• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yes!

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what happens, do not hire Brian "Red Face" Kelly.

brian-kelly.jpg

I'm done with the no NFL HC experience landing the jobs!! (Mooch would've done a better job if the GM would've worked with him). Spend the damn money on someone with a good track record. Turning head coaches every 3 or 4 years like tricks is ridiculous. Schwartz has 4 years experience with another three years on his contract if I'm mistaken. YES, I would ride Schwartz contract an extra year if need be to get an HC with nfl experience and a good track record for the HC position.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm done with the no NFL HC experience landing the jobs!! (Mooch would've done a better job if the GM would've worked with him). Spend the damn money on someone with a good track record. Turning head coaches every 3 or 4 years like tricks is ridiculous. Schwartz has 4 years experience with another three years on his contract if I'm mistaken. YES, I would ride Schwartz contract an extra year if need be to get an HC with nfl experience and a good track record for the HC position.

I find myself agreeing with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the draft, yes, Schwartz has input into the selections, but the ultimate decision is indeed Mayhew's. That's what he's paid to do- collect talented players and build the roster. To say that Schwartz has been building a team through the draft just isn't right- it's giving him credit that he isn't due...

Hey, I'm sorry for leaving Mayhew out of the picture, had no idea that it would matter to type in another person name when Mayhew isn't in the discussion.

I'm not saying that info doesn't get back to the brass, I'm saying they simply don't care.

Schwartz addresses a lot in his interviews.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I'm sorry for leaving Mayhew out of the picture, had no idea that it would matter to type in another person name when Mayhew isn't in the discussion.

Huh? That doesn't make sense, guy.

You said Schwartz is building a team through the draft, and I countered that Mayhew is the one making the draft day decisions. Don't try to shift the topic here. I don't like Schwartz, and I won't try to say otherwise, but let's stay on the topic at hand and not try to make this debate into something it isn't.

You support Schwartz, which is just fine, but you gave him credit for something he didn't do as a reason why you support him, and I pointed out that it was incorrect. It's not about Mayhew at all...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that I love every "scrub" we sign (and apparently all of our non-Pro Bowl players are scrubs, I've come to find out), but I am willing to do some research on who they are, what attributes they bring, what they're good at, etc... I'm sorry if it bothers you that I don't just look at us signing a guy and say "just a scrub, he sucks" especially the guys who are likely to make the squad. Imo, there's not a guy on the 53 man roster who is a scrub. If you're good enough to be one of 53 players on a roster that's made up of the best tackle football players in the world, then you're anything but a scrub.

Role players have value, even if they're not star players.

As for Schwartz, how can you expect me not to hold his win/loss record against him!? He's our head coach, last I knew he was paid to win football games, period. Win-loss is pretty much the key metric in evaluating a head coach. I know we've grown too accustomed to losing, but I just can't see the logic in backing a proven loser like Schwartz.

He's taken us to the playoffs once in 4 seasons. I can understand your logic that he had nothing to work with when he got here- he even showed improvement for 3 straight years. Then came last year's meltdown. Rather than continuing to improve, he took our team 3 years backwards as far as the win-loss record went.

The turning point for me was the Houston game on national TV on Thanksgiving. His temper-tantrum (which wasn't the first one, won't be the last) literally cost us the game. How on Earth a man who's at the pinnacle of his profession can do that and not be replaced the next day is beyond me. Imo, there's no excuse out there for a coach to fail his team on such a grand scale. Schwartz literally lost us a game on national television! I'm sorry, but I just can't accept that and continue to support him. If he was otherwise a winner, and this was an isolated incident which he apologized for, then I'd look at it differently. But it's not, and he really didn't apologize to the fans for it, which rubs me the wrong way. The crap w/ Jim Harbaugh is another prime example of his temper embarrassing Lions fans on national TV. It's a pattern I'm getting tired of. It's bad enough that we're know for our losing and ineptitude, do we really have to have a coach who's so childish that he's routinely the punchline for articles and Sports-Center clips at his expense?

He's just an arrogant dick who's ego is so big that it prevents him from realizing his shortcomings as a coach, and then correcting them. Imo, to be a good coach one has to be able to do some self-reflection and fix what he's doing wrong. For me, at least, Schwartz comes across as a guy who thinks he's the very best football mind in the world, and the only reason he doesn't win every game is because the rest of the world just isn't up to his football IQ. The way he treats the collective fan base in his pressers is simply abhorrent, imo. He's indicated multiple times that we don't know what we're talking about and should mind our own business. Being as how the fans pay his salary, you'd think he'd try to be a little less of a dickhole towards us.

I really think, like I already said, that my breaking point for Schwartz was that Houston game. When you're paid to lead men and win games, and then you single-handedly lose a crucial game because of your childish temper, there's no coming back from that, imo. I think all of the in-game discipline problems we have (cheap penalties, personal fouls, etc...) are a direct result of Schwartz's leadership style. The players watch him melt-down and act like a petulant child on a regular basis, so they act the same way when they're on the field.

