• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Your Texas Rangers at the Colorado Rockies 5/5 - 5/6

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got 2 HR last night which were part amazing of stroke, and lucky of field, or else Perez did alright. Not great, but OK.

But our offense went right back to where it was and it pains me to say this - honestly it does - but why wasn't JPA back in the lineup?

We've struggled, struggled, struggled all season, and when we have a good game I wouldn't have changed a thing (other than starting pitching) the next night.

What did we have to lose by rolling with that 14 run lineup for one more game?

:agree:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more night would not matter that much.

The downside is JPA's BA/OBP. And the 2 hole had to be corrected.

JPA's numbers are what they are. Me personally....I'd had him on assignment before Sun.

But DT....we're a friggin MASH unit out there now, and I get it.

But once the unit jells, why not try to see if this unit just might roll for another game.

How cool would that have been?

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been a reoccurring theme for a few years now... Big offensive blowout one night - a struggle to score runs the next night. Wasnt surprised at the effort given last night.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been a reoccurring theme for a few years now... Big offensive blowout one night - a struggle to score runs the next night. Wasnt surprised at the effort given last night.

I'm with ya and I get it. One game makes not-so-much.

But for the first time this season, their was a relaxed feel, laughter and truly positive vibes all round.

I just wanted to roll with it another game, and see no facility in the reasoning.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time would also be an issue, how quickly could they get the call in, often times its not until the pitcher is getting ready to throw the next pitch doe sthe pitch track show up, pitcher and batter need to know well before that and you can't hold up the game waiting to determine the call

If done correctly, time shouldn't be an issue at all. I mean we can track the trajectory of colliding sub atomic particles moving near the speed of light virtually live. Compared to that, you would figure tracking a baseball going much much slower would be even easier. Technically you should be able to have a result in less than a millisecond after the ball hits the catchers glove- but likely much faster. The only speed worth mention is the data processing speed, signals from detectors will travel pretty much instantly. And now days pc's them selves are very fast let alone the processors that are available for industry. It would be completely realistic to expect a system such as this to mark a pitch as a ball or a strike before an ump even started to say ball or strike.

I think most of the delay you see in pitch trackers like you see on MLB.com ect. are likely just due to their servers and other functions taking some priority. Also, the signal is likely traveling from detectors, to a local server and then to MLB, then back to our computer. This takes a little more time than it would to just travel to the local server.

My main concern would be with precision and or malfunction.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pitched from the time I was 10 through my sophomore year in college. Then in the over 30 league for a few years.

So here's my sandlot take on umpiring behind the plate: As long as you call the same pitches balls or strikes for both teams, then I don't give a shit. Be consistent, and let the pitchers figure it out. It shouldn't take a big boy pitcher longer than 3-5 batters or so to figure out the ump has a "low outside" zone tonight or "inside and up." Just as long as he calls it both ways for both teams the entire game, I'm fine with it.

Perhaps I'm a simpleton.

I don't think that makes you a simpleton... I think this is actually what most prefer which is also fine and likely to stay the case. I guess the issue really is that you can't force an ump to b consistent.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yessss... He finally got it. Maybe it will start a streak.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I just heard Buzz and Tag say is Martin is just there until Andrus gets hot. Martin May be there 1 game or more. Even if Martin is hot at the 2 hole if Andrus gets hot at the bottom of the order Andrus would move back to the 2 spot. Am I wrong in wondering if they hit where they are in the batting order why would you move them?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already ranted about how bad the umpiring is getting.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I just heard Buzz and Tag say is Martin is just there until Andrus gets hot. Martin May be there 1 game or more. Even if Martin is hot at the 2 hole if Andrus gets hot at the bottom of the order Andrus would move back to the 2 spot. Am I wrong in wondering if they hit where they are in the batting order why would you move them?
Not wrong. No logic in their thinking.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you can't beat 'em, hit 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I understand what you are saying about consistency. But if it is consistently bad and a pitch that the hitter does not have a chance to do anything with then it needs to be corrected. I played a lot of ball myself as a 3rd baseman and as a hitter if that is a strike I am hosed. And Choo was about to be as well and Beltre would have had to corkscrew himself to hit his 2 pitches.

OK.....I sorta agree to disagree here. After all....I'm a former pitcher. haha

If the field of play is level, yet consistent, I can live with this so much better than this all over the friggin map with balls and strikes. That's all I'm saying

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is starting to remind me of the Oakland series. Our pitching is just getting destroyed.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ross surprised me early on but lately it looks like Tepesch needs to come up and Ross to the pen. Like to see Ross turn it around here.