• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your 2nd favorite team

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Add in Fort Sam and there is a lot of military influence in SA. Same for Fort Bliss/Holloman AFB in Alamogordo/White Sands Missile Range around EP. There are a lot of EP natives that have matriculated to DFW, Houston, SA and Austin for work/military.

My family are also EP transplants, and I always followed UTEP sports. I can't even count how many of my relatives are UTEP alumni, and i still go to EP about 3 times a year to visit fam. Worst drive ever though, thank god my uncle lives in Fort Stockton so i can cut the drive in half.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've rooted for Notre Dame in football and Marquette in basketball my entire life but I also casually root for the Badgers in both sports, but I live and die with the Fighting Irish football. I also like Duke basketball and root for them along with the UCONN women since my pa follows both of those programs too. I know that seems a tad bit complicated but that's how I roll.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My family are also EP transplants, and I always followed UTEP sports. I can't even count how many of my relatives are UTEP alumni, and i still go to EP about 3 times a year to visit fam. Worst drive ever though, thank god my uncle lives in Fort Stockton so i can cut the drive in half.
Fort Stockton to Ozona is the worst stretch of highway in the US IMHO. 111 miles of nothing unless the Pecos River bridge counts.

True story: Anthony is the furthest west school in Texas. At mile marker zero on I-10. They hired a bb coach from Des Moines, Iowa one year. He asked us if he could have a ride to the state basketball tournament in Austin. We said sure, be at the truck stop on the East side at 6:00 am on Wednesday. We start driving. When we get to Fort Stockton he asked, "Are we getting close to Austin?" After we got up off the ground from laughing, we informed him we were about half way. His response was something like, "Shit. At home I'd have already driven across the rest of Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and half of Ohio by now!" The other quote I remember from him is at halftime of the first state tournament game on Thursday morning...a Class 1A semifinal. He said "If this is 1A, I can't wait to see 5A!" Needless to say his frame of reference was a smaller state, both geographically and in population.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fort Stockton to Ozona is the worst stretch of highway in the US IMHO. 111 miles of nothing unless the Pecos River bridge counts.

True story: Anthony is the furthest west school in Texas. At mile marker zero on I-10. They hired a bb coach from Des Moines, Iowa one year. He asked us if he could have a ride to the state basketball tournament in Austin. We said sure, be at the truck stop on the East side at 6:00 am on Wednesday. We start driving. When we get to Fort Stockton he asked, "Are we getting close to Austin?" After we got up off the ground from laughing, we informed him we were about half way. His response was something like, "Shit. At home I'd have already driven across the rest of Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and half of Ohio by now!" The other quote I remember from him is at halftime of the first state tournament game on Thursday morning...a Class 1A semifinal. He said "If this is 1A, I can't wait to see 5A!" Needless to say his frame of reference was a smaller state, both geographically and in population.

I love going to see my family in EP, but that drive honestly keeps me away. Anthony is the school near the outlets, right?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston because I live here.

and...yes.....

Texas because it was always a great party to watch the games in Austin.

Of course, Oklahoma will always have a place in my heart

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love going to see my family in EP, but that drive honestly keeps me away. Anthony is the school near the outlets, right?
You do realize that EP is closer to San Diego than Houston?

Actually Canutillo is closer to the outlets. Anthony is further north about halfway to Las Cruces. For years, Canutillo had an interesting fact that most people wouldn't believe. Until they built a new HS out on I-10, they were the only school district in the state of Texas that had a campus on the other side of the Rio Grande! The river turns north in that area and there is a small strip of Texas west of the river that abuts New Mexico. You turned west off the old highway, crossed the Rio Grande and among the irrigated farmland sat Canutillo HS and the administration building for Canutillo ISD. I won a lot of bets off that tidbit.

Here's another one. There is a BBQ place appropriately named The State Line that sits next to Sunland Park Racetrack. The restaurant is in Texas and the bar in New Mexico or vice versa. The upper valley gets very muddled as to which state you are in.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that EP is closer to San Diego than Houston?

Actually Canutillo is closer to the outlets. Anthony is further north about halfway to Las Cruces. For years, Canutillo had an interesting fact that most people wouldn't believe. Until they built a new HS out on I-10, they were the only school district in the state of Texas that had a campus on the other side of the Rio Grande! The river turns north in that area and there is a small strip of Texas west of the river that abuts New Mexico. You turned west off the old highway, crossed the Rio Grande and among the irrigated farmland sat Canutillo HS and the administration building for Canutillo ISD. I won a lot of bets off that tidbit.

Here's another one. There is a BBQ place appropriately named The State Line that sits next to Sunland Park Racetrack. The restaurant is in Texas and the bar in New Mexico or vice versa. The upper valley gets very muddled as to which state you are in.

I've been to the state line, and Sunland park. I don't go west EP too much, since most of my family lives in Fabens or East EP. I will be there in march, might have to take the wife to state line.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally, a thread for MY needs

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm like the Navy and College Football is my hoes: I got one in every port!