• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU to the Big 12 in the next two days...

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a good read on a lot of what is being discussed in this thread...
including viewership in New York...

Click here to read entire article...

Here is copy and paste version of above...

Credits to: By Teddy Greenstein, Tribune reporter
4:48 p.m. CDT, October 25, 2011

West Virginia's move could prompt Irish to think Big Ten

West Virginia's pending move to the Big 12 could lead the Big Ten to seriously re-examine whether to expand again.

With West Virginia set to depart, the decaying Big East will lose its flagship football program. Syracuse and Pittsburgh already have flocked to the ACC, leaving the Big East with just five football schools and an increasingly uncertain future.

Even if the Big East can rebuild by adding the likes of Navy, UCF, Houston, SMU, Air Force and Boise State a big if the question is whether Notre Dame will want to continue its non-football association with the league.

The Irish have at least four options: Maintain the status quo as long as possible; join the Big Ten, ACC or Big 12; vie to move all of its non-football teams to the ACC or Big 12.

While ACC commissioner John Swofford has said that partial membership is not on the table, Orangebloods.com reported that the scenario is being actively discussed in the Big 12, citing the close ties between Irish athletic director Jack Swarbrick and his counterpart at Texas, DeLoss Dodds.

If Notre Dame finally says yes to the Big Ten, the league of Legends and Leaders would look to add a 14th school. Many that the conference examined before adding Nebraska Missouri, Pittsburgh, Syracuse have relocated, leaving Maryland and Rutgers.

Rutgers athletics director Tim Pernetti released a statement Tuesday, saying he is extremely confident that once realignment shakes out, the result with be very positive for Rutgers.

Some roll their eyes at the thought that Rutgers would give the Big Ten the New York market, but numbers support it.

A detailed New York Times study of the 210 television markets found that New York has about 3 million college football fans, and 20.9 percent of those chose Rutgers as their favorite team. That's almost equal to those naming Notre Dame (9.2 percent), Penn State (6.4) and UConn (5.2) combined.

And on Friday night, the Rutgers-Louisville game on ESPN2 drew twice the number of New York City viewers as Syracuse's upset of West Virginia, which ESPN televised. Rutgers has been part of four of the five highest-rated games in New York City on both ESPN and ESPN2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to say the least! Did not think Rutgers would pull such numbers...

WoodyHayes1951

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want to play in the puny Rutgers stadium. Either play us in the Meadowlands or get a real stadium.

We got enough 50,000 seat places with NU,Minny and IU.

WoodyHayes1951

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame isn't coming.Not going to happen. I'd rather have VaTech anyway.

What does Notre Dame bring? more eyeballs? Great. What does that really do for me? Not much. We're already the most popular team in the country in a conference with the Top 3.

VaTech actually brings something besides leather helmets and Rudy fans

Great recruiting, Great State, Good Academics.

VaTech is a pretty good option and I would like to see them join.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame isn't coming.Not going to happen. I'd rather have VaTech anyway.

What does Notre Dame bring? more eyeballs? Great. What does that really do for me? Not much. We're already the most popular team in the country in a conference with the Top 3.

VaTech actually brings something besides leather helmets and Rudy fans

Great recruiting, Great State, Good Academics.

VaTech is a pretty good option and I would like to see them join.

Yep.. me too, Vtech would be great as they travel well too...

Not hung up on ND one way or the other... and Rutgers... meh... no appeal to me... but I am in the furthest Western State of the Big Ten... so???

I thought nwesten seated more than 50K...?

WVU

Lets Go!!!..Mountaineers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great for the program and conference!

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
less actually.

Hmmm, well what can you do... if that is all they have then... so be it.

Once our upgrade is done we will be at around 92,000 and I think that will be the 4th largest in the Big Ten behind PSU, Ohio St and Mich... I think anyways...

WoodyHayes1951

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, well what can you do... if that is all they have then... so be it.

Once our upgrade is done we will be at around 92,000 and I think that will be the 4th largest in the Big Ten behind PSU, Ohio St and Mich... I think anyways...

Nice.

We can afford the few puny stadiums.
3- 100K
1- 90K(once the expansion takes place)
1- 80K
2- 70K
2- 60K

And then the 3 scrubs.

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1. It's not a blanket assumption about some schools. It's actually very simple. To continue using Rutgers as my whipping boy, if you ask a Rutgers grad what team they are a fan of, they are obviously going to say Rutgers. Now, look at Rutgers. The number of students they have at their main campus outnumbers the number of seats in their stadium. They also pump out 5 digits worth of grads a year. Yet, Rutgers cannot fill their tiny stadium, even with tons of "fans" in the area. To say that 1 Rutgers fan = 1 Nebraska fan in terms of counting a fanbase is moronic.

2. I don't think any 1 team gives you the DC market. Hell, Redskin fans would outnumber every college team combined in that city. A combo of Maryland, UVa and VT would be as good as it gets though, and I also think you need both UVa and VT to get the state of Virginia on the BTN. My main point is that taking 2 schools for the state of Virginia/DC is simply not worth it when you could be going for NJ/NY/CT.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say I was surprised at the numbers that were relayed in the article above (Post#81)... Not that any of this means crap yet... but The Chi Tribune layed out some of the issues at had.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Tech doesn't travel well... Look at all the empty ACC Championship Games and Orange Bowl Games Va Tech has been in.

I thought Va Tech also had rivalries with West Virginia and Miami. Logistically it doesn't make sense. That is like UCLA joining the SEC. Yes UCLA would add another major market to the SEC and they are great academically but they are not a Southeastern team and they would leave all their rivals to go play in the SEC. It makes 0 sense.

Georgia Tech hasn't been good since 1991 and they were mostly taking advantage of a weak conference. That team has been on free fall ever since they left the SEC in 1960s. Trust me, they are in the shadow of UGA. I think UGA has won 10 out of the last 11 games.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn and West Virginia to the ACC makes the most FUCKING SENSE out of anything. ACC could really use another football team and West Virginia was their best option. It also keeps most the Eastern rivalries intact.

In fact that 16 team ACC is pretty much just the origional ACC and Big East combined. That would be a great league.

SEC should just grab a mid-major in a new market such as East Carolina. I hear that their average attendance is 50k to a game which is the highest among mid-majors. We will eventually pull them up as we did South Carolina (who was barely above mid-major status when they first joined the SEC). I would like to trade the Gamecocks for Clemson if the ACC would take that offer.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Tech doesn't travel well... Look at all the empty ACC Championship Games and Orange Bowl Games Va Tech has been in.

I thought Va Tech also had rivalries with West Virginia and Miami. Logistically it doesn't make sense. That is like UCLA joining the SEC. Yes UCLA would add another major market to the SEC and they are great academically but they are not a Southeastern team and they would leave all their rivals to go play in the SEC. It makes 0 sense.

Georgia Tech hasn't been good since 1991 and they were mostly taking advantage of a weak conference. That team has been on free fall ever since they left the SEC in 1960s. Trust me, they are in the shadow of UGA. I think UGA has won 10 out of the last 11 games.

They did not sell out ONE ACC championship game, and that was because it was a week after the season ended and a bunch of shit had to happen for them to even go. Nobody had plans, and a trip to fucking Florida is not that simple. Now that the game is in Charlotte, look at what happened last season...sellout. As for the bowls, there are plenty of Hokies there, they just buy the better tickets from the bowl, not through the school. Hell, we bought half of YOUR tickets to the Peach Bowl a couple years back. We travel. Ask any ACC fans.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did not sell out ONE ACC championship game, and that was because it was a week after the season ended and a bunch of shit had to happen for them to even go. Nobody had plans, and a trip to fucking Florida is not that simple. Now that the game is in Charlotte, look at what happened last season...sellout. As for the bowls, there are plenty of Hokies there, they just buy the better tickets from the bowl, not through the school. Hell, we bought half of YOUR tickets to the Peach Bowl a couple years back. We travel. Ask any ACC fans.

Compared to ACC teams not named Clemson or FSU, I would probably agree with you.

Clemson and FSU are the only teams that bring large football crowds. Now if the ACC would get off their high horse and offer West Virginia (a traditional rival to multiple ACC schools), they would get another football program that has a fanbase on par with Clemson and FSU.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compared to ACC teams not named Clemson or FSU, I would probably agree with you.

Clemson and FSU are the only teams that bring large football crowds. Now if the ACC would get off their high horse and offer West Virginia (a traditional rival to multiple ACC schools), they would get another football program that has a fanbase on par with Clemson and FSU.

Our fanbase is on par with either of those. hell, those fanbases don't evene sell out all of their HOME games. Ask aTm or LSU or Nebraska if we travel.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They showed up here in Lincoln Nebraska in force when they played us... and were great to have.... Respectable and solid fans all around... I again would love to have them be part of the Big Ten. They are too good for the ACC quality wise and are too good for the SEC reputation wise other than LSU... Oh shit... now I have done it... here comes the SEC posters... :bounce:

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Huh?

WVU only sells out if its a big game. If it's not, they only get around 40,000-45,000. Hell, their head coach lashed out at a press conference a few weeks ago about how awful their fanbase is.

Their fanbase only looks good because they're the tallest in the midget conference.