• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU to the Big 12 in the next two days...

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If ND goes to the B10, the target isn't going to be VT and GT. The target will be securing the big 4 cities in NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC.

Maryland and Cuse will both be getting a call should ND want in the B10.

Hell, if the SEC makes a play too and grabs Clemson and FSU, VT will find itself buddying up with Cincy and USF.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The east coast connection is very important for maintaining our fanbase. We don't want to turn into the next PSU who decimated their fanbase when they became viewed as a midwestern team.

2. Michigan can still go to hell for twice trying to kill our program simply because we were a Catholic school.

3. Academically, we are an absolutely terrible fit with the B10.

1. How would playing in the Big Ten decimate your fanbase? They won't come to the games that you already play int he midwest? How many east coast games do you play right now? As for PSU, I live in Pennsylvania and spent most of my life outside of DC and their fanbase didn't seem to drop at all when they joined. They have no problem selling out their games or getting on TV in the mid-atantic.

2. I don't know the back story.

3. The Big Ten is as good as any other conference in the country academically.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If ND goes to the B10, the target isn't going to be VT and GT. The target will be securing the big 4 cities in NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC.

Nope....and if you had any connections at Notre Dame, you would know thins. This info is not coming from anyone at either Tech, it is coming from the boys in your camp. They want the Techs and either Maryland or Rutgers.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard Rutgers for whatever reason... a long time ago... NY market... hell there is no mass Rutgers following... I suspect it is base purely on television sets in homes there... not fan favorites...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hell, if the SEC makes a play too and grabs Clemson and FSU, VT will find itself buddying up with Cincy and USF.

You are so out of touch with what is actually going on right now, it is comical.
:L

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1. How would playing in the Big Ten decimate your fanbase? They won't come to the games that you already play int he midwest? How many east coast games do you play right now? As for PSU, I live in Pennsylvania and spent most of my life outside of DC and their fanbase didn't seem to drop at all when they joined. They have no problem selling out their games or getting on TV in the mid-atantic.

2. I don't know the back story.

3. The Big Ten is as good as any other conference in the country academically.

1. In the 1980s, PSU had fans all across NE, NY and NJ. Now, they're down to a few pockets in eastern Jersey, and a few pockets in southern NY.

2. Twice ND applied to the B10. Twice Michigan was the only no vote. Twice Michigan tried to get the rest of the B10 teams to stop playing us. The main reason behind the USC rivalry is because we were concerned all of the local powerhouses were going to stop scheduling us.

3. The B10 is an amazing academic conference. The issue is, the B10 focuses on grad programs, and requires grad school spending. ND has traditionally ignored grad programs, and focuses almost all of it's efforts on the undergrad education.

The ACC on the other hand, has schools like Duke, Wake, BC and Miami, who are very similar to ND in terms of academic goals.

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All of the info on ND boards suggests that the goal would be to make an impact on the East Coast, and get the B10 network aired in the highly populated Mid-Atlantic.

From what we've heard on our end, the big reason behind the Mizzou denial was they want to make an east coast push.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK.. let me throw a wild pitch here...

Could Missouri be speaking with Big Ten presently...?

Rutgers and Missouri were both on the master list when this shit all started to unfold?

Sick of it personally...

Fucking Huskers had to run away from Texas.... :pound:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the info on ND boards suggests that the goal would be to make an impact on the East Coast, and get the B10 network aired in the highly populated Mid-Atlantic.

From what we've heard on our end, the big reason behind the Mizzou denial was they want to make an east coast push.

You get the DC market with Virginia Tech. 2/3 of their students come from there as does a large majority of their alumni.

You get Atlanta with GT.

The coverage of DC could be redoubled with Mwryland or you can go after they mythical New York market (that doesn't exist for college football) by adding Rutgers.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Notre Dame joins the Big 10, and is mediocre there, they will basically be viewed as a mediocre midwesterns team and have no recruiting connections to Florida or the East coast.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Notre Dame joins the Big 10, and is mediocre there, they will basically be viewed as a mediocre midwesterns team and have no recruiting connections to Florida or the East coast.

As opposed to being a mediocre independant?

Not sure I follow... BSF

I think the biggest sticking point for ND is the guaranteed bowl game issue... and that needs to be nipped in the bud regardless of where the land or if they stay indy...

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As opposed to being a mediocre independant?

Not sure I follow... BSF

I think the biggest sticking point for ND is the guaranteed bowl game issue... and that needs to be nipped in the bud regardless of where the land or if they stay indy...

when they're independent they can act like they're "special" if they're in a conference and aren't very good they're basically more buried in irrelevancy.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when they're independent they can act like they're "special" if they're in a conference and aren't very good they're basically more buried in irrelevancy.

OK, I guess....

I have not considered ND as being relevant for a very long time. (1980s)

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The bowl game has nothing to do with being independent.

