• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Your Texas Rangers at the Colorado Rockies 5/5 - 5/6

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis does... Prince does... watch when either of them gets a big hit.

Sometimes its an "x" motion, other times...its like pulling a string/rope tight. (hands in...then move away from each other)
Elvis showed excitement last night.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having a good feeling about Ross pitching against this team tonight. back.

Have to expect that CO will score some runs. Their offense is on fire. Need to get our offense lit up too. Won't be too surprised if we out slug them tonight.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to expect that CO will score some runs. Their offense is on fire. Need to get our offense lit up too. Won't be too surprised if we out slug them tonight.

Hope you are right but don't see that happening. Hope the bad Nicasio shows up.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't do the claw and antlers anymore. Literally every other team in the league copied them

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nicasio is capable of pitching well, but pitching in CO is tough for even good pitchers. He is particularly vulnerable to LHB. Big opportunity for Choo, Fielder, Martin, et al to take advantage of the altitude. Beltre also looks to be heating up. I won't be at all surprised if the offense puts up double digits.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have to rant with you all today. Last night Beltre struck out in the 1st taking strike 2 and 3. Beltre does not do that. Neither pitch was a strike and Beltre knew it and bit his lip. Choo had a 3-0 count and strike 1 and 2 were clearly outside and low and both times Choo started to head to 1st and we know Choo has a good eye. At that point Choo is hung out to dry. If the same pitch is made he will be able to do nothing with it. The next pitch was outside but belt high and looked better than the first two and walked. Now I do not care if an ump is consistent if his consistency is to the point that either a pitcher or hitter are at a clear disadvantage. If the ump is consistently bad on Choo a 3rd time Choo is going to be out. MLB needs to somehow get tougher on the all import job of calling the game behind the plate. Not sure what can be done except someone needs to be on them on a consistent basis until an ump begins to adjust what he has called a strike a ball and vice versa. Mistakes will still be made but they should not be allowed to make the same bad call over and over. And they need to make umps accountable. In the case of what happened with the Yankees and Laz Dias who is a known showboat and idiot should be banned from the game for what he did. And that is not the first time he has done it. Nothing would have happened but Dias could not let it go and clearly was the instigator. And he should never be allowed to point his finger in someone's face. And he had not been the only umpire who thinks the game is about him. That had got to stop.

Okay-I go that off my chest. Go Rangers!

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have to rant with you all today. Last night Beltre struck out in the 1st taking strike 2 and 3. Beltre does not do that. Neither pitch was a strike and Beltre knew it and bit his lip. Choo had a 3-0 count and strike 1 and 2 were clearly outside and low and both times Choo started to head to 1st and we know Choo has a good eye. At that point Choo is hung out to dry. If the same pitch is made he will be able to do nothing with it. The next pitch was outside but belt high and looked better than the first two and walked. Now I do not care if an ump is consistent if his consistency is to the point that either a pitcher or hitter are at a clear disadvantage. If the ump is consistently bad on Choo a 3rd time Choo is going to be out. MLB needs to somehow get tougher on the all import job of calling the game behind the plate. Not sure what can be done except someone needs to be on them on a consistent basis until an ump begins to adjust what he has called a strike a ball and vice versa. Mistakes will still be made but they should not be allowed to make the same bad call over and over. And they need to make umps accountable. In the case of what happened with the Yankees and Laz Dias who is a known showboat and idiot should be banned from the game for what he did. And that is not the first time he has done it. Nothing would have happened but Dias could not let it go and clearly was the instigator. And he should never be allowed to point his finger in someone's face. And he had not been the only umpire who thinks the game is about him. That had got to stop.

Okay-I go that off my chest. Go Rangers!

I agree, that's a problem that needs to be fixed. I may be in the minority but I feel like if we have the technology to do this more accurately by computer, it is sort of silly not to use it. I mean sure, computers can make errors at times too, but they are still more accurate and consistent. Someone might say but what if it malfunctions or breaks during a game. If this is the case, you still need home plate ump to make plays at the plate calls. He could still be trained to call balls and strikes and take over the game at that point. Simple fix.

I guess the only issue here is I really don't know how precise the detecting systems used for pitch tracking are and what sort of tests have been done on them. Perhaps there are still some major bugs that never get mentioned when we are just seeing the pitch tracking in the game.

At the very least though, if they are pretty precise. We could at least make a live image of the pitches trajectory available to the ump directly after the pitch, so if its borderline he has tool to reference to decide what the call should be. Could be some sort of tablet device he could hold in his hand- maybe could also be used to track counts.

Also, that trajectory could be shared with fans on tv at times which would hold the ump more accountable about his call.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They got 2 HR last night which were part amazing of stroke, and lucky of field, or else Perez did alright. Not great, but OK.

But our offense went right back to where it was and it pains me to say this - honestly it does - but why wasn't JPA back in the lineup?

We've struggled, struggled, struggled all season, and when we have a good game I wouldn't have changed a thing (other than starting pitching) the next night.

What did we have to lose by rolling with that 14 run lineup for one more game?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, that's a problem that needs to be fixed. I may be in the minority but I feel like if we have the technology to do this more accurately by computer, it is sort of silly not to use it. I mean sure, computers can make errors at times too, but they are still more accurate and consistent. Someone might say but what if it malfunctions or breaks during a game. If this is the case, you still need home plate ump to make plays at the plate calls. He could still be trained to call balls and strikes and take over the game at that point. Simple fix.

I guess the only issue here is I really don't know how precise the detecting systems used for pitch tracking are and what sort of tests have been done on them. Perhaps there are still some major bugs that never get mentioned when we are just seeing the pitch tracking in the game.

At the very least though, if they are pretty precise. We could at least make a live image of the pitches trajectory available to the ump directly after the pitch, so if its borderline he has tool to reference to decide what the call should be. Could be some sort of tablet device he could hold in his hand- maybe could also be used to track counts.

Also, that trajectory could be shared with fans on tv at times which would hold the ump more accountable about his call.

I pitched from the time I was 10 through my sophomore year in college. Then in the over 30 league for a few years.

So here's my sandlot take on umpiring behind the plate: As long as you call the same pitches balls or strikes for both teams, then I don't give a shit. Be consistent, and let the pitchers figure it out. It shouldn't take a big boy pitcher longer than 3-5 batters or so to figure out the ump has a "low outside" zone tonight or "inside and up." Just as long as he calls it both ways for both teams the entire game, I'm fine with it.

Perhaps I'm a simpleton.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got 2 HR last night which were part amazing of stroke, and lucky of field, or else Perez did alright. Not great, but OK.

But our offense went right back to where it was and it pains me to say this - honestly it does - but why wasn't JPA back in the lineup?

We've struggled, struggled, struggled all season, and when we have a good game I wouldn't have changed a thing (other than starting pitching) the next night.

What did we have to lose by rolling with that 14 run lineup for one more game?

I said the same thing about leaving the line up the same (besides the 2 hole) before the game yesterday.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said the same thing about leaving the line up the same (besides the 2 hole) before the game yesterday.

Ya know, the results would probably have been the same regardless. But here again is how I look at it: Fuck the 2 hole. If the 2 hole does nothing and yet we score 14 runs a game we'll win the WS.

We both know that's pie-in-the-sky silliness. But my serious point is, since we haven't jelled offensively for so long, why not let it roll for one more game and see what happens?

I fail to see the downside?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Time would also be an issue, how quickly could they get the call in, often times its not until the pitcher is getting ready to throw the next pitch doe sthe pitch track show up, pitcher and batter need to know well before that and you can't hold up the game waiting to determine the call

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, the results would probably have been the same regardless. But here again is how I look at it: Fuck the 2 hole. If the 2 hole does nothing and yet we score 14 runs a game we'll win the WS.

We both know that's pie-in-the-sky silliness. But my serious point is, since we haven't jelled offensively for so long, why not let it roll for one more game and see what happens?

I fail to see the downside?
One more night would not matter that much.

The downside is JPA's BA/OBP. And the 2 hole had to be corrected.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pitched from the time I was 10 through my sophomore year in college. Then in the over 30 league for a few years.

So here's my sandlot take on umpiring behind the plate: As long as you call the same pitches balls or strikes for both teams, then I don't give a shit. Be consistent, and let the pitchers figure it out. It shouldn't take a big boy pitcher longer than 3-5 batters or so to figure out the ump has a "low outside" zone tonight or "inside and up." Just as long as he calls it both ways for both teams the entire game, I'm fine with it.

Perhaps I'm a simpleton.

I disagree. I understand what you are saying about consistency. But if it is consistently bad and a pitch that the hitter does not have a chance to do anything with then it needs to be corrected. I played a lot of ball myself as a 3rd baseman and as a hitter if that is a strike I am hosed. And Choo was about to be as well and Beltre would have had to corkscrew himself to hit his 2 pitches.