but have shown all the different things the agent can do for the player in that scenario. a tagged player & 5th year option is two entirely different things. The agent doesnt do anything in the 5th year option. A tagged player they do.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read it. And like Jarntt informed you they do the same thing before and during the 5th year option. There work for the player doesn’t cease during and before the 5th year.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read it. And like Jarntt informed you they do the same thing before and during the 5th year option. There work for the player doesn’t cease during and before the 5th year.
dealing with future contracts has nothing to do with being paid for current contracts.
Agents get paid for all option years.
that they negotiate.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they don’t have to notify the league one way or the other. If they say nothing it remains a 4 year contract.
And that’s not what opting out is either.
Declined 5th-Year Options Could Leave Host of Former Top NFL Talents Available

A glut of once-highly regarded talent could be on the move after multiple teams turned down fifth-year options on rookie contracts from the 2016 NFL draft.

Teams declined a surprising number of options, which makes the players in question free agents in 2020.

So what exactly is the fifth-year option? Essentially, it’s a way to extend a player’s rookie contract by an extra year, at the club’s discretion. Players don’t have any say in whether or not these options are picked up, though players and teams are still free to negotiate longer-term contracts that would render the fifth-year option unnecessary. Otherwise though, the decision is in the hands of the team, and must be made by May 3 in the player’s fourth season.

Well if they did nothing all these would say didnt pick up option. The team wouldnt need to decline the option. (these are all copy & pastes from the net)
Also Declining is opting out of the option.

Just like Foles opted out of his option. (because it is already in the contract)

heres more

No surprise here, but the Jets will decline the 2020 fifth-year option on linebacker Darron Lee, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News (Twitter link). Lee, who has been a rumored trade candidate for a long time, is on course for unrestricted free agency following the 2019 season.

The Raiders opted to decline the safety’s fifth-year option, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reports (on Twitter). Jon Gruden confirmed this Friday

The Buffalo Bills will decline the fifth-year option on the former No. 19 overall selection, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Wednesday.

Last year, 12 fifth-year options were declined. The year before, nine players were declined or released before their rookie contracts were up. So 14 of 31 isn’t that far off the norm. But it’s a high number.

Just because a player doesn’t get the fifth year picked up doesn’t mean he’s a bust. Chicago Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller might be the best example of a player breaking out in his fourth year after having his option declined.

There is a shit ton more showing when a team "declines" the 5th year option. As you can see. They arent hard to find.

Last edited: