• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Your Texas Rangers at the Colorado Rockies 5/5 - 5/6

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If done correctly, time shouldn't be an issue at all. I mean we can track the trajectory of colliding sub atomic particles moving near the speed of light virtually live. Compared to that, you would figure tracking a baseball going much much slower would be even easier. Technically you should be able to have a result in less than a millisecond after the ball hits the catchers glove- but likely much faster. The only speed worth mention is the data processing speed, signals from detectors will travel pretty much instantly. And now days pc's them selves are very fast let alone the processors that are available for industry. It would be completely realistic to expect a system such as this to mark a pitch as a ball or a strike before an ump even started to say ball or strike.

I think most of the delay you see in pitch trackers like you see on MLB.com ect. are likely just due to their servers and other functions taking some priority. Also, the signal is likely traveling from detectors, to a local server and then to MLB, then back to our computer. This takes a little more time than it would to just travel to the local server.

My main concern would be with precision and or malfunction.

There in lies your problem, which is still the issue that I brought up previously, relaying the information, accurately, efficiently and effectively to the players on the field,

When the ump calls the balls or strikes the pitcher and hitter immediately know what the call is, they don't have to look and see what the count is on some monitor and can immediately starting planning for the next pitch

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3: walked the pitcher! Good eye Robbie

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walking an AL pitcher...man that's embarrassing...will we make him pay for it??

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A runner would have gone to third and that would have been a double

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo's salary this year is 14 million, he's already accumulated 7.3 million (1.3 WAR) in value before tonight's game

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nicasio has not been that good. We need to get to this guy soon.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I can see where this game is going. :thumbsdown:

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God bless you, AB

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ross did a good job getting out of that nonsensical inning.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JPA has been on these pitches much better than before. I would like to see him get more ABs going forward just to see if he can supply us some power.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we're still in this one

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There in lies your problem, which is still the issue that I brought up previously, relaying the information, accurately, efficiently and effectively to the players on the field,

When the ump calls the balls or strikes the pitcher and hitter immediately know what the call is, they don't have to look and see what the count is on some monitor and can immediately starting planning for the next pitch

I'm not sure how that is a problem... as I explained in the previous paragraph, players and fans at the game could actually know whether a pitch was a strike or a ball even faster than an ump could say the word ball or strike. The relay time of the information doesn't matter when information is processed on site. The delay I was talking about is what you see on your computer. The bottom line is the technology exists where the delay time could be reduced to what we would perceived to be instant- therefore the tempo of the game would not be impacted. What could impact it is if somehow the system malfunctioned and in that case they home plate ump could take over until the situation was stabilized.

I think you bring up a interesting point about the media you use to deliver the calls. There are lots of ways they could do this. They could still announce calls automatically too and use some sort of monitor system. The ump could just read the call. There are lots of possibilities.

Personally, I think its a good idea but it is not likely to happen for another 25 years or so if ever. Right now they just use cameras as detectors and the method could be refined much more. I presume if MLB was going to move to such a method the would research it a ton and throw a ton of money at it to make it as good as possible.

They might not want to even invest the cash though.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ross is the biggest offensive threat we've got...well I guess not...

Last edited by a moderator: