• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your last place Texas Rangers return home to face the Yanks for 4 - May 17-20

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a good night for Nate

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest MLB Pipeline mock draft has us taking Lawlar after the Pirates take SS Marcelo Mayer. They have Rocker going 7th.

They added this caveat:

"We can't emphasize this enough -- this wasn't a projection of which player each club will take on July 11. Instead, Callis and Mayo tabbed the prospects based on their own personal preferences."

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest MLB Pipeline mock draft has us taking Lawlar after the Pirates take SS Marcelo Mayer. They have Rocker going 7th.

They added this caveat:

"We can't emphasize this enough -- this wasn't a projection of which player each club will take on July 11. Instead, Callis and Mayo tabbed the prospects based on their own personal preferences."

where did they have Leiter?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guys title is Fangraphs Lead Prospect Analyst.

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lyles outpitched Cole. Never would have called that.
The 1st inning was shaky but after that it was Koufax on the mound.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leiter 3 and Henry Davis 4.

If Leiter isn't taken at 1, the Rangers are fools not to take him. Broken record from me, I know.

I understand the philosophy of "you take the best player available," but that assumes that your organization has a track record of drafting and developing pitching. The Rangers do not. The idea for them should be to take the best pitcher available. Especially considering the musical chairs of position players analysts are ranking in the top 5. There's no clear cut "#1 guy" on that side of the ball, which just strengthens my opinion that their pick should be a pitcher.

I'll add: some could say the poor track record the team has is why they should stay away from drafting pitchers. If the franchise wants to have sustained success, they need to improve that area of development, and I think a lot of these new FO people are here for that exact reason.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Leiter isn't taken at 1, the Rangers are fools not to take him. Broken record from me, I know.

I understand the philosophy of "you take the best player available," but that assumes that your organization has a track record of drafting and developing pitching. The Rangers do not. The idea for them should be to take the best pitcher available. Especially considering the musical chairs of position players analysts are ranking in the top 5. There's no clear cut "#1 guy" on that side of the ball, which just strengthens my opinion that their pick should be a pitcher.

I'll add: some could say the poor track record the team has is why they should stay away from drafting pitchers. If the franchise wants to have sustained success, they need to improve that area of development, and I think a lot of these new FO people are here for that exact reason.
I agree. I will had, if Leiter is taken first, then the Rangers would be fools to not take Rocker.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

its Pretty simple at this point. Leiter or rocker. If the pirates make the decision for you by taking one of them, then take the guy left.

leiter or rocker probably project to be AT WORST solid #3 starters. Who wouldn’t want that? Just pick em.

im not a fan of Kip Fagg so he might fuck this up which is pretty damn sad.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its Pretty simple at this point. Leiter or rocker. If the pirates make the decision for you by taking one of them, then take the guy left.

leiter or rocker probably project to be AT WORST solid #3 starters. Who wouldn’t want that? Just pick em.

im not a fan of Kip Fagg so he might fuck this up which is pretty damn sad.

We have no way of knowing what recommendations Kip gives the FO.

Reminds me of the scout for the Astros that discovered Jeter. He made it very clear that Jeter was the pick. The Astros went a different direction, and the scout immediately resigned from the franchise.

All the scouting department does is give their report to the FO, but the decision on who to actually draft is 100% on the head honchos.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This kid is my favorite prospect. He probably isn't the best prospect we have, but he is my favorite. I sure hope he stays healthy and excels this year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no way of knowing what recommendations Kip gives the FO.

Reminds me of the scout for the Astros that discovered Jeter. He made it very clear that Jeter was the pick. The Astros went a different direction, and the scout immediately resigned from the franchise.

All the scouting department does is give their report to the FO, but the decision on who to actually draft is 100% on the head honchos.
I look at it this way. If we make bad picks consistently it is either the scouts fault or the FO fault. Even if it is entirely the scouting department's decision, it is the FO that decided to hire them, trust them, and retain them. Therefore, the FO has to be held accountable.

If a couple of those guys from last year's draft are actually really good players, then we might need to reevaluate how we feel about the job the club has done in drafting.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at it this way. If we make bad picks consistently it is either the scouts fault or the FO fault. Even if it is entirely the scouting department's decision, it is the FO that decided to hire them, trust them, and retain them. Therefore, the FO has to be held accountable.

If a couple of those guys from last year's draft are actually really good players, then we might need to reevaluate how we feel about the job the club has done in drafting.

I'm curious to see the next couple of years when it comes to drafting and development. There are new voices in the conversation, some coming from positions that haven't existed before this year. Based on what I've seen from the minors so far this year, I think things are off to a good start.

I'm assuming the idea is that by 2022/3, the plan will start to come to fruition at the major league level.