It's all about the fanbase. We don't have a state that's ours. We don't have a geographic territory locked down. If our fans consisted of just northern Indiana, we would have a high-school sized stadium.

Our fans come from Seattle to Miami to Boston to San Diego. Hell, we even have more international fan clubs than most teams have in the US. If we join a conference, we resign to putting almost all of our games in a small tiny area of the country, and gradually, we would lose our national fanbase.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bowl game has nothing to do with being independent.

It's all about the fanbase. We don't have a state that's ours. We don't have a geographic territory locked down. If our fans consisted of just northern Indiana, we would have a high-school sized stadium.

Our fans come from Seattle to Miami to Boston to San Diego. Hell, we even have more international fan clubs than most teams have in the US. If we join a conference, we resign to putting almost all of our games in a small tiny area of the country, and gradually, we would lose our national fanbase.

nope.

i have friends from VT living in all parts of the country, and virtually everyone of them knows of a bar in their area that is "the Hokie bar" come game days...decorated VT, packed with Hokie fans...

as long as ND keeps pumping out grads (assuming they move away from South Bend), they will have fans all across the country

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1. VT may have a bar. ND has tons. If VTech plays a game in Philly, NYC or Chicago, then fans might travel there for the game. If ND goes to one of those cities, the fans that live there are enough to pack the stadium.

2. ND doesn't pump out grads, the vast majority of the fanbase has no tie to the school. If only alumni were fans, ND would be as big as Wake Forest.

3. GT gives you the Atlanta market? Huh? And no, VT does not give you the DC area either.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. VT may have a bar. ND has tons. If VTech plays a game in Philly, NYC or Chicago, then fans might travel there for the game. If ND goes to one of those cities, the fans that live there are enough to pack the stadium.

2. ND doesn't pump out grads, the vast majority of the fanbase has no tie to the school. If only alumni were fans, ND would be as big as Wake Forest.

3. GT gives you the Atlanta market? Huh? And no, VT does not give you the DC area either.

That last statement in point three there is asinine, but I digress. Here's some interesting reading from Gene Wojo on ESPN today.

Well, it's nice to see that Notre Dame is only a few dotted i's and crossed t's from joining the ACC as a full-time member. Like many of you, I can't wait until the big ND-North Carolina State game.

Oh, wait -- an ACC merger deal with the Irish isn't done yet? I'm confused.

[+] EnlargeJohn Swofford
Sam Sharpe/US PresswireCan John Swofford lure Notre Dame to the ACC? It remains to be seen.

Didn't ACC commish John Swofford recently and openly discuss a hypothetical involving the possible availability of Notre Dame? Hasn't Duke hoops coach Mike Krzyzewski all but given his powerful blessings to the move, but with one provision: ND has to agree to equal revenue sharing? Didn't NC State basketball coach Mike Gottfried, when discussing ACC expansion and the Irish, tell ESPN's Andy Katz, "I don't think this is over yet"?

So now the ACC is just waiting for the paperwork from Notre Dame and we're good to go, right?

Not exactly. But the ACC, which is getting a major blood transfusion from Big East defectors, remains the leader in the Notre Dame clubhouse -- if the Irish decide to give up their precious indie status.

The ACC will continue to do its expansion dance with UConn and Rutgers as the conference's 15th and 16th teams, but Notre Dame is its obvious prime target. Then UConn and Rutgers would have a death-cage match for the remaining ACC spot.

Don't know if you noticed, but the new athletic director at North Carolina is Bubba Cunningham, a Notre Dame grad and former ND associate AD.

Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch is a former Notre Dame provost and history professor. All three of his kids are ND grads.

Duke athletic director Kevin White came to Durham from -- wait for it -- Notre Dame.

Gene Corrigan, a former Notre Dame AD and former ACC commissioner, lives in ACC country (Charlottesville, Va.) and remains a valuable resource.

Those are a lot of dots to connect, but the point is this: Notre Dame will have a safe, comfortable academic and sports haven if it joins the ACC, especially if you divide the 16-team conference into something like this:

North: Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse, UConn, Maryland, Boston College, Virginia and Virgina Tech.
South: Duke, Carolina, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, North Carolina State, Wake Forest and Florida State.

Truth is, ND's division is more Big East than ACC, which is what the Irish would prefer anyway. Major parts of their alumni base and recruiting are located in the Northeast markets.

Meanwhile, the Big East is doomed. Notre Dame, which is a member of the league in all sports but football, won't stick around for the wake. Combine that with a possible future change in the postseason football dynamic, and the Irish could be in options mode.

Equal revenue sharing? Sorry, I don't think ND is going to give up its NBC money. But some sort of transitional deal could be worked out with its new ACC brothers.

Resistance from ND traditionalists who want the school to keep its football independence? Sure, but nothing that ND athletic director Jack Swarbrick and ND president Rev. John Jenkins can't overcome.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you're right...i forgot that most ND fans in our generation came from the movie Rudy...once TBS stops replaying that ND's fan base is really going to be hurting