This is all just my opinion, feel free to form and hold your own, but for me Schwartz has shown far too little in the way of leadership and coaching ability for me to support him any longer, to say nothing of his 3 year old temper tantrums...
That was waaaaay too long of a response for me to handle man. But I made thru the first paragraph, the scrub paragraph. And it's my opinion that guys who don't get drafted, and aren't going to bring a draft pick pick back in return if traded, (Bell....) are scrubs. I'll get to the other 8 paragraphs(hopefully at least one deals with you being Anti-Schwartz, and how you're wrong for having that opinion) at some point, but it might take awhile.... Rita washed, then dried my IPhone, and my corrugated house doesn't have wi-fi.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew you were going to go all Texans game on me.... I knew it!!! My boy Hanson cost us that game too, but Jimbo did basically buttfuck his own team by tossing the red flag. (only the Lions get that call, or don't get that call, either way you wanna look at it, but I saw several teams get their hanky handed back when they did exactly what Jim did). Two paragraphs down....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did own that loss though, I might find the clip on YouTube if my friend doesn't ask for his phone back for a few minutes.... Or I might not.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's was Jimmys record as DC at Tennessee. I really don't know but since we hired him I'm hoping it was better then the one we have.

I'm not pro or anti Schwartz right now, but I do know Jim Leyland sucks balls!!!!!!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was waaaaay too long of a response for me to handle man. But I made thru the first paragraph, the scrub paragraph. And it's my opinion that guys who don't get drafted, and aren't going to bring a draft pick pick back in return if traded, (Bell....) are scrubs. I'll get to the other 8 paragraphs(hopefully at least one deals with you being Anti-Schwartz, and how you're wrong for having that opinion) at some point, but it might take awhile.... Rita washed, then dried my IPhone, and my corrugated house doesn't have wi-fi.

Lol, the rest all deal w/ Schwartz...

As for the scrubs thing I consider a guy a scrub who gets cut in training camp, or rather, at the end of camp. There's even a few guys who get cut that aren't scrubs, and they make the practice squad, or sign somewhere else. I'd consider the 2nd part of your assessment pretty accurate: a scrub won't bring back any pick in a trade.

Imo, Bell is no longer a scrub after his season last year. He would net a 6th or 7th round pick no problem after hauling in 50+ passes as a 2nd string RB. He's proven that he has value in a backfield.

To me, scrubs are these guys cycling through the roster to get us to a 90 man limit. The guys that are getting cut now, this early, are really scrubs. Some guys, like Bell, bounce around a bit before being given a chance to play, but most of the guys getting cut this early are total scrubs.

Like I said in the paragraph that u read, I don't think there's any scrubs on a 53 man roster. Not at the NFL level at least...

That sucks about ur iphone, I thought laundry was supposed to be on of the specialties of her people? Although I've heard the true secret is Calgon. :laugh3:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the fuck is Schwartz a PROVEN loser!?!!?!?!?!!!
His career record as a head coach is 22-42 man. He's literally lost almost twice as many games as he's won. He'd need 3 10+ win seasons in a row just to get back to a .500 win percentage.

There's really not much more to evaluate a head coach on, his w/l record sucks badly...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew you were going to go all Texans game on me.... I knew it!!! My boy Hanson cost us that game too, but Jimbo did basically buttfuck his own team by tossing the red flag. (only the Lions get that call, or don't get that call, either way you wanna look at it, but I saw several teams get their hanky handed back when they did exactly what Jim did). Two paragraphs down....

I agree that we got fucked whole sale on all accounts, but a head coach has to know that rule, and has to know that play is automatically reviewed. Only bad things could have came from throwing that flag, and a head coach has to know that. There's no place for temper tantrums when you're getting paid what he is to win games.

At the very least Billy Ford should have publicly fined him...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your stance on scrubs and my stance on Schwartz have similarities. Or maybe it's vice versa. In one area, we are patient and give room for improvement and growth. Understanding and appreciating that the mans starting point wasnt exactly at a great point to get a career off to an impressive start. And in the other, we've seen enough to have made up our minds that it's time to move on. As there isn't much to lose when finding a replacement. (However, you're at a distinct advantage on being right, as Jimmy ain't gettin braids!)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little pissed off she didn't just build me a new one out of an old toaster! I mean, seriously, talk about bad ruck.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? That doesn't make sense, guy.

You said Schwartz is building a team through the draft, and I countered that Mayhew is the one making the draft day decisions. Don't try to shift the topic here. I don't like Schwartz, and I won't try to say otherwise, but let's stay on the topic at hand and not try to make this debate into something it isn't.
Lol... I didn't try to shift anything... I don't care what the rest of the league or populous thinks about Schwartz. The man is fighting for the Lions and took on the challenge when he came here to change the organization for the better. I think the fickled fan base is the only thing that will change that.
You support Schwartz, which is just fine,
I support Schwartz to a point.
Head games with officials just might work for Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz | MLive.com
It's not about Mayhew at all...
Then you should've left it alone instead of bringing him up.
His career record as a head coach is 22-42 man.
JIMINY CRICKET, you know that stats don't always tell the REAL story.
The turning point for me was the Houston game on national TV on Thanksgiving. His temper-tantrum (which wasn't the first one, won't be the last) literally cost us the game.
LOL... it kept the Lions from drafting 7th and changed a bad rule.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Lions fan, but I have watched a few games over the past 2 years. 1 thing that has always shocked me is the lack of discipline. They get consistently flagged for unnecessary penalties and miss routine assignments on both sides of the ball. That is on the coach. Schwartz has not impressed me at all.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I know you all remember the Thanksgiving day gaffe when Schwartz cost the Lions a win by throwing his challenge flag at the wrong time. That kind of impulsive behavior is exactly how his players act.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I know you all remember the Thanksgiving day gaffe when Schwartz cost the Lions a win by throwing his challenge flag at the wrong time.
Already been covered....in depth. ;)

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already been covered....in depth. ;)

My point is that teams take on the personality of their head coach. The Lions have done just that, and it isn't a good thing.